Jeremy Lane on Special Teams

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Lane has really stood out to me the past month or so on special teams. Especially on punts. He seems to always be the first guy to the ball, often making a play on it near the endzone. Seeing him blossom on st's is very helpful given the loss of Ben Obomanu. And likely a reason for the team being able to cut Charly Martin. Nice job, Lane!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1xarqr26 said:
Im really curious to see how well he would play the nickel corner....not sure why he isnt given the chance there... Trufant is horrible.

Trufant played well versus Minny. He has had off games, and is definitely the weak link in the secondary, but how many teams have a shut down nickel DB? Until WT3 proves he can stay healthy, I think Trufant has that spot locked down for the rest of the season.

OP
OP
H

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2td20u48 said:

Lane is a rookie late round draft pick out of a very small school. He isn't anywhere near being ready to take over that much responsibility. Let's not fall for Charlie Whitehurst "let's try anybody simply because maybe he's better than the guy we think is a bum" disease. Trufant isn't great anymore. It's why he's a #3 now. But the hate he gets around here is silly.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":2dwl6e53 said:
T-Sizzle":2dwl6e53 said:

Lane is a rookie late round draft pick out of a very small school. He isn't anywhere near being ready to take over that much responsibility. Let's not fall for Charlie Whitehurst "let's try anybody simply because maybe he's better than the guy we think is a bum" disease. Trufant isn't great anymore. It's why he's a #3 now. But the hate he gets around here is silly.

It's the same attitude that wanted Brian Banks starting at LB or thinking Portis was better than TJack.

Jville

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane is so fast. He has had an impact on special teams. Allowed them to place Obomanu on IR and has brought flexibility to special teams.

Huge potential upside but arrived very raw and needs time to develop. As a primary backup for Brandon Browner, its amussing to see the contrasting size of Browner and Lane interacting on the side line.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":gnns3m45 said:

How many catches and TD's did Harvin have against Trufant last week?

jkitsune

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1bihcmws said:
T-Sizzle":1bihcmws said:

How many catches and TD's did Harvin have against Trufant last week?

I see what you did there.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Asked a question? Yes I did. Please respond. You like to challenge me it seems. I'm challenging you. Post some facts so we can determine how "horrible" Trufant is. If you're going to make that kind of statement, I think being challenged to provide statistical proof isn't out of line.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Relax, it was a joke that clearly doesn't translate over text, acknowledging the tongue-in-cheek nature of your question.

I agree with you. No challenge here.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2xqd64bi said:
Asked a question? Yes I did. Please respond. You like to challenge me it seems. I'm challenging you. Post some facts so we can determine how "horrible" Trufant is. If you're going to make that kind of statement, I think being challenged to provide statistical proof isn't out of line.

Not every retort is a challenge. . . who thinks like that? Is this the wild west or seahawks forum? lulz.

Either way, you are right (simmer down ego). Trufant played well last game. According to PFF: "He gave up a penalty, but after that Marcus Trufant allowed only three of four passes into his coverage, for 9 yards."

Completion rate was crap, and its hard to say if those were 1st down receptions (i dont remember) but 9 yards is pretty meager.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":231kv41h said:
SharkHawk":231kv41h said:

Not every retort is a challenge. . . who thinks like that? Is this the wild west or seahawks forum? lulz.

Either way, you are right (simmer down ego). Trufant played well last game. According to PFF: "He gave up a penalty, but after that Marcus Trufant allowed only three of four passes into his coverage, for 9 yards."

Completion rate was crap, and its hard to say if those were 1st down receptions (i dont remember) but 9 yards is pretty meager.

Meh.... I've just been getting it from him for a week. So I decided to strike back since he set the pins up so nicely.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I think of trufant as a let them catch the ball and be there to tackle them kinda corner....
I think sherman and browner are more of NOpe you aint catching that and if you do feel this kinda corners.
Im not sure which style is better for a nickel corner........
BUT thurmond did beat out sherman AND trufant.. for the starting job last year, lest you forget ;)

jkitsune

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1thwlmvi said:
Coug_Hawk08":1thwlmvi said:
SharkHawk":1thwlmvi said:

Meh.... I've just been getting it from him for a week. So I decided to strike back since he set the pins up so nicely.

Have you? I didn't think we've been disagreeing much recently. And I wasn't disagreeing with you here. Didn't mean any upset.

BWRyan

Reaction score
Plus, Trufant DID strip the ball from Harvin and recover it, in what was probably a very crucial takeaway early in the game.

Tru is in the twilight of his career for sure. But he's fine as a nickel corner. That said, getting Lane a few reps couldn't' hurt.

suppaball

Reaction score
I like what Tru does for us he is good at his job. Besides WT3 is back Lane wont see the field anytime soon.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":2d0ci17v said:
BUT thurmond did beat out sherman AND trufant.. for the starting job last year, lest you forget ;)

No, he didn't. He beat out Sherman for the primary backup. Browner and Trufant were the week 1 starting CBs, Trufant got hurt, Thurmond went in. Thurmond got hurt and we go to bask in the glory that is Richard Sherman.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Trufant is covering the flanker most of the time when he does come in. This is new for him I suspect and is a lot of zone. He was always better at Man Coverage.