Charley Martin waived, Tuinea released from PS

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Seems like Charly Martin had chance but didn't do much. He may be headed back to the PS.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1uv8mi15 said:
Seems like Charly Martin had chance but didn't do much. He may be headed back to the PS.
I might be wrong, but I think Charly has no PS eligibility.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Does Martin still have PS eligibility? He's been around a while.

He looked nice in the preseason. But did nothing in the regular season to impress. Couldnt get open enough, and didnt seem to make a big enough difference on special teams to warrant his wr roster spot on a team thin at the position.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He may not. Every time I think I get the PS rules it turns out I don't.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Why hang on to Kearse? He has potential but that drop really screwed up his team in what could have been a close game.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":23nfj642 said:
Why hang on to Kearse? He has potential but that drop really screwed up his team in what could have been a close game.

I think there's some rule about having to keep a guy on your roster for so many games (3?) when you elevate them from the practice squad, so I don't think they can do anything with Kearse the next few weeks.

As for the cutting of Martin, it does sound like they expect Edwards and the other receivers (sans Obomanu) to be ready to go, and this move is likely to either add a Linebacker, or more likely, to bring in Thurmond.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Activating Thurmond seems the most likely explanation. PS is one now man down and I'd not be at all surprised to see the team add back CB-Gorrer to the PS.

Jville

Reaction score
kidhawk":1rf9lahy said:
ivotuk":1rf9lahy said:

I think there's some rule about having to keep a guy on your roster for so many games (3?) when you elevate them from the practice squad, so I don't think they can do anything with Kearse the next few weeks.

As for the cutting of Martin, it does sound like they expect Edwards and the other receivers (sans Obomanu) to be ready to go, and this move is likely to either add a Linebacker, or more likely, to bring in Thurmond.

I think the 3 game rule applies to players claimed of the practic squad of compeditors. They can place Kearse on waviers at any time as long as he is healthy. Obomanu has been placed on injured reserve for the ballance of the year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I did some looking around, and it seems that the guarantee is for salary only (at least according to the link below). Apparently a player is guaranteed a minimum of 3 weeks of salary at the contract level that he is signed for when activated. He can be cut, released or whatever, but they still must continue to pay him for at least the 3 week minimum.

[urltargetblank]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2012/9/1/3284694/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-player-eligibility[/urltargetblank]

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
Everything I've ever read from people on the inside of Hawks practices say that the team is more impressed/encouraged with Kearse than Martin. Martin had a nice preseason & offered some things on special teams. But he's done little with the opportunities he's received. Not surprising seeing the team stick with the UDFA rookie they plucked out of college over the 4th year practice squad journeyman.

Jville

Reaction score

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Kearse has a lot of upside from what I have seen of him, his route running seems pretty solid. He sort of reminds me of the a smaller version of Demaryius Thomas. Unfortunately I have a buddy who is a huge Broncos fan and I have therefore endured my share of the Broncos the last couple years. Last year DT dropped everything thrown at him but would show glimpses of amazing athleticism with a great catch here and there. He gets a new QB this year and it's a whole new player. Granted that QB is Peyton, but I think we may have our own :)

Not saying that he is going to be a world beater but I think he may bring something to the table. I certainly hope so.