Random Thoughts™ on the Jets game

Scottemojo

Reaction score
gargantual":3gmvgxho said:
Yeah, we gotta sign JJ, I'm thinkin'.

Wow this was up quick tonight Kearly (might even be a record), never seems like the game experience is complete until reading your synopsis. Thanks as always!
Kip actually wrote it before the game.

gargantual

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13eui2wa said:
gargantual":13eui2wa said:

Wow this was up quick tonight Kearly (might even be a record), never seems like the game experience is complete until reading your synopsis. Thanks as always!

Funny how after all the buildup this week nationally about how one-sided this game was going to be....it didn't feel like a blowout while watching the game, at least until the last quarter

gargantual

Reaction score
Scottemojo":zq4m2m76 said:
gargantual":zq4m2m76 said:

...........but in retrospect I guess he COULD'VE written it before hand :lol:

olyfan63

Reaction score
gargantual":2ih7ig63 said:
Scottemojo":2ih7ig63 said:
gargantual":2ih7ig63 said:

Funny how after all the buildup this week nationally about how one-sided this game was going to be....it didn't feel like a blowout while watching the game, at least until the last quarter

Yeah, it was 14-7 for the LOOOONGEST time... Without the Sherman pick, possibly a much closer game at the end. It didn't feel one sided, and the Jets do have a pretty good D. The productive running game in the 4th quarter was the payoff for sticking with running the football the whole game until wearing down the Jets D.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
olyfan63":7an8z0bw said:
The productive running game in the 4th quarter was the payoff for sticking with running the football the whole game until wearing down the Jets D.

I totally LOVE how we've been able to pound it out and eat the clock to finish the past two games. That's a sign of a team in control and imposing its will, even if it does take a while to get into gear.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2pve7key said:
Regarding the first paragraph: When yo'uve seen Carroll and Bevell time management, thats saying something!!

Seahawks fans have seemingly always bitched about clock management- save some of the best Holmgren years. I think our clock management is okay when you consider that the entire philosophy of this team is about burning the clock not saving it. Our offense is at it's best when it's playing a 4 minute offense with a balanced attack. Despite that, Seattle has had a decent number of scores this season near the end of halves, and that's not counting times when Seattle had the ball in fieldgoal range but kneeled down to end the game. I definitely wouldn't characterize our time management that negatively, context considered.

glasgow seahawks

Reaction score
From a hawk fan abroad, I really do enjoy thse write ups, and always look for it first the day after our games...keep it up sir

As for the game, watched it all on line. First half O-line struggled, Jets brough different looks, and Wislon made a few errors like trying to extend dead plays, or not throwing it away.

2nd half we made some adjustments, started to wear the jets D down, and eventually they folded. All in all a very good balanced game from the hawks. Next 2 games are huge though, away from home, 2 good defences, this will determine (in my opinion) our play off chances, and how much we have grown these past few weeks.

CaptainSkybeard

Reaction score
kearly":34ntv5am said:
But now that SF has tied, a tiebreaker will not come into play unless either Seattle or SF has an additional tie (and not against each other)

I don't quite get this. Yeah, I get if Seattle ties a tie breaker can happen. But if SF tied again? 2 ties do not add up to a win. 12-4 is still better than 11-3-2.

12thMan1

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1g9lm8ph said:
Hawkaholic":1g9lm8ph said:
and... he was just pointing it out. Some people do care what the call was
Thanks for pointing that out EastCoastHawksFan, I didn't hear that. Awesome to know Sherman took that upon himself to blitz on that play. Sure looked like it was designed

and....you need to keep reading through the whole post. What's up with the sensitivity on this board lately?

It's something new. We have big, physical corners....need to get more creative with our looks.

My original point was about the fact we showed something different, which I like. I'd like to see more of it.

Hopefully Sherman opened up Gus's eyes to something new that we could utilize more often in our blitz schemes. I've wondered why they haven't used Browner and Sherman blitzes especially in nickel and/or dime packages.

A

Anonymous

The Jets are one of the most inept offenses out there. The chance of one of their QB's reading Sherman or Browner about to blitz and changing the play to counteract it, are slim at best. Cheating a DB up to blitz off the edge against a Brady, a Manning brother, or a Rodgers, won't yield the same results we saw yesterday.

I'm sure Gus saw an opportunity with a high likelihood of success and went for it. Don't think we are suddenly going to be corner blitzing any time soon, especially against the Bears. We are more apt to see some interesting things involving ET than we are the DB's.

Jville

Reaction score
Mike Morgan looked better prepared this time around. He gives up some mass and weight as a replacement for KJ Wright. But his change of direction and range certainly caught my eye.

I thought the Jets made a point of probing his skills early on. However Morgan, with the help of teamates, held up well. All is all a very positive outing.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Jville":3pe76ehk said:
Mike Morgan looked better prepared this time around. He gives up some mass and weight as a replacement for KJ Wright. But his change of direction and range certainly caught my eye.

I thought the Jets made a point of probing his skills early on. However Morgan, with the help of teamates, held up well. All is all a very positive outing.

I have to give Props to Coach Norton. Morgan was ready and the linebackers have looked pretty solid all year with a rookie and a 2nd year guy playing

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":146dy1hk said:
good read

FlyingGreg":146dy1hk said:
It' s about time they showed a corner blitz...

It wasnt called that way , Sherman took it upon himself to blitz. His guy to cover was an eligible tackle , so he decided to blitz.. thats what he said on .com

Brilliant. I love that sort of awareness -- knowing the guy lined up across from you isn't going to be a major downfield threat, so a decision is made to take a risk and get after the quarterback instead. Beautiful.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
CaptainSkybeard":3u8zbpe7 said:
I don't quite get this. Yeah, I get if Seattle ties a tie breaker can happen. But if SF tied again? 2 ties do not add up to a win. 12-4 is still better than 11-3-2.

In the rule book it references records not as wins/losses but as "winning percentage." 12-4 is the same winning percentage as 11-3-2, since a tie is counted as half a win. So 11-3-2 = 11 +.5 +.5 /16 = .750 = 12-4.

sutz

Reaction score
olyfan63":26lom9sk said:
The productive running game in the 4th quarter was the payoff for sticking with running the football the whole game until wearing down the Jets D.
And that's kind of the whole point. Coaches almost all say, "We want to establish the run." But then, if they get stuffed a couple of times in the first quarter, all too many of them go pass happy for the rest of the game.

Coaches that are really dedicated to the run game will do like we did. Keep pounding it, even if it means a couple of extra 3 and outs and punts. Even if you don't rack up the yards in the first half, it still keeps the clock running, wears down the D, and tells your own players that we're going to do this. Then, late in the game, it tends to come together and the yards pile up. All the great RBs have done their best work in the 4th quarter, but only if the work was done early to allow it.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":1bmu6ekk said:
The Jets are one of the most inept offenses out there. The chance of one of their QB's reading Sherman or Browner about to blitz and changing the play to counteract it, are slim at best. Cheating a DB up to blitz off the edge against a Brady, a Manning brother, or a Rodgers, won't yield the same results we saw yesterday.

I'm sure Gus saw an opportunity with a high likelihood of success and went for it. Don't think we are suddenly going to be corner blitzing any time soon, especially against the Bears. We are more apt to see some interesting things involving ET than we are the DB's.

Gus Bradley didn't see anything. Sherman saw that they had a tackle lined up as a 3rd TE and he gambled that there'd be no chance they'd throw to him so he blitzed and left his man uncovered.

Great heads up play by UMB!

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Jville":gp3nxnb8 said:

He made a tremendous stop on 4th and 1.