Did Yesterday's Game Move Your Meter?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xbpp825 said:
volsunghawk":2xbpp825 said:
One of the things that kills me about our fanbase is that we have these expectations of outstanding defensive performances against an upcoming team because their QB (for example) isn't very good. Additionally, we have had some folks here discount outstanding defensive performances if they've come against teams that were offensively challenged. And that happens on the other side of the ball, too. "Yeah, Wilson did okay, but it was against the Patriots' horrible secondary."

But we never seem to be so willing to acknowledge the opponent when our offense or defense performs poorly. If the offense struggles against the 49ers on the road, it's not because they faced an outstanding D, but because the offense sucks. If the defense allows a ton of yardage to Adrian Peterson, it's not because he's the #1 RB in the entire NFL, but because our run D sucks.

That inconsistency is infuriating.

With me it has to do with expectations. We have a very good defense, so I expect them to play well every week, even against a back like AP.

I would have been fine with AP getting his 100 yards and one TD............180 yards and 2 TD's? Sorry, can't chalk that one up to "Omg but it was AP!!"

So, in other words, the line between you being fine and being all up in arms was his single 74-yard run that was essentially a TD since he punched it in from the 1 a couple of plays later. A couple of missed tackles on a single play takes our defense from very good to "unacceptable!"

Got it. :roll:

seahawks08

Reaction score
My opinion we are not an elite defense yet, we have shown flashes but we are not there yet. Maybe because we are young, but defense travels better than offense. I would like the defense to get better, no matter what the offense has to offer. If it is fixable, lets fix it now, because I can bet the 49ers will try to expose our weakness every time we play them, it is the battle of schemes based on the personnel we have. The game with 49ers on how we play it will give me more information on how far this team will go this year in my mind.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":203nflbf said:
So, in other words, the line between you being fine and being all up in arms was his single 74-yard run that was essentially a TD since he punched it in from the 1 a couple of plays later. A couple of missed tackles on a single play takes our defense from very good to "unacceptable!"

That is correct, I am not OK with our defense giving up a 74 yard run and missing lots of tackles on said run. I am also not OK with our defense continuing to get gashed with 15+ yard runs three weeks after they told us it was "fixable." If it's "fixable".......fix it.

PS. Thanks for the condescending eye roll.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16b4bldc said:
volsunghawk":16b4bldc said:

That is correct, I am not OK with our defense giving up a 74 yard run and missing lots of tackles on said run. I am also not OK with our defense continuing to get gashed with 15+ yard runs three weeks after they told us it was "fixable." If it's "fixable".......fix it.

It's what that previous post and the quoted one here deserves.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20qwpdsv said:
Scottemojo":20qwpdsv said:
They made effective 2nd half adjustments for AP, what more do you want? If they hadn't fixed the problem I would be worried, but they did. I thought it was a very good thing that our defense took a couple of punches from Peterson, and still had the composure to make the fixes they needed to make.

I've heard this a few times today, and am confused. The Vikings only rushed AP like five times the entire 2nd half, and he still gained 40 some yards. How exactly is that the Hawks doing well with 2nd half adjustments? More like the playcalling for the Vikings was the reason, not the Hawks defense.
He did have the one good run in the 2nd half, true, but Minnesota did not abandon the run game for no reason at all. In the 2nd half, Seattle was showing 8, 9, and even 10 guys shading the box. They also made a point of just destroying the only other weapon on the Vikings, Percy Harvin. And if there is no bullshit personal foul on Browner and a delay of game is actually called, we just might have shut out the Vikings in the 2nd half. and you are losing your faith in the D because he had one run for 29 yards and 4 runs for a few more?

There is only one Adrian Peterson, and when the dude is determined, he is gonna get some. He said on a taped interview played during the game that he had the goal of out performing Lynch yesterday. And it isn't like he hasn't done it before. A few years back when he just destroyed the Chargers, they were one of the best two or three run D's at the time. Add to that that the Vikings O-line is truly good at run blocking and even a good team like ours can give up bunches of yards.

I have ZERO fears about our ability to stop future runners based on our difficulties stopping Peterson yesterday.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":12ybam1h said:
Sgt. Largent":12ybam1h said:
volsunghawk":12ybam1h said:

Sorry, I forgot anyone who has a different opinion than you deserves your steely eye'd condemnation.............or in this case, rolly eye'd.

I'm new here, so I'll try and remember to ALWAYS agree with volsunghawk, or feel his emoticon wrath. ;)

hawk45

Reaction score
Largent80":6qqdd1pa said:
My meter is firmly in the road win dept. 0 - 4 sucks ass.

Until they take the Clink on the road we aren't doing squat.

This is pretty much where I come down as well, especially since it looks like we're going to need a road win or two to see the playoffs this year. Beating Miami would move the needle for me. Beating Buffalo would move it some more. The only home victory that would be a real perception-changer at this point would be against the Niners.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'll say it moved my meter, but for the future.

Wilson keeps improving and showing progression. Bevell keeps increasing the variety of plays we're using. Receivers are getting on the same page as the QB, OL is still run blocking well, Wilson seems to be going deeper into his progressions, and is getting more accurate. So our QB goes, so goes our team. The better he gets, the better we get.

The problem we're having with this team, is that we haven't played a complete game yet. If the offense gels, the defense lapses. When the defense was solid, the offense was lagging. If we put both squads together consistently, we're a top 5 team.

That and our road woes, as has been stated above. We need to prove we can win on the road, since if we get to the playoffs, we'll be on the road. Win in Miami and in Buffalo, and then I have hope we won't be one and done in the playoffs.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2xh1yqay said:
If the defense allows a ton of yardage to Adrian Peterson, it's not because he's the #1 RB in the entire NFL, but because our run D sucks.

That inconsistency is infuriating.

However it's not as infuriating compared to knowing this D (hawks) is more than capable of stopping AP more than they did. There were breakdowns occurring, and it wasn't all AP causing this.
Note: I'm not saying Minnie's Oline is downright awful, but I do feel our run D did not play to their level sunday outside the red zone (not even close). And when you're at home, after losses such as we had, it's a bit of a letdown.

Had we been a D with problems closing the running game all year I wouldn't feel this way, but we can. There were breakdowns happening is all.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3a7avv0t said:
volsunghawk":3a7avv0t said:
Sgt. Largent":3a7avv0t said:

Sorry, I forgot anyone who has a different opinion than you deserves your steely eye'd condemnation.............or in this case, rolly eye'd.

I'm new here, so I'll try and remember to ALWAYS agree with volsunghawk, or feel his emoticon wrath. ;)
No, see, THIS is an emoticon wrath:

:evil: :pukeface: :1: :34853_doh: :177692: :179419: :229031_banghead: :229031_rant: :229031_rolleyes: :argue: :beating: :cussing: :death2: :domotwak: :enraged: :moon.: :rocket: :shoot: :smiley_karate: :suspicious: :thsnooty: :thumbdown:

:roll: (j/k)

kearly

Reaction score
Yes, this game did make me feel better about the 2012 season for a few reasons.

#1) This was a must win game and Seattle won it. There was a similar cross-roads game earlier this year (Dallas) and Seattle crushed it in that game too. Seattle has to double down and get the win against the Jets too, but I would have said with great confidence that Seattle is out of the playoffs most likely with a loss last weekend. They won however, and now only need to go 5-2 with 4 home games remaining to reach 10-6. It will be tough, but it can be done.

#2) Russell Wilson took his biggest step forward yet based on the eyeball test. He did not pass for a ton of yards, but he was money in the red zone and he guided the offense to nearly 400 yards without a ton of drives to do it. Wilson looked like a championship caliber QB, and it's possible that he may continue to improve further. His ability to feel pressure, navigate the pocket, buy time and find open receivers is miles ahead of where it was in week 1.

#3) The pass rush continues to look great at home. It's not as good on the road, but that suggest to me that our defense is getting close. If we added a Julian Peterson type to our LB corps this offseason, that could be the catalyst for our defense to become truly special. Our defense isn't a finished product yet, but it's very close.

sutz

Reaction score
Meter gets a slight positive bounce. Continued improvement of the passing game cancels the drop in defensive production IMHO.

Actually, they are right on track vis-a-vis my pre-season prediction. I didn't predict which games we would win/lose correctly, but I figured to be 5-4 right here.

:)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2kcmh1hi said:
Yes, this game did make me feel better about the 2012 season for a few reasons.

#1) This was a must win game and Seattle won it. There was a similar cross-roads game earlier this year (Dallas) and Seattle crushed it in that game too. Seattle has to double down and get the win against the Jets too, but I would have said with great confidence that Seattle is out of the playoffs most likely with a loss last weekend. They won however, and now only need to go 5-2 with 4 home games remaining to reach 10-6. It will be tough, but it can be done.

#2) Russell Wilson took his biggest step forward yet based on the eyeball test. He did not pass for a ton of yards, but he was money in the red zone and he guided the offense to nearly 400 yards without a ton of drives to do it. Wilson looked like a championship caliber QB, and it's possible that he may continue to improve further. His ability to feel pressure, navigate the pocket, buy time and find open receivers is miles ahead of where it was in week 1.

#3) The pass rush continues to look great at home. It's not as good on the road, but that suggest to me that our defense is getting close. If we added a Julian Peterson type to our LB corps this offseason, that could be the catalyst for our defense to become truly special. Our defense isn't a finished product yet, but it's very close.
Point number 2, that was the equivilent of a 40 minute football game. So many run plays that the clock just ran and ran.

Latest posts