Russell Wilson- the silently elite QB

Ruminator

Reaction score
Don't forget the bring-him-along-slowly factor. RW was largely limited in the first few games, they say.

kf3339

Reaction score
I would not put Wilson in the "Elite" category this soon, but he is definitely making a believer out of me. But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working. I have not seen this which is a credit to all of the other areas of strength on this team.

But the question of is he our true QBOTF has been answered. He needs to keep improving and get his YPG up to at least the mid 200's game in and game out. I believe this will come in time, but probably next year.

But the TD/INT ratio is very strong and even his yards per attempt is looking really good!

Keep up the good work RW!

Kolsteseahawks

Reaction score
I believe Wilson is the franchise QB, but I think u guys are taking this a little too far. Wilson's QBR this year which is a lot more accurate than QB rating is a 56, which is slightly above average, You guys are calling him elite. He's a good starting QB now, he might be elite in the future.

Sac

Reaction score
kf3339":c30uiek9 said:
But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working.

Dude, RW has two 4th quarter comeback victories already in his career, and it would have been three if the Defense didn't lay an egg at the end of the Detroit game.

If that's not putting the team on your back I don't know what it.

suppaball

Reaction score
Big Russ, the skies the limit for this kid. I can't wait to see what he will be like in a couple of years.

Tical21

Reaction score
Wilson made a couple unbelievable plays today. The backhand flip was amazing, and the ball he threw to Rice could not have been thrown better, but for the large part of the game today, Wilson looked helplessly lost. He just had no idea what he was looking at against Ryan's 3-4 until the Jets proved so dismal that the game got out of hand. That was one of the worst teams that I have seen in a while out there today. If we were playing against a better offense that wasn't completely inept, this game might have looked much different. I fully understand that rookies are going to struggle against tricky 3-4 defenses, but to call that performance today anywhere near elite just isn't correct. I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2lvwtui5 said:
As far as kearly's post.. I wouldn't say Wilson is elite yet. He has a very solid completion percentage and TD/INT ratio (10 to 2 over the last five weeks) .. but he's been sub 200 yards in 7 of 10 starts. That's anything but elite. That's Alex Smith.

He's doing well though limiting mistakes and has shown marked improvement over his last five starts compared to his first five starts. But saying he's elite and Hall-of-Fame bound is extremely premature IMO.
The "Sub 200" is because Pete has been commited to the run game, Y'know, Lynch?, Turbin?, AND Pete had him on a pretty short leash, and wanted him to digest a more limited playbook, you know?, kinda like Holmgren did with Matt Hasselbeck (Mr. August), only difference is, Hasselbeck got pulled and replaced by Trent Dilfer, because he was losing too many games,,Can't say the same thing about Russell Wilson can we.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2kb8twui said:
Wilson made a couple unbelievable plays today. The backhand flip was amazing, and the ball he threw to Rice could not have been thrown better, but for the large part of the game today, Wilson looked helplessly lost. He just had no idea what he was looking at against Ryan's 3-4 until the Jets proved so dismal that the game got out of hand. That was one of the worst teams that I have seen in a while out there today. If we were playing against a better offense that wasn't completely inept, this game might have looked much different. I fully understand that rookies are going to struggle against tricky 3-4 defenses, but to call that performance today anywhere near elite just isn't correct. I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.
Bullsh*t, the Jets Coaching staff game planned for Wilson, and figgured they could rattle him enough to neutralize him.
Wilson burned the Jets quite a few times with TD, and runs (RGIII style), PLUS, the Jets Coaches hadn't planned on Pete and Co. to come up with a few trick plays to score 28 points, hell, even Tate threw for more yards than Sanchez (ZERO TD's), and that's what I'd call a Quarterback looking "just about as bad as a QB can look"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kf3339":3k7jn3da said:
I would not put Wilson in the "Elite" category this soon, but he is definitely making a believer out of me. But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working. I have not seen this which is a credit to all of the other areas of strength on this team.

But the question of is he our true QBOTF has been answered. He needs to keep improving and get his YPG up to at least the mid 200's game in and game out. I believe this will come in time, but probably next year.

But the TD/INT ratio is very strong and even his yards per attempt is looking really good!

Keep up the good work RW!
Hell yea, Hasselbeck lost what?, 8 games before getting pulled and replaced by Dilfer?
RW is doing a great job for being a rook, and 28 to 7 is pretty damn good, because it meant that the whole Offense rose to meet the challenge of the swarming Jets Defense :th2thumbs:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm confused when people want Wilson to be at certain numbers. All I want him to do is win the game for us. Throw for only 10 yards, win by 50 points? who cares?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3szb9z03 said:
I'm not a Wilson hater by any stretch, but for 30 minutes, he looked just about as bad as a QB can look.

I was with you until this part. Wilson played smart football. He was unproductive at his worst, but never terrible. He finished with zero interceptions and never came close to having one. And it's not like elite QBs always play 4 quarters either. It's pretty typical for a great QB to have an ebb and flow, to build the bulk of his stats on a few key drives.

Good plus bad, Wilson finished with a passer rating north of 130. Good plus bad, the team was perfect in the red zone. Good plus bad, the Seahawks were a solid 6/14 on 3rd+4th down (43%). Good plus bad, the Seahawks pretty much dominated the game, finishing with 363 yards of offense and winning time of possesion by 12 minutes and change.

Matt Stafford put his team on his back to beat us- giving maybe the best QB performance against us all season, and he still had about 2 full quarters of seeming ineptitude. It's not always about playing 4 full quarters every game. If a QB regularly did that his offense would be scoring 45 points a game. Very few QBs in history have lived up to that standard. If you define elite as 2011 Rodgers/Brees or 2007/2010 Brady, then yeah, Wilson is nowhere close to elite. I'm not saying he's playing at an all time great level, looking unstoppable in every quarter of every game. I do think he's quietly elite in terms of overall efficiency compared to his 2012 peers.

roiyair

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Russel, calling him elite is way off.
He has improved tremendously but if he were truly elite we would've seen the ball in his hands way more then 20 times per game. Think about other elite QB's and how often have you seen them finish a game with 18 attempts?
He has done everything we've asked so far and I'm excited to see him improving weekly but if you have an elite QB your offense is built around him and I don't care whats your "identity".

debevemos

Reaction score
I'm not ready to call Russell Wilson an elite QB, that definitely seems premature. I'd say he's playing at an above average level right now and showing us he could develop into elite one day. Wilson had a tough start to the season but week after week he has shown a remarkable ability to correct his mistakes and add to his repertoire.

Ruminator":2q8hnvbw said:
My two cents is: In order for this team to become legitimately dangerous in the playoffs, the FO needs to be cognizant of the fact a bolstered OL is a much greater need than an improved WR corp.

I agree 100% with bolstering the OL... We've been witnessing the development of Wilson with the receivers the last few weeks. You can tell they are doing a better job working together and getting open. An improved OL will only aid our already dominant running game and with improved pass protection you can expect more through the air as well.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Kolsteseahawks":2pn41ept said:
I believe Wilson is the franchise QB, but I think u guys are taking this a little too far. Wilson's QBR this year which is a lot more accurate than QB rating is a 56, which is slightly above average, You guys are calling him elite. He's a good starting QB now, he might be elite in the future.

If QBR was the gold standard why isn't everyone using it?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Here is how I know the kid is "elite": There will be little if any talk that we need a first round QB next year. RW has killed that kind of talk.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
The only thing that is keeping this kid from being deemed an elite QB (by those that already don't) is statistics. What the hell are stats? An elite QB is exactly what we have here in Seattle right now. If we had a defense that consistently gave up 30 pts per game...Russ would be passing the ball 35 times and his stats would look more "elite". But we don't...and we have a top-5 running game to boot. Russ can do anything on the field, he can- and does- make almost any throw, he can avoid the rush and improvise as good as most, he is extremely cerebral and very prepared week in and week out, his leadership is fantastic, his maturity level and poise are stellar...is he playing at an elite level? I guess it's all relative...and relative to the opportunities that he is given...yes he indeed is. This kid is PURE STUD.

To me it's a no-brainer.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2zq5xsrs said:
kf3339":2zq5xsrs said:
But to be really Elite he needs to be able to put the team on his back when every thing is breaking down and will the team to victory. That means the defense, running game and special teams not working.

Dude, RW has two 4th quarter comeback victories already in his career, and it would have been three if the Defense didn't lay an egg at the end of the Detroit game.

If that's not putting the team on your back I don't know what it.

Agreed.