2012 QB Draft class - Seahawk related

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Tarkenton was also the all time leading qb rusher when he retired....their scrambling style looks sooooo similar. Fun to watch.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I like RGIII but his success will be held back by Dan Snyder and the Redskins' front office. They are terrible.

suppaball

Reaction score
I'll take our guy, and I fully agree on the Tarkinton comparison.

To me RW looks like Fran + Brees I think, given the Myans being wrong, (joke) We will be contending for titles for years to come.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Speaking of Luck .. The colts strategy of bringing along his college tightends seems to e working well. I wonder why more clubs don’t do this? I also know Russell Wilson’s TE at NC State is in shape and ready to go if needed.

George Bryan is 6’5” barefoot 265 lbs with long arms and great hands. He has been working with a strength and conditioning coach and has improved both his upper body and his speed. He and Russ really had a great connection at NC State and he could be a great help on the Seahawk roster as a second or third TE.

Bipolar

Reaction score
this year's draft QB class is phenomenal. Luck, RG3, T-hill and RW have everything going for them, to become the next Eli Manning / Big Ben / Rivers / Shaub.

hawker84

Reaction score
i would've been happy with any of the top 4 on the OP's list... however given where we're at now, i'm extremely happy and excited to have RW as our QB...

luck is everything they said he is, and will be a force in this league for years... uggggg hate the colts
RGIII is extremly talented as well, i would even venture to put him above Vick in his prime
Tannehill is solid as well, and has a laser arm, good poise, and works good in the pocket..

but my list would look like this at this point in the season...

1. luck
2. Wilson
3. Tannehill
4. Weeden

no understanding why people are saying RG3 is better than wilson.... better at what? throwing? maybe.. running? No (he's faster) reading defenses? doubt it.. going through his progressions? again doubt it... leading the team? would seriously doubt it>>>> so not sure why people say he's better..

themunn

Reaction score
I'm happy with Wilson, because as good as RGIII is, we spent a 3rd round pick to get our QB of the future, the redskins spent 3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick. and we didn't have to go through a 2-14 season to get one either
Where the redskins picked up a QB and a guard who has played just 1 game (not even sure how many snaps), we picked up a QB, a starting MLB, a DE with 5 sacks to his name already, and over the next years, probably two more starters (probably a WR in 2013 and who knows in 2014?)

NYCoug

Reaction score
I think he's Tarkenton and Warren Moon all in 1.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Luck-P. Manning
Wilson-Brees
RGIII-Vick+

I haven't seen the other two play so I can't give an opinion.
FWIW, Vick+=better than.

mikeak

Reaction score
Colt and Washington knew who their starter was about a year ago....... OK that might be a bit over the top but come February / March they surely knew. Everyone knew Indy was picking Luck and everyone knew Washington was going RG3 next. Then Miami knew their starter come draft day.

EDIT - just realized washington traded up - oh well still knew their starter by draft day

Seattle knew their Starter late August..........

The point of this is playbook, playcalling, practice and just an overall game plan was for two teams started 8-10 months ago and for the Seahawks two weeks before the first game of the season. This is why we are seeing the Seahawks game opening up more as the season goes on and and I think our upside is huge. Luck and RG3 looks like they are for real but they did benefit from the early start. I am very interested to see how things compare next year.

Sac

Reaction score
RW is like Steve Young, only he will have a longer career because he doesn't take the hits. Pretty good that the rookie knows to get down.

canfan

Reaction score
I find it interesting how the different teams are developing their rookies. Miami and Washington seem to have adapted their offenses to what the QB is comfortable with...a 1 or 2 read option. Its getting them the best production early, but I think at the expense of the growth of the QB. I think this method comes back to bite you after the DC's around the league have about 8 games of tape to look at. Nobody mentions that Cam Newtons numbers were really quite pedestrian the last 1/2 of last year and so were Andy Dalton's. Both are now struggling to adjust to the adjustments the other teams have made to them.

On the other hand, Seattle and Indy took the longer view of staying true to their offensive philosophy, but simplifying their offense and then expanding it as the QB's ability to read defenses improves. Luck is further along this path than RW, but in both cases this means sustained growth and learning for the QB and less chance of a sophmore slump. I think RW will continue to improve week in and week out, and not fall back to the pack like I expect Tannehill and RGIII to do. Don't get me wrong, I think both are going to be excellent NFL QB's, (especially RGII...incredible athelete and incredibly football smart) but I think it may take a little longer to get there.

No opinion on what they are doing with Weedon....I haven't had the opportunity to watch him at all.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
pehawk":2baxb5mk said:
No way is RG3 this years Cam. That's just lazy, IMO.

I was thinking how odd it is that every fanbase would most likely keep their rookie QB. Maybe not Cleveland, but he's not too terrible.

It's not lazy. Look at the results. Both have come in with extraordinary hype. Both have been productive. However, both aren't winning at the moment. Both defenses have let their rookie QB's down. That is the extent of my comparision. But that's alot of similarities. They numbers are very comparable aside from Newton's 6 more INT.

Newton (8 games (wk 9 bye))= 2393 yards, 60.1 Comp%, 11 TD's, 9 INT, 319 rushing yds, 7 Td's. 18 Total TD's.
Robert Griffin (9 games)= 1993 yards, 65% comp%, 8 TD's, 3 INT, 529 yards rushing, 6 TD's. 14 Total TD's

I wasn't implying that their styles were similar or not. Nor was I arguing that they are similar in terms of their leadership ability. I haven't watched enough of either to make a statement on those items.

I think what Luck is doing is more impressive. Both Luck and RG3 have equally bad teams but Luck is doing more to carry his team IMO. Both are showing good promise as is Wilson and Tannehill. The jury seems to be still out on Weeden.

Happy

Reaction score
canfan":e3244se6 said:
I find it interesting how the different teams are developing their rookies. Miami and Washington seem to have adapted their offenses to what the QB is comfortable with...a 1 or 2 read option. Its getting them the best production early, but I think at the expense of the growth of the QB. I think this method comes back to bite you after the DC's around the league have about 8 games of tape to look at. Nobody mentions that Cam Newtons numbers were really quite pedestrian the last 1/2 of last year and so were Andy Dalton's. Both are now struggling to adjust to the adjustments the other teams have made to them.

On the other hand, Seattle and Indy took the longer view of staying true to their offensive philosophy, but simplifying their offense and then expanding it as the QB's ability to read defenses improves. Luck is further along this path than RW, but in both cases this means sustained growth and learning for the QB and less chance of a sophmore slump. I think RW will continue to improve week in and week out, and not fall back to the pack like I expect Tannehill and RGIII to do. Don't get me wrong, I think both are going to be excellent NFL QB's, (especially RGII...incredible athelete and incredibly football smart) but I think it may take a little longer to get there.

No opinion on what they are doing with Weedon....I haven't had the opportunity to watch him at all.

Phenomenal post. That's exactly how I see it.

Shanny is worried about his job, I can see why he's doing what he's doing. Miami not so much. 1st year head coach, every logical reason in the world to take his time laying the foundation for his program. Could be the head coach is more hired help than orchestra conductor and someone higher up the food chain is giving him direction.

mikeak

Reaction score
canfan -- great post and while not a rookie I would put Ponder in the same group as RG3. Came out strong to start the year and I was scratching my head as I had him listed under the terrible column. As teams gets more film on them and can game plan better for the style Ponder is showing a complete lack of ability to play the qb position

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
canfan: another "great post" from me too. Not sure Miami/Tannehill belong in that group because I'm not so sure they hadn't already decided on his former college coach (Sherman IIRC) as OC before drafting him meaning they may have well already planned on implementing the offense Tannehill's now running. Otherwise I think you're spot on (and I freely admit I could be incorrect about the Miami situation).

HawkWow

Reaction score
If all things were equal, I would take both Luck and Wilson over RG3. Many good posts reagrding this in this thread so I don't need to be redundant in repeating what's already been said. I will add that those considering RG3 over Luck were / are out of their minds and I also think the comparsion to Cam is legit. I wish him well, but RG3 won't be around long. Every draft has at least one of these guys and despite historical data, there's always some team that believes this year's version will not be like the rest. Usually desperation is the culprit. You take a Luck to (ultimately) win championships and you take an RG3 to (immediately) put butts in seats. I wouldn't trade Wilson for RG3, but I'd give Wilson and a 1st for Luck. YMMV.

mikeak

Reaction score
RG3 playing well because of the system and plays called and him going downhill a bit for the rest of the year does in my mind NOT mean that he is not a future superstar. I think he has great accuracy and I just think he will take a big step back and then slowly move forward. Luck and RW will more continue to improve but it doesn't mean that they will end up being better than RG3.

Besides RG3's continuing running I don't see any red flags........