Random Thoughts™ on the Vikings game

RockHawk

Reaction score
CANHawk":ctor4eyf said:
Mebane looks to be the 1-tech in most passing situations and appears to be doing a phenomenal job at it. I think 1-tech is set as far as starters go. IMO we need to invest in a long term 3-tech who can do what Jason Jones does for us on the passing downs - out rushing the OG and creating that interior pressure - with a big enough body to stay in there and plug gaps on the running downs. We need a Warren Sapp type dude to really make this pass rush go IMO. Jones is fantastic situationally and I'm a huge fan, but I'd like to see a full time all round big bodied pass rushing 3-tech in there. Someone with a skillset like Donkeykong Suh. That'd be bad ass.

Word on the street is that this dream might come true. He's always been a home body, and living closer to his home (Oregon) would be huge for him.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
RockHawk":3ifwf6uh said:
CANHawk":3ifwf6uh said:
Mebane looks to be the 1-tech in most passing situations and appears to be doing a phenomenal job at it. I think 1-tech is set as far as starters go. IMO we need to invest in a long term 3-tech who can do what Jason Jones does for us on the passing downs - out rushing the OG and creating that interior pressure - with a big enough body to stay in there and plug gaps on the running downs. We need a Warren Sapp type dude to really make this pass rush go IMO. Jones is fantastic situationally and I'm a huge fan, but I'd like to see a full time all round big bodied pass rushing 3-tech in there. Someone with a skillset like Donkeykong Suh. That'd be bad ass.

Word on the street is that this dream might come true. He's always been a home body, and living closer to his home (Oregon) would be huge for him.

Hmm... tantalizing information. Are you allowed to say what street you're hearing this on? The only reason i'm even questioning it is because he left home to go play college in Nebraska.

Jville

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":36yzxifm said:
Jville":36yzxifm said:
kearly":36yzxifm said:
-Rice could do nothing the rest of the year and he'd still be a Seahawk almost guaranteed in 2013. He's owed $7 million next year, but $7 million is a bargain for what he brings to this offense. Zach Miller is owed $11 million next season. I don't see any possible way he gets that money, but he's starting to make that inevitable decision look pretty interesting after stringing together several strong games.

Rice still has to actually produce IMHO. I'm pulling for him but he still has to deliver in the second half of this season.

Zack Miller, like Rice, has to deliver value for the ballance of the year. Millers's numbers are 6.8 salary + 3.0 roster bonus = 9.8 mil for 2013. Four mil of that is guaranteed regardless if he plays or not. With an accelerated signing bonus write off, any potential cap savings shrinks.

Considering that there are no real alternative replacement for either one of these players, playing up to their contracts is the best outcome.

Not sure what Miller can do about lack of utilization in the passing game. He catches everything they throw his way.

Your right. Holding Miller in to protect Russell Wilson is certainly the greater priority. Millers is so very important to this offense.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jville":m1gnykt5 said:
Your right. Holding Miller in to protect Russell Wilson is certainly the greater priority. Millers is so very important to this offense.

Drives me crazy, though....I wish we could put linemen out there that could stand their ground so we could really use Miller the way we should be.

pehawk

Reaction score
W/O Miller, the GW TD vs NE doesn't occur. He's dynamic in protection.

VHawk

Reaction score
To see Miller actually used as a weapon would really make the offense so much more "DangeRuss"!

Jville

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":680fm01v said:
Jville":680fm01v said:

Drives me crazy, though....I wish we could put linemen out there that could stand their ground so we could really use Miller the way we should be.

I hear that. But if the game is indeed slowing down for Wilson and he is moving thru his progressions more comfortably, Miller should become more active as a receiver. The offense will grow and expand IMO. I like the improvement we have seen with receiver screens. This offense will finish out the regular season strongly as it grows and expands over the remaining weeks. Exciting times for Seattle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
CANHawk":3mtou53e said:
Jones is fantastic situationally and I'm a huge fan, but I'd like to see a full time all round big bodied pass rushing 3-tech in there. Someone with a skillset like Donkeykong Suh. That'd be bad ass.

We use a rotation of Jones and Alan Branch to accomplish this. It's cheaper and easier to draft than looking for both skillsets in a single DT, as such DT's rarely drop out of the top five.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jville":2ytg89w3 said:
FlyingGreg":2ytg89w3 said:
Jville":2ytg89w3 said:

I hear that. But if the game is indeed slowing down for Wilson and he is moving thru his progressions more comfortably, Miller should become more active as a receiver. The offense will grow and expand IMO. I like the improvement we have seen with receiver screens. This offense will finish out the regular season strongly as it grows and expands over the remaining weeks. Exciting times for Seattle.

Agreed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
RockHawk":g4tcofmp said:
CANHawk":g4tcofmp said:

That is at the back of my mind too, but lets face it: Suh will get franchised twice if he refuses to sign an extension with the Lions. That makes him a 7 year vet by the time he leaves Motor City.

Jville

Reaction score
It is not necessary to diminish and minimalize the contributions of a player to make room for the return of another.

kearly":2t83vuo2 said:
-Marcus Trufant had a brutal missed tackle that allowed a catch and run 3rd and long conversion- which would later result in a Vikings TD. He also got burned on a play later on and committed a no-doubter DPI. Pretty much his only highlight was a fumble recovery. The broadcast said he forced it too, but to my eyes it looked like Bobby Wagner was the one who stripped it. Still, it's games like this that should make a certain roster decision easier when Thurmond is activated again.

In the eyes of Seahawks.com and NFL Statisticians, Marcus Trufant both forced the fumble and recovered the fumble. There were a couple of Vikings who broke tackles and made a number of Seahawk defenders miss tackles. A lot of Seahawk defenders also failed to maintain gap integrity and proper containment angles. Singling out and unloading on one player seems rather unfair. Biased perhaps? Overall, I think Marcus has had a measure of success in transitioning to a nickle back. His tackle form and technique, for the most part, has been excellent IMO. I also believe the coaching staff values the veteran maturity that CB Trufant and LB Hill bring to a young Seahawk defense.

From a "be carefull what you wish for" perspective >> Marcus Trufant has been the coaching staffs nickle back of choice. Trufant is also the primary backup for Richard Sherman. Byron Maxwell's reoccuring hamstring injuries have derailed his development throughout his first two years. Maxwell bounces back and forth between active and inactive status as a special teams contributor.

As for Walter Thurmond, they must handle his return just right. His "career potential" is at stake. I think there is little room for another major set back or injury. It is reasonable to anticipate that there will be definitive plan to ease him back into real game speed reps. I think we are all wishing Thurmond success on the eve of his comeback effort.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Suh on the Seahawks would probably give me one of the biggest sportsgasms of my life.

Last year I would seriously try and come up with trade ideas to get him during down time. I'd honestly love to know what it would take to get him. Whatever it is, I'd probably be willing to pay it!