Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:46 am
  • Remember game 1, when the way to beat the Hawks was blitz, blitz, blitz? The report was out on Wilson, the Cards showed the league what to do, and Wilson faced so much blitzing in the following weeks that if he hadn't been such a slippery squirrel, he would have been road kill. How times have changed.

    Against the Vikings, he only faced 8 rushes of 5 or more guys. Why? He was killing the blitz. He was 5 for 8 for 45 yards and two touchdowns vs the blitz.

    And he never even smiled while he was doing it.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 14663
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • We should nickname him "Ice"
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 928
    Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am
    Location: Kennewick, Wa


  • He's got the eyes of a serial killer.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: Blue Springs, Missouri


  • FlyingGreg wrote:He's got the eyes of a serial killer.


    That's one of the things I've noticed about him, too, and I think it's outstanding. He just seems to be able to dispassionately run the plays, and then put them behind him, whether they were good or bad. Then he goes about the next one, seeming to not get frazzled or upset (but not in a Charlie Whitehurst "Wooderson" kind of way).
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8860
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:20 am
    Location: Right outside Richard Sherman's house


  • Impressive stuff. Great QBs take opposing blitzes and exploit them all day long. Glad to see Russell Wilson adding another chalk mark to that QBOTF talk.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 16946
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • volsunghawk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:He's got the eyes of a serial killer.


    That's one of the things I've noticed about him, too, and I think it's outstanding. He just seems to be able to dispassionately run the plays, and then put them behind him, whether they were good or bad. Then he goes about the next one, seeming to not get frazzled or upset (but not in a Charlie Whitehurst "Wooderson" kind of way).


    Agreed. I was really impressed watching him in the SF game with all the dropped passes - his demenaor never changed. No shoulder sagging, no head shaking, just clapping his hands and looking to Bevell for the next play call.

    Just as impressively, when he hits a big play it's just business as usual. No silly celebrations, he just runs down and gets ready to make the next play happen.

    Dude is money.
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 9334
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: Blue Springs, Missouri


  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:He's got the eyes of a serial killer.


    That's one of the things I've noticed about him, too, and I think it's outstanding. He just seems to be able to dispassionately run the plays, and then put them behind him, whether they were good or bad. Then he goes about the next one, seeming to not get frazzled or upset (but not in a Charlie Whitehurst "Wooderson" kind of way).


    Agreed. I was really impressed watching him in the SF game with all the dropped passes - his demenaor never changed. No shoulder sagging, no head shaking, just clapping his hands and looking to Bevell for the next play call.

    Just as impressively, when he hits a big play it's just business as usual. No silly celebrations, he just runs down and gets ready to make the next play happen.

    Dude is money.


    Great thread, and amen!

    One of his best qualities is that he LEARNS, and does not repeat mistakes. That's what I like seeing each week. This sets him up for great future success (and certainly measurable success right now).
    Lieutenant Dan
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 396
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:52 am
    Location: Memphis (Displaced Seattleite)


  • Russell has so much maturity as a rookie, it's amazing. So do the other rookies you have on this list, but Russell fits right up there with RGIII and Luck.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2669
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am
  • Wilson is very business like. It's impressive. Reminds me of Peyton Manning
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7489
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • Let's hope the Jets blitz often. I guess.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5369
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • Well, sure, Russell has been great and getting better, but........

    his receivers have been getting better at making the correct reads and doing the right moves, too.

    The whole offense has improved. It is a team sport. ;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15742
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • sutz wrote:Well, sure, Russell has been great and getting better, but........

    his receivers have been getting better at making the correct reads and doing the right moves, too.

    The whole offense has improved. It is a team sport. ;)



    O-line has made massive strides as well.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5369
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


  • Lieutenant Dan wrote: One of his best qualities is that he LEARNS, and does not repeat mistakes. That's what I like seeing each week. This sets him up for great future success (and certainly measurable success right now).

    This, and he takes takes personal responsibility for scouting his next opponent and figuring out what he believes will work against their defense. His degree of "ownership" of the results of the Hawks offense is impressive.

    He doesn't wait for the coaches to tell him what they think will work. He's way ahead of the curve.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4071
    Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am


  • XxxZagnutxxX wrote:We should nickname him "Ice"



    Matty "ice" - starting QB of the Atlanta Falcons .

    Russel Wilsons nickname - Russel Wilson
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1022
    Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm


  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:
    XxxZagnutxxX wrote:We should nickname him "Ice"



    Matty "ice" - starting QB of the Atlanta Falcons .

    Russel Wilsons nickname - Russel Wilson


    Why not just call him Russell? :lol:

    The two biggest things I wanted to see out of Russ coming into the last few weeks was to start using the short middle for slants and dumpoffs and make people pay for blitzing a bit more. He's definitely showing a lot of both.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3041
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm


  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:
    XxxZagnutxxX wrote:We should nickname him "Ice"



    Matty "ice" - starting QB of the Atlanta Falcons .

    Russel Wilsons nickname - Russel Wilson


    Hello? Chocolate Flutie!
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5369
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 pm
  • If Matt Ryan is Matty Ice, would Matt Hasselbeck be Matty Yikes?
    Smoke
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 637
    Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:34 am
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 pm
  • I hate nick names.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 9919
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:33 pm
  • RW3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3678
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:04 pm
  • dunceface wrote:RW3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Gah that's as bad as the ice one. RGIII sounds good. RWIII does not. Russell is better than RGIII. Thus let's not copy it.

    Russell Sprouts and lil' Russ are the only nicknames that should be used as those are the only nicknames officially sanctioned by me. Everyone please follow that rule starting now. Lil' Russ is used in a loving manner like when talking to puppy or kitten or while belittling a child for fun and probably squeezing their cheeks like that aunt you probably had. This is not to be said like when referring to some rapper.

    Also I just learned Russell's middle name is Carrington. You may refer to him as Russell Cares-a-ton Wilson. Because that's not stupid or anything.

    If we've learned anything it's that nicknames are stupid unless they aren't. Like Beastmode. Or Big Red.
    JKent82
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3041
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:15 pm
  • JKent82 wrote:
    dunceface wrote:RW3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Gah that's as bad as the ice one. RGIII sounds good. RWIII does not. Russell is better than RGIII. Thus let's not copy it.

    Russell Sprouts and lil' Russ are the only nicknames that should be used as those are the only nicknames officially sanctioned by me. Everyone please follow that rule starting now. Lil' Russ is used in a loving manner like when talking to puppy or kitten or while belittling a child for fun and probably squeezing their cheeks like that aunt you probably had. This is not to be said like when referring to some rapper.

    Also I just learned Russell's middle name is Carrington. You may refer to him as Russell Cares-a-ton Wilson. Because that's not stupid or anything.

    If we've learned anything it's that nicknames are stupid unless they aren't. Like Beastmode. Or Big Red.

    Cold Steel.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
     
    Posts: 7820
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
    Location: Eastern Washington


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 pm
  • XxxZagnutxxX wrote:We should nickname him "Ice"


    People would say he's a wannabe Matt Ryan, a.k.a. "Matty Ice".....even though Wilson has already shown himself to be cooler under pressure than almost any QB in the league, lol.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30128
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Real Progress for Wilson vs the blitz
Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:22 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    XxxZagnutxxX wrote:We should nickname him "Ice"


    People would say he's a wannabe Matt Ryan, a.k.a. "Matty Ice".....even though Wilson has already shown himself to be cooler under pressure than almost any QB in the league, lol.


    Just call him Dry... Dry Ice...
    JKent82
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3041
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm


  • Jazzhawk wrote:I hate nick names.

    So does Nick Foles.

    ;)
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 15742
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • No Chocolate Flutie mentions yet? for shame.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5369
    Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Washington




It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online