Did Yesterday's Game Move Your Meter?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Did Yesterday's Game Move Your Meter?
Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:05 am
  • Yesterday's win was great, don't get me wrong. But didn't we all expect the Hawks to win? I know I did.

My question is did you see anything yesterday that changed your opinion on how far the Hawks can go this year.......which right now is a #6 last Wildcard spot type of team?

My honest answer is no. I love the progress the offense is making, but the defense still can't stop from being gashed on the inside run game, and still gave up too many 3rd down conversions.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I'm also at "no" -- for now. We have to play better on the road, because more than likely if we do make the playoffs it's going to be nothing but road games.

We won't have the C Link crutch. To me, the three remaining road games are HUGE. We can't keep coming up just short on the road. Buffalo is the most winnable, Miami is going to be a tough one but it also winnable, and then there is the Bears - who are a FORCE so who knows.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• FlyingGreg wrote:I'm also at "no" -- for now. We have to play better on the road, because more than likely if we do make the playoffs it's going to be nothing but road games.

We won't have the C Link crutch. To me, the three remaining road games are HUGE. We can't keep coming up just short on the road. Buffalo is the most winnable, Miami is going to be a tough one but it also winnable, and then there is the Bears - who are a FORCE so who knows.

I think if we play the Bears tough, not even necessarily win, but play them tough then I'd be happy with that. It'd show that we can go on the road if we make the playoffs and compete.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• I think it moved my meter some on the offense, definitely. But with the defense looking destructible at times, that has me concerned for sure. Regardless of the postulations that we faced a great RB yada, yada, yada, and a great QB the week before, then ya, I'm concerned that other offenses have discovered a weakness in our defensive game and are exploiting it. Because when it comes to the playoffs, everything is worse. Anyway, I do believe the defensive lapses we've seen the last few weeks are fixable, but I hope to see it on the field now.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• Getting to the playoffs is half the battle.. While I would prefer a home game.. teams that are playing their best football in December are the teams to fear in January and beyond.. 2/5 SB Champs were #6 seeds from the NFC.. couple that with the NYG who got in at 9-7 last season and won the division by winning their last 2 games..

just get it.. now, I realize that we are not a force on the road, but we have been in position to win every game this season and the meter is going up on offense..

very excited about the near term and long term future with this offense.. 2nd youngest offense in the league.. not a single person that contributes is a FA next year either..

Defensively, only Branch and Leroy Hill are FAs.

Where can I find Seahawks98.com???
    Barthawk
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*
    *Bacon Eating Crusader*

• Jazzhawk wrote: Regardless of the postulations that we faced a great RB yada, yada, yada, and a great QB the week before,.

This is the NFL, you're going to play a great QB, RB or WR every week.

But yeah, I'm starting to get nervous about the D. Carroll and Bradley keep saying that the gap control and schemes is fixable...........but when it keeps happening? wtf's going on?

I'm no expert, but IMO it's been on Wagner and the LB's. Too many times out of position and picking the wrong gap.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Just like against the Lions, my meter moved up due to our offense and down because of our defense. We're talking two steps forward, and then two steps back, but...

AP is no joke, besides his 70+ yard run, we did a decent job of keeping him fairly in check. Yes, he still racked up 108 yards on just 16 carries - 6.8 yards per run - (if you remove the 74-yarder) which is waayyy too high for a team that wants to be successful on defense in this league... but I think we're starting to see glimpses of a very good offense.

If we can put them both together, offense and defense, in the same game, I don't see a single opponent on the rest of our schedule that can beat us. Including the Bears in Chicago...

Yesterday exposed our defense—no one can just arm tackle guys like Gore and AP, you have to bring it every. single. play. If we can do that, watch out NFL!
    chawx
    NET Veteran

• Nope. We win at home and lose on the road. Until they can show me they can win on the road, that's just the team we are. They are young and fun to watch though, that's for sure.

"The Seahawks showed today that they regarded me highly and I appreciate that, and I will continue to show how much I regard Paul Allen and the Seattle Seahawks with my play." - Richard Sherman
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Re: Did Yesterday's Game Move Your Meter?
Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:02 am
  • my answer is no as well, love the offensive improvements, but was again really disappointed in the run D.. i understand it was AP but wow, 200 yrds, come on... to make it to the promise land, we have to be a complete team, solid in all aspects and superior in at least one or two.. so i like what i'm seeing, but we still have work to do to get better and start addressing some of these lingering issues... WR's, Short middle of the field, run defense, penalties,drops.. and i don't know why, but for whatever reason, Houschka makes me nervous as hell with kicks over 30 yrds..
    Last edited by hawker84 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:05 am
  • For me every win moves the meter.

It's hard to win in the NFL and every victory means something.
    Championships are forever.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 am
  • Aros wrote:Nope. We win at home and lose on the road. Until they can show me they can win on the road, that's just the team we are. They are young and fun to watch though, that's for sure.

Good perspective.

One of my buddy's was bitching about the defense yesterday, and I said "let me remind you, it was only 4-5 years ago that we had the softest D in the NFL." I distinctly remember the 2009 season watching our D give up in the first quarter on the road against the Colts, the lack of heart was startling.

Our D might not be "elite".......but one thing's for damn sure, the other teams gonna walk off the field hobbling after getting mauled for 60 minutes.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 am
  • I’m still not there but more hopeful as I see the offense put more points up each week. It seems the Hawks are trying to do more game management on the road ‘low risk D and be there at the end’ As the feeling seems to be they can't risk playing from behind. In the past our O was not good enough to support even that. I don't think anything will change with the way this D plays on the road, but as the O gets better that conservative road philosophy may pay off.
    "Horse horse, did you see the size of that chicken?"
    TaterHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 am
  • Didn't get to see the game but had it on the DVD and the wife will tell you how unhappy I was in several areas. I thought we were lucky to win that game. This is what happens when you can run plays back and forth a lot.

Special teams,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,does anyone tell these people they have to cover their areas on the field and stop rushing off to the ball and having great runbacks go throught their area???

Besides what happened to working together to help the returner? Anything Leon is getting is all on him, our guys are all standing around watching/waiting for him to do something.

Receivers:Golden Tate is all about Golden Tate! Yes he made some great plays yesterday but the goal line thing, he jumps in the air and then is holding the ball up grandstanding as usual. Of course I miss the class of earlier years receivers that caught the ball, handed to the official and trotted back to the huddle. In other words act like they had caught the ball before.

Did you know the NFL has asked our receivers to stop spinning the ball on the ground rather than toss it to the officials? I've heard that several times from around the league. But Tate and Rice seem to think they have to do that.

Defense second week in a row showing the football world you cannot handle crossblocking teams that attack right up the middle. Ummmmm192 rushing yards???

That 74 yard run featured several players faked out of position and others standing around watching for someone else to make a play. The one bright light was Browner outrunning one of the fastest guys on the field to force them to take 3 more plays to score.

Was I happy with the win? damn straight. But doubt we beat anyone on the road continuing to play that way. In fact if the receiving corp is so in love with itself like it looks they very well could lose one or more at home.

Play like a team of professional, that would make me happy.

:roll:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am
  • To be honest I don't think it did. The defense is showing signs breaking down in the run defense department in the last few games. The offense has dropped a lot of balls that were right on the money. They had 3 yesterday and 5 the game before that. This stuff worries me with the more stout defenses we'll face down the stretch.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:26 am
  • The Radish wrote: In fact if the receiving corp is so in love with itself like it looks they very well could lose one or more at home.

You other concerns are valid, but I'm confused about this one. We FINALLY have a 2nd receiver emerging in Tate that's contributing to the passing offense, and you're criticizing him for showboating?

Everyone's praising Wilson, but one of the big reasons the passing offense is finally succeeding is Tate. If he catches 10 balls with two TD's every game, the dude can grab a microphone and sing We Are the Champions in the endzone for all I care.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    The Radish wrote: In fact if the receiving corp is so in love with itself like it looks they very well could lose one or more at home.

You other concerns are valid, but I'm confused about this one. We FINALLY have a 2nd receiver emerging in Tate that's contributing to the passing offense, and you're criticizing him for showboating?

Everyone's praising Wilson, but one of the big reasons the passing offense is finally succeeding is Tate. If he catches 10 balls with two TD's every game, the dude can grab a microphone and sing We Are the Champions in the endzone for all I care.

We all have our opinions, I'll give you yours as I'm sure you'll give me mine.

Did I mention we tackled about as well as my sons grade school teams did?

But let me say this about Peterson,,,he's pretty unbelievable!

:les:
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 am
  • Yes other teams are runnig the ball on the Hawks now. Thomas spent a lot of time playing up yesterday and they still did not try our corners. Teams knowing they can't throw at our corners is a big deal..44 yards in the air yesterday?..that is going to pay off...

let them run the ball...my glass is half full
    "Horse horse, did you see the size of that chicken?"
    TaterHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:47 am
  • The Radish wrote:We all have our opinions, I'll give you yours as I'm sure you'll give me mine.

No I hear ya. But I had a bigger problem with the defensive antics yesterday, rather than the WR's. Thomas carrying on after tackling AP? Dude, your defense was on pace to give up 200 yards rushing, wtf are you pounding your chest about?

Browner also had a unsportmanlike conduct penalty that kept a drive alive that pissed me off.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 am
  • Petterson has made a living making long runs even when the opponents all know he is running. I am not going to judge our defense on playing one of the best RB's in the game.

With that said - I saw great changes on defense in the half - very positive

I saw RW being even more comfortable in the pocket, stepped up a few times, rolled calmly then passed / took off

Moved forward instead of backwards - big win
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    The Radish wrote:We all have our opinions, I'll give you yours as I'm sure you'll give me mine.

No I hear ya. But I had a bigger problem with the defensive antics yesterday, rather than the WR's. Thomas carrying on after tackling AP? Dude, your defense was on pace to give up 200 yards rushing, wtf are you pounding your chest about?

I imagine that Thomas was animated as a way to try to get his fellow defenders to get motivated and to play better. Consider where Thomas usually lines up. The guy shouldn't have to be making tackles on run plays.

Of course, my interpretation hinges on the presumption that a guy who is widely considered the key to our defensive scheme isn't a self-centered jerk.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:58 am
  • I think we can be the 6th seed. I don't see SF losing more than 4 games this year even with their tough schedule coming up. 5th is more or less locked up by Chicago/Green Bay for whoever loses out on that race. NFC East has become a joke this year as well as the South. Going into this season I thought we could be 10-6 by being consistent at home and dropping some games on the road we could win. So far that seems to be our blueprint.

Few thoughts:

RW is growing every game. He had MANY passes yesterday that were third or fourth reads while still in the pocket. That is a HUGE improvement from early in the season when he looked to run after 1 or 2. Everyone who talked about his work habit to improve after every single game was correct. This guy must live in the film room. I love it....it is the same thing that got Peyton to where he is today. Even though it is unlikely we see him become Peyton Manning, the work ethic is there to be successful.

Sidney Rice is becoming a #1 WR. Anything thrown to him is caught. I'm really glad we are starting to throw to him more. I'd like it if he got even more looks.

Marshawn will consistently be a top 5 RB this season. We are lucky enough to have a guy like him who will get positive yards 9/10 times even when plays blow up. That is huge.

Run defense has been shaky, but we will not face another RB like Peterson the rest of the season. That guy is Minnesota's offense. He made some incredible Barry Sanders like cuts yesterday. If we can shore up our interior rush defense, we should be back where we started the season.

Teams still can't throw deep on us. Once again the majority of their passes were short/middle, and we did a much better job covering that even if Ponder blows. My biggest complaint in the past few games was how deep Earl had been playing, especially with how no teams throw deep on us. Yesterday he was much closer to the line of scrimmage and made a ton of big plays.

Special teams is looking everything but special. There needs to be some major changes there.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 am
  • My meter is always the same regardless of win or lose. I just take it step by step, one game at at time, one play at a time. Obviously every game is important...obviously.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    Of course, my interpretation hinges on the presumption that a guy who is widely considered the key to our defensive scheme isn't a self-centered jerk.

He's not, in fact Thomas is usually one of the quieter defensive players on the field..........even AP said he was confused with how fired up Thomas got, cause he's not normally like that.

My guess is it was a frustration thing. When a back's running the ball down your throat all day, you're extra excited when you finally do make a play. But still, that's kinda bush league stuff. Save the celebration for when you're dominating.

It's like a WR or RB doing a two minute TD dance when his team's down by four scores.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 am
  • i agree with radish's take... as happy as i was with the win, i felt like we were lucky to have been that successful against this team, my feelings are primarily due to their lack at the QB position... i really felt had they had a somewhat decent QB we would have had a much tougher time winning this game.. ponder is horrible, horrible.. this is what worries me about Sanchez coming in, he's much better than ponder.. as far as the show boating.. get used to it , it's not going to change, i just choose to ignore it.. but tate is a play maker, and a difference maker.. whatever he needs to do to continue playing at that level.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:13 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

He's not, in fact Thomas is usually one of the quieter defensive players on the field..........even AP said he was confused with how fired up Thomas got, cause he's not normally like that.

My guess is it was a frustration thing. When a back's running the ball down your throat all day, you're extra excited when you finally do make a play. But still, that's kinda bush league stuff. Save the celebration for when you're dominating.

It's like a WR or RB doing a two minute TD dance when his team's down by four scores.

See, I would see a "two minute TD dance when his team's down by four scores" as the actions of a self-centered jerk.

That's not how I interpreted what Thomas did.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 am
  • No, sorry to say. If we didn't beat a very rough looking Minnie (after recent losses...at home no less) I would have been shocked. It was somewhat of a much needed little break for our Hawks who've been dealing with a tough first half of a schedule. What concerned me was how close this game was (at home) for most of it...so I'm sorry to add I don't have too high of hopes for some coming games and feel we're still very much in rebuild mode.

It turns out our defense needs a full year before we can paint them as "top #" anything (I know it's a bummer to type that, but well, that's the truth). And I know we see the "rah-rah RW posts" after a win, and he had one of his better games this Sunday, the same goes for our QB. Although I totally understand the excitement some have (just can't shake the reality we were playing a 2012 Minnie in our house. Bigger fish are still on sched). And the biggie for me (and it pains me to type it)...but Pete is still suspect to me as well even after this long.

However "any given sunday" always applies, right? and none of this is to be read as gloom. You just happened to ask the 20K Q. I suppose it's somewhat ok to be in rebuild mode this year given our road issues so far. Next year however? Just fix it, there's too much talent here for that.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 am
  • chawx wrote:Just like against the Lions, my meter moved up due to our offense and down because of our defense. We're talking two steps forward, and then two steps back, but...

AP is no joke, besides his 70+ yard run, we did a decent job of keeping him fairly in check. Yes, he still racked up 108 yards on just 16 carries - 6.8 yards per run - (if you remove the 74-yarder) which is waayyy too high for a team that wants to be successful on defense in this league... but I think we're starting to see glimpses of a very good offense.

If we can put them both together, offense and defense, in the same game, I don't see a single opponent on the rest of our schedule that can beat us. Including the Bears in Chicago...

Yesterday exposed our defense—no one can just arm tackle guys like Gore and AP, you have to bring it every. single. play. If we can do that, watch out NFL!

Yep, we beat the Giants in their back yard last year with Jackson at the helm, so with Wilson getting better with each game, the Bears game is very winable, especially if the Defense plays better at defending the middle.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:36 am
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    Yep, we beat the Giants in their back yard last year with Jackson at the helm, so with Wilson getting better with each game, the Bears game is very winable, especially if the Defense plays better at defending the middle.

I think we match up well against the Bears. They've been throwing it all over the field on some bad defensive backfields the past 3-4 weeks, and that's our defensive strength. With Forte out, and their other backs dinged up, it will help our front seven's recent gap control issues.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am
  • My meter moved definitely. The Defense is going to be better vs. the run than they were yesterday. I believe they got embarrassed. However, they killed the pass. The D has to come back to their earlier season form, most definitely.

My meter jumped all over in regards to the offense. I am getting more and more excited about Wilson each week. It's starting to look like this team could be a balanced team. If we can continue, there is no reason we have to be the Ravens. We can have a good offense, too.

Last year I felt like Baldwin was unequivocally better than Tate, but Tate is showing a lot of toughness this year. I don't understand the ripping on him. He's kind of like Sherman where he feeds off his attitude. He had it going full force yesterday. The play he made to get into the end zone was guts and grit. Yeah, he could of fumbled, but he didn't. He got it across the line first. He took a shot, but he played tough the rest of the game. I still feel like he runs a little hot and cold (disappears sometimes), but at least he is showing up.

If Baldwin can get healthy and be that third down specialist... See, that's what I mean. Yesterday was very exciting for me from an offensive standpoint. Almost 200 yards on the ground and 200 yards through the air, that's awesome balance. What they showed in Detroit the week before is telling me we may be close to having a consistent offense at Home and on the road.
    Starrman44
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 am
  • The only thing that's moving my meter right now is the passing game, and the passing game just keeps taking steps forward.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    The Radish wrote: In fact if the receiving corp is so in love with itself like it looks they very well could lose one or more at home.

What he said!! :13:
    canfan
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:16 pm
  • One of the things that kills me about our fanbase is that we have these expectations of outstanding defensive performances against an upcoming team because their QB (for example) isn't very good. Additionally, we have had some folks here discount outstanding defensive performances if they've come against teams that were offensively challenged. And that happens on the other side of the ball, too. "Yeah, Wilson did okay, but it was against the Patriots' horrible secondary."

But we never seem to be so willing to acknowledge the opponent when our offense or defense performs poorly. If the offense struggles against the 49ers on the road, it's not because they faced an outstanding D, but because the offense sucks. If the defense allows a ton of yardage to Adrian Peterson, it's not because he's the #1 RB in the entire NFL, but because our run D sucks.

That inconsistency is infuriating.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:19 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:One of the things that kills me about our fanbase is that we have these expectations of outstanding defensive performances against an upcoming team because their QB (for example) isn't very good. Additionally, we have had some folks here discount outstanding defensive performances if they've come against teams that were offensively challenged. And that happens on the other side of the ball, too. "Yeah, Wilson did okay, but it was against the Patriots' horrible secondary."

But we never seem to be so willing to acknowledge the opponent when our offense or defense performs poorly. If the offense struggles against the 49ers on the road, it's not because they faced an outstanding D, but because the offense sucks. If the defense allows a ton of yardage to Adrian Peterson, it's not because he's the #1 RB in the entire NFL, but because our run D sucks.

It's because a lot of people think they have to be the first to put out a fire (that no one else sees). Usually by pissing on the inferno.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:22 pm
  • The only meter that moved for me was the Russell Wilson meter. I have been pretty critical of him this year but he seems to have learned from a lot of the rookie mistakes that drove me crazy in the beginning of the year, and is now playing some great football.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:27 pm
  • My meter is firmly in the road win dept. 0 - 4 sucks ass.

Until they take the Clink on the road we aren't doing squat.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:41 pm
  • It definately went up. Sure I expected the team to win, but the offense is playing much better than I could have hoped. I think poeple need to get a grip with the defense. Who give a rat's behind if we're ranked #1 or #10 it's all irrelevant. The question is are they giving us a chance to win? YES. 2 games they've failed- AZ (We wouldn't have needed RW's final drive if the defense would have buckled down on Kolb) and against DET. So what the Giants defense has cost them 2 games (Dallas and Pitts) this year. The 49ers defense has failed twice against the Vikings and G-men. The point is teams will have issues on either side of the ball.

We don't have a suffocating defense, but no team does in the NFL at this moment. It's who has the most complete team and our offense is developing very fast in that the offense isn't holding back the team anymore. That should be very encouraging moving forward.

I strongly beleive that we have a good chance at going 8-0 this last half of the season. The 3 road games are very winnable. If we are 7-4 heading into Chicago that game will have a playoff game feel to it. Then we get to finish with our division and the Bills. I think 10+ wins is a real possibilty. I also think the defense will get things straightened out and play much better the 2nd half of this year. Alot of the talk shows are mentioned Wagner as a an issue. I think he's doing a great job, Infact I think he's playing just as well as Lofa did in 2005.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 pm
  • volsunghawk wrote:One of the things that kills me about our fanbase is that we have these expectations of outstanding defensive performances against an upcoming team because their QB (for example) isn't very good. Additionally, we have had some folks here discount outstanding defensive performances if they've come against teams that were offensively challenged. And that happens on the other side of the ball, too. "Yeah, Wilson did okay, but it was against the Patriots' horrible secondary."

With me it has to do with expectations. We have a very good defense, so I expect them to play well every week, even against a back like AP.

I would have been fine with AP getting his 100 yards and one TD............180 yards and 2 TD's? Sorry, can't chalk that one up to "Omg but it was AP!!"
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:58 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:One of the things that kills me about our fanbase is that we have these expectations of outstanding defensive performances against an upcoming team because their QB (for example) isn't very good. Additionally, we have had some folks here discount outstanding defensive performances if they've come against teams that were offensively challenged. And that happens on the other side of the ball, too. "Yeah, Wilson did okay, but it was against the Patriots' horrible secondary."

With me it has to do with expectations. We have a very good defense, so I expect them to play well every week, even against a back like AP.

I would have been fine with AP getting his 100 yards and one TD............180 yards and 2 TD's? Sorry, can't chalk that one up to "Omg but it was AP!!"

They made effective 2nd half adjustments for AP, what more do you want? If they hadn't fixed the problem I would be worried, but they did. I thought it was a very good thing that our defense took a couple of punches from Peterson, and still had the composure to make the fixes they needed to make.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Largent80 wrote:My meter is firmly in the road win dept. 0 - 4 sucks ass.

We're 1-4 on the road, actually, though it's only marginally better.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Scottemojo wrote:They made effective 2nd half adjustments for AP, what more do you want? If they hadn't fixed the problem I would be worried, but they did. I thought it was a very good thing that our defense took a couple of punches from Peterson, and still had the composure to make the fixes they needed to make.

I've heard this a few times today, and am confused. The Vikings only rushed AP like five times the entire 2nd half, and he still gained 40 some yards. How exactly is that the Hawks doing well with 2nd half adjustments? More like the playcalling for the Vikings was the reason, not the Hawks defense.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:One of the things that kills me about our fanbase is that we have these expectations of outstanding defensive performances against an upcoming team because their QB (for example) isn't very good. Additionally, we have had some folks here discount outstanding defensive performances if they've come against teams that were offensively challenged. And that happens on the other side of the ball, too. "Yeah, Wilson did okay, but it was against the Patriots' horrible secondary."

So, in other words, the line between you being fine and being all up in arms was his single 74-yard run that was essentially a TD since he punched it in from the 1 a couple of plays later. A couple of missed tackles on a single play takes our defense from very good to "unacceptable!"

Got it. :roll:

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• My opinion we are not an elite defense yet, we have shown flashes but we are not there yet. Maybe because we are young, but defense travels better than offense. I would like the defense to get better, no matter what the offense has to offer. If it is fixable, lets fix it now, because I can bet the 49ers will try to expose our weakness every time we play them, it is the battle of schemes based on the personnel we have. The game with 49ers on how we play it will give me more information on how far this team will go this year in my mind.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    So, in other words, the line between you being fine and being all up in arms was his single 74-yard run that was essentially a TD since he punched it in from the 1 a couple of plays later. A couple of missed tackles on a single play takes our defense from very good to "unacceptable!"

That is correct, I am not OK with our defense giving up a 74 yard run and missing lots of tackles on said run. I am also not OK with our defense continuing to get gashed with 15+ yard runs three weeks after they told us it was "fixable." If it's "fixable".......fix it.

PS. Thanks for the condescending eye roll.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

That is correct, I am not OK with our defense giving up a 74 yard run and missing lots of tackles on said run. I am also not OK with our defense continuing to get gashed with 15+ yard runs three weeks after they told us it was "fixable." If it's "fixable".......fix it.

It's what that previous post and the quoted one here deserves.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:They made effective 2nd half adjustments for AP, what more do you want? If they hadn't fixed the problem I would be worried, but they did. I thought it was a very good thing that our defense took a couple of punches from Peterson, and still had the composure to make the fixes they needed to make.

I've heard this a few times today, and am confused. The Vikings only rushed AP like five times the entire 2nd half, and he still gained 40 some yards. How exactly is that the Hawks doing well with 2nd half adjustments? More like the playcalling for the Vikings was the reason, not the Hawks defense.

He did have the one good run in the 2nd half, true, but Minnesota did not abandon the run game for no reason at all. In the 2nd half, Seattle was showing 8, 9, and even 10 guys shading the box. They also made a point of just destroying the only other weapon on the Vikings, Percy Harvin. And if there is no bullshit personal foul on Browner and a delay of game is actually called, we just might have shut out the Vikings in the 2nd half. and you are losing your faith in the D because he had one run for 29 yards and 4 runs for a few more?

There is only one Adrian Peterson, and when the dude is determined, he is gonna get some. He said on a taped interview played during the game that he had the goal of out performing Lynch yesterday. And it isn't like he hasn't done it before. A few years back when he just destroyed the Chargers, they were one of the best two or three run D's at the time. Add to that that the Vikings O-line is truly good at run blocking and even a good team like ours can give up bunches of yards.

I have ZERO fears about our ability to stop future runners based on our difficulties stopping Peterson yesterday.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

Sorry, I forgot anyone who has a different opinion than you deserves your steely eye'd condemnation.............or in this case, rolly eye'd.

I'm new here, so I'll try and remember to ALWAYS agree with volsunghawk, or feel his emoticon wrath. ;)
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:My meter is firmly in the road win dept. 0 - 4 sucks ass.

This is pretty much where I come down as well, especially since it looks like we're going to need a road win or two to see the playoffs this year. Beating Miami would move the needle for me. Beating Buffalo would move it some more. The only home victory that would be a real perception-changer at this point would be against the Niners.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I'll say it moved my meter, but for the future.

Wilson keeps improving and showing progression. Bevell keeps increasing the variety of plays we're using. Receivers are getting on the same page as the QB, OL is still run blocking well, Wilson seems to be going deeper into his progressions, and is getting more accurate. So our QB goes, so goes our team. The better he gets, the better we get.

The problem we're having with this team, is that we haven't played a complete game yet. If the offense gels, the defense lapses. When the defense was solid, the offense was lagging. If we put both squads together consistently, we're a top 5 team.

That and our road woes, as has been stated above. We need to prove we can win on the road, since if we get to the playoffs, we'll be on the road. Win in Miami and in Buffalo, and then I have hope we won't be one and done in the playoffs.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:If the defense allows a ton of yardage to Adrian Peterson, it's not because he's the #1 RB in the entire NFL, but because our run D sucks.

However it's not as infuriating compared to knowing this D (hawks) is more than capable of stopping AP more than they did. There were breakdowns occurring, and it wasn't all AP causing this.
    Note: I'm not saying Minnie's Oline is downright awful, but I do feel our run D did not play to their level sunday outside the red zone (not even close). And when you're at home, after losses such as we had, it's a bit of a letdown.

Had we been a D with problems closing the running game all year I wouldn't feel this way, but we can. There were breakdowns happening is all.
    hawkfan1975
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Sorry, I forgot anyone who has a different opinion than you deserves your steely eye'd condemnation.............or in this case, rolly eye'd.

I'm new here, so I'll try and remember to ALWAYS agree with volsunghawk, or feel his emoticon wrath. ;)

No, see, THIS is an emoticon wrath:

:evil: :pukeface: :1: :34853_doh: :177692: :179419: :229031_banghead: :229031_rant: :229031_rolleyes: :argue: :beating: :cussing: :death2: :domotwak: :enraged: :moon.: :rocket: :shoot: :smiley_karate: :suspicious: :thsnooty: :thumbdown:

:roll: (j/k)
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information