If Seattle did invest in a WR, who would he replace?

Which starting WR would you bench (or release) so that the new guy could start?

• Sidney Rice

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Golden Tate

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Doug Baldwin

Votes: 68 72.3%

• Total voters

Smoke

Reaction score
We need a fast guy. We lack elite speed at WR. If we could get a guy who can Burn up and down the field at the #1 spot, we would get a lot better production out of Rice.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Add to and let them compete. I am not for bringing in a big free agent. It just seems like it is so 50/50 when you do that. If we are bringing in a Dwayne Bowe for a 4th or 5th, fine, but only because it seems it is easy to pick up extra picks in that range. However, I don't want to bring in Bowe because he is going to want a big payday.

Draft is the only way to go, imo. I'm fine with the guys we have, I just want to add to them. A guy like Marquise Lee (however you spell it) from USC is the kind of guy that we need. Somebody they have to account for athletically and double or take their chances. It will open up the field.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":fgmhj5ze said:
We have two real offensive needs: a really good TE, and and elusive player with silly speed at any of the 3 skill positions. If that is a WR, then so be it, we will run more 3 WR sets. We have silly speed with Turbin already, but with Lynch, Turbo is just not going to be on the field that much. Unless Bevell starts designing some two RB sets, which would be a good idea.

I knew there was a reason I get "future seahawk" vibes from Tavon Austin. You are right, this offense needs a slick speedster. My preference would still be for Wes Welker though. I don't even care that he's 32 next season. It will take him a few years still to lose that speed, and when he does he'll still be useful ala Brandon Stokely. The Patriots wouldn't let him hit UFA would they? Would they?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":3ssz79h0 said:
Scottemojo":3ssz79h0 said:
We have two real offensive needs: a really good TE, and and elusive player with silly speed at any of the 3 skill positions. If that is a WR, then so be it, we will run more 3 WR sets. We have silly speed with Turbin already, but with Lynch, Turbo is just not going to be on the field that much. Unless Bevell starts designing some two RB sets, which would be a good idea.

I knew there was a reason I get "future seahawk" vibes from Tavon Austin. You are right, this offense needs a slick speedster. My preference would still be for Wes Welker though. I don't even care that he's 32 next season. It will take him a few years still to lose that speed, and when he does he'll still be useful ala Brandon Stokely. The Patriots wouldn't let him hit UFA would they? Would they?

If they do, I hope we stay far, far away from Welker. When's the last time the Patriots released an older player while he was still playing at a high to very high level?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Give me Tavon Austin in this years draft and Colt Lyerla in next years draft. (although i'd take Seffarian Jenkins too, but I think Lyerla will be a more dynamic pro). I think Lyerla is going to be a much better blocking version of Jimmy Graham, and Seffarian Jenkins is going to be Tony Gonzales, so you cant really go wrong with either one.

I'd also take Kenjon Barner to replace Leon Washington.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":w7h34xhx said:
If they do, I hope we stay far, far away from Welker. When's the last time the Patriots released an older player while he was still playing at a high to very high level?

Lawyer Milloy had a few good years left after New England parted ways. Richard Seymour did too, although he cost Oakland a 1st so I don't know if that counts.

Welker is 32 next May and presumably looking for a long term deal. He also looks nowhere close to declining yet. But the fear factor about his age could make things interesting. Personally, I'd throw a 5 year deal his way without blinking. Speedy players age more gracefully, and Welker is more than a fast player, he's an outstanding possession receiver too. And it's not like we have to keep him all 5 years if he starts sucking. If he produces for just two or three years like he is now, and then has two or three years of Brandon Stokely plus, he could justify $20 million guaranteed pretty easily. I like Welker because he is an upper tier WR that might become a market inefficiency. If Welker was 28 with his current track record, he'd never hit FA at all and would cost more than a 1st rounder to acquire. But as is, he might be under-rated because of his age and available for nothing more a Desean Jackson type contract.

AgentDib":w7h34xhx said:
Depth with high upside is the best of both worlds, and rookies are inexpensive these days. We can draft a promising WR in the mid-first round for $2 million/year. Every player we draft is going to be competing with current Seahawks for a job, and I don't understand why are posters here so protective of our receiver group in particular.

Good thinking. A mid round player would actually be much cheaper than that. Salary for a 4th rounder is around 500k a season. Even mid-2nd round picks only make about $1 million per year. I think an ideal situation would be snagging someone like Tavon Austin in round 2 for a bargain contract.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
oh god ....please no Welker. There is a reason the Pats are going to let him walk.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3jqud3in said:
I don't know, I think Woods is coasting off his 2011 season. He really hasn't been that impressive this year, IMO.

REC YDS TD AVG LONG
59 656 10 11.1 41
Thats his numbers so far through nine, your right its a come down, but could be just enough of one to allow him to slip to us.

Thats alright for a coasting year I suppose, also hes more likely to fall to us in the late first then say Keenan Allen who's mocked to go higher. Though Tavon Austin in the second round would be nice instead, that'd allow us to go DT or TE (dare I hope for Tyler Eifert) in the 1st.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3h4gtmwt said:
kearly":3h4gtmwt said:
Scottemojo":3h4gtmwt said:

You act as if New England releasing him suddenly MAKES him bad. He's an awesome player who makes a LOT of catches. Guy burned ET deep. Not many WR's can make that claim.

aku

Reaction score
Assuming everyone were healthy, I think we'd drop Tate from the starting list. While he's a fantastic playmaker with the ball in his hands, I think Baldwin is still a better all-day every-day slot option when he's healthy. I think we might be able to get Tate's current level of production by bringing him in off the bench to run the screens and other stuff that he's really good at.

Really, though, I'm not sure anyone needs to be replaced. Tate seems to be getting better at route running, and I think he might end up being a legitimate #2 receiver by the end of the season. But I'd still like to see another WR drafted and added to our stable. Right now we have no serious competition for Tate. Edwards, Obomanu, and Martin won't likely be on the team two years from now. Kearse could maybe step up, but we'd be foolish to count on it. Realistically, we need to increase the amount of talent at the position.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I think I'd like to get a #1 or #1-2 WR and move Tate to the slot, and let him compete with Baldwin. All around depth would be improved quite a bit.

Rice is a true starting WR, whether he is #1 or #2 I keep him at least another year since we look pretty good in terms of cap room next year. Remember, he's only 14 months older than Bruce Irvin, so he could finish his contract right at his prime, unlike most big free agent signings. Injuries worry me, but that's it.

Tate is coming around this year, but he still isn't the kind of starting WR coaches go to bed dreaming of. IMO, his skillset is more suited to the imagined Tavon Austin role than a normal starting WR. Not as fast, but similar RAC capability since Tate can run through contact, and Tate's ability to fight for the ball makes him a good vertical threat.

Baldwin is having a truly disappointing season, with his drops being more memorable than his catches. There's always the chance that 2011 was the aberration. I tend to believe that Baldwin will be a great slot guy for us for next year, but even if true, the way he gets up after a tackle, it seems like 1 hit could do him in.

IMO, if we picked up a starting WR, I let Tate and Baldwin fight it out in the slot, with the idea being that we need depth anyways and Tate would be worked in for certain packages no matter what happens.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1k4bo3rh said:
oh god ....please no Welker. There is a reason the Pats are going to let him walk.

He's expensive?

Welker is too good to flop. I'd be thrilled with him or Mike Wallace.

Like Tavon Austin a lot too.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I get another fast receiver in the second round, probably a tight end, and keep Rice, Baldwin, AND Tate. The latter two would be absolutely unhinged playing underneath the umbrella of Rice and a real deep threat. Yes, it's gonna require some budget creativity, but Baldwin is bloody cheap and Rice and Tate really aren't impossible to work around financially. How much is a defense-styming, impossible-to-defend-everyone, utterly wide-open offense worth to you?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":6etics5b said:
kearly":6etics5b said:
Scottemojo":6etics5b said:

You have the Belichick fear too?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1clin8lj said:
I get another fast receiver in the second round, probably a tight end, and keep Rice, Baldwin, AND Tate. The latter two would be absolutely unhinged playing underneath the umbrella of Rice and a real deep threat. Yes, it's gonna require some budget creativity, but Baldwin is bloody cheap and Rice and Tate really aren't impossible to work around financially. How much is a defense-styming, impossible-to-defend-everyone, utterly wide-open offense worth to you?

Baldwin is a good player, but one thing the last two seasons has shown, he can't take the NFL abuse. Last year a couple of injuries, this year at least three, a pattern is developing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For all of you touting Welker: Beware the receiver coming from a team with an all world QB.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'd like to see a wide out on the field that safeties constantly have to know where he is and that means true burner speed.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Scottemojo":16jbx7rh said:
Sarlacc83":16jbx7rh said:
kearly":16jbx7rh said:

You have the Belichick fear too?

You know it. And no offense to kearly, but Lawyer Milloy doesn't inspire much confidence when the Patriots released Randy Moss a couple seasons after he set an NFL record, ya know?

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I just love reading posts that state we need to go get a #1 WR and maybe a speed guy, etc, like you are going to the store to fill out a shopping list. It's not that easy to just go out and get a guy to fill a hole. IMHO, WR might be one of the hardest positions to fill. It is one of those positions that rarely sees a guy play well, let alone dominate in his 1st year. I am one that believes there is a need for another WR. Could the position be upgraded? Hell yes! Will it be easy? Who knows? A highly touted WR could be drafted in the 1st round. High draft status does not guarantee production or success. (See Aaron Curry). The only way a WR, drafted or FA replaces anyone already on the roster is if they earn it in camp and on the field. (see Russell Wilson).

Hawks46

Reaction score
Moss is actually a very good example to use for NE. He was very good, but even other players in the league (Revis) called him out for taking plays off that he knew weren't going his way. He's always had an attitude problem, and the Pats don't deal with that.

When they released him, he pouted. His lack of effort doing just about everything was obvious, and it took him being out of the league a year to clean his act up. There was nothing physically wrong with him, or him being "washed up", it was a poor worth ethic and lack of being a good team mate.

Welker is the opposite of that. He has a great attitude and work ethic. He dared to want one more good contract and Belichick tried to bench him, being the egomaniac that he is (ok, ok, he's earned his ego but he was wrong here). You noticed the Pats offense really suffered for it. He didn't start the first 3 games of the season, and he still is close to leading the league in receptions. He opens the deep stuff up by forcing teams to watch the underneath stuff, since Welker is quick and will break tackles.

Also look at the body type; he's way thicker and stockier than a Baldwin is. He's also way sturdier and has missed far less games. He can take the beating, but yet, you rarely ever get a good shot at Welker. You never see him really getting lit up, which is why that Browner hit was so special. I think Welker has still got gas in the tank, but you have to look at our offense, and our QB, and see if he would mesh with us. If so, I'd do it.

Latest posts