wow.. amazing read on Bevells playcalling

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• I did like the fake pitch to Lynch then the counter back with Robinson. That was my favorite play of the day. Brought me back to my high school days as that was one of our staple plays.

I feel the same way about Bevell as I always have. He's not the worst in the world, but we could do better. No more QB sneaks please.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Good read. Bevell is doing a good job setting up plays throughout the game.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:Good read. Bevell is doing a good job setting up plays throughout the game.

I honestly do believe this is really the first game he's set up plays like this, as I haven't seen a read like this in the previous games, but I see it this game. We had a ton of offense in this one as well.

I really was a big fan of the Tate TD, and it was because we didn't have to do that much in terms of overall execution. Doug Baldwin didn't have to lay a block at all. He just had to try hard while running a go route. The only people the play really depended on in terms of blocks was Sidney Rice and maybe the RT and stuff to prevent backside pursuit. Great play, IMO.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I don't understand the angst here for QB sneaks.

QBs routinely take much more vicious hits dropping back in the pocket. Should we have Bevell make Wilson quit dropping back to pass ?

I can't ever recall seeing a QB get hurt on a sneak. Ever. At any level, to be honest. DLmen just don't get up enough momentum to do any damage. Everyone gets a hat on them and they're all partially blocked at least. Sure, you get a LBer jumping over the pile, but you also get 330 lb fat asses dropping on top of you for sacks too. I really don't see the big deal.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:I don't understand the angst here for QB sneaks.

QBs routinely take much more vicious hits dropping back in the pocket. Should we have Bevell make Wilson quit dropping back to pass ?

I can't ever recall seeing a QB get hurt on a sneak. Ever. At any level, to be honest. DLmen just don't get up enough momentum to do any damage. Everyone gets a hat on them and they're all partially blocked at least. Sure, you get a LBer jumping over the pile, but you also get 330 lb fat asses dropping on top of you for sacks too. I really don't see the big deal.

My angst has nothing to do with injury, it has to do with effectiveness. Who do you trust more to get a yard on a power play, Russell Wilson or Beastmode?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I am a bevell hater... even I thought he called a decent game sunday. no points for the qb sneaks though... that was dumb.
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:I don't understand the angst here for QB sneaks.

My angst has nothing to do with injury, it has to do with effectiveness. Who do you trust more to get a yard on a power play, Russell Wilson or Beastmode?

When there is no surprise as to what the playcall is, Wilson, because we have tried that run to Lynch a few times and he has been shut down. I don't want to go find any stats for it, but find a stat for Lynch's runs on 3rd and short. I doubt they are all that great.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I'd actually go with Wilson on this one. His stature is perfect for it: most QBs are 6'3" or taller. Wilson is short, stocky, and can hide in the line a lot easier.

Plus, being that much smaller, it's easier to find a crease down low. I honestly think Wilson can be really great at sneaks if he gets some more practice at it.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• So which is it.... you people say he's not the only one to blame when we critisize, but then you post how Creative he is and give him all the credit for the good. Can't have it both ways....

For what it's worth though, this last game I thought was the best game all year as far as playcalling so I think he showed us an improvement in creativity. I loved it, so lets hope to see some more!
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

• Hawks46 wrote:I'd actually go with Wilson on this one. His stature is perfect for it: most QBs are 6'3" or taller. Wilson is short, stocky, and can hide in the line a lot easier.

Plus, being that much smaller, it's easier to find a crease down low. I honestly think Wilson can be really great at sneaks if he gets some more practice at it.

He's short for a QB, but he's not a magical leprechaun that can sneak around unseen. He's about the same height as both Lynch and Turbin.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• Could it be that we had to wait until Wilson and other grew enough to install this complexity. I go back to what PC said "I am the one holding back the offense". He wanted to wait until the players were ready. Obviously they now are ready.

The first game after the midway point of the season. I really don't think Bevell just got good at what he does, this is by design.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• minormillikin wrote:
    Hawks46 wrote:I'd actually go with Wilson on this one. His stature is perfect for it: most QBs are 6'3" or taller. Wilson is short, stocky, and can hide in the line a lot easier.

He's short for a QB, but he's not a magical leprechaun that can sneak around unseen. He's about the same height as both Lynch and Turbin.

LMAO! Good stuff.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:For what it's worth though, this last game I thought was the best game all year as far as playcalling so I think he showed us an improvement in creativity. I loved it, so lets hope to see some more!

I completely agree.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:For what it's worth though, this last game I thought was the best game all year as far as playcalling so I think he showed us an improvement in creativity. I loved it, so lets hope to see some more!

I completely agree.[/quote

I'll 3rd this. I haven't been impressed with Bevell this year, but that was his best game as a play caller with Wilson and co. this year. Lets hope it continues.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

• I think Bevell called a very good game. Of course, it always helps when the plays actually work!
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Hawks46 wrote:I don't understand the angst here for QB sneaks.

Hasselbeck broke his hand when Bates called a sneak off left guard on 4th and one. And two of Wilson's sneaks were after he had already taken a huge hit in the backfield. And we have bigger stronger dudes than Wilson. And it took two sneaks to get less than a yard. there are lots of reasons it is a bad call.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• minormillikin wrote:He's short for a QB, but he's not a magical leprechaun that can sneak around unseen. He's about the same height as both Lynch and Turbin.

Lynch and Turbin don't stand still for a majority of their job.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• bellingerga wrote:So which is it.... you people say he's not the only one to blame when we critisize, but then you post how Creative he is and give him all the credit for the good. Can't have it both ways....

For what it's worth though, this last game I thought was the best game all year as far as playcalling so I think he showed us an improvement in creativity. I loved it, so lets hope to see some more!

Who are you calling "you people?" Sorry, couldn't resist the Tropic Thunder quote that always jumps in my head when I see that said.

I think it is actually a lot more middle ground myself. I sometimes hate some of his play calls but other times he appears genius. I think he is getting better but also the O is getting more cohesive and consistant....2 very important components to make the OC look good. IDK where all the blame or bows goto as I am nowhere near considered important enough to the team to be given this data but it is definately easier to just have that one target for all the blame.
    Welcome to Mr. Wilson's Magic Show
    Strong safety Kam Chancellor, a 6-foot-3, 232-pound rhinoceros in cleats.....REED ALBERGOTTI
    Put them together, and this long-limbed, fleet-a-foot foursome forms a formidable force. ....Clare Farnsworth referencing the "Legion of Boom"
    oregonhawkfan
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• consistent calling (and apparent success) of QB sneaks will work like PA though, we'll go out in a sneak formation, quick slant to someone for a big gain.

Though I don't know why we don't just snap the ball directly to Tate and ask him to leap over the O-Line
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• bellingerga wrote:So which is it.... you people say he's not the only one to blame when we critisize, but then you post how Creative he is and give him all the credit for the good. Can't have it both ways....

It's not "all or nothing". When he calls bad games (which he has), he's open for criticism. When he calls good games (which he has), he's open for a pat on the back. There's no question he was a little off earlier this season -- and very predictable. But a part of that was the offense being out of sync with injuries, the QB circus in camp, etc.

There are always multiple sides to a problem in the NFL. Of course the coaches are usually the first one to take the arrow, but it usually runs deeper. The offense is improving because of many aspects - longer leash for Wilson, improvement in the red zone, creative play calling, and most importantly execution - which trumps all.

Bevell did a good job designing the game plan for the Vikings. I'd like to see him do it against the likes of SF and Chicago before I get too excited about him.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• themunn wrote:consistent calling (and apparent success) of QB sneaks will work like PA though, we'll go out in a sneak formation, quick slant to someone for a big gain.

Though I don't know why we don't just snap the ball directly to Tate and ask him to leap over the O-Line

This is probably true. We will see the same formation on a third down, and will run a big play from it.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• v1rotv2 wrote:Could it be that we had to wait until Wilson and other grew enough to install this complexity. I go back to what PC said "I am the one holding back the offense". He wanted to wait until the players were ready. Obviously they now are ready.

The first game after the midway point of the season. I really don't think Bevell just got good at what he does, this is by design.

Excellent point. I don't why people always say Bevell sucks when we lose hut he's good when we win. According to the announcers, we have the youngest starting offense in the NFL. That is why Pete was holding Bevell and Wilson back.

Bevell was good in Minnesota and he is good here.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• i've been pretty hard on Bevell, looks like he's coming around and opening up the playbood more and more.. so relieved.. still think it took too long, and i still don't like the let's try not to lose mentallity as apposed to the let's win this thing... don't know if that's on him or Caroll... just wish we weren't so conservative with the lead, but maybe that's just who we are at this point.
    would like to see more play action and a little less open backfield shotgun formations, having a back in the backfield keeps them guessing.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• I enjoyed the read immensely. I always look forward to the next game, especially after a win, but am now looking forward to seeing what Bevell is going to do with the offense. I liked it (last week) from a competitive standpoint. Yes. It was executed and yielded points, but I found it to be extremely entertaining as well. I rarely thought that during the Holmgren era. The playcalling seemed at times unimaginative. I expect him to again change things up a bit for the Jets and produce another 30 point offensive performance.
    capncrunch
    NET Rookie

• Nice write up. I remember thinking that our offense looked completely different against the Vikings than it had all season. It looked more complex, more NFL 'normal'. I think we're going to want to wait a little bit in our judgment until the next 4 games are over, but I agree with the idea that Pete might have been the one holding even Bevell back from these kinds of things, but again, we won't know that for sure until another 2 or 3 games have passed. (The Bears game will be a great test, btw.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Back to back QB sneaks when you have Marshawn Lynch is just brutal.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Like others I didn't like much of the play-calling with that said

NE - Very open game plan and downfield
    SF - look that first half is extremely agressive. If the WRs catches those balls we have 14 or 21 points in the first half against one of the best defenses in the league.!!!!! I do think that in halftime Bevell was told to tone it down as we hadn't put points on the board unfortunately that combined with the inability to get SF off the field led to a bad second half
    Detroit - attacking offense again opened up the playbook
    Minnesota - we all loved it

So four out of 9 games - pretty darn agressive in my book. I don't think it took as long as some may think I just think many remembers the second half of the 49ers game and Bevell is judged based on that
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I have always thought his schemes were good but we just didn't execute - mostly because of poor QB play in the past two years and to an extent, especially this year at times, poorer receiver play.

Offense takes much longer to get comfortable with than defense which is why our defense can turn around so quickly but the offense has been lagging. The upside to that patience is seen on the field over a long period of time. QBs who are comfortable in a system can produce at high levels for a long time even as there skills diminish - that comfort level with the schemes, personnel and play calling takes time.

Having a rookie looking so comfortable in the system already is a great step forward and will pay dividends for years to come. I personally can't wait to see this offense grow as we add some pieces to the draft.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• After reviewing the tape, GREAT week for Bevell. The screens were fantastic, even back-to-back to Tate. Running out of the shotgun. The roll-outs. The Sidney Rice pass. A couple great post routes where Bevell guessed correctly on the coverage. Passing on first down. The trap to Robinson. The only thing he didn't do was pop a deep ball, but it didn't look like that was there.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information