Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Hit or Under Duress. RW 4th Most in The NFL
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 am 
NET Starter

SC just showed that RW is the 4th most pressure QB in the NFL. I knew it was high but not that bad. Flynn would be getting killed back there. lol.

Post subject: Re: Hit or Under Duress. RW 4th Most in The NFL
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 am 
NET Veteran

What does this really say about the strength of our OLine ?

Maybe a few more pieces are needed before the O will be able to truly take the next big step forward?

Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. Until the OLine is strengthened the team will remain weak.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

jammerhawk wrote:
What does this really say about the strength of our OLine ?

Maybe a few more pieces are needed before the O will be able to truly take the next big step forward?

And what does that say about the strength of Wilson? He is unflappable.

I think a huge factor in him winning the job was just that -- Flynn would be on IR by now. We need a mobile/elusive QB.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them look for a linemen in the upper part of the draft in April. They are good run blockers but just average in pass blocking.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:15 am 
NET Rookie

Yep... as I recently said elsewhere, RW's performance will start to be impossible for anyone (sports media) to ignore once the Seahawks finally possess a bonafide offensive line so good RW will no longer be forced to constantly swat aside pesky little defensive linemen. Sure, RW is damn good now, but the so-so protection provided by the OL does have an impact on his game -- his passes are a little harder to catch when he throws under duress, thus the drops we've been seeing. I'm not screaming for a killer top-rated OL. I'm saying if Seahawks want to see just how far RW can take them, it starts with the OL.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:29 am 
NET Veteran

and according to this 18 qbs have been sacked more than him. RW has only been sacked one more time than Brady

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... sort/sacks

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:01 am 
NET Rookie

droop828 wrote:
SC just showed that RW is the 4th most pressure QB in the NFL. I knew it was high but not that bad. Flynn would be getting killed back there. lol.

Wow. That is impressive. Especially when considering that Wilson is currently the 22nd LEAST SACKED qb in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... ING_SACKED

Wilson has been sacked 15 times. Here's the most sacked qb's in the game right now:

Aaron Rodgers - 29
Jay Cutler - 28
Kevin Kolb - 27
Michael Vick - 27
Sam Bradford - 23
Christian Ponder - 23
Alex Smith - 22
Andy Dalton - 22
Robert Griffin III - 20
Philip Rivers - 20
Andrew Luck - 19

It would be interesting to compare how much these guys are rushed to Wilson.

It needs to be acknowledged that this is a big skill RW brings to the table as your qb. He is making this offensive line look better than it is.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 am 
NET Veteran

Hawkadeus wrote:
droop828 wrote:

Wow. That is impressive. Especially when considering that Wilson is currently the 22nd LEAST SACKED qb in the league.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... ING_SACKED

Wilson has been sacked 15 times. Here's the most sacked qb's in the game right now:

Aaron Rodgers - 29
Jay Cutler - 28
Kevin Kolb - 27
Michael Vick - 27
Sam Bradford - 23
Christian Ponder - 23
Alex Smith - 22
Andy Dalton - 22
Robert Griffin III - 20
Philip Rivers - 20
Andrew Luck - 19

It would be interesting to compare how much these guys are rushed to Wilson.

It needs to be acknowledged that this is a big skill RW brings to the table as your qb. He is making this offensive line look better than it is.

What RG3 has been sacked 20 times-- IMPOSSIBLE. :sarcasm_off: Afterall he's the most athletic QB in the league how is that possible that slow (comparatively speaking to RG3) RW is sacked less. amazing.

I'm actually really amazed that we've only allowed 15 sacks this year. The pass protection has been much better the last few weeks. I think the OL is progressing nicely.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 am 
NET Veteran

Yeah, I feel like a lot of the pressure/sacks happened the first few weeks of the season. He's gotten decent/good protection for a number of weeks.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 am 
NET Veteran

He was running for his life literally every drop back against Arizona. That game alone skewed those statistics

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:50 am 
NET Veteran

i would have like to have seen dirty sanchez on that list.. maybe we can put him there this weekend...

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 pm 
NET Rookie

He also holds the ball longer than any QB in the league. You can't really lay this one just on the line.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

aku wrote:
He also holds the ball longer than any QB in the league. You can't really lay this one just on the line.

This list is pretty awesome.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
NET Veteran

Would really like to see that right side get cemented. I say in a year or two, we MIGHT be watching one of the better O-lines in Seattle. Just my opinion! The talent is there, now if they can only get a little luck on their side to swat that injury bug down.

Go Hawks.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:48 pm 
NET Rookie

aku wrote:

And the fact that his pocket presence was terrible for the first few weeks and he would run into pressure instead of avoiding it. Has gotten much better thankfully.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 pm 
NET Veteran

It's been years since I've been comfortable with the O-line. How many different combinations did we use last year? Towards the end, it appeared they had come together but I felt that way largely because we were told they had come together.

Now we see RW running for his life and it pains me to see the YAC for Lynch. That YAC sounds real good, and suugests the animal he is, but c'mon...the dude is getting hammered and usually, the first hit is at the line of scrimmage. It kills me that we are not tapping ML's full potential and now the same thing can be said for our rook. This is the primary reason I feel moving Flynn out of town is a terrible idea.

Wr and Oline needs to be our focus in the top half of this draft, IMO. People will say...jeeez, how many top picks are we going to use on Oline? It don't matter. We need to do whatever we have to do to get it right.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 pm 
NET Starter

Wow Shocker

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:14 pm 
NET Veteran

Im not sure why many of you are complaining about our o-line , I think they play very exceptional and when the back ups come in we never miss a beat.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 pm 
NET Veteran

EastCoastHawksFan wrote:
Im not sure why many of you are complaining about our o-line , I think they play very exceptional and when the back ups come in we never miss a beat.

...."and when the back ups come in we never miss a beat".

Good stuff! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:29 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

HawkWow wrote:
EastCoastHawksFan wrote:

...."and when the back ups come in we never miss a beat".

Good stuff! ;)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:42 pm 
NET Veteran

I always love this mentality of Flynn would be on IR by now.
Wilson is doing a great job but he is still a rookie and for most of the first half of the season he couldn't read or beat a blitz and the result of that was way more blitzing and sending additional pressure.

He also has struggled to stay in the pocket and has in fact hurt the learning curve of the O-line. Even with a rookie and all his standard rookie mistakes and defenses teeing off against us, the O-line has in fact done decent.

Flynn is a pocket passer who knows how to read defense and excels at getting the ball out quickly and hitting receivers in stride. What you might see if he were playing is defenses backing off and the O-line gelling much faster and looking much better. It is also likely out YAC would be much better.

This isn't a knock on Wilson, he is doing way better than I expected him to this early. He is learning to trust the pocket and based on last game, he is learning to get the ball out much quicker so he doesn't have to scramble.

Scrambling is a last resort not a staple of an offense unless you want your QB beat to death like Vick. First a QB needs to be able to manage the game from the pocket to be successful. Having the ability to scramble is helpful but it also has draw backs if it is relied on to much.

Wilson is doing great but come on now. He is still a rookie and as such it will at times make our receivers look like they suck and out O-line look like it can't block and our O-coordinator look like he can't call a game but if you step back and apply a little common sense, it is much more likely that the rookie has a lot more to do with how things look than the WR's, O-line and OC.

Have you ever wondered why Peyton Manning is not on IR by the second game of every season?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:44 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

RichNhansom wrote:
Have you ever wondered why Peyton Manning is not on IR by the second game of every season?

Because he's really good at playing quarterback?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
NET Veteran

Ah. So Wilson's the one that calls draw plays in the red zone when Beast Mode has been gashing the D.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:12 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

If I'm reading those PFF stats right it's basically saying that RW is the man at buying time and not taking sacks...amiright?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:29 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Aku beat me to it, I was going to point out that Wilson's style is to hold the ball a long time looking for receivers, especially when extending plays with his feet. Unsurprisingly, the list of QBs who hold the ball the longest are all mobile QBs.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:00 pm 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Although our OL has looked better the past few games, I am surprised that anyone thinks that they are doing great - especially at run blocking.

In my opinion our line is below average at run blocking - Lynch just makes them look good because he refuses to go down after a single hit. The number of times he gets hit in the backfield, yet makes significant positive yards, is unreal. Any other back and we would be moaning about our OL's run blocking.

In my opinion our line is also average at pass blocking - RW just makes them appear better than they are. And the stats posted here prove that point to me.

I'm certainly not saying that it is all bad. We are incrementally better when Okung isn't hurt, Carpenter is in at left guard, and Moffit is in at right guard. However, our line can't hold a candle to SF's line, and if we want to hold our own with the Niners in the future we better upgrade that right side of our line (Moffit may work, but the jury is still out on him IMHO). McQuistain and Breno should definitely remain back-ups.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]