So, you say Russell Wilson does not have a shot at ROY?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I want him to be the obvious choice and get robbed....want him to have an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
I would like to believe Wilson has a shot, but Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin will most likely make the voters forget about him. What a year to be a rookie...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I see RG3 as Blake Griffin. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck as Tim Duncan.

One wins fans and highlight reals, the others win games.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":21yl1mno said:
I want him to be the obvious choice and get robbed....want him to have an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

They'll all regret their choice when we blowout the Steelers in the SB and he's named MVP :)

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think RW would vote for Luck. The fact their two names are being said in the same sentence speaks volumes about RW. Like most of you, I've watched an assload of QBs drafted over the years, few looked more promising than Andy Luck. The kid is a football machine and like Manning, born to play the position.

RG3 is the second coming of Mike Vick. Vick has never won anything and can't stay healthy. RG3 is a rare specimen that will take NFL defenses a season to dial in. And they will. They always do. We all watched Vick ruin the Falcons. It was Vick that ran off Matt Schabb. Atlanta was damn fortunate to score Ryan and now are on the verge of something big. Long term, the Schabbs, Ryans and Wilsons will get their team where they want to be. Not so much the Vicks, Newtons and RG3s. Those guys come and go and no matter how badly an OC wants to re-invent the position, time has proven running QBs lose more than they win...including playing time.

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1hmer01b said:
T-Sizzle":1hmer01b said:

They'll all regret their choice when we blowout the Steelers in the SB and he's named MVP :)

I'd be damn happy with a play off win but love your enthusiasm. Once we get back to sweeping the division, HFA will be ours, which makes the SB quite likely. I'm in!

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I've seen highlights for the Redskins vs. Panthers game about 60 times, and non stop talk about the Colts. I am still waiting for Hawks highlights. Granted, I've dozed off a few times, but still seen colts and skins highlights many times over.

I'm not one who believes RW will get slighted because of where he plays. Numbers don't lie. He hasn't been the best yet, albeit he's very good. The only thing the Colts really added was Luck and they were miserable last year. Luck is far more important to Indianapolis than Wilson is to us IMO. I'd still rather have RW though, call me crazy. I just trust him.

Regardless of who wins, Wilson will get some votes...

Wolfepack

Reaction score
Wait, I thought it was called ROY, not ROWeek9? Please don't flush RG3's work down the toilet after one game. I forgot who said it, but there's a quote:

"It's better to be consistently good, than occasionally great."

Luck and RG3 have been consistently good. RW and Martin have been occasionally great. If the judging were today - I don't think RW would be in the running. I think Luck's & RG3's steady good performances would rank better than RW's and Martin's freak explosions. In fact, I think the fact that RG3's consistently good AND occasionally great performances have him in 1st.

But, they don't pick ROY after week 9. If RW were to win out throwing 3 TDs & 300+ yards per game and leads the Hawks to a NFC title game - quite possibly. But I speculate (as everyone else is doing) that things will be status quo for the next 7 weeks: RG3 & Luck will be consistently good with RG3 probably throwing in a few spectacular games to win ROY. RW and Martin will probably have a couple more good-to-great games. Only player with a hope of leading his team to a playoff game is RW, but even then, I don't think his performances will be definitively better than Luck's or RG3's.

Rat

Reaction score
HawkWow":2g0nui73 said:
RG3 is the second coming of Mike Vick. Vick has never won anything and can't stay healthy. RG3 is a rare specimen that will take NFL defenses a season to dial in. And they will. They always do. We all watched Vick ruin the Falcons. It was Vick that ran off Matt Schabb. Atlanta was damn fortunate to score Ryan and now are on the verge of something big. Long term, the Schabbs, Ryans and Wilsons will get their team where they want to be. Not so much the Vicks, Newtons and RG3s. Those guys come and go and no matter how badly an OC wants to re-invent the position, time has proven running QBs lose more than they win...including playing time.
I don't think RG3 is anything like Vick, other than that they're both really fast. Vick may have the most impressive overall skill set I've ever seen from a QB. RG3 doesn't have Vick's power, but he's a lot more accurate. The big difference between the two is that RG3 is about a million times smarter than Vick. Griffin will work hard, put in the time in practice, and improve. He's also a much more natural leader than Vick. RG3 is kind of like Wilson in that they're both charming and extraordinarily charismatic. Even before all of Vick's legal troubles, nobody thought all that much about him as a person.

Vick "ran off Matt Schaub"? I don't understand what you mean by that. Schaub isn't that good anyway. The Falcons were lucky to get what they did for him.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I totally disagree with almost your entire post. There is nothing strong about Vick. Quite the opposite. I'm certain RG3 runs and plays stronger than Vick. They both have a tendency to play off of their athetisism instead of staying in the safe confines of a pocket. Both have a tendency to see their first receiver covered, then refusing to see their 2nd, or 3rd option, take off running. Vick has been hurt, RG3 will get hurt. Both are arrogant and as much about personal goals as winning. I've heard very few people ever describe Vick's skillset as QB...complete. I don't think I've ever heard that, actually. Even in his youth at Atlanta, there were murmurings that he should be used as a wide-out or TB.

I don't know what to say about the "luck" of the Falcons in the context you use the word in. Schaub was clearly better than Vick. Vick just wasn't very good as a QB. They basically tradeda pro-bowl (x2) QB for two 2nd rd picks.

Coming off of injury, Vick went to Blank and his coaches and bitched that it was unfair to the line that they have to block for a running QB, then blcok for a pocket QB IF (LOL) he went down. Well, what went down was the trade to HOuston, where Schaub has played very well and often excellent, and Vick went to the joint. This left Atlanta totally screwed. Yes, they were fortunate to have picked Ryan, but imagine what they could have traded that pick for while keeping a more than serviceable Schaub?

This fascination with Mike Vick is about to run it's course as he ruins another team and costs Reid his job. Yet Vick still insists he is "one of the best players in the league". I do agree with one of your points, Vick is stupid. Let it be understood, I do not hate Vick the man. He made a mistake and more than paid his dues. I am happy for him he got the chance to fund his retirement. I just don't like him as a QB.

I do respect your opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
HawkWow":1lr13eyr said:
I totally disagree with almost your entire post. There is nothing strong about Vick. Quite the opposite. I'm certain RG3 runs and plays stronger than Vick. They both have a tendency to play off of their athetisism instead of staying in the safe confines of a pocket. Both have a tendency to see their first receiver covered, then refusing to see their 2nd, or 3rd option, take off running. Vick has been hurt, RG3 will get hurt. Both are arrogant and as much about personal goals as winning. I've heard very few people ever describe Vick's skillset as QB...complete. I don't think I've ever heard that, actually. Even in his youth at Atlanta, there were murmurings that he should be used as a wide-out or TB.

I don't know what to say about the "luck" of the Falcons in the context you use the word in. Schaub was clearly better than Vick. Vick just wasn't very good as a QB.

Coming off of injury, Vick went to Blank and his coaches and bitched that it was unfair to the line that they have to block for a running QB, then blcok for a pocket QB IF (LOL) he went down. Well, what went down was the trade to HOuston, where Schaub has played very well and often excellent, and Vick went to the joint. This left Atlanta totally screwed. Yes, they were fortunate to have picked Ryan, but imagine what they could have traded that pick for while keeping a more than serviceable Schaub?

This fascination with Mike Vick is about to run it's course as he ruins another team and costs Reid his job. Yet Vick still insists he is "one of the best players in the league". I do agree with one of your points, Vick is stupid. Let it be understood, I do not hate Vick the man. He made a mistake and more than paid his dues. I am happy for him he got the chance to fund his retirement. I just don't like him as a QB.

I do respect your opinion and we will just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Only one disagreement....

RG3 is a way better person than Vick. A way better person. WAYYYyY better.

HawkWow

Reaction score
It appears he is. Vick and his brother are a couple of thugs. But as I stated above, I believe he more than paid his debt to society. I think Stallworth killed a human and got (much) less. I wish them both well and I;m glad we don't have either in Hawk Blue.

Rat

Reaction score
HawkWow":3nopfefb said:
Both are arrogant and as much about personal goals as winning.
I couldn't disagree more with this part. What have you seen from RG3 that makes you think he's all about himself? He was very team-oriented at Baylor. He's about as natural of a leader as they come. Comparing him with Vick in this regard is insane.

HawkWow":3nopfefb said:

I don't know what to say about the "luck" of the Falcons in the context you use the word in. Schaub was clearly better than Vick. Vick just wasn't very good as a QB. They basically tradeda pro-bowl (x2) QB for two 2nd rd picks.

Vick was very powerful, IMO. He was (at least early in his career), not just a guy who could make defenders miss, but he could bowl them over as well. Both Vick and RG3 have (or had in Vick's case) blazing speed, but Vick was much more elusive and complete running the ball. RG3 is mostly just fast. Really, aside from them being big threats to run, I don't see many similarities in their games. Vick never completely developed, but coming out of Virginia Tech, he had everything you could want physically. I think he would have been a generational player if he had been more mature.

I've never heard that story about Vick talking to Blank, but Vick was the easy choice to be starting at the time and when another team offers you two 2nd round picks for your backup QB, it's hard to turn it down. I've never been impressed with Schaub anyway. I seriously can't think of a single big game where he has carried his team to victory. I've also never seen a QB who gets so much of his production in garbage time. He has to be the most overrated QB in the league right now, and probably the most overrated since Donovan McNabb's peak years.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I stand by the fact he has no chance. It's not a knock on Wilson, this contest is just a popularity one. And Luck is running away with that right now.. RG3, Martin, Morris will all get votes too.

We don't need Wilson to be the ROY. We just need him to do what he did today.

Rat

Reaction score
Andrew Luck has led the Colts to a 5-3 record, a year after the team went 2-14. This is with a worse defense, and a much, much worse running game than Wilson. Aside from Reggie Wayne, his targets in the passing game aren't all that impressive either. In a 433 yard passing day, Luck's leading wideouts were Donnie Avery and TJ Hilton. It's hard to not be really impressed with what Luck is doing. Objectively, I don't see how anyone could say that Wilson is more deserving at the moment.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd have to say it's #1 Luck, #2 Martin, and #3 Wilson at this point, although people will probably put Griffin 3rd due to East Coast Bias.

Luck and Martin lead in the stats categories, and they both went to teams with a lot worse talent. They just blew Indy up; that might be the least talented team in the league and Luck is single handedly pulling them along.

I'm loving Wilson's progression, but keep in mind, he kicked ass today, but only threw for 178 yards. It's going to be like 2005 Matt Hasselbeck......he's gonna be 14-20, for 220 yards and 2 or 3 TDs on a good day. The run game will take care of the rest.

And if the defense gets back on track, we won't need to throw a lot, since we'll be protecting a lead, and not being behind a lot.

zhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3auu984x said:
I stand by the fact he has no chance. It's not a knock on Wilson, this contest is just a popularity one. And Luck is running away with that right now.. RG3, Martin, Morris will all get votes too.

this!!!

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
zhawk":13qdwsaa said:
Hasselbeck":13qdwsaa said:

this!!!

I want it so bad though! :(

kearly

Reaction score
hawksfan515":2k4p3ykh said:
Doug Martin

Andrew Luck

RG3

RUSSELL WILSON

Can't think of anyone else.

I have all of those players, save Andrew Luck, on my fantasy team. I did pretty well today.