Football Outsiders upgrades Hawks: #3 pass D, #6 run D

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":1owf0mr4 said:
I agree with what you're saying. The opponents defintely factor in to the results. That is true. That said, what you're saying is our defense isn't good enough to stop good offenses. That we should only be expected to stonewall bad to mediocre offenses. If thats the case, I dont see how we can be all too excited over our team and our prospects.

We DID stop good offenses this year. It's far easier to explain the recent issues as temporary and very fixable wobbles than as the truth about a defense that clamped down on Tom Brady.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
We played 4 of the top 5 offenses and only Detroit did anything against us. And they still only won at the very end. We held the 11th best offense to 7 points. Think about it, we rank so high AFTER playing the best the NFL has to throw at us.

We only face one offense in the top 16 the rest of the way. Our defense should be fine.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
We played great for one month, then crapply for one month. Which should be more applicable right now? Im sorry, but for me, its the most recent one. Just as I would be saying if we played one month of crap defense followed by a month of great d. Which is the case for our offense. I dont know why one would try to fight against trends and say that we should assume current trends mean nothing and that we should go with what was happening a month ago. only reason is foolish homerism. If you disagree, then you should not be buying into the Hawks offense improving. Because who cares about the last month. the previous one is what matters most. Right?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I hope coaches concentrate on the run defense here on out considering every team left on the schedule aside from Arizona are far better rushing the ball than passing it.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I have a hard time believing any defensive stat that has the 49ers below us. Doesn't fit the eye test.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
hedgehawk":18ueu3xj said:
I have a hard time believing any defensive stat that has the 49ers below us. Doesn't fit the eye test.

That 49er Defense has been manhandled at home, and got manhandled by the offense we just beat.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":3izam2g1 said:
hedgehawk":3izam2g1 said:

That 49er Defense has been manhandled at home, and got manhandled by the offense we just beat.

They didn't get beat by the run, by Ponder beat their asses. That should tell you everything you need to know about their defense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":1w193dgv said:
We played great for one month, then crapply for one month. Which should be more applicable right now? Im sorry, but for me, its the most recent one. Just as I would be saying if we played one month of crap defense followed by a month of great d. Which is the case for our offense. I dont know why one would try to fight against trends and say that we should assume current trends mean nothing and that we should go with what was happening a month ago. only reason is foolish homerism. If you disagree, then you should not be buying into the Hawks offense improving. Because who cares about the last month. the previous one is what matters most. Right?

Results based analysis is giving you diarrhea of the keyboard. Look at the individual and collective matchups to forecast, not what happened last game. Trends don't mean a damn thing, it is all about the matchups.

For instance, did we actually play bad D against the Patriots, as you say? I recall a D that stopped the run fairly well, dished out enough hits to give Patriot receivers short arms as the game wore on, and stiffened in the redzone and at the end of the game on Brady's last two drives. Go to the box score and look at Brady's yards and you will hiccup, but then figure out his YPA and understand that we got them out of their game. It was actually a good defensive performance. Because we won enough matchups.

Then the Niners. Gore had two really good runs and a handful of decent runs. Give him and them credit. How many points did they get in that game? 14? And Alex Smith looked terrible? So why did they run so well? Look at that offensive line, which is the best run blocking group in football. The simple fact is that you can cry about bad run D all you want, 14 points says that our offense lost that game, not the run D. Our receivers faced a D as violent as ours, and they got short arms. Don't pin that loss on the D. But we did lose too many individual matchups, thus Gore's run totals.

The Lions game certainly didn't feature much good running by the Lions, but that is one loss you can pin on the D. That was a legit 28 they hung on us. Still, we were one defensive play away from stealing a win. But in choosing to shut down Megatron, we put our secondary and linebackers into some unfavorable individual matchups and gambled wrong on Stafford's supposed impatience and desire to throw into the short middle.

And then the Vikings. Yeah, watching us get gashed by purple Jesus was tough, but we lost a starting LB early in that game. I don't think Jason Jones being gone had that big an effect beyond keeping some of of our other DT's on the field a bit too much, but look at the matchups. Loadholt can't pass block for shit, but he can single block Red Bryant. He's good. Mebane's penetration actually worked against the Hawks, it created cut back lanes that only scatbacks should be physically capable of exloiting, but hey, purple Jesus. Kalil was in the 2nd level constantly too, and actually had one of the best performances of the week according to Football Outsiders. We lost straight up matchups. Get your brain off the yards, look at the matchups. We didn't play terrible defense, they played great run offense. How many teams are built to do that? Not very many. There is no trend, though.

Now look at the Jets. Can Shonne Greene exploit a cut back lane? Not really. Do their tackles road grade like the Vikings? Nope. Does their center guard combination do a good job of creating run space in the middle? Kind of, yeah, but not like the Vikings or Niners. Our Run D should win the matchups this week. Does that mean some trick play with Tebow won't gash our run D? Does that mean that if Wright can't go we might surrender a couple of run plays that look bad? It just might, but over all we should stop the run against THIS team. And once the Jets go one dimensional, they are toast. Because there are no matchups that favor them in our secondary.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
Scottemojo":bz06e5cs said:
Hawkadeus":bz06e5cs said:

Results based analysis is giving you diarrhea of the keyboard. Look at the individual and collective matchups to forecast, not what happened last game. Trends don't mean a damn thing, it is all about the matchups.

For instance, did we actually play bad D against the Patriots, as you say? I recall a D that stopped the run fairly well, dished out enough hits to give Patriot receivers short arms as the game wore on, and stiffened in the redzone and at the end of the game on Brady's last two drives. Go to the box score and look at Brady's yards and you will hiccup, but then figure out his YPA and understand that we got them out of their game. It was actually a good defensive performance. Because we won enough matchups.

Then the Niners. Gore had two really good runs and a handful of decent runs. Give him and them credit. How many points did they get in that game? 14? And Alex Smith looked terrible? So why did they run so well? Look at that offensive line, which is the best run blocking group in football. The simple fact is that you can cry about bad run D all you want, 14 points says that our offense lost that game, not the run D. Our receivers faced a D as violent as ours, and they got short arms. Don't pin that loss on the D. But we did lose too many individual matchups, thus Gore's run totals.

The Lions game certainly didn't feature much good running by the Lions, but that is one loss you can pin on the D. That was a legit 28 they hung on us. Still, we were one defensive play away from stealing a win. But in choosing to shut down Megatron, we put our secondary and linebackers into some unfavorable individual matchups and gambled wrong on Stafford's supposed impatience and desire to throw into the short middle.

And then the Vikings. Yeah, watching us get gashed by purple Jesus was tough, but we lost a starting LB early in that game. I don't think Jason Jones being gone had that big an effect beyond keeping some of of our other DT's on the field a bit too much, but look at the matchups. Loadholt can't pass block for shit, but he can single block Red Bryant. He's good. Mebane's penetration actually worked against the Hawks, it created cut back lanes that only scatbacks should be physically capable of exloiting, but hey, purple Jesus. Kalil was in the 2nd level constantly too, and actually had one of the best performances of the week according to Football Outsiders. We lost straight up matchups. Get your brain off the yards, look at the matchups. We didn't play terrible defense, they played great run offense. How many teams are built to do that? Not very many. There is no trend, though.

Now look at the Jets. Can Shonne Greene exploit a cut back lane? Not really. Do their tackles road grade like the Vikings? Nope. Does their center guard combination do a good job of creating run space in the middle? Kind of, yeah, but not like the Vikings or Niners. Our Run D should win the matchups this week. Does that mean some trick play with Tebow won't gash our run D? Does that mean that if Wright can't go we might surrender a couple of run plays that look bad? It just might, but over all we should stop the run against THIS team. And once the Jets go one dimensional, they are toast. Because there are no matchups that favor them in our secondary.

gotta agree.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
80849er4life":3hthr9td said:
Thats impressive considering you guys let AP run wild on you guys last week.... :smiley_boxin:

I wouldn't be talking with the way your team made Ponder look like a pro bowler. AP's the top back in the league. What's your excuse?

Jville

Reaction score
80849er4life":2yeai9y8 said:
Thats impressive considering you guys let AP run wild on you guys last week.... :smiley_boxin:
:34853_doh: Yet another empty head 49er Troll with nothing to contribute.

80849er4life

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1prfgy5f said:
80849er4life":1prfgy5f said:

I wouldn't be talking with the way your team made Ponder look like a pro bowler. AP's the top back in the league. What's your excuse?

Hahaha brah I wasnt even talking down on your team that stat just goes to show what you guys did against other RBs you guys faced......well escept Frank Gore of course cause he did your guys a$$ too.......

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
80849er4life":skbvrcfi said:
-The Glove-":skbvrcfi said:
80849er4life":skbvrcfi said:

Hahaha brah I wasnt even talking down on your team that stat just goes to show what you guys did against other RBs you guys faced......well escept Frank Gore of course cause he did your guys a$$ too.......

More like your offensive line did our guys a$$ and Frank just ran right through the gaping holes like you or I could do. That hasn't happened once this year before or since, so I'm finding it hard to believe that it's a serious problem.

80849er4life

Reaction score
Jville":12nsqa2p said:
80849er4life":12nsqa2p said:

Hahahaha empty head.....thats a good one....plus I contribute to society.....with my high paying job and Im guessing with Obahma re-elected and where I am in our nations Tax bracket....I contribute more than you....maybe not in "seachicken" football talk but in more important things.....and I wasnt even bashing your team.....but since you wanna go all defensive and start name calling.....U GUYS SUCK AND ARE GONNA FINSH 6-10 this year HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jville

Reaction score
80849er4life":2akkwdkp said:
Jville":2akkwdkp said:
80849er4life":2akkwdkp said:

Hahahaha empty head.....thats a good one....plus I contribute to society.....with my high paying job and Im guessing with Obahma re-elected and where I am in our nations Tax bracket....I contribute more than you....maybe not in "seachicken" football talk but in more important things.....and I wasnt even bashing your team.....but since you wanna go all defensive and start name calling.....U GUYS SUCK AND ARE GONNA FINSH 6-10 this year HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you mad man?

Or did your mother ground you and send you to your room?

Jville

Reaction score
80849er4life":15alm9np said:
RolandDeschain":15alm9np said:
SalishHawkFan":15alm9np said:
1st round: Seattle at SF, GB at NYG

I would kill to go to SF on wild card weekend, and win. I want to shut the Whiners up so badly.

You guys REALLY dont like us huh??

Us? :shock: How many personalities are there in you?

Your not hearing voices are you?

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
80849er4life":33vfynn4 said:
Jville":33vfynn4 said:
80849er4life":33vfynn4 said:

Well enjoy your extra time with society...I have a feeling you won't be around here long.