My Dad's last game

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: My Dad's last game
Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:33 am
  • I'm so sorry for your loss. I remember that plea - and I'm terribly sorry to hear that your father has passed away.

You're in my family's thoughts.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:42 am
  • My sincerest condolences to you and your family and so sorry for your loss.
    Beer, Football, Family=A wonderful life.
    Hawknight
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:58 am
  • Hang in there man. My sympathies.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 am
  • My heart goes out to you.

I hope the 'Hawks hoist a Lombardi for your father this season. Hoping for peace for you and your loved ones, especially your dad.
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 am
  • Condolences, sounds like a hell of a guy from what everyone else wrote.
    ParisPC07
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:23 am
  • Prayers for you and your family.

He is truly in a better place.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:29 am
  • My deepest condolences. Very sad news.
    MexHawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 am
  • My deepest condolences to you and your family
    "While it's true most dragons are cruel, the Terpdragon seems to take particular glee in the misery of others, often tormenting her victims much like a cat plays with a mouse before delivering the final blow."
    Terpdragon
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:44 am
  • What a blessing to have entered into his reward with his family at his side while occupied with a beloved activity! It sure seems like The Father ordained blessing for your father to the very end.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    :: Theodore Roosevelt
    daketah
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 am
  • I'm very sorry for your loss.
    12thMan1
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 am
  • I've been there. I feel even today what you're feeling now. Do what you have to do to get through. Rely on those that you know you can rely on and let it out when you need to. It's been 4 years since I lost my dad and I still miss him every single day. Our fathers make us the men we are, and I'm always grateful to my dad for his influence on my life.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 am
  • Our prayers for you and your family. While I did not know your dad I can see by the comments here from others he was a stand up guy. The better the person the harder it is on the loved ones when they pass, your pain must be deep. My father has been gone 20 years now and to this day I remember all the big and little things he taught me and so shall you.

God's speed Hawkstorian and family.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 am
  • Thanks and love back to you all.
    * NET Staff *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 am
  • I feel for you, John. Grief is a helluva thing to go through, and it tends to be a little worse when the loss is sudden.

However, like you, I believe that many coincidences are more than mere coincidences, that many show signs of divine intervention or manipulation. And as an ardent Seahawks fan, I can think of few ways to go that would be better than watching the Seahawks win a game while in the company of those I love. I never met your dad, but I think it is entirely possible that this is the way he would have chosen to depart this earth if given the choice.

I hope you can find some comfort in this.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:11 am
  • My condolences. I didn't want to read the first post, because I knew it'd be heartbreaking. Hope everything is going well.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:26 am
  • So sorry to hear about your loss John. My condolences to you and your entire family.

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:34 pm
  • :( My thoughts go to you.
    Claden
    NET Rookie

Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:56 pm
  • Extending my sincerest condolences to you and your family.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm
  • My condolences. Sorry to hear about your and your family's loss. I'm glad he was able to spend his last few moments with you and your family.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm
  • My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, John.

Cherish the many wonderful memories you`ve got and it sounds like you've got too many to count which says everything about your dad.

One day at a time...
    heffmanhere
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm
  • Crap!

I wasn't going to, but then I teared up reading your post. I wish you and your family well.

I want the Seahawks to get on the ball and make a permanent memorial to the fans who've passed
    through the years - a big, huge plaque where all of our names can one day join your dad's and help
    put our brief time here, and the necessity of living life to the fullest, into perspective.
    Riley12
    * NET Recluse *
    * NET Recluse *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:30 pm
  • Sorry about your loss, I hope your family will be ok
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:16 pm
  • My thoughts are with you and your family, John. Your dad sounds like a great guy. I can only imagine myself in your shoes, and realize just what you must be going through. It's touching to read that you and your brothers were all at his side.

I have a similar relationship with my father. Sports being our common bond as long as I can remember. Going to Seahawks, Sonics, Mariners, and Husky games. Talking about them on the phone when there's not a ton otherwise to talk about. Most phone calls start off with "How are you doing?" followed up with discussing the most recent game or big sports related story in the news. Most of my great childhood memories that included just myself and my dad always seem to be centered around sports. Be it going to games or playing at the park. I'm sure my dad and I would still have a good relationship without sports to bond around, but I know it wouldn't be the same.

I hope everyone reading this thread who still has loved ones around takes a moment to think about it. Far too often in life, we don't appreciate the people in our lives until it's too late. Again, my heart and thoughts go out to you, John. Losing a loved one is never easy. But to lose something means you had something in the first place. And reading your post, you and your family truly had a special bond.
    SeaTown81
    * NET Alumni *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:53 pm
  • My sincerest condolences to you and yours good sir, not sure we've ever talked personally but your recognisable from your presence on these forums and enlightened opinions. Very sorry for your loss.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:00 pm
  • SeaTown81 wrote:My thoughts are with you and your family, John. Your dad sounds like a great guy. I can only imagine myself in your shoes, and realize just what you must be going through. It's touching to read that you and your brothers were all at his side.

I have a similar relationship with my father. Sports being our common bond as long as I can remember. Going to Seahawks, Sonics, Mariners, and Husky games. Talking about them on the phone when there's not a ton otherwise to talk about. Most phone calls start off with "How are you doing?" followed up with discussing the most recent game or big sports related story in the news. Most of my great childhood memories that included just myself and my dad always seem to be centered around sports. Be it going to games or playing at the park. I'm sure my dad and I would still have a good relationship without sports to bond around, but I know it wouldn't be the same.

I hope everyone reading this thread who still has loved ones around takes a moment to think about it. Far too often in life, we don't appreciate the people in our lives until it's too late. Again, my heart and thoughts go out to you, John. Losing a loved one is never easy. But to lose something means you had something in the first place. And reading your post, you and your family truly had a special bond.

Well said. I almost lost my Dad last year - I was on deployment off the coast of Africa and flew 24 hours (Djibouti-Ethiopia-Kenya-France-Miami-Norfolk-Washington DC-Portland, OR) home to see him. Thankfully, it wasn't his time. I'm extremely close with my old man (as well as my Mom and siblings) and dread the reality of losing them.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:07 pm
  • Me and my dad have been long time hawks fans and this year we bought our first season ticket package. Well I lost him right before the first game. It's not easy losing someone that close to us. But as some one who just lost his father from one son to another sorry buddy. The next day get easier but never the same.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 pm
  • Bumping an old thread... because losing Les reminds me a lot of losing my dad a couple of years ago.

We're never ready for people we truly love to move on, and yet it is always inevitable. One of the true hardships of life.

And yet .. if we truly had those we love forever, would we really appreciate them? Aren't the relationships we have wonderful in part because deep down we know they have a beginning, middle and end? Joy and Sadness are part of the same embrace.

However, some of us believe endings are just beginnings to something even greater.....

I haven't posted for several months until Les' death. My time a .NET as a regular poster had to come to an end, and I chose that time earlier this year. I really couldn't bring myself to enter that "final" post after 14 years of daily banter. However, I think Les, especially, would want me to let you all know that it's been a truly special part of my life that I spent with many of you.

Be good to each other.

John AKA "The Hawkstorian"
    * NET Staff *

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 pm
  • Nice thoughts John. Glad to know that you and Mark will be among those that will make it to the memorial for Les.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:20 pm
  • I wish you well during this tough time.
    October12thMAN!
    october12thMAN
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 pm
  • I'm so sorry for your loss, 'Storian. I'm sending all of the Seahawk positivity I have to you and your family, as well as Radish's clan.
    “We need to be challenged, ... and we need to be under the gun to respond.” --Pete Carroll
    nanomoz
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:22 pm
  • Well said John. The last time I saw my father alive, I flew up to Seattle and I treated him to the Hawks game against the Raiders (the one where Jeremy got kicked in the jewels). It was raining lightly and no cabs were available after the game, so we walked the two miles back to my hotel talking about life in general. One of my most cherished memories and the fondest one of my father.
    PlinytheCenter
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 pm
  • Be good to each other.

John AKA "The Hawkstorian"

Good to hear your message.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 pm
  • Thank you for the bump Hawkstorian, Take care of yourself also.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:55 pm
  • Although I've noticed you posting less and less over the years, I'm still gonna miss ya!

Take care, John.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:11 pm
  • Well said Hawkstorian.

And by the way, I have missed your posts.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:53 pm
  • Love you John.

You have always been a great friend.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:57 pm
  • I lost my dad also not long after the Super Bowl..I miss him all the time ..It sucks but I know he is in a better place than he was here in the body that was failing in his last 2 years..John mentions Les passing away- feeling like his dad..Les was about my dads age so it also brought back thoughts of my dads passing..I was depressed all weekend to a point..Hawkstorian you have a great gift of writing..I'll miss it..In closing theres a bunch of our dads up there..I like to think of them as the original 12's -the ones who got us hooked on the Hawks from the first time they took us to the Dome,QWest or the Clink..They live on through us..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:04 pm
  • One of the original .NET members I will always cherish. I am grateful that I am fortunate enough to still see you from time-to-time at Temple before a game, John. Life is a never-ending series of chapters filled with both heartache and loss as well as joy and love.

To your father, to Les, to all we have loved and lost, we say "Until we meet again."

Les "The Radish" Norton - Ambassador/Grandfather of .NET, gone too soon but will never be forgotten. RIP
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 pm
  • Aros wrote:One of the original .NET members I will always cherish. I am grateful that I am fortunate enough to still see you from time-to-time at Temple before a game, John. Life is a never-ending series of chapters filled with both heartache and loss as well as joy and love.

To your father, to Les, to all we have loved and lost, we say "Until we meet again."

Yes Todd, thanks for bringing this back.

We all we got, We all we need, indeed.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:24 am
  • Very sad news. My condolences to you and to all that loved him.

I know my pops will be seeing his last game soon, as well.

Go Hawks and thank you Pete.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:42 am
  • Hate to see you leave. Your numerical history of the team this last season was maybe the best thing I've ever read here. It brought back so many great memories. My condolences again for your father and now for what you're feeling regarding the loss of Les.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:44 am
  • I'll never forget this day when You, Dom and I all hooked up at the J & M well before a game. Can't even remember what year it was,,,,,,

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Previous

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information