2012 QB Draft class - Seahawk related

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This QB draft class is turning out to be pretty good. So far those QBs that have been named starters have done a pretty good job in their stints.

Andrew Luck has his team 5-3 and in the playoff race.
RGIII has been phenomenal despite his team's record
Ryan Tannehill is doing well with Miami - 4-4
Brandon Weeden is playing fairly well
Russell Wilson is doing well at 5-4.

So far this class seems pretty darn good. 3 of the 4 starters have their teams in the playoff hunt midway through the season.

Don't remember many QB drafts as successful as this one....except for the legendary class of 1983.

Edit: Added RGIII, left him out by mistake on the original post.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Your missing Robert Griffin who is 3-6. Griffin is this year's version of Cam Newton. Flashy and has all the media hype, but isn't winning many games. I find it frustrating that the media is falling all over themselves over Griffin meanwhile Russell Wilson has improved each and every game and seems to be hitting his stride.

It's a pretty good class. In contrast the 2011 class is looking shaky- Cam Newton is questionable as a leader and has hit a SO slump. Gabbert is very shaky on a bad Jags team. Locker, has been injured. Ponder looked great to start they year but has had 2 sub-65 yard passing outing over the last 4 weeks. Dalton is hitting that SO slump and is the only QB to throw a INT in every game this year for far. Colin Kaepernick is a gimmick in SF this year and isn't really ready to start. In short the 2011 QB class started on fire and has since hit a slump calling into question most of their long term longevity.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I would still take Andrew Luck if given the opportunity. But after watching them all for half a season Russell Wilson would be my 2nd choice.

Rat

Reaction score
RG3 has been phenomenal. Looking at team records with rookie QBs isn't exactly fair. Unless you think RG3 would be 3-6 with our running game, defense, and home field advantage. Is it Griffin's fault that the Redskins have given up the most points of any team in the NFC (2nd most in the NFL)?

Indy, Washington, and Seattle should all be thrilled with their choices so far. Miami as well, although not to the same extent yet. Weeden is doing OK, but it wouldn't surprise me if Cleveland went in a different direction if they could do it again.

VHawk

Reaction score
I am sorry but RW is tops to me,he is running a big boy offense where RG3 is running a college sometimes pro offense.

Rat

Reaction score
VHawk":2ppgtnb0 said:
I am sorry but RW is tops to me,he is running a big boy offense where RG3 is running a college sometimes pro offense.
I didn't realize Mike Shanahan ran a little league offense. And all this time I thought John Elway was legit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Rat":3dxqhz1w said:
VHawk":3dxqhz1w said:
I didn't realize Mike Shanahan ran a little league offense.

He sure is this year. Right thing to do with a rookie QB.

VHawk

Reaction score
Shanahan is running what RG3 is comfortable with.Dont get me wrong dude is a freak but I think RW has had to mature more as a pro QB.

VHawk

Reaction score
We have seen RW run the ball at will then he had to sit in the pocket then he would throw bombs and then dink and dunk,something new every week.None of these other QB's have matured like that.Just my opinion though.

Rat

Reaction score
VHawk":34091kb7 said:
Shanahan is running what RG3 is comfortable with.Dont get me wrong dude is a freak but I think RW has had to mature more as a pro QB.
I'll agree with that. Hard to argue that RW isn't more mature (as a player anyway, both are very mature as people) right now.

If people think Wilson is better than RG3, that's fine (although I don't agree), my issue is the recent myopic trashing of RG3 and the lazy comparisons to guys like Cam Newton and Michael Vick.

If the question is who do I want for the future between RG3 and Wilson, I take RG3. If you're asking RG3 with a first round pick, plus all the picks the Redskins traded to get him, vs Wilson for a 3rd round pick. That's where I'll take Wilson.

That's not to say I think the Redskins made a mistake in moving up to get him. In a few years, I think we're all going to be very happy that the Rams traded down from the #2 pick.

VHawk

Reaction score
Cant blame the Redskins for getting a franchise QB,it worked for the Giant when they gave up all those picks for Eli.Thank goodness we didnt have to sell the farm.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
In no way is Shanahan running the same offense now as he did with Elway. Not even close.

pehawk

Reaction score
No way is RG3 this years Cam. That's just lazy, IMO.

I was thinking how odd it is that every fanbase would most likely keep their rookie QB. Maybe not Cleveland, but he's not too terrible.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I know this is looking way WAY ahead and a little ridiculous at this point and time, but is it possible 3 Hall of Fame QB's come out of this class?

People will call me crazy but I see that potential in Luck and Wilson. And in RG3 IF he can stay healthy, which in my opinion is a huge IF. I think all 3 are students of the game, smart enough, athletic enough, and have the drive to continually get better. Griffin needs to get smarter in how and when he uses his body if he wants to last though, imo.

Happy

Reaction score
Re: RG3

Almost seems like shanny is pulling a herm edwards and riding his best offensive player into the ground trying to hang on to his job. The way they're using him right now RG3 won't last very long.

VHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2dyk4psn said:
I know this is looking way WAY ahead and a little ridiculous at this point and time, but is it possible 3 Hall of Fame QB's come out of this class?

People will call me crazy but I see that potential in Luck and Wilson. And in RG3 IF he can stay healthy, which in my opinion is a huge IF. I think all 3 are students of the game, smart enough, athletic enough, and have the drive to continually get better. Griffin needs to get smarter in how and when he uses his body if he wants to last though, imo.

I can totally see it all these guys are really that good.Great draft class no doubt.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1gmcyzar said:
Rat":1gmcyzar said:
VHawk":1gmcyzar said:
I didn't realize Mike Shanahan ran a little league offense.

He sure is this year. Right thing to do with a rookie QB.

Well, a rookie qb with a background running a spread offense in college.

The other side of it is the Pete Carroll/Russell Wilson way. Run a pure pro-offense, yet introduce more challenging playcalls and ask more from your rookie as he adjusts and adapts to the NFL. I think much quicker progress than the way Shanahan is doing it.

I can see the benefit of both. I could also see Carroll's way only being successful, record-wise, the way he set his team up for Wilson, knowing he had some pro-offense background; strong defense, strong running game & O line, and decent receiving threats.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
When it is all said and done Wilson will have the most rings and will be looked at as the #1 qb in this class.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think Russell Wilson has been superb. Much better than I anticipated. So this is in no way a knock on Russell Wilson, but I still have him 4th in the class. I have watched all five rookies quite extensively. I've got a bit of a rookie QB fetish, and watch a couple of them and Locker play at once on most Sundays. One on TV, one on my laptop, and one on my Ipad.

Andrew Luck is the real deal. I wasn't sure that he would be, but he completely is.

RGIII is the real deal. It is easy to see that his team is 3-6 and dismiss him, but he has played much smarter than I would have thought. I have zero doubt that if he can stay healthy, he is going to be in the playoffs more often than not throughout his career. Incredibly talented, and has the brains and throwing motion to go with it.

I've been completely blown away by Tannehill. For only playing the position for a few years, it is absolutely unreal how good he is. And absolutely fearless. Way more accurate than I thought. Way better command than I thought. He may have the most tools in the class. He just throws a gorgeous laser all over the field. As happy as I am with Wilson, I still think it would have been prudent to try to trade up to get Tannehill.

I wouldn't even dismiss Weeden. He's been really good for a rookie as well. Has zero cast, but has flashed brilliance a few times.

I know I'm going to hear it from the peanut gallery. I think Wilson is going to be fantastic. But I'd still trade him for one of the other three if given the chance, I just think they're going to be THAT good.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3j5nfbs2 said:
I would still take Andrew Luck if given the opportunity. But after watching them all for half a season Russell Wilson would be my 2nd choice.

If I could take any of them right now, I'd probably take Wilson. He's grown the fastest of the rookie QBs in terms of managing the pocket, making reads, and picking up the offense.

Statistical, Russell Wilson is now the very best QB (not just rookie QBs) in the NFL in home games, with a home passer rating that resembles 2011 Aaron Rodgers (120.2). He has a 9/0 TD/INT ratio at home. His stats on the road have tanked his numbers, but remember that includes a ton of fluke-type interceptions and drops, particularly in the divisional games. He's been a little lucky at home, but very unlucky on the road. He's also improved each month, posting a 73.5 rating in September, a 90.5 rating in October, and a 127.3 rating (one game) so far in November.

I've always thought Luck was a safe pick and a future pro-bowl QB. I also thought the whole Peyton Manning talk was just ridiculous over-hype. A much better comparison for Andrew Luck is Ben Roethlisberger- a big, accurate QB with solid mobility who can win games (and championships) without needing a ton of charisma. Eli Manning with more mobility is a decent comparison as well.

Russell Wilson is almost a clone of Fran Tarkenton.

[youtube]infHvuLe2LM[/youtube]

You'll see eery similarities, especially in regards to how Tarkenton would so often turn his back on pursuers to change directions. Tarkenton was the master of buying time to throw deep. Wilson can do that, but often chooses not to. He's like a smarter, more disciplined version. Tarkenton won six division titles and went to three Superbowls. It's often forgotten, but Tarkenton was the NFL's all time leader in passing yards and passing TDs the day that he retired.

I thought that Wilson looked more polished and more decisive against Minnesota than he looked in any game I scouted for him at Wisconsin. He might not be done improving yet either. You add to that his mobility and off the charts poise/character/leadership, and you have a QB with a scary high ceiling who looks pretty likely to reach it.

With RG3, I see Randall Cunningham with more injuries and more charisma. If he can find a happy medium where he can remain effective without exposing himself to injury, he could be the #1 QB out of this class. I think 10 years from now, Luck will probably rate behind those two, but will still be a no-doubter franchise QB, possibly with a Super Bowl ring.