If Seattle did invest in a WR, who would he replace?

Which starting WR would you bench (or release) so that the new guy could start?

• Sidney Rice

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Golden Tate

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • Doug Baldwin

Votes: 68 72.3%

• Total voters

kearly

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk this year about how WR should be an offseason priority for the Seahawks. I don't actually share that opinion, but regardless, it's a possiblity that Seattle might go out and invest in a starting WR this offseason, either in free agency or with a high draft pick. If that happens, one of Rice, Tate, or Baldwin would lose their starting job. Tate and Baldwin are on cheap, team controlled contracts. Rice is owed $7 million next season. Personally, I would not feel great about investing big for a starting WR because I don't want to bench any of those three guys (unless it was for Wes Welker).

But if it did happen, who would you bench to start him? Personally, I'd bench Baldwin- and only because I think he's our 3rd best WR right now.

For the purposes of this poll, I'm leaving off the option for drafting/signing a backup WR and keeping our current trio- that's because I'm more curious about which player you'd feel most comfortable with upgrading on.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
I would draft a true #1 or #2 guy and move Tate to the slot i think that is where he would perform best. Brandon Coleman anyone?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I voted Baldwin only because his injuries worry me. Golden is on the upswing and I'm willing to pay Sidney Rice his 7 million for the production that he has. Rice's connection with Russell will only get better and now that Sidney has put some meat on those bones, I think his injuries will be infrequent.

Smoke

Reaction score
Rice has had 1.5 injury free seasons out of 6. just don't trust him to Stay healthy. I say you turn Tate into a slot guy and draft a serious number one guy, move Rice over to the number 2. Make Baldwin a situational Wr. (that gets used a lot.) We still don't have that #1 guy yet. We need that wr one the roster that is drafted to Complement RW3'S skillset, imo

canzag

Reaction score
I would also move Baldwin down the depth chart.I am also on board with WR being not the huge need some people think.I dont like taking WRs in round one.A day 2 type pick in rounds 2 through 4 would be fine for me.

suppaball

Reaction score
Take a wide out in rounds 2 and 4 I think you can get #2 from Oregon State in the 4th if lucky.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Would you consider....two for one? Do not bring Kearse or Obo back, but instead get a 3rd Round Draft choice......6'5" with good hands and a strong brain.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Why does he have to replace anyone? If we get a kid that's awesome, traditionally speaking he won't have =an impact until year 3 anyway. Why wouldn't he sit behind one of the options listed above, instead of getting toasted as a rook?

IMO, the choice is D) Sit him till year 3.

themunn

Reaction score
Ideally we'd be drafting a number 1, so that would just move everyone 1 down the depth chart, NWR and Rice on the outsides, Tate playing slot or outside on WR heavy sets, Baldwin also playing slot - ideally rotating all of them to keep them fresh (and less prone to injury!)

Throwdown

Reaction score
That's the beauty of competition, the best players will play! I'd think Baldwin would get pushed aside a bit, seeing as this offense seems to favor bigger receivers on the outside. But I think if Tate can keep playing even at a fraction of what he played yesterday, He could easily change their minds about having a bigger receiver on the outside, we'll see though.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Draft another big guy for the outside, let Tate and Baldwin work the inside and draft a late round speedy WR who can take some reps on the outside for the deep balls every now and then.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I think we should keep all 3 guys and add another WR in the draft. If we let anyone go, it should be Martin or Kearse. Obo is a very valuable special teams player more so than a receiver. JMO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
We have two real offensive needs: a really good TE, and and elusive player with silly speed at any of the 3 skill positions. If that is a WR, then so be it, we will run more 3 WR sets. We have silly speed with Turbin already, but with Lynch, Turbo is just not going to be on the field that much. Unless Bevell starts designing some two RB sets, which would be a good idea.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Kelly.Orr":2b2k4bcr said:
I would draft a true #1 or #2 guy and move Tate to the slot i think that is where he would perform best. Brandon Coleman anyone?
:13: I voted Baldwin for that exact reason.

debevemos

Reaction score
If we draft a wide receiver he won't be replacing anyone, he will be adding depth to the pool. I think we have less of a need at WR and more of a need for a good second TE to go with Miller. I'd rather try and draft a solid TE if one's available and pick up a WR in the later rounds.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
On D, we could probably add another LB and DT.
I do agree about a WR/TE as priorities though.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
debevemos":3qgr76fg said:
If we draft a wide receiver he won't be replacing anyone, he will be adding depth to the pool. I think we have less of a need at WR and more of a need for a good second TE to go with Miller. I'd rather try and draft a solid TE if one's available and pick up a WR in the later rounds.

Technically you are replacing someone...just not the three listed. I believe when he said "replace" the op was saying in the starting lineup....if you list the three in the poll at WR#1, #2, #3...and not literally kick the guy off the team.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I would keep Doug simply so he wouldn't go to the 9ers, actually, same goes for Tate.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I fully understand the cost issue, but I just don't see this team going deep into the playoffs with its current receiving stable. We need an upgrade. It doesn't have to be in the first-round, and of course Pete and John will do all the scouting necessary to ensure that it DOESN'T come from the first-round. But the status quo isn't an option.

Latest posts