Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Which starting WR would you bench (or release) so that the new guy could start?
Sidney Rice 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Golden Tate 26%  26%  [ 24 ]
Doug Baldwin 72%  72%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 94
 Post subject: Re: If Seattle did invest in a WR, who would he replace?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:50 pm 
* NET Draft Guru *

I think I'd like to get a #1 or #1-2 WR and move Tate to the slot, and let him compete with Baldwin. All around depth would be improved quite a bit.

Rice is a true starting WR, whether he is #1 or #2 I keep him at least another year since we look pretty good in terms of cap room next year. Remember, he's only 14 months older than Bruce Irvin, so he could finish his contract right at his prime, unlike most big free agent signings. Injuries worry me, but that's it.

Tate is coming around this year, but he still isn't the kind of starting WR coaches go to bed dreaming of. IMO, his skillset is more suited to the imagined Tavon Austin role than a normal starting WR. Not as fast, but similar RAC capability since Tate can run through contact, and Tate's ability to fight for the ball makes him a good vertical threat.

Baldwin is having a truly disappointing season, with his drops being more memorable than his catches. There's always the chance that 2011 was the aberration. I tend to believe that Baldwin will be a great slot guy for us for next year, but even if true, the way he gets up after a tackle, it seems like 1 hit could do him in.

IMO, if we picked up a starting WR, I let Tate and Baldwin fight it out in the slot, with the idea being that we need depth anyways and Tate would be worked in for certain packages no matter what happens.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:23 pm 
* NET Sage *

T-Sizzle wrote:
oh god ....please no Welker. There is a reason the Pats are going to let him walk.

He's expensive?

Welker is too good to flop. I'd be thrilled with him or Mike Wallace.

Like Tavon Austin a lot too.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 pm 
* 17Power Blogger *

I get another fast receiver in the second round, probably a tight end, and keep Rice, Baldwin, AND Tate. The latter two would be absolutely unhinged playing underneath the umbrella of Rice and a real deep threat. Yes, it's gonna require some budget creativity, but Baldwin is bloody cheap and Rice and Tate really aren't impossible to work around financially. How much is a defense-styming, impossible-to-defend-everyone, utterly wide-open offense worth to you?

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

Sarlacc83 wrote:
kearly wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
We have two real offensive needs: a really good TE, and and elusive player with silly speed at any of the 3 skill positions. If that is a WR, then so be it, we will run more 3 WR sets. We have silly speed with Turbin already, but with Lynch, Turbo is just not going to be on the field that much. Unless Bevell starts designing some two RB sets, which would be a good idea.

I knew there was a reason I get "future seahawk" vibes from Tavon Austin. You are right, this offense needs a slick speedster. My preference would still be for Wes Welker though. I don't even care that he's 32 next season. It will take him a few years still to lose that speed, and when he does he'll still be useful ala Brandon Stokely. The Patriots wouldn't let him hit UFA would they? Would they?

If they do, I hope we stay far, far away from Welker. When's the last time the Patriots released an older player while he was still playing at a high to very high level?

You have the Belichick fear too?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

MontanaHawk05 wrote:
I get another fast receiver in the second round, probably a tight end, and keep Rice, Baldwin, AND Tate. The latter two would be absolutely unhinged playing underneath the umbrella of Rice and a real deep threat. Yes, it's gonna require some budget creativity, but Baldwin is bloody cheap and Rice and Tate really aren't impossible to work around financially. How much is a defense-styming, impossible-to-defend-everyone, utterly wide-open offense worth to you?

Baldwin is a good player, but one thing the last two seasons has shown, he can't take the NFL abuse. Last year a couple of injuries, this year at least three, a pattern is developing.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

For all of you touting Welker: Beware the receiver coming from a team with an all world QB.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:03 pm 
NET Veteran

I'd like to see a wide out on the field that safeties constantly have to know where he is and that means true burner speed.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:22 am 
* NET Philistine *

Scottemojo wrote:
Sarlacc83 wrote:
kearly wrote:

I knew there was a reason I get "future seahawk" vibes from Tavon Austin. You are right, this offense needs a slick speedster. My preference would still be for Wes Welker though. I don't even care that he's 32 next season. It will take him a few years still to lose that speed, and when he does he'll still be useful ala Brandon Stokely. The Patriots wouldn't let him hit UFA would they? Would they?

If they do, I hope we stay far, far away from Welker. When's the last time the Patriots released an older player while he was still playing at a high to very high level?

You have the Belichick fear too?

You know it. And no offense to kearly, but Lawyer Milloy doesn't inspire much confidence when the Patriots released Randy Moss a couple seasons after he set an NFL record, ya know?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:55 am 
NET Veteran

I just love reading posts that state we need to go get a #1 WR and maybe a speed guy, etc, like you are going to the store to fill out a shopping list. It's not that easy to just go out and get a guy to fill a hole. IMHO, WR might be one of the hardest positions to fill. It is one of those positions that rarely sees a guy play well, let alone dominate in his 1st year. I am one that believes there is a need for another WR. Could the position be upgraded? Hell yes! Will it be easy? Who knows? A highly touted WR could be drafted in the 1st round. High draft status does not guarantee production or success. (See Aaron Curry). The only way a WR, drafted or FA replaces anyone already on the roster is if they earn it in camp and on the field. (see Russell Wilson).

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:11 am 
NET Veteran

Moss is actually a very good example to use for NE. He was very good, but even other players in the league (Revis) called him out for taking plays off that he knew weren't going his way. He's always had an attitude problem, and the Pats don't deal with that.

When they released him, he pouted. His lack of effort doing just about everything was obvious, and it took him being out of the league a year to clean his act up. There was nothing physically wrong with him, or him being "washed up", it was a poor worth ethic and lack of being a good team mate.

Welker is the opposite of that. He has a great attitude and work ethic. He dared to want one more good contract and Belichick tried to bench him, being the egomaniac that he is (ok, ok, he's earned his ego but he was wrong here). You noticed the Pats offense really suffered for it. He didn't start the first 3 games of the season, and he still is close to leading the league in receptions. He opens the deep stuff up by forcing teams to watch the underneath stuff, since Welker is quick and will break tackles.

Also look at the body type; he's way thicker and stockier than a Baldwin is. He's also way sturdier and has missed far less games. He can take the beating, but yet, you rarely ever get a good shot at Welker. You never see him really getting lit up, which is why that Browner hit was so special. I think Welker has still got gas in the tank, but you have to look at our offense, and our QB, and see if he would mesh with us. If so, I'd do it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:29 pm 
* NET Draft Guru *

oldhawkfan wrote:
I just love reading posts that state we need to go get a #1 WR and maybe a speed guy, etc, like you are going to the store to fill out a shopping list. It's not that easy to just go out and get a guy to fill a hole. IMHO, WR might be one of the hardest positions to fill.

Sure, but it's even harder to fill if you don't try ;)

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:32 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Sarlacc83 wrote:
You know it. And no offense to kearly, but Lawyer Milloy doesn't inspire much confidence when the Patriots released Randy Moss a couple seasons after he set an NFL record, ya know?

No offense taken. Randy Moss looked done long before they let go of him. At the time that trade went down, the general reaction was of shock that any team would give up a 3rd rounder for Moss who was clearly past his prime.

Welker isn't there yet. The way he looks right now, he might not be there for a while. The fact that he's 32 next year makes him a risk, but if he wasn't risky he wouldn't be available in the first place. Maybe he still won't be available even considering his age. Maybe New England franchises him or locks him up.

As far as getting WRs from other elite QBs, I'm not too worried about that. Welker was a special player before Tom Brady.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]