Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: Bevell's use of Tate
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:56 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

The one thing that befuddles me about Bevell is his inability to use Golden Tate's athleticism more. Similar to what Minnesota does with Percy Harvin. Of all the receivers on the team, I think Tate is the closest to that. I believe Tate can be really good in that role. Maybe not Percy Harvin good but still pretty good. We've seen glimpses of it but not on a consistent level. Coming from a system, Minnesota, that has effectively used that type of player it's odd that he's not using that here. Just an observation.

Post subject: Re: Bevell's use of Tate
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

He's trying to with the bubble screens. They did a smart thing with those yesterday - first in making them very quick throws to allow Tate to get into space, and second running the same play back to back but on different sides as the Vikings stayed in the same defense.

Bevell seems to have figured out that the long/wide throw is an accident waiting to happen. The quick pop to Tate in the slot is much more effective.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
NET Veteran

hawkfan68 wrote:
The one thing that befuddles me about Bevell is his inability to use Golden Tate's athleticism more. Similar to what Minnesota does with Percy Harvin. Of all the receivers on the team, I think Tate is the closest to that. I believe Tate can be really good in that role. Maybe not Percy Harvin good but still pretty good. We've seen glimpses of it but not on a consistent level. Coming from a system, Minnesota, that has effectively used that type of player it's odd that he's not using that here. Just an observation.

Well the last game saw signs of things to come with him using Tate the right way. Screens to Tate with Rice blocking worked out much better than how it was previously done. Hopefully we'll see much more of that because Tate is very dangerous in the open field.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
NET Veteran

It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 pm 
NET Veteran

Sgt. Largent wrote:
It's not all on Bevell. The past two years Tate has been the most inconsistent WR, both with his route running, and drops. Add in a rookie QB, conservative play calling for the first half of the season and offensive line just now beginning to pass block consistently = Tate not reaching his full potential.

Like I said, yesterday Bevell called a GREAT game............and there's no reason to think that a wider open passing game with Tate more involved won't continue.

You're correct in route running, but i think you would be surprised with how many drops he actually recorded in 2011.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:15 pm 
NET Veteran

One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
NET Rookie

Basis4day wrote:
Sgt. Largent wrote:

You're correct in route running, but i think you would be surprised with how many drops he actually recorded in 2011.

Agreed. He had 0 drops in 2011. He had one bad game this year in terms of drops (at San Francisco), so I'm not sure that dinging him for drops is warranted.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:40 pm 
NET Veteran

He has great hands. He is getting to be a decent #2. That said I'd still look to a WR or TE high in our next draft

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 pm 
NET Veteran

SalishHawkFan wrote:
One of those screens was a backwards pass that the Hawks all just stood there looking at as it rolled out of bounds while the Minnesota DB dashed towards it trying to scoop it up and go for six. Tate has to have his head screwed on when that happens and go get that ball. Tate has to not place himself behind Wilson forcing the Qb to make a backwards pass.

:sarcasm_on: it's just so hard to stay in front of him when you got a midget QB taking midget steps backwards :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 pm 
NET Veteran

FlyingGreg wrote:
He's trying to with the bubble screens. They did a smart thing with those yesterday - first in making them very quick throws to allow Tate to get into space, and second running the same play back to back but on different sides as the Vikings stayed in the same defense.

Bevell seems to have figured out that the long/wide throw is an accident waiting to happen. The quick pop to Tate in the slot is much more effective.

Yeah, in his presser just now (3:20ish) Pete addressed why some of those passes are working better and it has to do with our budding franchise quarterback. Pete said some of those quick throws are actually designed run/pass plays. Russell comes out of the huddle, sees the defensive setup, and makes the call as they approach the line whether to continue with the called run, or switch to the quick slot screen. Same formation, nothing changes except Wilson hands it off or he plants his foot, turns and throws. So as Russell is 1) getting more thoroughly into the playbook, and 2) being able to read defenses and adjust the play in the moment, those plays are working and adding dimensions to what our offense can do.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 pm 
NET Veteran

I find it quite ironic how we go from bashing Golden Tate for his wild inconsistency to blaming offensive coaching staff for not featuring him enough in the passing game.

there is a reason why Bevell is an NFL coach and we aren't. he probably knows better :).

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

Bipolar wrote:
I find it quite ironic how we go from bashing Golden Tate for his wild inconsistency to blaming offensive coaching staff for not featuring him enough in the passing game.

there is a reason why Bevell is an NFL coach and we aren't. he probably knows better :).

It almost sounds like this is an internet based fan forum chock full of diverging personalities/opinions and wildly inconsistent reactions!

Oh wait...

:1:

P.S. Your screen name perfectly describes us.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:39 pm 
NET Veteran

SalishHawkFan wrote:

That was the third ladderal of the game counting the Rice play. They were all thrown the same way - I think it was the play call. Don't like it but think it was.

With that said 100% agree I was pissed that nobody went after the ball as it bounced out of bounds...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 pm 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Starrman44 wrote:
SalishHawkFan wrote:

:sarcasm_on: it's just so hard to stay in front of him when you got a midget QB taking midget steps backwards :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen:

LOL thats some funny shit right there man!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:39 am 
NET Veteran

Sgt. Largent wrote:

+1 Concur and Tate has even admitted he feels like he now understands more of what he needs to be an NFL receiver
Now that he is more effective he is being used more and looking more comfortable like the natural athlete with a knack for amazing plays that we saw at Notre Dame

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]