Are the 2012 Seahawks like the 2009 Jets?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Are the 2012 Seahawks like the 2009 Jets?
Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:02 am
  • With it being Jets week, it seems even more fitting.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. fielded a top defense highlighted by its secondary.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. started a rookie QB and had a very up and down offense.. highlighted by its rushing game. (More on this later though)

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. struggled on the road and played much better at home.

The 2009 Jets, like this years Seahawks team.. had Braylon Edwards (ok this is more coincidence than anything else)

The 2009 Jets finished the year 9-7 and would wind up losing in the AFC Championship to the Indianapolis Colts.

The parallels between the two teams are very eerily similar, except for one big thing. Quarterback play. Russell Wilson is far and away better in his rookie season than Mark Sanchez was. In fact, Wilson has already eclipsed Sanchez in TD passes in their respective rookie years.. and for the most part has shown a good ability at protecting the football (save for a couple of brain farts he's had.. which happens with the position)

I remember there were threads comparing us to the Ravens and Bucs of the early 2000's .. and those were some really.. just off comparisons in my book. Both of those teams had unreal defenses who played NASTY football from start to finish. There were no Matt Stafford big days or Adrian Peterson big days against those defenses. We're talking historically good units for each respective team.

However, the Seahawks defense IS indeed a Top 10 unit.. and more often than not, they will play to that ability. The '09 Jets defense played very similar.. they had a couple of off days (interestingly enough at home of all places) but for the most part they were very good. In fact they were the best defense in terms of points allowed (we are currently 3rd overall in that category).

I think a lot of people would be happy with the Jets 2009 season.. even if we fell in the conference championship game.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• TL;DR

We get it, you don't like Russell Wilson. Enough already.

HA! I'm kidding. I read it. There are some similarities, the 2009 Jets were a young team with mixed expectations, but our QB play is MUCH better than theirs was that year. Also, I'd rate their defense as being a bit better that year than ours is this season. they won a lot of close games that year, from what I can recall. I'd be happy with a wildcard and a couple of playoff wins, certainly.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• You answered your own question with the play at the QB position. The answer is NO.
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: DE Cassius Marsh
    XxxZagnutxxX
    * NET Alumni *

• XxxZagnutxxX wrote:You answered your own question with the play at the QB position. The answer is NO.

:13:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• I certainly hope not.....I HATE the Jets!
    canfan
    NET Rookie

• Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

The whole time I read this, I read it in the voice of Johnny the effeminate guy from the movie Airplane!
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• Just kidding.
    johnny.jpeg
    johnny.jpeg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• CANHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

The whole time I read this, I read it in the voice of Johnny the effeminate guy from the movie Airplane!

Really? I read it in the voice of Robin Leach.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

Really? I read it in the voice of Robin Leach.

I read it in the voice of Tyler Durden.
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Zebulon Dak wrote:Not really. For one, the 2012 Seahawks uniform is primarily blue while the Jets of 2009 wore primarily green. Also while the Jets were from the east coat, and more specifically the north east, the Seahawks are from the west coast, and more specifically the north west. So I suppose they have the north part in common. Also, the 2009 Jets played in the AFC East which consisted of the Patriots, Dolphins and Bills while the 2012 Seahawks play in the NFC west which consists of the Rams, Cardinals & 49ers. Also the 2012 Seahawks are coached by Pete Carroll while the 2009 Jets were coached by Rex Ryan who looked like he may have eaten Pete Carroll. Although based on Pete Carroll's continued existence as somebody who has not been eaten it would appear that possibility is at least mostly false. Also the 2009 Jets had to travel west to play the teams in the western side of the US while the 2012 Seahawks have to travel east to play the teams on the eastern side of the US. This is obviously a big difference. Both teams have used primarily air travel to arrive at their "away" destinations so they do have that in common.

I read it in Leslie Nielson's voice for some reason...
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• The Jets...?

4-4 @ home
    5-3 on the road.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• CANHawk wrote:

Morgan Freeman.....although almost everything I read is now narrated by Morgan Freeman...including this sentence.
    "Your Seattle Seahawks, 2013-14 World Champions"
    Adopt A Rookie 2014-15 - Kevin Pierre-Louis
    Adopt-A-Red-Shirt 2014-15 Christine Micheal
    Previously known as megamanflx1
    Seahawkscrazy
    NET Veteran

• Let's get the Optimus Prime guy to record it.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• HawkAroundTheClock wrote:Let's get the Optimus Prime guy to record it.

Leonard Nimoy?
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• I sure hope we aren't the 2009 Jets. I don't wanna suck like ass in 3 years!
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

• I am more concerned that we may be like the 86 Hawks.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I see another major difference between the Seahawks of now and the Jets of then: We aren't signing big-name, overpaid free agents in the hopes of winning now.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• We also both have/had Leon Washington as our primary KR/PR
    Navyhawkfan187
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information