Bevell's use of Tate

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm
  • The one thing that befuddles me about Bevell is his inability to use Golden Tate's athleticism more. Similar to what Minnesota does with Percy Harvin. Of all the receivers on the team, I think Tate is the closest to that. I believe Tate can be really good in that role. Maybe not Percy Harvin good but still pretty good. We've seen glimpses of it but not on a consistent level. Coming from a system, Minnesota, that has effectively used that type of player it's odd that he's not using that here. Just an observation.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3398
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm
  • He's trying to with the bubble screens. They did a smart thing with those yesterday - first in making them very quick throws to allow Tate to get into space, and second running the same play back to back but on different sides as the Vikings stayed in the same defense.

    Bevell seems to have figured out that the long/wide throw is an accident waiting to happen. The quick pop to Tate in the slot is much more effective.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7436
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:The one thing that befuddles me about Bevell is his inability to use Golden Tate's athleticism more. Similar to what Minnesota does with Percy Harvin. Of all the receivers on the team, I think Tate is the closest to that. I believe Tate can be really good in that role. Maybe not Percy Harvin good but still pretty good. We've seen glimpses of it but not on a consistent level. Coming from a system, Minnesota, that has effectively used that type of player it's odd that he's not using that here. Just an observation.

    Well the last game saw signs of things to come with him using Tate the right way. Screens to Tate with Rice blocking worked out much better than how it was previously done. Hopefully we'll see much more of that because Tate is very dangerous in the open field.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6832
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:04 pm
  • It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

    Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2735
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

    Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.


    You're correct in route running, but i think you would be surprised with how many drops he actually recorded in 2011.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    User avatar
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2917
    Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:57 am


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm
  • One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4486
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

    Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.


    You're correct in route running, but i think you would be surprised with how many drops he actually recorded in 2011.


    Agreed. He had 0 drops in 2011. He had one bad game this year in terms of drops (at San Francisco), so I'm not sure that dinging him for drops is warranted.
    TheHawkDoc
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 145
    Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 am


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:40 pm
  • He has great hands. He is getting to be a decent #2. That said I'd still look to a WR or TE high in our next draft
    User avatar
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.


    :sarcasm_on: it's just so hard to stay in front of him when you got a midget QB taking midget steps backwards :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen:
    User avatar
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 814
    Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:35 pm
    Location: Canby, OR


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm
  • FlyingGreg wrote:He's trying to with the bubble screens. They did a smart thing with those yesterday - first in making them very quick throws to allow Tate to get into space, and second running the same play back to back but on different sides as the Vikings stayed in the same defense.

    Bevell seems to have figured out that the long/wide throw is an accident waiting to happen. The quick pop to Tate in the slot is much more effective.


    Yeah, in his presser just now (3:20ish) Pete addressed why some of those passes are working better and it has to do with our budding franchise quarterback. Pete said some of those quick throws are actually designed run/pass plays. Russell comes out of the huddle, sees the defensive setup, and makes the call as they approach the line whether to continue with the called run, or switch to the quick slot screen. Same formation, nothing changes except Wilson hands it off or he plants his foot, turns and throws. So as Russell is 1) getting more thoroughly into the playbook, and 2) being able to read defenses and adjust the play in the moment, those plays are working and adding dimensions to what our offense can do.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1402
    Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:30 pm
    Location: Olympia


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm
  • I find it quite ironic how we go from bashing Golden Tate for his wild inconsistency to blaming offensive coaching staff for not featuring him enough in the passing game.

    there is a reason why Bevell is an NFL coach and we aren't. he probably knows better :).
    Cheesehead Seahawk Extraordinaire
    User avatar
    Bipolar
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 749
    Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:58 pm
    Location: Bellevue


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm
  • Bipolar wrote:I find it quite ironic how we go from bashing Golden Tate for his wild inconsistency to blaming offensive coaching staff for not featuring him enough in the passing game.

    there is a reason why Bevell is an NFL coach and we aren't. he probably knows better :).


    It almost sounds like this is an internet based fan forum chock full of diverging personalities/opinions and wildly inconsistent reactions!

    Oh wait...

    :1:

    P.S. Your screen name perfectly describes us.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7436
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 pm
  • SalishHawkFan wrote:One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.


    That was the third ladderal of the game counting the Rice play. They were all thrown the same way - I think it was the play call. Don't like it but think it was.

    With that said 100% agree I was pissed that nobody went after the ball as it bounced out of bounds...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3159
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 pm
  • Starrman44 wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.


    :sarcasm_on: it's just so hard to stay in front of him when you got a midget QB taking midget steps backwards :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen:

    LOL thats some funny shit right there man!
    Image
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    User avatar
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 2750
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:17 pm
    Location: Oroville CA.


Re: Bevell's use of Tate
Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:39 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

    Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.


    +1 Concur and Tate has even admitted he feels like he now understands more of what he needs to be an NFL receiver
    Now that he is more effective he is being used more and looking more comfortable like the natural athlete with a knack for amazing plays that we saw at Notre Dame
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3209
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am




It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online