Credit where its due: Bevell

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Credit where its due: Bevell
Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:49 pm
  • How about some serious kudos for Bevell today? Felt like the playcalling was very well mixed up and had the Vikings D pretty backed up the whole game. First time we got 30 pts as well!

Or are we still trying to run the guy out of town?
    Exploding
    NET Rookie

Re: Credit where its due: Bevell
Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:51 pm
  • We had 30 against the Cowgirls but yeah, i liked the play calling today.
    "I don't know why anyone thinks the NFL is going to start the season with a rematch of one of the most lopsided Super Bowls of all-time.

They want a competitive game, not an ass-pounding." --- Broncos Fan
    smashmouth59
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:52 pm
  • .NET whipping Coach. He did pretty well today.
    hedgehawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:52 pm
  • smashmouth59 wrote:We had 30 against the Cowgirls but yeah, i liked the play calling today.

Pretty sure we only had 27 against the cowgirls... and today we could have scored another TD or a FG at least. We had their D on the ropes at the end.
    Exploding
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:53 pm
  • Yeah that's true, but this is the first to 30 all from the offense.
    "Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories." - Sun Tzu
    BigMeach
    NET Starter

• smashmouth59 wrote:We had 30 against the Cowgirls but yeah, i liked the play calling today.

Joey13091
    NET Veteran

Weren't some of the 30 points against the Cowboys scored by the defense tho? If so, then the comparison doesn't count.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• We had 27 against the Cowboys, 7 of that coming from special teams. This offense is starting to blow up!
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:54 pm
  • Exploding wrote:How about some serious kudos for Bevell today? Felt like the playcalling was very well mixed up and had the Vikings D pretty backed up the whole game. First time we got 30 pts as well!

Yup. He made some pretty nice playcalls today. Hope he continues to mix it up. No more run, run, pass.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:58 pm
  • Would like to see more screens to the RBs. Didn't like the 2 QB sneaks in a row (that's what you pay Beast to do). Would also like to see more passing on first down though suspect that's coming what with the continued maturation of RW.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:10 pm
  • My bad, it was 27. :34853_doh:

Go Hawks! :thirishdrinkers:
    "I don't know why anyone thinks the NFL is going to start the season with a rematch of one of the most lopsided Super Bowls of all-time.

They want a competitive game, not an ass-pounding." --- Broncos Fan
    smashmouth59
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:16 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Exploding wrote:How about some serious kudos for Bevell today? Felt like the playcalling was very well mixed up and had the Vikings D pretty backed up the whole game. First time we got 30 pts as well!

Yup. He made some pretty nice playcalls today. Hope he continues to mix it up. No more run, run, pass.

Agreed. I knew there would be some Bevell defenders shouting out after this game. If he calls plays like this the rest of the season, I'm all in but I do not think anyone in this organization is free from scrutiny. I could be that hater too that says it wasn't the play calling,, players just played well. As one Bevell homer did when they said its not Bevell's fault,, players are just playing bad. (Paraphrasing here)
    seahawkfreak
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:21 pm
  • Bevell exploited matchups today. I think having to stay in two tight ends for much of the game just because of the sheer lack of receivers was a very good thing.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:21 pm
  • Like I said in another thread, some of the calls he made today have been set up by what we did last week and weeks before.

Mixing up playcalling is more than just in-game. Whoever we play for the rest of the season will have to think about what we can do from different formations and personnel packages. The WR screens have been roundly booed around here for most of the season. Today the team used them to tear up the Vikes.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:23 pm
  • Very pleased with Bevell today. I'd like to see a few more designed runs for Wilson, as I think that strikes fear in the opposition, subsequently opening things up more for both his passing and Lynch's running.

Typically, I hate designed run plays for starting QBs, but Wilson has a very smart approach to the QB run. Seldom am I concerned he will not get down before taking an ugly hit. He has a very seasoned way about him, defying everything I've ever felt about rookie QBs. It's likely he will be the 3rd most valuable rookie QB this year, but I would take his style and approach over RG3's any day of the week.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm
  • We're implementing simple misdirection, slants, screens, designed runs, outs, seam plays, read-options, a bunch of stuff in the last month and the offense is executing it well. It's getting harder to see Bevell getting fired at the end of the season.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Bevell exploited matchups today. I think having to stay in two tight ends for much of the game just because of the sheer lack of receivers was a very good thing.

Great point Scott. The M&M&M boys at TE can cause some real problems for opposing D's.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:28 pm
  • Yep. Kudos to Bevell.
    Best playcalling effort I've seen from him to date. The Rice double pass play and the fake pitch rollout pass on the last drive--aggressive plays that are VERY FUN to watch.

Bevell continues to unleash RW3 and Rice! He has become a BELIEVER! (Or is he a BEVELLIEVER?)
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:39 pm
  • Two straight QB sneaks when you have Beast, Turbo, and Robinson says that Bevell is still capable of bonehead calls. DO NOT get our QB hurt, Bevell.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:43 pm
  • He probably called his best game so far. Some of the plays caught me by surprise - didn't see em coming. That's good play calling.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:44 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Two straight QB sneaks when you have Beast, Turbo, and Robinson says that Bevell is still capable of bonehead calls. DO NOT get our QB hurt, Bevell.

Seriously. All of the playcalling and red zone improvement goes right out the window if RW goes down. I don't see Bevell being such a Maestro that he doesn't miss a beat even when all of a sudden it's noodle-arm Flynn under center.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:51 pm
  • Yeah, aside from a couple of the aforementioned bad calls I gotta agree, pretty much loved what Bevell did today and I am one of his biggest doubters.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:51 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Two straight QB sneaks when you have Beast, Turbo, and Robinson says that Bevell is still capable of bonehead calls. DO NOT get our QB hurt, Bevell.

Seriously. All of the playcalling and red zone improvement goes right out the window if RW goes down. I don't see Bevell being such a Maestro that he doesn't miss a beat even when all of a sudden it's noodle-arm Flynn under center.

So RW makes the OC job so easy EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT?
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 pm
  • I know that two out of the three times we punted Bevell called three consecutive run plays and three consecutive pass plays. If bevell mixes it up we are a hell of a lot more successful.
    storm74
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:07 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:
    Exploding wrote:How about some serious kudos for Bevell today? Felt like the playcalling was very well mixed up and had the Vikings D pretty backed up the whole game. First time we got 30 pts as well!

If you look at the play by play for the game Bevell opened more series today with run run than he did in almost any of the other games so far.5 in the first half alone.4 of those resulted in first downs.The only failed attempt was the fullback dive on 3 and 1.
    The funny thing about people complaining about Bevell doing that is the huge success rate we have on getting first downs when he does call that sequence.
    In this game he started 9 series with run run and we got 8 first downs on those series.Granted we went for it on 4th down to ice the game.
    There are only so many plays you can practice and execute properly with an offense this young and a rookie QB.It will take Wilson at least another season until he has total control and understanding of the wco.As he grows more of the playbook will open up to whoever will be calling the plays.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:24 pm
  • As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, he's layering plays off of plays that have been successful early in the season. It's a headache for defenses to prepare for. I really enjoyed the majority of his playcalling today.

I've always thought the Bevell criticism has been a bit naive, and would encourage all of his detractors to actually call plays outside of a video game before you bash him too much.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 pm
  • He looked better today aside from the head-scratching QB sneaks 2 in a row but he's had some pretty awful stretches in other games. I don't think we have to have business cards that say OC on them to direct some criticism his way. Hey, if it keeps on like today there won't be much more criticism.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm
  • Every offensive coordinator has some bad stretches, calling for him to be fired and the amount of criticism that he's received this season has been utterly insane in my opinion. How often would people on this board rip Holmgren, renowned thorughout the league as one of the best playcallers EVER? Its totally an hindsight driven armchair quarterback thing.

The offense has improved steadily throughout the season. It's no mystery why his playcalling has been viewed as "better", he's been layering his calls with the foundation he set earlier in the season as well as the execution by the players improving. It takes two to tango.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:36 pm
  • I love the calls for Sydney throwing. Such a great addition to the offense. I can't wait for his first TD throw!
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:37 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, he's layering plays off of plays that have been successful early in the season. It's a headache for defenses to prepare for. I really enjoyed the majority of his playcalling today.

I've always thought the Bevell criticism has been a bit naive, and would encourage all of his detractors to actually call plays outside of a video game before you bash him too much.

oh, so we've got an offensive coordinator right here amongst us that has actually called plays outside of a video game. nice. thanks for the insight.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:39 pm
  • Who would have thought that Bevell would become a better play-caller when his QB learns the system better?

Aside from a few WR screens I thought he has been a good playcaller all season. Players weren't executing nearly as well.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm
  • Thanks for missing the point. Its always a pleasure how people interpet statements.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:42 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:Thanks for missing the point. Its always a pleasure how people interpet statements.

Kill em with kindness 2K. Thanks so much shane for adding substance to the thread.
    seedhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:42 pm
  • I got your point just fine. But it works both ways. Who are you to say he doesn't deserve any criticism and that other fans are naive.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:Thanks for missing the point. Its always a pleasure how people interpet statements.

Well, the comment did come off a bit snarky.

And, the playcalling has been downright awful at times. After the game, Pete went out of his way to laud the playcalling, which tells me Pete's been dissapointed as well, at times.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 pm
  • Because the criticism is without logic or perspective. Traits of a naive approach to a topic. I could label it "arrogant" or worse, "Stupid", but that's just mean isn't it?

I think the defensive coaching is susceptible to far more criticism, as there have been a lack of schematic adjustments to how opponents are attacking them. Bevell is constantly adjusting and layering his playcalling.

It's totally result based, if the play doesn't work, then the play call must have been terrible, when chances are the execution failed. I find myself disagreeing with 3-4 of his calls a game, but I find it to be a matter of taste rather than myself being right and he being totally wrong.

On this board there is a greater emphasis on the offensive side of the ball on playcalling than execution, and thats naive.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:Thanks for missing the point. Its always a pleasure how people interpet statements.

Well, the comment did come off a bit snarky.

And, the playcalling has been downright awful at times. After the game, Pete went out of his way to laud the playcalling, which tells me Pete's been dissapointed as well, at times.

Of course it did, because people are far more likely to take a statement personally than actually think about it.

Snarky? Or honest?
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:00 pm
  • If you paid attenition, some of us have been very specific and not result based in criticism of Bevell.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 pm
  • Blanket statements are naive. Not everyone that doesn't think Bevell might not be the best long term option at OC disregards the lack of execution.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:03 pm
  • Yes, the valiant few, that bring reasoning to an emotional place like this, and I appreciate it, but you've got to understand a lot of it reeks of hindsight criticism, and that's something I just can't stand.

I do pay attention, as I read far more than I post.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:10 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:Yes, the valiant few, that bring reasoning to an emotional place like this, and I appreciate it, but you've got to understand a lot of it reeks of hindsight criticism, and that's something I just can't stand.

Well, all I can say, a lot of us have been critical both when the results made it easy to AND difficult to criticize. I'm a big critic, and I've routinely given him credit to.

Maybe when you wave the flag of "you don't understand what its like" when its easy AND difficult your posts will be read differently.

Not coming down on ya, just don't remember you being one way or the other.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 pm
  • haha, calling me a front runner because I post this after a win? Really? I'm pretty sure I have, but I tend to not post on the long, volatile threads where everyone digs a trench, takes a stance and argues in circles.

But, fair enough, next time the Seahawks offense has a subpar game, or, we lose, since he got ripped last week by quite a few posters when the offense actually did pretty well, I will appease you and give detailed explanations why I disagree with the majority of the criticism so that the time after that there is an argument record of my opinion since thats how opinions and "credibility" is built on this board the last few years. And yes, that just was one long sentence.

I couldn't give a rats ass if you come down on me or not, I can handle it.

Cheers
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:27 pm
  • I was a Bevell doubter but if the Seahawks start to put up massive points like this every week, no more.
    "Somehow a second year quarterback was more ready for this game, than a first ballot hall of famer!?"
    -DMac 104.3 Denver The Fan after Super Bowl XLVIII
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:36 pm
  • pehawk wrote:
    seahawk2k wrote:Yes, the valiant few, that bring reasoning to an emotional place like this, and I appreciate it, but you've got to understand a lot of it reeks of hindsight criticism, and that's something I just can't stand.

Well, all I can say, a lot of us have been critical both when the results made it easy to AND difficult to criticize. I'm a big critic, and I've routinely given him credit to.

Maybe when you wave the flag of "you don't understand what its like" when its easy AND difficult your posts will be read differently.

Not coming down on ya, just don't remember you being one way or the other.

I'm also a Bevell critic as well and for the most part we've given Bevell props when he's done well. This aggressive playcalling is what most of us were hoping for from such a conservative coaching staff (Bevell included).
    For poster who is bashing us Bevell critics keep in mind this game was against HIS FORMER TEAM AND PLAYERS and it was played AT HOME.

The Viking secondary was thin and can't defend the short passing game. Bevell clearly has an advantage in this game and did well as he should. Another advantage is that RW did very well too and his quick decisions and improvisation skills made the OC look much better.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:36 pm
  • I liked the playcalling today. Exploiting matchups, getting the defense slanted one way then running the other, and generally keeping them off balance.

I'm not too worried about him getting Wilson hurt on the sneaks. QBs rarely take violent collisions on sneaks, certainly not as violent as regular knock downs when guys get a running start at ya. Also, Minny's DL was getting a lot of penetration against us, so I'm not too tore up about the sneaks. They were stuffing Lynch when they knew it was a run, and guessed the gaps.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:44 pm
  • seahawk2k wrote:haha, calling me a front runner because I post this after a win? Really? I'm pretty sure I have, but I tend to not post on the long, volatile threads where everyone digs a trench, takes a stance and argues in circles.

But, fair enough, next time the Seahawks offense has a subpar game, or, we lose, since he got ripped last week by quite a few posters when the offense actually did pretty well, I will appease you and give detailed explanations why I disagree with the majority of the criticism so that the time after that there is an argument record of my opinion since thats how opinions and "credibility" is built on this board the last few years. And yes, that just was one long sentence.

I couldn't give a rats ass if you come down on me or not, I can handle it.

Cheers

Didn't say anything, nor doubt you can take anything. Just found it a tad overkill to say you shouldn't criticize, unless you've actually called plays before. I don't even like video games, so, I have no rights to criticize, I guess.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:54 pm
  • Well apparently you would know that Bevell is a good OC if you did play video games because that's all it requires for that knowledge while thinking that he isn't a good OC requires real experience calling plays..
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 pm
  • All I know is these message boards are going to get a lot less traffic once they start enforcing the standard that we all must hold paid positions on an NFL coaching staff before we're allowed to comment. That is, except for particular posters who are exempt from that somehow? I'm trying to figure this out here and am having a little trouble. Ah well, one thing is clear, as long as nobody says anything negative about Bevell they won't come for us.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 pm
  • Come on man, don't misquote me, I believe I said that I would encourage his detractors to call plays outside of video games before they bash him too much. No one is above criticism, but the criticism itself has been excessive. Maybe I should've been more specific, but I was talking largely to the people that say he should be fired and always find something he does to complain about. I've found that the people that take the strongest opinions in this world are the people that actually are the most ignorant and uneducated and its unfortunate that you took my comment personally as you weren't on my mind at all when I made that post. For that I apologize, as I'll be more targeted in my criticism next time.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 pm
  • If it helps, people that've read my posts, know I never liked his hire. On a basic level, he made no sense after firing Bates and bringing in a Cable.

He did have a GREAT game today. Great game. I also posted how ballsy the NE GW TD was.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Next

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:40 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information