One thing that really impresses me regarding Wilson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Early in the game, I felt like Wilson was flustered a bit by the Jets pressure.. the Jets front 4 did a real good job crashing the pocket and making Wilson run for dear life. And Wilson made a couple mistakes that you never want your quarterback to make, of course one of those turned into the Jets only touchdown.

However, you wouldn't know it. You really never know it. He reacts the same way after a turnover as he does a touchdown pass.

And that I think impresses me more than anything else about him. I don't think he's the savior of the franchise like many on here will paint him to be, nor will I say he's Drew Brees II (at least not yet, maybe one day) - but the guy just has this calming demeanor to him.. and it was even more apparent seeing his opposing QB today. Mark Sanchez, you almost feel for the guy, the first bad throw or mistake Sanchez made and you can tell it was just downhill from there. His self-esteem is non-existent. I think the same can be said about Cam Newton.

Russell Wilson is one mentally strong QB.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Cool as a Cucumber
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Wait you don't think RW is the savior of our franchise?

Savior of our franchise essentially means QBOTF, so WTF?
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• It' called preparation.

Besides Peyton, no one less prepares better that RW.

His investment in his, and the Hawks, future is undeniable.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck is slowly converting to the cult of Wilsonism.

Maybe the sky really is falling!
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• hawksfan515 wrote:Wait you don't think RW is the savior of our franchise?

He could be. I just think that designation is premature 10 games in.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I'll sidestep the QBOTF talk, and just say that him coming back after that start - to have a great game - is significant.
    Remembering rookies will play like rookies, since 2012.
    JerHawk81
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:Wait you don't think RW is the savior of our franchise?

Hmm... Alright. Maybe 11 games? :)

can't fault us for being optimistic though. You know what other QB's we've burned through? I'll give you a hint, a lot of them SUCK. And even when they didn't they usually took some time to develop. Wilson's just getting in there as a rookie and getting it done, so the fans of course are ecstatic.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I'm impressed by all that stuff as well... But you know, he's really young and just light years ahead of others in his professionalism. You know you just want to grab and guy and tell him to not show his frustrations during a game, no matter how heavy they are. And don't flip out when you throw a TD. He just does it. It's really hard for me to fathom this kid because he feels like a guy who's been to every pro bowl and has earned every accolade you can achieve. It's amazing to me. Simply remarkable.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:He could be. I just think that designation is premature 10 games in.

Oh, but designating Flynn as the worthier QB after 4 games was perfectly timely. ;)
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Lets all just get along.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:He could be. I just think that designation is premature 10 games in.

Oh, but designating Flynn as the worthier QB after 4 games was perfectly timely. ;)

Ha. Fair enough. Although I never christened Matt Flynn to be the savior either, just said if Wilson continued to struggle as he did early on .. Flynn deserved a chance to at least give it a go. Which comes full circle to this thread, a weaker minded QB might have let the bad set of games snowball into something worse. Wilson seemed to use it to play much better football, of which, I tip my hat to him.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• hawksfan515 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    hawksfan515 wrote:Wait you don't think RW is the savior of our franchise?

Hmm... Alright. Maybe 11 games? :)

can't fault us for being optimistic though. You know what other QB's we've burned through? I'll give you a hint, a lot of them SUCK. And even when they didn't they usually took some time to develop. Wilson's just getting in there as a rookie and getting it done, so the fans of course are ecstatic.

And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

(Nothing against Hass of course. I was a gigantic fan : )
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• gargantual wrote:And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

I think there are a few reasons for this. Matt started back when the rules weren't so catered to the offense. Defensive backs were allowed to be a lot more physical with WR's than they are now. Holmgren's version of the WCO was predicated on timing and rhythm .. so naturally one of the ways to counter that is to rough up the WR's on the line of scrimmage and disrupt the routes. So I think this played a role.

I also think more often than not.. Matt was his own worst enemy early on. He's talked about that many times that early in his career as a starter he would do things his way and not the way Holmgren wanted. He was quite rebellious and arrogant. When he started to buy in, ironically after losing his job, he played a lot better.

Wilson is playing in an era where defenders have a much more difficult time in the passing game. So that definitely helps him, and all the other rookies for that matter, get accustomed to the pro game. I also think Wilson at age 23 is probably a more mature player than Hasselbeck was at age 25/26 when his career began.. which goes a long way towards developing a QB.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    gargantual wrote:And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

I think there are a few reasons for this. Matt started back when the rules weren't so catered to the offense. Defensive backs were allowed to be a lot more physical with WR's than they are now. Holmgren's version of the WCO was predicated on timing and rhythm .. so naturally one of the ways to counter that is to rough up the WR's on the line of scrimmage and disrupt the routes. So I think this played a role.

I also think more often than not.. Matt was his own worst enemy early on. He's talked about that many times that early in his career as a starter he would do things his way and not the way Holmgren wanted. He was quite rebellious and arrogant. When he started to buy in, ironically after losing his job, he played a lot better.

Wilson is playing in an era where defenders have a much more difficult time in the passing game. So that definitely helps him, and all the other rookies for that matter, get accustomed to the pro game. I also think Wilson at age 23 is probably a more mature player than Hasselbeck was at age 25/26 when his career began.. which goes a long way towards developing a QB.

So basically Wilson is the much better player? :D

But seriously, don't make too many excuses for young Hasselbeck. And also, Russell's gotta deal with the height issue and he's handled it like a champ.

It's hard to do well as a rookie, and as a QB in this league. Wilson's doing well as both, and that's why we're all (yeah I know prematurely) saying he's our QBOTF.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I have no problems at all calling Wilson our QBOTF, he's playing fantastic
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I agree 100%. This kid has nothin' but ice running through his veins. Incredible.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• I think the real storyline of the season is Hasselbeck saying something positive about RW! Things must be going well!
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

• jkitsune wrote:I think the real storyline of the season is Hasselbeck saying something positive about RW! Things must be going well!

A 2 game win streak (which could have been a 3 game win streak) will do that.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Hasselbeck wrote:

Matt started playing for the Hawks in 2001.

The rule change associated with "no contact beyond 5 yards" started in 1979. It used to be 10 yards.

I'm curious as to what rules you're referring to that "weren't so catered to the offense" that affected Matt's stats and performance.

Certainly the more recent rule changes to protect the QB and defenseless receivers have been recent but I don't believe that you are referring to them.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• If you don't see the difference in today's passing game and how it is translating to an enormously high success rate for rookie QB's then there is no reason trying to explain it. You almost have to try to not see the difference.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• he's solid under pressure i'll give him that.. but boy when he takes a sack, he takes a sack, UGLY lol... no more of those sack fumbles for 6 there RW....
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• onanygivensunday wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:

The rule change associated with "no contact beyond 5 yards" started in 1979. It used to be 10 yards.

I'm curious as to what rules you're referring to that "weren't so catered to the offense" that affected Matt's stats and performance.

Certainly the more recent rule changes to protect the QB and defenseless receivers have been recent but I don't believe that you are referring to them.

Thanks for sharing. I was about to ask. Alot of the media keep making statements about how it's alot easier to pass today than 10-15 years ago. As far as I can remember the 5 yard rule has been around. Not much different than in the 90's. The only thing I can think of is the over the middle hits. Over the last few years they really made it difficult for a defender to unload on a WR over the middle with all the defensless players rules.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:he's solid under pressure i'll give him that.. but boy when he takes a sack, he takes a sack, UGLY lol... no more of those sack fumbles for 6 there RW....

Agreed a couple times on Sunday and throughout the year I'm yelling at the TV "THROW IT AWAY!!!"
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• The thing about Wilson is, he is very hard on himself, but he's realistically hard. He doesn't come down too hard on himself. He knows when he screwed up, but instead of beating himself up over it, he realizes he's going to make mistakes and he's dedicated himself to getting better and learning from them. He also knows to put the last play behind him, whether it be a TD or a pick six and stay focused on the next play.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• hate that rule, in it's current form.. yes there should be some level of protection as far as helmet to helmet on a defensless player, but if you lead with the shoulder, you should be allowed to unload on them..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    gargantual wrote:And how far was Matty Hasselbeck 10 games into his first year here? Wilson seems just a bit ahead of the curve.

That could be true, but I always thought just the opposite, Matt was more in tune with Holmgren’s offense than the receivers and running backs were at that time. I always believed Hasselbeck made reads the receivers didn’t and hence looked awful at times.

It didn’t surprise me as the WRs became more familiar with reads in Mike’s version of the WCO Matt looked better and better. It’s equally hard to argue had Dilfer not gotten hurt he wouldn’t have progressed just as far, as the rest of the team did the same.

Matt just had a jump start and once EVERYONE was on the same page, he a hold on the position that couldn’t be shaken. That, his age, and he was handpicked by Holmgren. :P
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

• onanygivensunday wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:

This. In fact it wasn't more than a couple years ago that the NFL changed the force out rule. That helped defenses a lot.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• What we had this week was a mistake that didn't cost us the game. Sure the whole beginning period was rough, but the JETS have a talented enough defense to give the Hawks a different look.

Wilson's composure is huge. All his preparation will only get better with experience. I really see this as a big advantage with the home division games. A second look at teams, what they are doing in contrast to the actual game tape and game experience against our division rivals. I think there is going to be some second level stuff.

But my favorite thing about Wilson. While his composer makes him seem unflappable, We have never been out of a game with him in there. If someone, anyone, catches a pass from him in Arizona, he really would have been the hero that day. As it is, unflappable as he may look, he still seems to rise to the occasion.

I think we have a real shot to make the playoffs this year. I am a little suspicious. I think Wilson will show the tendency to be even better just because the game is bigger. Its just a sneaking suspicion, but I would put money on his will to win.
    madbohem
    NET Rookie

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information