whats flynns eventual value?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1vs51vu0 said:
Bipolar":1vs51vu0 said:
stop this nonsense. Flynn is a great backup QB and it makes absolutely no sense to trade him. depth is what wins championships, including at QB.

with the way Russell runs all over the field scrambling for first downs, we are literally one unlucky hit away from starting Flynn.

This is true for any NFL QB. Depth wins championships......true, but that is not true for the QB position. Backup QB's don't win championships...show me how many backup QBs that have come into play and have won Superbowl?

Staubach, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, and Tom Brady were all backups who supplanted starters at some point in the season and went on to win the superbowl. That's about what 1/6 of all Superbowl winning QB's?

There are also many who were backups that led teams to the Superbowl but didn't win.

I remember clearly the years Plunkett took over for Pastorini/Wilson, Doug Williams took over for Jay Schroeder, Trent Dilfer took over for Tony Banks, and Tom Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe. Those all took place at varying times in the season. With Williams it was for the playoffs basically only. Hostetler took over for Simms very late in the season as well. Brady took over early for Bledsoe (about a quarter of the way in). Dilfer took over for Banks after a couple of weeks, as Banks wasn't performing and they needed somebody to just manage the game and not a guy who would try to force things and created turnovers like Banks did. Plunkett was stuck in the Al Davis revolving wheel of QB's. Jay Schroeder lost the confidence of his teammates and coach and kept coming out with injuries. Gibbs finally said "enough" and just put Williams in and decided to just run with it for better or worse.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
It will all depend on how desperate a team is at the time he is put on the block. I saw on one of the Vike boards last night that at least one fan is calling for Ziggy to go after Flynn. To me Minny would be the team that would most benefit from Flynn because of his knowledge of Green Bay's offense. But really, who knows.

Bipolar

Reaction score
OK but think of someone like TJ Yates playing for Texans last year. a freaking 3rd string QB, a rookie, starts playing and dominates games, including in playoffs. yes, they lost the division game against Ravens, but it is still pretty good in my books.

we need someone reliable like that, who can just step in and play lights out... Flynn is exactly this type of guy.
yes, we paid him too much, in hindsight. but what if RW didn't pan out? the odds were against him, in all conventional wisdom!
and if we didn't get Flynn, we would have been forced to draft some mediocre QB in the middle of the 1st round, Weeden or Osweiler.

so it is really up to the front office to re-negotiate Flynn's contract during the offseason. his stock isn't worth much these days, so I doubt he will have much leverage. nobody in NFL is going to pay him millions of dollars to sit on the bench. trading him to another team for peanuts would be just plain stupid.

SeahawkGeoff

Reaction score
Bipolar":34d45yt9 said:
OK but think of someone like TJ Yates playing for Texans last year. a freaking 3rd string QB, a rookie, starts playing and dominates games, including in playoffs. yes, they lost the division game against Ravens, but it is still pretty good in my books.

we need someone reliable like that, who can just step in and play lights out... Flynn is exactly this type of guy.
yes, we paid him too much, in hindsight. but what if RW didn't pan out? the odds were against him, in all conventional wisdom!
and if we didn't get Flynn, we would have been forced to draft some mediocre QB in the middle of the 1st round, Weeden or Osweiler.

so it is really up to the front office to re-negotiate Flynn's contract during the offseason. his stock isn't worth much these days, so I doubt he will have much leverage. nobody in NFL is going to pay him millions of dollars to sit on the bench. trading him to another team for peanuts would be just plain stupid.

If we didn't get Flynn in the off season we'd still have Tjack as are back up. I think Flynn Stays. The contract he signed isn't awful it just seems that way now because of RW. We have two starting QB for the price of what many teams pay one. In terms of getting something for him I don't see it being great maybe a 5th with the possibility of it being higher based on Flynn performance. Then they have to find and sign a back up and still pay him a decent amount, why do that.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The Radish":16rnde6r said:
By the way, I would suggest to the Seahawks they offer him a new contract after next year. One thing we don't want is a player to be pissed and leave over a lack of respect. While I don't see Wilson being that way like Hutch was I do think Wilson might feel differently if he continues to have success here.

Under the rules of the new CBA, the Seahawks cannot offer Wilson a second contract until after his third season with the team when the restrictions on the initial deal no longer apply (eg - Wilson gets an accelerator in his contract in year four for becoming a starter and playing a certain % of snaps). It's put complete control in the teams hands for 3/4 years for any player drafted outside of round one and it's even worse for R1 picks with teams holding an option for a 5th year on all contracts, essentially meaning teams get rookie value for 4/5 years.

After year four for first round picks and year three for everyone else, the power transfers to the player. Then they know they're either going to get the franchise tag, a big deal or hit free agency. But they have to wait to hold the cards.

hawker84

Reaction score
is flynn even going to want to stay and be a back up, or will he ask for a trade.. i get the feeling this guy feels he's a starting caliber qb and is going to want a chance to compete.... i could actually see it getting ugly...

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SharkHawk":34xgp0cw said:
T-Sizzle":34xgp0cw said:
Bipolar":34xgp0cw said:
stop this nonsense. Flynn is a great backup QB and it makes absolutely no sense to trade him. depth is what wins championships, including at QB.

with the way Russell runs all over the field scrambling for first downs, we are literally one unlucky hit away from starting Flynn.

This is true for any NFL QB. Depth wins championships......true, but that is not true for the QB position. Backup QB's don't win championships...show me how many backup QBs that have come into play and have won Superbowl?

Staubach, Bradshaw, Plunkett, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, and Tom Brady were all backups who supplanted starters at some point in the season and went on to win the superbowl. That's about what 1/6 of all Superbowl winning QB's?

There are also many who were backups that led teams to the Superbowl but didn't win.

I remember clearly the years Plunkett took over for Pastorini/Wilson, Doug Williams took over for Jay Schroeder, Trent Dilfer took over for Tony Banks, and Tom Brady took over for Drew Bledsoe. Those all took place at varying times in the season. With Williams it was for the playoffs basically only. Hostetler took over for Simms very late in the season as well. Brady took over early for Bledsoe (about a quarter of the way in). Dilfer took over for Banks after a couple of weeks, as Banks wasn't performing and they needed somebody to just manage the game and not a guy who would try to force things and created turnovers like Banks did. Plunkett was stuck in the Al Davis revolving wheel of QB's. Jay Schroeder lost the confidence of his teammates and coach and kept coming out with injuries. Gibbs finally said "enough" and just put Williams in and decided to just run with it for better or worse.

I will give you Williams, Hostetler .... maybe Dilfer..... but stop it with the Brady, Bradshaw, or Staubach. The other thing you may notice is in the modern day NFL where QB plays a huge role its not happening. :141847_bnono:

Matt Flynn has started 2 games, I would prefer to take the gamble he won't be one of those 1/7 backup (if that, personally I don't accept all your QBs) who won't win the SB and allocate that money to someone who will see the field.

:les: If you want to over pay a backup QB lets bring one in with actual experience. :les:

:th2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":1nmn94k6 said:
is flynn even going to want to stay and be a back up, or will he ask for a trade.. i get the feeling this guy feels he's a starting caliber qb and is going to want a chance to compete.... i could actually see it getting ugly...

There's really no DEMANDING trades in the NFL for a backup QB. Players who demand trades are star players that if they sit out will seriously hurt their team. That's not the case with Flynn, he has zero leverage.

Nor do I think Flynn is the kind of player that would do that. Besides, he's making starter money for holding a clipboard. If anything, it'd be the Hawks that initiate a trade.........which I could see happening in the offseason if they can secure a veteran backup for cheap.

kearly

Reaction score
Unless we get a great offer, I'd like to Seattle hold onto Flynn. I firmly believe that Wilson is on a future HoF trajectory, but he's also 206 pounds and mobile. That kind of profile misses a lot of games from injury. We've been lucky so far that he has avoided notable injury. Granted, Wilson is really smart about how he takes contact and that helps tremendously. Still, imagine if we had a legit Superbowl run derailed because we had to switch to Josh Portis or a 7th round rookie next season? I could very easily see that happening. A 6th/7th round pick is nowhere near enough for Flynn to be worth it. The only way I'd sign off on a trade like that is if Portis makes huge strides or if Seattle drafts another Russell Wilson type steal in 2013.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think its possible because Matt may ask, and the teams showed class in ushering uneeded talent in a respectful manner.

Heard on the radio that Portis, not Flynn, is Wilsons study partner. Thats says a lil.

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
How about...

Seattle receives Tebow and a 3rd

Jets Flynn Flynn Flynn

OP
OP
skater18000

skater18000

Reaction score
Who is the speaker...

We brought in Tim to compete for a quarterback spot on the roster we think Tim can give us simaler attributes to what russell gives us we want a quarterback that can do a variety of things for us much like Russell and if anything happens to Russel we won't lose anything blah blah blah...

HawkWow

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":9iaxi8tp said:
Tech Worlds":9iaxi8tp said:
peachesenregalia":9iaxi8tp said:
Skater, no team will give up more than a 4th for him. He's proved nothing in a real NFL setting, except that he couldn't beat out a 3rd round 5'10" rookie, when he was all but a lock for the starting job after getting paid in FA. If some team is willing to do something like we did for Whitehurst, then our FO better jump all over it.

Why do people keep saying this?

Yeh he was beat out by a 5'10", 3rd round rookie. Big deal! That rookie is showing everyone why he won the job!

It isn't like Flynn is some scubb. He just didn't beat out a guy who looks to finally be the franchise QB we have been looking for the last upteen years.

I'm more alluding to league perception, Dom. WE know that Wilson is just that good, but around the league, they're going to see a player who was given decent money to come in and be the starter, and couldn't perform well enough to beat out a 3rd round rookie in preseason. It will diminish his perceived value.
i
Surely you're not suggesting we in this forum, know more about the Wilson/Flynn situation, than the various execs, coaches and scouts from around the league. There are no secrets at this level, my FZ lovin' brutha.

...and what did the Raiders give for Carson Palmer? I would decscribe Palmer at that point as being washed up, but that would suggest he was ever worth a damn to begin with. I would take Flynn over Palmer in a second. QBs in this league are not in abundance like RBs or WRs etc. They are worth whatever you can get for them and that can vary dramatically with any given time. Who remembers us getting 2 1s from the Bears for Rick Mirer? Mirer was no better than Flynn. Many of you will argue that Flynn is unproven. OK, Mirer and Palmer were proven...to be shit. In conclusion, as a few rational people have suggested, we need to get over this move Flynn thing. Don't be afraid of success, Hawk fans.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1noei35o said:
PlinytheCenter":1noei35o said:
Why are we even talking about this?? Can't we for just once have a relatively stable quarterback roster?

I'm with him. If we can work the money, we gotta. We have been very lucky so far, Wilson is a very mobile guy and takes off. His a great slider, but I don't line the idea of a ruined season if he gets hurt.

with them.

personally, I have a feeling flynn goes to another ( and plays well, he's a good qb), but I wouldn't mind retaining.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Trade Flynn for Tebow, then turn to JAX and trade Tebow to Jax for 1st rounders for the next 10 years.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am reasonably convinced that Flynn will be gone from Seattle some time next off season. First, he is disgruntled with his role. No, I don't have a source, but it is just plain to see. Second, his salary will be a vital part of extending some of the players from our first Pete and John draft. Third, the Raiders staff has ties to Flynn, and Palmer has crapped the bed in Oakland, leaving a nice trade partner in desperate straights. There are other teams too that will not be able to fill team needs in the draft, but for a variety of reasons did not pursue Flynn last year. Buffalo was dollar tied to Fitz, the Cards were hot for Peyton and also dollar tied to Kolb, with a hot prospect at backup, Minnesota and the Jags were still all in on rookies.

There will be plenty of suitors for Flynn, which is where his real market value will come from. A second would not surprise me at all. Especially since we already ate most of his signing bonus.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What's the more important question is... what is Flynn's current value to the Seahawks

IMO, he is a very good insurance policy for which you've essentially already paid most of the premiums.

The Hawks will/should keep him until they have a better alternative.