Props to Bobby Wagner

Seafan

Reaction score
I'm excited about Wagner but I KNOW he has made huge mistakes which have given up several big plays. That's to be expected. Same thing happened to the guy before him. Didn't happen to Tat too much but MLB is a real mentally dependent position and like Wilson I expect us to see rookie Wagner improve week to week. Those mistakes are teaching points for him and the coaching staff. I'm impressed with his coverage skills and his pass rushing skills which I really did not expect to see from him. Those are a plus IMO. He should improve in his gap control and certainly the return to health of a couple of the bigs in front of him should help as well. Hopefully KJ Wright isn't out too long.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Jville":7c7tsf88 said:
dunceface":7c7tsf88 said:
Seahwkgal":7c7tsf88 said:
Well, tackles are huge for fantasy football but not all tackles are the same for the team. I think the loss of Wright had more to do with our lack of run D plus we are talking about AP here. lol. Did Leroy contribute anything? I couldn't watch the game, it wasn't televised out here. I think we add another LB in the draft, we need a good one bad.

Leroy had a good game! 7-8 tackles and a sack...

Good to see some recognition for Leroy Hill. He was credited with 2 solo tackles, 2 assists and half a sack. It really helps to have a mature experienced veteran on such a young defense. Retaining Leroy Hill on the roster was a smart decision.

P.S. Seeing the veteran Hill, hands on hips, watching the rookie Greg Scruggs do his rediculous celebration dance was priceless. :lol:

I never thought I'd read a post using the words "Leroy Hill" and "Mature" together. :stirthepot:

Tical21

Reaction score
Just watched every play while focusing only on Wagner. Doesn't get a lot of double negatives because he doesn't necessarily blow his assignments, but doesn't get double plus very often either. On most of the running plays, he is a quarter second slow to diagnose. He needs to get downhill more quickly. The previous poster was correct, he got caught on the wrong side of the tackle quite often. The biggest reason for this is because he is reacting rather than attacking. He needs to be inside the hole already at the line of scrimmage, not two yards behind it, getting stuck in the wash. I'm not going to freak out about it, because if you're ever played any linebacker, you know it is ridiculously difficult to do. There aren't that many MLB's in the NFL that can do it, and only once every few years does a rookie do it right away. Part of it is diagnosing more quickly, and part of it is downright guessing correctly.

He made a FANTASTIC play on a Harvin sweep. Diagnosed it instantly, got downhill instantly, and blew it up two yards into the backfield. But on the running plays up the middle, he tends to hop and stop and read rather than attacking at the snap.

A few times he got full extension and got off of blocks quickly, but too many times, he played too high and allowed the blocker to get into his body.

The speed is there. He can go get it. No question. I still just don't know if he is built the right way to stuff the run right at him. The really great news with that is that there are far more teams that are better stopped with speed at LB than those that are stopped easiest by power. SF is really the only playoff team that could really expose Wagner, and maybe Chicago. Hopefully he gets more sand in his pants this offseason and can change his pad level a bit. I have no doubt he'll start to diagnose more quickly.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
You know whats the best part of having Bobby Wagner on this team? Is that he will only get better. This young man has a bright future ahead of him.

grizbob

Reaction score
MANUNITED23":6lzrzimp said:
You know whats the best part of having Bobby Wagner on this team? Is that he will only get better. This young man has a bright future ahead of him.

:13: :thirishdrinkers: :th2thumbs: :3: