My Dad's last game

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I've been there. I feel even today what you're feeling now. Do what you have to do to get through. Rely on those that you know you can rely on and let it out when you need to. It's been 4 years since I lost my dad and I still miss him every single day. Our fathers make us the men we are, and I'm always grateful to my dad for his influence on my life.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Our prayers for you and your family. While I did not know your dad I can see by the comments here from others he was a stand up guy. The better the person the harder it is on the loved ones when they pass, your pain must be deep. My father has been gone 20 years now and to this day I remember all the big and little things he taught me and so shall you.

God's speed Hawkstorian and family.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I feel for you, John. Grief is a helluva thing to go through, and it tends to be a little worse when the loss is sudden.

However, like you, I believe that many coincidences are more than mere coincidences, that many show signs of divine intervention or manipulation. And as an ardent Seahawks fan, I can think of few ways to go that would be better than watching the Seahawks win a game while in the company of those I love. I never met your dad, but I think it is entirely possible that this is the way he would have chosen to depart this earth if given the choice.

I hope you can find some comfort in this.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
My condolences. I didn't want to read the first post, because I knew it'd be heartbreaking. Hope everything is going well.

kidhawk

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your loss John. My condolences to you and your entire family.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
My condolences. Sorry to hear about your and your family's loss. I'm glad he was able to spend his last few moments with you and your family.

heffmanhere

Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, John.

Cherish the many wonderful memories you`ve got and it sounds like you've got too many to count which says everything about your dad.

One day at a time...

Riley12

Reaction score
Crap!

I wasn't going to, but then I teared up reading your post. I wish you and your family well.

I want the Seahawks to get on the ball and make a permanent memorial to the fans who've passed
through the years - a big, huge plaque where all of our names can one day join your dad's and help
put our brief time here, and the necessity of living life to the fullest, into perspective.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
My thoughts are with you and your family, John. Your dad sounds like a great guy. I can only imagine myself in your shoes, and realize just what you must be going through. It's touching to read that you and your brothers were all at his side.

I have a similar relationship with my father. Sports being our common bond as long as I can remember. Going to Seahawks, Sonics, Mariners, and Husky games. Talking about them on the phone when there's not a ton otherwise to talk about. Most phone calls start off with "How are you doing?" followed up with discussing the most recent game or big sports related story in the news. Most of my great childhood memories that included just myself and my dad always seem to be centered around sports. Be it going to games or playing at the park. I'm sure my dad and I would still have a good relationship without sports to bond around, but I know it wouldn't be the same.

I hope everyone reading this thread who still has loved ones around takes a moment to think about it. Far too often in life, we don't appreciate the people in our lives until it's too late. Again, my heart and thoughts go out to you, John. Losing a loved one is never easy. But to lose something means you had something in the first place. And reading your post, you and your family truly had a special bond.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
My sincerest condolences to you and yours good sir, not sure we've ever talked personally but your recognisable from your presence on these forums and enlightened opinions. Very sorry for your loss.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
SeaTown81":hq6p6gmy said:
My thoughts are with you and your family, John. Your dad sounds like a great guy. I can only imagine myself in your shoes, and realize just what you must be going through. It's touching to read that you and your brothers were all at his side.

I have a similar relationship with my father. Sports being our common bond as long as I can remember. Going to Seahawks, Sonics, Mariners, and Husky games. Talking about them on the phone when there's not a ton otherwise to talk about. Most phone calls start off with "How are you doing?" followed up with discussing the most recent game or big sports related story in the news. Most of my great childhood memories that included just myself and my dad always seem to be centered around sports. Be it going to games or playing at the park. I'm sure my dad and I would still have a good relationship without sports to bond around, but I know it wouldn't be the same.

I hope everyone reading this thread who still has loved ones around takes a moment to think about it. Far too often in life, we don't appreciate the people in our lives until it's too late. Again, my heart and thoughts go out to you, John. Losing a loved one is never easy. But to lose something means you had something in the first place. And reading your post, you and your family truly had a special bond.

Well said. I almost lost my Dad last year - I was on deployment off the coast of Africa and flew 24 hours (Djibouti-Ethiopia-Kenya-France-Miami-Norfolk-Washington DC-Portland, OR) home to see him. Thankfully, it wasn't his time. I'm extremely close with my old man (as well as my Mom and siblings) and dread the reality of losing them.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Me and my dad have been long time hawks fans and this year we bought our first season ticket package. Well I lost him right before the first game. It's not easy losing someone that close to us. But as some one who just lost his father from one son to another sorry buddy. The next day get easier but never the same.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread... because losing Les reminds me a lot of losing my dad a couple of years ago.

We're never ready for people we truly love to move on, and yet it is always inevitable. One of the true hardships of life.

And yet .. if we truly had those we love forever, would we really appreciate them? Aren't the relationships we have wonderful in part because deep down we know they have a beginning, middle and end? Joy and Sadness are part of the same embrace.

However, some of us believe endings are just beginnings to something even greater.....

I haven't posted for several months until Les' death. My time a .NET as a regular poster had to come to an end, and I chose that time earlier this year. I really couldn't bring myself to enter that "final" post after 14 years of daily banter. However, I think Les, especially, would want me to let you all know that it's been a truly special part of my life that I spent with many of you.

Be good to each other.

John AKA "The Hawkstorian"

drdiags

Reaction score
Nice thoughts John. Glad to know that you and Mark will be among those that will make it to the memorial for Les.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss, 'Storian. I'm sending all of the Seahawk positivity I have to you and your family, as well as Radish's clan.