Charley Martin waived, Tuinea released from PS

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• Sounds like Edwards is healthy again.

As far as the roster move goes - I dunno... could be interesting.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• They might just be making a spot to activate Thurmond.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Seems like Charly Martin had chance but didn't do much. He may be headed back to the PS.
    * NET Staff *

• Hawkstorian wrote:Seems like Charly Martin had chance but didn't do much. He may be headed back to the PS.

I might be wrong, but I think Charly has no PS eligibility.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Does Martin still have PS eligibility? He's been around a while.

He looked nice in the preseason. But did nothing in the regular season to impress. Couldnt get open enough, and didnt seem to make a big enough difference on special teams to warrant his wr roster spot on a team thin at the position.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• clearing up a spot for a line backer or Thurmond , 100% not routt.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

• They haven't thrown much to Martin since he came back. I'd be curious to see how many plays he was in on.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• He may not. Every time I think I get the PS rules it turns out I don't.
    * NET Staff *

• Its been nice Charly.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Why hang on to Kearse? He has potential but that drop really screwed up his team in what could have been a close game.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Vote of confidence for Kearse.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:Why hang on to Kearse? He has potential but that drop really screwed up his team in what could have been a close game.

I think there's some rule about having to keep a guy on your roster for so many games (3?) when you elevate them from the practice squad, so I don't think they can do anything with Kearse the next few weeks.

As for the cutting of Martin, it does sound like they expect Edwards and the other receivers (sans Obomanu) to be ready to go, and this move is likely to either add a Linebacker, or more likely, to bring in Thurmond.
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Activating Thurmond seems the most likely explanation. PS is one now man down and I'd not be at all surprised to see the team add back CB-Gorrer to the PS.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Why hang on to Kearse? He has potential but that drop really screwed up his team in what could have been a close game.

I think there's some rule about having to keep a guy on your roster for so many games (3?) when you elevate them from the practice squad, so I don't think they can do anything with Kearse the next few weeks.

As for the cutting of Martin, it does sound like they expect Edwards and the other receivers (sans Obomanu) to be ready to go, and this move is likely to either add a Linebacker, or more likely, to bring in Thurmond.

I think the 3 game rule applies to players claimed of the practic squad of compeditors. They can place Kearse on waviers at any time as long as he is healthy. Obomanu has been placed on injured reserve for the ballance of the year.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• I did some looking around, and it seems that the guarantee is for salary only (at least according to the link below). Apparently a player is guaranteed a minimum of 3 weeks of salary at the contract level that he is signed for when activated. He can be cut, released or whatever, but they still must continue to pay him for at least the 3 week minimum.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/9/1/3284694/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-player-eligibility
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Everything I've ever read from people on the inside of Hawks practices say that the team is more impressed/encouraged with Kearse than Martin. Martin had a nice preseason & offered some things on special teams. But he's done little with the opportunities he's received. Not surprising seeing the team stick with the UDFA rookie they plucked out of college over the 4th year practice squad journeyman.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• jammerhawk wrote:Activating Thurmond seems the most likely explanation. PS is one now man down and I'd not be at all surprised to see the team add back CB-Gorrer to the PS.

Not going to happen.

Bucs Claim CB Gorrer from Seahawks October 31

Link >> http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... 996a010cf9

By the way, Gorrer never saw the field during his short stay in Seattle.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Kearse has a lot of upside from what I have seen of him, his route running seems pretty solid. He sort of reminds me of the a smaller version of Demaryius Thomas. Unfortunately I have a buddy who is a huge Broncos fan and I have therefore endured my share of the Broncos the last couple years. Last year DT dropped everything thrown at him but would show glimpses of amazing athleticism with a great catch here and there. He gets a new QB this year and it's a whole new player. Granted that QB is Peyton, but I think we may have our own :)

Not saying that he is going to be a world beater but I think he may bring something to the table. I certainly hope so.
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Well, we are severely short at wr, so evidently Giacomini will be in the slot.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Well, we are severely short at wr, so evidently Giacomini will be in the slot.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• We are severely short at QB as well but that seems to be working out.
    Rose City Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:Well, we are severely short at wr, so evidently Giacomini will be in the slot.

He'd own one on one match-ups.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Can you imagine a safety or Mike seeing BG coming across the middle?
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• I think WT3 gets his roster spot.Kearse just seems to have more upside than Martin
    canzag
    NET Veteran

• canzag wrote:I think WT3 gets his roster spot.Kearse just seems to have more upside than Martin

I loved the way Kearse laughed after dropping a pass that hit him right on his hands. But he has TONS of potential.... :roll:

He is a friggin Dump Truck.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Martin can't go to the PS. He's in like his 4th or 5th year isn't he? The guy has been invisible. I haven't seen him do anything on special teams... not even being in on a tackle.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Largent80 wrote:
    canzag wrote:I think WT3 gets his roster spot.Kearse just seems to have more upside than Martin

I loved the way Kearse laughed after dropping a pass that hit him right on his hands. But he has TONS of potential.... :roll:

He is a friggin Dump Truck.

While I am not sold on Kearse name anyone on this team that is eligible to catch a pass and has not dropped one or more. They all have.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Largent80 wrote:Well, we are severely short at wr, so evidently Giacomini will be in the slot.

Nah, our QB is severely short too, so it's all good,
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Damn. I liked Tuinei.
    Superbowl.
    NJHawksFan
    NET Practice Squad

• All these moves at WR lately remove what little remaining doubt I had that the team will be looking at WR this offseason. Maybe it will happen in FA, or maybe early in the draft, or maybe they'll bring in another slew of UDFA's, but I expect the churn to continue. The only WRs who are a lock for next season are the current starters.

I hope that is the last pass Kearse drops for a long time. And not because it's the last pass he ever sees. He might only get a few more targets the rest of the season. It's key that he capitalizes on every one of them. Kearse runs good routes and knows how to get to the football. He was Jake Locker's #1 WR and was nearly a 1000 yard WR for Keith Price despite having a ton of competition for receptions in 2011 (ASJ, Williams, Aguilar, Polk). But drops hurt more in a possession oriented offense, and Seattle has not invested in him. He's a lot like Darrell Jackson, minus the NFL track record. It's time to start building that track record now or fuggedaboutit.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Jville wrote:
    jammerhawk wrote:Activating Thurmond seems the most likely explanation. PS is one now man down and I'd not be at all surprised to see the team add back CB-Gorrer to the PS.

Not going to happen.

Bucs Claim CB Gorrer from Seahawks October 31

Link >> http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... 996a010cf9

By the way, Gorrer never saw the field during his short stay in Seattle.

Thanks Jville hadn't noticed that waiver wire transaction.

Thought Gorrer had some genuine talent but there is already some depth here at CB. It's hard to crack this lineup. I guess LB may be another area where some depth is needed.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Brian Banks PS invite (LB)? and Activate WT3 off the PUP
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:All these moves at WR lately remove what little remaining doubt I had that the team will be looking at WR this offseason. Maybe it will happen in FA, or maybe early in the draft, or maybe they'll bring in another slew of UDFA's, but I expect the churn to continue. The only WRs who are a lock for next season are the current starters.

I hope that is the last pass Kearse drops for a long time. And not because it's the last pass he ever sees. He might only get a few more targets the rest of the season. It's key that he capitalizes on every one of them. Kearse runs good routes and knows how to get to the football. He was Jake Locker's #1 WR and was nearly a 1000 yard WR for Keith Price despite having a ton of competition for receptions in 2011 (ASJ, Williams, Aguilar, Polk). But drops hurt more in a possession oriented offense, and Seattle has not invested in him. He's a lot like Darrell Jackson, minus the NFL track record. It's time to start building that track record now or fuggedaboutit.

I agree with your opening statement, kearly. In addition to what you said, I also can't see John Schneider not going after a receiver in the draft sooner or later. He came from GB and saw first hand what surrounding a promising, young quarterback with young, explosive pass catching weapons can do. I'm fully expecting at season's end to hear Pete speak about identifying the need for acquiring more speed and talent at the WR/TE positions, much like he did last season when talking about the desire to upgrade team speed on defense, especially at LB.

As far as Kearse is concerned, he's quite the frustrating player, and this is coming from a Cougs fan who didn't watch all of his games with the Huskies. Even during the Apple Cup and the few odd Huskies games I would watch (I specifically remember watching them beat Oregon State one night on ESPN a few years ago at Husky Stadium in an amazing game and being amazed with Kearse in that game. He just seemed to have the ability to always get open and make the tough grab) I always came away very impressed with him. Not following the Huskies close enough, thankfully ;) , I guess I didn't get the complete picture with him. And you're right, he's going to have a short leash in Seattle in a possession offense. I do expect him to at least make it to Training Camp next season though, since it seems the team/players think he has quite a bit of untapped potential. I love your D-Jack comparison. It seems to fit here. Ability to get open consistently but an inability to consistently make the routine catches.

If we take a look at the "locks" for next season at WR/TE we've got:

Locks:
    Rice - He's well worth $7M if he stays healthy and continues to lead the receiving core like this
    Tate - Finally off the bubble. He's showing that he might have what it takes to be PC and JS' much longed for "Touchdown Maker"
    Baldwin - Despite his injury plagued, inconsistent year he's still yet to get going and I think he'll bounce back. Even if he doesn't, he's young and affordable. Definitely would be deserving of a mulligan. Also an intense competitor so you know he'll be back.

Upper Middle-Class Bubble:
    Miller: - I think he'll be back, but he's due $11M next season. He's a fine player and a great team player for accepting such a selfless role in comparison to his skills, but they're probably going to have to work out that contract first and that can sometimes get messy. That being said, this Front Office has shown good savvy so I expect that something will get worked out. I'd say he's got an 80% chance of being on the team next season

Lower Middle-Class Bubble:
    McCoy: - I think he'll be back because he's the most balanced backup TE we have in terms of blocking/receiving, but that's not saying much, honestly. I think there's a good chance that Zach reworks his contract and the team goes to the draft to find a more "modern" pass catching tight end. Zach is techinically still the starter, but the rookie is used more in a receiving role, while Zach assumes his role as a more balanced option, which would honestly be a great weapon for Russell and might even increase Miller's production overall. I'd say McCoy has a 60% chance of being back with the team next year.

Unemployment:
    Everyone Else - The truth of the matter is that nobody else is even close to being a lock going into next season, at this point. Evan Moore has been a bust although I'm still glad the team cut Winslow considering how his life has gone afterwards. Kearse is the most promising at this point but we know about the problems consistently catching the ball. Like you said kearly, that could cost him his shot at being a mainstay in his hometown. Braylon can be replaced, as can Obo. At this point, I'm honestly surprised they haven't signed Ricardo Lockette off the Niners Practice Squad and on to the 53-Man. They must've really soured on him in a short period of time. Which sucks, because I thought he was going to be a stud, wrong again haha

I think the writing is on the wall that much like LB last year, this team will seek out speed and length at WR in the 2013 Draft.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• Where is everone getting this 11 million dollar number for Miller in 2013? I found his salary next year to be 6.8 million, with a 7 mil cap hit.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• It claims that he's due to make a $3M roster bonus next season. Taking his cap hit up to $11M.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• NYCoug wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Where is everone getting this 11 million dollar number for Miller in 2013? I found his salary next year to be 6.8 million, with a 7 mil cap hit.

Honestly, don't know how solid these guys are but this was what I was going off of.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/zach-miller/

Good get.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• What's crazy is that he goes back down to an affordable rate in 2014 and 2015.

I don't know if the Front Office did this to protect themselves or to potentially reward Zach for an assumed 2 great seasons or what. Should be interesting to see how it plays out with him though.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• I think Miller will be huge in this offense down the stretch and definitely next season. They're starting to work him in as the O-line gradually improves and Wilson becomes more comfortable. Look for Miller to become something like Witten is for the cowboys, a reliable pass catcher that can move the chains consistently.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• NYCoug wrote:What's crazy is that he goes back down to an affordable rate in 2014 and 2015.

I don't know if the Front Office did this to protect themselves or to potentially reward Zach for an assumed 2 great seasons or what. Should be interesting to see how it plays out with him though.

1 million is signing bonus, and over 3 million is other bonuses. That three million could be any assortment of attainable or unattainable money that may not make it to the cap hit.

If I am Zach I don't really want to redo my deal. It isn't his fault they made him block for two years.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Yup. Which is why I think it COULD get ugly. I don't see why Zach would budge at all, considering he's done exactly what the team has asked of him to this point. He's doing his job.

Edit: On that site it says $3.2M Misc Bonus, but if you look on the left hand side at the breakdown of what the bonuses are for, it says it's a $3M roster bonus. I'm assuming that means he gets the 3M for making the team and the .2M are the incentives? Or am I wrong here?

Another Edit: Think I found it. Down at the bottom on the left hand side it says that he'll make a $200,000 "workout bonus" for 2013-2015. If these numbers are to be believed of course.
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information