Charley Martin waived, Tuinea released from PS

canzag

Reaction score
I think WT3 gets his roster spot.Kearse just seems to have more upside than Martin

Largent80

Reaction score
canzag":cksxyfzi said:
I think WT3 gets his roster spot.Kearse just seems to have more upside than Martin

I loved the way Kearse laughed after dropping a pass that hit him right on his hands. But he has TONS of potential.... :roll:

He is a friggin Dump Truck.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Martin can't go to the PS. He's in like his 4th or 5th year isn't he? The guy has been invisible. I haven't seen him do anything on special teams... not even being in on a tackle.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Largent80":66mf01ri said:
canzag":66mf01ri said:

I loved the way Kearse laughed after dropping a pass that hit him right on his hands. But he has TONS of potential.... :roll:

He is a friggin Dump Truck.

While I am not sold on Kearse name anyone on this team that is eligible to catch a pass and has not dropped one or more. They all have.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Largent80":18pn1tf2 said:
Well, we are severely short at wr, so evidently Giacomini will be in the slot.
Nah, our QB is severely short too, so it's all good,

kearly

Reaction score
All these moves at WR lately remove what little remaining doubt I had that the team will be looking at WR this offseason. Maybe it will happen in FA, or maybe early in the draft, or maybe they'll bring in another slew of UDFA's, but I expect the churn to continue. The only WRs who are a lock for next season are the current starters.

I hope that is the last pass Kearse drops for a long time. And not because it's the last pass he ever sees. He might only get a few more targets the rest of the season. It's key that he capitalizes on every one of them. Kearse runs good routes and knows how to get to the football. He was Jake Locker's #1 WR and was nearly a 1000 yard WR for Keith Price despite having a ton of competition for receptions in 2011 (ASJ, Williams, Aguilar, Polk). But drops hurt more in a possession oriented offense, and Seattle has not invested in him. He's a lot like Darrell Jackson, minus the NFL track record. It's time to start building that track record now or fuggedaboutit.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville":2jzyjhol said:
jammerhawk":2jzyjhol said:
Activating Thurmond seems the most likely explanation. PS is one now man down and I'd not be at all surprised to see the team add back CB-Gorrer to the PS.

Not going to happen.

Bucs Claim CB Gorrer from Seahawks October 31

Link >> http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article- ... 996a010cf9

By the way, Gorrer never saw the field during his short stay in Seattle.

Thanks Jville hadn't noticed that waiver wire transaction.

Thought Gorrer had some genuine talent but there is already some depth here at CB. It's hard to crack this lineup. I guess LB may be another area where some depth is needed.

NYCoug

Reaction score
kearly":1rgtifxj said:
All these moves at WR lately remove what little remaining doubt I had that the team will be looking at WR this offseason. Maybe it will happen in FA, or maybe early in the draft, or maybe they'll bring in another slew of UDFA's, but I expect the churn to continue. The only WRs who are a lock for next season are the current starters.

I hope that is the last pass Kearse drops for a long time. And not because it's the last pass he ever sees. He might only get a few more targets the rest of the season. It's key that he capitalizes on every one of them. Kearse runs good routes and knows how to get to the football. He was Jake Locker's #1 WR and was nearly a 1000 yard WR for Keith Price despite having a ton of competition for receptions in 2011 (ASJ, Williams, Aguilar, Polk). But drops hurt more in a possession oriented offense, and Seattle has not invested in him. He's a lot like Darrell Jackson, minus the NFL track record. It's time to start building that track record now or fuggedaboutit.

I agree with your opening statement, kearly. In addition to what you said, I also can't see John Schneider not going after a receiver in the draft sooner or later. He came from GB and saw first hand what surrounding a promising, young quarterback with young, explosive pass catching weapons can do. I'm fully expecting at season's end to hear Pete speak about identifying the need for acquiring more speed and talent at the WR/TE positions, much like he did last season when talking about the desire to upgrade team speed on defense, especially at LB.

As far as Kearse is concerned, he's quite the frustrating player, and this is coming from a Cougs fan who didn't watch all of his games with the Huskies. Even during the Apple Cup and the few odd Huskies games I would watch (I specifically remember watching them beat Oregon State one night on ESPN a few years ago at Husky Stadium in an amazing game and being amazed with Kearse in that game. He just seemed to have the ability to always get open and make the tough grab) I always came away very impressed with him. Not following the Huskies close enough, thankfully ;) , I guess I didn't get the complete picture with him. And you're right, he's going to have a short leash in Seattle in a possession offense. I do expect him to at least make it to Training Camp next season though, since it seems the team/players think he has quite a bit of untapped potential. I love your D-Jack comparison. It seems to fit here. Ability to get open consistently but an inability to consistently make the routine catches.

If we take a look at the "locks" for next season at WR/TE we've got:

Locks:
Rice - He's well worth $7M if he stays healthy and continues to lead the receiving core like this
Tate - Finally off the bubble. He's showing that he might have what it takes to be PC and JS' much longed for "Touchdown Maker"
Baldwin - Despite his injury plagued, inconsistent year he's still yet to get going and I think he'll bounce back. Even if he doesn't, he's young and affordable. Definitely would be deserving of a mulligan. Also an intense competitor so you know he'll be back.

Upper Middle-Class Bubble:
Miller: - I think he'll be back, but he's due $11M next season. He's a fine player and a great team player for accepting such a selfless role in comparison to his skills, but they're probably going to have to work out that contract first and that can sometimes get messy. That being said, this Front Office has shown good savvy so I expect that something will get worked out. I'd say he's got an 80% chance of being on the team next season

Lower Middle-Class Bubble:
McCoy: - I think he'll be back because he's the most balanced backup TE we have in terms of blocking/receiving, but that's not saying much, honestly. I think there's a good chance that Zach reworks his contract and the team goes to the draft to find a more "modern" pass catching tight end. Zach is techinically still the starter, but the rookie is used more in a receiving role, while Zach assumes his role as a more balanced option, which would honestly be a great weapon for Russell and might even increase Miller's production overall. I'd say McCoy has a 60% chance of being back with the team next year.

Unemployment:
Everyone Else - The truth of the matter is that nobody else is even close to being a lock going into next season, at this point. Evan Moore has been a bust although I'm still glad the team cut Winslow considering how his life has gone afterwards. Kearse is the most promising at this point but we know about the problems consistently catching the ball. Like you said kearly, that could cost him his shot at being a mainstay in his hometown. Braylon can be replaced, as can Obo. At this point, I'm honestly surprised they haven't signed Ricardo Lockette off the Niners Practice Squad and on to the 53-Man. They must've really soured on him in a short period of time. Which sucks, because I thought he was going to be a stud, wrong again haha

I think the writing is on the wall that much like LB last year, this team will seek out speed and length at WR in the 2013 Draft.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Where is everone getting this 11 million dollar number for Miller in 2013? I found his salary next year to be 6.8 million, with a 7 mil cap hit.

NYCoug

Reaction score
It claims that he's due to make a $3M roster bonus next season. Taking his cap hit up to $11M.

NYCoug

Reaction score
What's crazy is that he goes back down to an affordable rate in 2014 and 2015.

I don't know if the Front Office did this to protect themselves or to potentially reward Zach for an assumed 2 great seasons or what. Should be interesting to see how it plays out with him though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NYCoug":2gaqggy5 said:
What's crazy is that he goes back down to an affordable rate in 2014 and 2015.

I don't know if the Front Office did this to protect themselves or to potentially reward Zach for an assumed 2 great seasons or what. Should be interesting to see how it plays out with him though.
1 million is signing bonus, and over 3 million is other bonuses. That three million could be any assortment of attainable or unattainable money that may not make it to the cap hit.

If I am Zach I don't really want to redo my deal. It isn't his fault they made him block for two years.