Jeremy Lane on Special Teams

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Jeremy Lane on Special Teams
Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:24 pm
  • Lane has really stood out to me the past month or so on special teams. Especially on punts. He seems to always be the first guy to the ball, often making a play on it near the endzone. Seeing him blossom on st's is very helpful given the loss of Ben Obomanu. And likely a reason for the team being able to cut Charly Martin. Nice job, Lane!
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

Re: Jeremy Lane on Special Teams
Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 pm
  • Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:29 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.

Trufant played well versus Minny. He has had off games, and is definitely the weak link in the secondary, but how many teams have a shut down nickel DB? Until WT3 proves he can stay healthy, I think Trufant has that spot locked down for the rest of the season.
    cboom wrote:Wilson is the worst QB I have seen as a Hawks fan. And I have been around long enough to see them all.
    HawksFTW
    * NET E-Knight *

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.

Lane is a rookie late round draft pick out of a very small school. He isn't anywhere near being ready to take over that much responsibility. Let's not fall for Charlie Whitehurst "let's try anybody simply because maybe he's better than the guy we think is a bum" disease. Trufant isn't great anymore. It's why he's a #3 now. But the hate he gets around here is silly.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 pm
  • He's looked great on punt coverage as of late.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:39 pm
  • Hawkadeus wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.

Lane is a rookie late round draft pick out of a very small school. He isn't anywhere near being ready to take over that much responsibility. Let's not fall for Charlie Whitehurst "let's try anybody simply because maybe he's better than the guy we think is a bum" disease. Trufant isn't great anymore. It's why he's a #3 now. But the hate he gets around here is silly.

It's the same attitude that wanted Brian Banks starting at LB or thinking Portis was better than TJack.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:42 pm
  • Jeremy Lane is so fast. He has had an impact on special teams. Allowed them to place Obomanu on IR and has brought flexibility to special teams.

Huge potential upside but arrived very raw and needs time to develop. As a primary backup for Brandon Browner, its amussing to see the contrasting size of Browner and Lane interacting on the side line.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:47 pm
  • Wait...charly Martin was cut?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm

How many catches and TD's did Harvin have against Trufant last week?
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:
    T-Sizzle wrote:Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.

How many catches and TD's did Harvin have against Trufant last week?

I see what you did there.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 pm
  • Asked a question? Yes I did. Please respond. You like to challenge me it seems. I'm challenging you. Post some facts so we can determine how "horrible" Trufant is. If you're going to make that kind of statement, I think being challenged to provide statistical proof isn't out of line.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm
  • Relax, it was a joke that clearly doesn't translate over text, acknowledging the tongue-in-cheek nature of your question.

I agree with you. No challenge here.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:Asked a question? Yes I did. Please respond. You like to challenge me it seems. I'm challenging you. Post some facts so we can determine how "horrible" Trufant is. If you're going to make that kind of statement, I think being challenged to provide statistical proof isn't out of line.

Not every retort is a challenge. . . who thinks like that? Is this the wild west or seahawks forum? lulz.

Either way, you are right (simmer down ego). Trufant played well last game. According to PFF: "He gave up a penalty, but after that Marcus Trufant allowed only three of four passes into his coverage, for 9 yards."

Completion rate was crap, and its hard to say if those were 1st down receptions (i dont remember) but 9 yards is pretty meager.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:Asked a question? Yes I did. Please respond. You like to challenge me it seems. I'm challenging you. Post some facts so we can determine how "horrible" Trufant is. If you're going to make that kind of statement, I think being challenged to provide statistical proof isn't out of line.

Not every retort is a challenge. . . who thinks like that? Is this the wild west or seahawks forum? lulz.

Either way, you are right (simmer down ego). Trufant played well last game. According to PFF: "He gave up a penalty, but after that Marcus Trufant allowed only three of four passes into his coverage, for 9 yards."

Completion rate was crap, and its hard to say if those were 1st down receptions (i dont remember) but 9 yards is pretty meager.

Meh.... I've just been getting it from him for a week. So I decided to strike back since he set the pins up so nicely.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:23 pm
  • I think of trufant as a let them catch the ball and be there to tackle them kinda corner....
    I think sherman and browner are more of NOpe you aint catching that and if you do feel this kinda corners.
    Im not sure which style is better for a nickel corner........
    BUT thurmond did beat out sherman AND trufant.. for the starting job last year, lest you forget ;)
    --/*Seattle Seahawks*\--
    hawks4thewin
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:27 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:
    SharkHawk wrote:Asked a question? Yes I did. Please respond. You like to challenge me it seems. I'm challenging you. Post some facts so we can determine how "horrible" Trufant is. If you're going to make that kind of statement, I think being challenged to provide statistical proof isn't out of line.

Meh.... I've just been getting it from him for a week. So I decided to strike back since he set the pins up so nicely.

Have you? I didn't think we've been disagreeing much recently. And I wasn't disagreeing with you here. Didn't mean any upset.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:32 pm
  • Plus, Trufant DID strip the ball from Harvin and recover it, in what was probably a very crucial takeaway early in the game.

Tru is in the twilight of his career for sure. But he's fine as a nickel corner. That said, getting Lane a few reps couldn't' hurt.
    BWRyan
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:53 pm
  • I like what Tru does for us he is good at his job. Besides WT3 is back Lane wont see the field anytime soon.
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:17 am
  • hawks4thewin wrote:....
    BUT thurmond did beat out sherman AND trufant.. for the starting job last year, lest you forget ;)

No, he didn't. He beat out Sherman for the primary backup. Browner and Trufant were the week 1 starting CBs, Trufant got hurt, Thurmond went in. Thurmond got hurt and we go to bask in the glory that is Richard Sherman.
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 am
  • Trufant is covering the flanker most of the time when he does come in. This is new for him I suspect and is a lot of zone. He was always better at Man Coverage.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:33 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:

3 out of 4 sounds bad, but when they're for an average of 3 yards each, you'll be hard pressed to find many corners who will break them up - get too close to the WR and he'll burn you if he makes the catch, so you let them catch for 2-3 yards and prevent them going any further. That's perfect play in the slot.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am
  • I have a solution to all this angst about our slot corner. We should find some NFL coaches and personnel guys who have managed to put together a really good secondary and then see if they will consult on our defensive backfield. Or have we already done that?

Our experts have decided that Tru has enough left in the tank to play a key role in one of the best secondaries in the NFL. At some point that will no longer be the case, but do you really think this coaching staff is going to be playing "terrible" corners anytime soon? Like maybe they just forgot about the slot corner because they were too busy planning their Halloween costumes?
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:52 pm
  • I'm so stupid.... apologies to jkitsune, I quoted the wrong post! I was trying to talk to somebody else that has been giving me the business for a while and was horsing around and just accidentally quoted the wrong post. My fault entirely. Jkitsune is a great asset to this board and has never been anything but super nice to me. My apologies for responding to the wrong post and coming off as a total buffoon. I know it's about par for the course for me, but I still wanted to apologize.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:02 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:I'm so stupid.... apologies to jkitsune, I quoted the wrong post! I was trying to talk to somebody else that has been giving me the business for a while and was horsing around and just accidentally quoted the wrong post. My fault entirely. Jkitsune is a great asset to this board and has never been anything but super nice to me. My apologies for responding to the wrong post and coming off as a total buffoon. I know it's about par for the course for me, but I still wanted to apologize.

I was smart enough to figure out you were talking about T-Sizzle. Do I get anything?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 pm
  • Another glove? ;)
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:56 pm
  • Farnsworth with an article on Lane's special team's prowess.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/a ... d77e2726db

At the snap of the ball, the player lined up across from Jeremy Lane goes for the jam, but ends up with a whiff. Quicker than you can say, “Punt downed at the 6-yard line,” that’s exactly what Lane has done.

This blink-and-you-missed-it sequence happened on Jon Ryan’s only punt in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 30-20 victory over the Minnesota Vikings at CenturyLink Field. But as much of a flash as Lane was in racing down field to pin the Vikings near their own goal line, it was not a flash-in-the-pan effort.

The week before in Detroit, Lane made like Willie Mays with an over-the-shoulder basket catch of a 42-yarder by Ryan at the Lions’ 4-yard line.

As easy as the Seahawks’ rookie cornerback is making this look, downing punts inside the 10-yard line is anything but easy.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:02 pm
  • Jeremy has been a very pleasant surprise. I like what I see.
    MANUNITED23
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:35 pm
  • SharkHawk wrote:Another glove? ;)

Nice! Guess I'll have to change my handle to -The Gloves-
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:49 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information