Two to replace next offseason: Leon and Breno

Atradees

Reaction score
Don't rid of em till we get someone we know is better.

Turbin's play has really been the change in the RB core. Leon laid out Eric berry in the preseason for Wilson. That was a good play.

I did see Breno dominate a play two this last game.....or was i IMAGINING THAT.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Breno is going to be here for a while. Penalties aside, he's the best RT we've had in several years. Let us not forget guys like Kyle Williams or Sean Locklear. Breno is replaceable, but not a player that is easy to replace. I do expect that Seattle will draft a tackle prospect somewhere in the draft: if nothing else because this team lacks competition there. But for 2013 and 2014 I expect him to continue starting. And really, it's not such a bad thing. He's had some tough games, but he's had some dominant looking games too.

Leon Washington started the year strong, but has slumped lately. The team should begin their search for his replacement this offseason, and if they don't find one I'd be fine with giving Leon one more year. But if we get a guy like Tavon Austin, I'd probably let Leon go and see what Austin can offer right away. To be fair, Leon could just be in a slump right now. I haven't seen any massive red flags yet that suggest his speed is gone.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I think both are playing quite well, Breno has checked his fire a bit as of late and Leon is still a bad man......sure it might me time to look at the next guy (via he draft) in line but neither warrants a top pick to replace immediately. We got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Largent80":2d55rcog said:
I hate BG's penalties, but to his credit he has limited them in the last few games, and as was pointed out earlier, he will more than likely get better.

Leon gives that dimension of the possibility of a big play every time he touches the ball.

Bottom line is I like both of them.

Wide receiver is the top priority in my estimation.

I endorse this post yet would like to add, pass rusher ( insurance for Irvin or if #91 gets injured)

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Breno is not the sole problem of our offensive line woes. He's been very solid given the expectations of that position and who was drafted to fill it. Our whole line needs more work, but they have been improving each week. For example, on that touchdown pass to Rice, Moffit got beat badly by the DT which caused Wilson to bail to his right. Wilson found his lane and fired it down the middle to Rice, TD! Point is, every linemen gets beat once in awhile. To call for Brenos replacement this soon is just silly.

CANHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1ob91vu0 said:
I think Breno is going to be here for a while. Penalties aside, he's the best RT we've had in several years. Let us not forget guys like Kyle Williams or Sean Locklear. Breno is replaceable, but not a player that is easy to replace. I do expect that Seattle will draft a tackle prospect somewhere in the draft: if nothing else because this team lacks competition there. But for 2013 and 2014 I expect him to continue starting. And really, it's not such a bad thing. He's had some tough games, but he's had some dominant looking games too.

Leon Washington started the year strong, but has slumped lately. The team should begin their search for his replacement this offseason, and if they don't find one I'd be fine with giving Leon one more year. But if we get a guy like Tavon Austin, I'd probably let Leon go and see what Austin can offer right away. To be fair, Leon could just be in a slump right now. I haven't seen any massive red flags yet that suggest his speed is gone.

Yep. Those two are both pretty serviceable guys and are far from the liabilities the op would make them out to be, but there is definately room to improve at their spots as well. Draft guys to come in and compete if guys who can compete are available when we pick, but don't go into the draft hellbent on replacing Breno and Leon. That's where busts and flops come from...

I'm actually really looking forward to this draft. It's feasibly the first time in a long time where we don't have any glaring needs and can straight up go BPA! And I actually trust that John Schneider will actually TAKE the best player avaialble. :)

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawksFTW":1iekvb5k said:
Get rid of Leon or Breno? Are you crazy?

If I were PC/JS I would only replace them if it were truly an upgrade. I like Breno's hustle and attitude more than the penalti hes called for. He brings a definate edge to our line thats for sure. I think Leon Washington doesn't appear the same this year I agree. Maybe he's trying too hard to make something happen, which sometimes makes things worse.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Two positions I'd rather we updrade is Leroy Hill and Anthony McCoy.

If we had a playmaking TE and a more another linebacker who was versatile enough to play the run well and provide a bit of 3rd down pass rushing when needed we'd be improved much more than replacing Breno and Leon.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
SoCalHawk":t10zxds6 said:
Leon Washington is on his way out. Washed up. He has had plenty of chances, and in this NFL era where good teams have electric kick returners he doesn't cut it anymore. Sure, he has been stellar throughout his career, but he is about done. We need to draft that young KR stud, or identify him on the roster, and plan for the future.

I will never buy that Breno Giacomini is a starting caliber RT. He is responsible for the majority of negative runs by Lynch, and how many more times can we watch him get bull rushed and stumble his way directly back toward Wilson? He has no strength, very little technique, and his nastiness costs us in penalties. He has consistently looked like a turnstile over the course of the season. Against good rushers you almost feel bad for him, the way he gets tossed back. Its disgusting to watch and I hope we address it.

I believe that addressing these two spots, in addition to WR, we will be in great shape.

Been kind of hoping we draft Jake Matthews from A&M for the right tackle issue in the first round. Second round i think Tavon Austin could possibly slip there. He would be an electrifying player out of the slot and for kick and punt returns.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
joeshaney":3b2em4rf said:
Two positions I'd rather we updrade is Leroy Hill and Anthony McCoy.

If we had a playmaking TE and a more another linebacker who was versatile enough to play the run well and provide a bit of 3rd down pass rushing when needed we'd be improved much more than replacing Breno and Leon.

If we did have a shot at getting Alec Ogletree i would love our FO if they pulled the trigger on him. Used to be a saftey and is now an OLB. So he has the coverage skills along with the explosiveness and athletic ability you get from someone who used to roam the back end. I just see that kid going in the top 10 top 15 latest. So i don't think we will get that chance.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Breno is obnoxious with his penalties, Leon should never leave, he's too good, don't know what you're smoking there.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm not saying Breno sucks, but he's the most replaceable player on the offense, outside of WR.

he has problems with speed rushers, causing him to hold. He is a dominant run blocker, but he's in the top 5 for most penalized OLmen in the game. Look at the posts in this thread. We have comparisons to how good he is in regards to our last few RT's, which isn't a ringing endorsement at all. Then you get people calling him "servicable" and "dominant at times" and no one disregards all the penalties.

That seriously sounds like someone we can't upgrade ? If he gets replaced, maybe he is the good depth, and gets pissed and fired up, and maybe gets his job back by playing even better, which is still improvement either way.

We badly need WR depth, top end WR talent (can address both problems with 1 pick, sweet !) and top end LB talent. I'm not thrilled with our depth behind Hill, and he's degrading down to average talent now. We can still afford to go BPA in the 1st three rounds with 3 tech DT, RT, interior OL, WR and LB. If we trade Flynn, or just let him go, we may need a backup Qb.

BASF

Reaction score
kearly":3pnltzaq said:

If we wait until next offseason, I believe Ace Sanders can be had in the fifth or sixth round and I love the kid as a kick and punt returner.

renofox

Reaction score
Letting go of Breno would be a huge mistake. He has shown flashes of excellence and he is still learning/growing. Penalties are improving (besides, 2 of his early roughness penalties were bad calls for legitimate contact BEFORE the whistle had blown).

At the least he is a good (and versatile) backup. At the best - see Kevin Mawae (a mistake which should not be repeated).

Leon has a few bad games as a returner and people are calling for his job. Seriously? He's been one of the top returners in the league the past few years - a few bad games doesn't mean he's lost his abilities.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
Hmm i think breno is fine.. i think leon is fine HOWEVER!!!!
If we can get an explosive wide out/returner i think that would be an upgrade, we get barely any synergy with leon right now he is a one trick pony and most of the time they are putting it in the end zone on kick offs.. so that means we only get him 50% of the time. (Punts)

I would prefere a DE, or Linebacker first though.

ohhh and that highschool kicker that hit the 67 yard field goal.
;)

BWRyan

Reaction score
I'm not stressed to replace either.

KR as you say is not a big position in need, we already have a back up RB who does a great job in catching the ball out of the outfield in Turbin, so why waste a pick replacing Leon? I also don't think his skills have diminished that much, it's just the new kickoff rules are minimizing that aspect of special teams.

With Breno -- I will admit, if you asked me a few weeks ago I would have agreed. But his penalties have been under control as of late, and without studying the tape I just know that we've been running and pass blocking effectively the last few games, and Breno hasn't stuck out as being someone underperforming.

What I like going into next year's draft is that with the exception of WR (where I still think we need a deep, downfield threat) we really don't have any desperate position of need. So that means Schneider can do what he does best -- take whatever guy he falls in love with to fit out schemes. If that's a RT, then cool.

bigcc

Reaction score
Leon is 7th in kick return average, and 13th in PR average

Explain to me how that makes him someone to replace?

As for Breno, I do think we need to draft a replacement either this year or the next..... but to ride the pine and learn our system while Breno holds the spot for a couple more

IMO a 2nd TE and another outside WR are what we need..... while Tate is stepping up, I like him subbing in for Rice/X receiver and in on 4 WR sets more than starting for us

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
An OLB to replace Leroy, a deep-threat WR, another TE (who is a legitimate receiving threat)...better depth at DT

themunn

Reaction score
bigcc":29kyaiz8 said:
Leon is 7th in kick return average, and 13th in PR average

Explain to me how that makes him someone to replace?

As for Breno, I do think we need to draft a replacement either this year or the next..... but to ride the pine and learn our system while Breno holds the spot for a couple more

IMO a 2nd TE and another outside WR are what we need..... while Tate is stepping up, I like him subbing in for Rice/X receiver and in on 4 WR sets more than starting for us

Quite simply he's declining with age, it's realistic to assume that he'll fail to break the top 10 next season, and we should never be happy with a player who is "middle-of-the-road". I want a RB who tops the league in yards, a QB with the highest rating at the end of the season, WRs with more TDs than anyone else, corners with more INTS than anyone else, D-Linemen with more sacks than anyone else etc...
why would I be happy with a returner outside the top 10?

The Radish

Reaction score
I like Breno for a couple of reasons. The time Pete benched him for a couple of series, the look on his face was of someone that wanted to be a part of the team and was dieing being out of the lineup.

His actions drastically improved from that moment on.

I am really impressed that our offensive line has done as well as it has because again we haven't had the same line together very much again this season. They should get nothing but better over the next couple of seasons the more they play together.

And I say again to many here, offensive lines can not be "instantly" improved merely by plugging in new/different players. Other than the standard which we see a lot of here, it takes a long time to get to know each other. This has been true since the beginning of the NFL.

:roll: