Who here is opposed to spending another 1st on defense?

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! RATING: PG-13
  • Not me. More pass rush! More more more until the other QB's have to wear depends because they're crapping their pants so much due to our relentless pass rush.

Really, the only thing you need on offense is QB. After you get that, it gets a lot easier. It has been shown on many studies that offense is going to be more consistently great than a defense, due to the fact that QB's usually make an offense great. I think we got our QB, and we don't need a WR as Rice and Tate are good enough, Zach Miller and McCoy are managing at TE (Use a 2nd rounder on TE though? Maybe) and hopefully Evan Moore gets better, which he should. The O-line has received plenty of high picks, and will only get better with time. And our RB's are beasty with Turbo and Beastmode.

So give me defense. I'm thinking Alec Ogletree. Seahawks defense will be elite for long time. Offense will be as well. We will get so good we will consider spending 1st rounders on special teamers! (But seriously, if a Greg Zurelein giant leg guy was in the draft, GET HIM wow is Zurelein a pain in the ASS!)
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I'm not comfortable with Anthony McCoy being our 2nd TE. I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins and I want a big physical WR. And a linebacker. And a right tackle. I want so many things.
    Superbowl.
    NJHawksFan
    NET Practice Squad

• NJHawksFan wrote:I'm not comfortable with Anthony McCoy being our 2nd TE. I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins and I want a big physical WR. And a linebacker. And a right tackle. I want so many things.

Sefarian Jenkins is not draft eligible this year.

In the 1st round I would just take best available player, with a slight curved grade towards WR's or DT's.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I'd like to go BPA either WR or RT in the 1st. I wouldn't be opposed to a DE, but our depth there is very good and I see us drafting a guy then cutting solid depth and not getting noticeably better. Probably a waste of a 1st round pick; anyone elite enough to start right away would most likely be drafted above our slot. If we make the Wildcard, we're looking at bottom 1/4 of the draft. We're probably bottom 1/3 of the draft anyways with how weak the AFC is this year.

Irvin had a lot of good pressures today; he caused 4 terrible incompletions by himself that I counted. He'll get better, and I don't see a need to draft his replacement after only one year. Scruggs and McDonald are also young players who will probably improve. I'd rather spend higher picks on needs/weaknesses than drafting to a position of strength.

LB depth and OL depth is where I would concentrate on in the middle rounds.

Our weaknesses right now are WR (3rd-5th, and could argue our 2nd isn't that strong), and RT. I'd go after a LB since I don't really like our depth and I'm not sure how much longer Hill can play at a high level.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    NJHawksFan wrote:I'm not comfortable with Anthony McCoy being our 2nd TE. I want Austin Seferian-Jenkins and I want a big physical WR. And a linebacker. And a right tackle. I want so many things.

Sefarian Jenkins is not draft eligible this year.

In the 1st round I would just take best available player, with a slight curved grade towards WR's or DT's.

Man going BPA :)

Still, I think we gotta go BPA on defense. I don't want to spend a first rounder on a wideout just so he can catch 3 passes per game.

DT..... yeah I guess you could convince me. Make him a good run stopper though! lol I can't watch RB's destroy us every game.

I still really want Ogletree though. As English has said many times, he was just MADE for the Hawks.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I've been hankering for a couple more big receiving options, but seeing Wilson piece together drives with his limited arsenal is sort of reducing the urgency of that. I think we should re-sign Jason Jones - he's proven his worth through his absence the last couple weeks, and he'd been proving it beforehand for anyone who was watching. Go BPA DE/LB from there.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:I've been hankering for a couple more big receiving options, but seeing Wilson piece together drives with his limited arsenal is sort of reducing the urgency of that. I think we should re-sign Jason Jones - he's proven his worth through his absence the last couple weeks, and he'd been proving it beforehand for anyone who was watching. Go BPA DE/LB from there.

Dion Jordan possibly? :hmmmm:

This defense is built for tweeners.
    hawksfan515
    NET Veteran

• I'd rather be grabbing a pass rusher now than waiting for Clemons to grow ineffective. That's not something we can afford to be behind the curve on, so I'm comfortable with a DE...or even a DT. Then again, if a prospect at WR or LB to replace Hill falls to us that is just too good to pass up, I'm fine with that, too.

We can go after a RT later on if we feel the need to.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• We desperately need a pass rushing DT. Look at how poorly we play when Jason Jones is out. His being out has the biggest effect on this team than anyone else because of the lack of pass rush. THat's a big reason why Detroit was able to do so well, no rush up the middle.

I put pass rushing DT as our biggest need.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• It's either a stud DT or WR for me, depending on how the board falls.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• The later in the first round we are drafting, the less opposed I am to going defense, mostly because "elite" players are usually off the board and this team can draft BPA at that point which leaves open the possibility of a few positions. Earlier in the round, I wouldn't oppose DT but other than that, I would.

I mostly want to see the offensive side addressed - Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Wilson has continued to play great, but this is still only is first year. He's not at that level where his receivers don't matter. Let's help him continue his progress with more help instead of having him progress with what he has now, which, at its worse, is Kearse, Edwards, Martin, Obo, McCoy, and Moore.

Last thought, a future WLB is a need, but Hill hasn't played bad this year. In fact, I think he's played decent. He's 30 but has another few years left (if only as a backup for part of those years). I've seen Ogletree's name thrown around as a 1st round consideration, but I'm not sold on him being the playmaker we all hope he'd be to push us into the elite status (1 INT and 1 sack in 5 games this season). This front office has shown to draft excellent in the 2nd rd and later with LBers. I say we stick to that formula as it seems to be working.
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information