Credit where its due: Bevell

hawk45

Reaction score
Scottemojo":kn7ghzt8 said:
Two straight QB sneaks when you have Beast, Turbo, and Robinson says that Bevell is still capable of bonehead calls. DO NOT get our QB hurt, Bevell.

Seriously. All of the playcalling and red zone improvement goes right out the window if RW goes down. I don't see Bevell being such a Maestro that he doesn't miss a beat even when all of a sudden it's noodle-arm Flynn under center.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Yeah, aside from a couple of the aforementioned bad calls I gotta agree, pretty much loved what Bevell did today and I am one of his biggest doubters.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
hawk45":1s9tmssw said:
Scottemojo":1s9tmssw said:
Two straight QB sneaks when you have Beast, Turbo, and Robinson says that Bevell is still capable of bonehead calls. DO NOT get our QB hurt, Bevell.

Seriously. All of the playcalling and red zone improvement goes right out the window if RW goes down. I don't see Bevell being such a Maestro that he doesn't miss a beat even when all of a sudden it's noodle-arm Flynn under center.

So RW makes the OC job so easy EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I know that two out of the three times we punted Bevell called three consecutive run plays and three consecutive pass plays. If bevell mixes it up we are a hell of a lot more successful.

justafan

Reaction score
-The Glove-":nmrz6ngw said:
Exploding":nmrz6ngw said:
How about some serious kudos for Bevell today? Felt like the playcalling was very well mixed up and had the Vikings D pretty backed up the whole game. First time we got 30 pts as well!

Or are we still trying to run the guy out of town?
Yup. He made some pretty nice playcalls today. Hope he continues to mix it up. No more run, run, pass.

If you look at the play by play for the game Bevell opened more series today with run run than he did in almost any of the other games so far.5 in the first half alone.4 of those resulted in first downs.The only failed attempt was the fullback dive on 3 and 1.
The funny thing about people complaining about Bevell doing that is the huge success rate we have on getting first downs when he does call that sequence.
In this game he started 9 series with run run and we got 8 first downs on those series.Granted we went for it on 4th down to ice the game.
There are only so many plays you can practice and execute properly with an offense this young and a rookie QB.It will take Wilson at least another season until he has total control and understanding of the wco.As he grows more of the playbook will open up to whoever will be calling the plays.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, he's layering plays off of plays that have been successful early in the season. It's a headache for defenses to prepare for. I really enjoyed the majority of his playcalling today.

I've always thought the Bevell criticism has been a bit naive, and would encourage all of his detractors to actually call plays outside of a video game before you bash him too much.

hawk45

Reaction score
He looked better today aside from the head-scratching QB sneaks 2 in a row but he's had some pretty awful stretches in other games. I don't think we have to have business cards that say OC on them to direct some criticism his way. Hey, if it keeps on like today there won't be much more criticism.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Every offensive coordinator has some bad stretches, calling for him to be fired and the amount of criticism that he's received this season has been utterly insane in my opinion. How often would people on this board rip Holmgren, renowned thorughout the league as one of the best playcallers EVER? Its totally an hindsight driven armchair quarterback thing.

The offense has improved steadily throughout the season. It's no mystery why his playcalling has been viewed as "better", he's been layering his calls with the foundation he set earlier in the season as well as the execution by the players improving. It takes two to tango.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I love the calls for Sydney throwing. Such a great addition to the offense. I can't wait for his first TD throw!

Shane Falco

Reaction score
seahawk2k":qx3k8adb said:
As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, he's layering plays off of plays that have been successful early in the season. It's a headache for defenses to prepare for. I really enjoyed the majority of his playcalling today.

I've always thought the Bevell criticism has been a bit naive, and would encourage all of his detractors to actually call plays outside of a video game before you bash him too much.

oh, so we've got an offensive coordinator right here amongst us that has actually called plays outside of a video game. nice. thanks for the insight.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Who would have thought that Bevell would become a better play-caller when his QB learns the system better?

Aside from a few WR screens I thought he has been a good playcaller all season. Players weren't executing nearly as well.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Thanks for missing the point. Its always a pleasure how people interpet statements.

seedhawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":31k9nlt1 said:
Thanks for missing the point. Its always a pleasure how people interpet statements.

Kill em with kindness 2K. Thanks so much shane for adding substance to the thread.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I got your point just fine. But it works both ways. Who are you to say he doesn't deserve any criticism and that other fans are naive.

pehawk

Reaction score
seahawk2k":h151wvl7 said:

Well, the comment did come off a bit snarky.

And, the playcalling has been downright awful at times. After the game, Pete went out of his way to laud the playcalling, which tells me Pete's been dissapointed as well, at times.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Because the criticism is without logic or perspective. Traits of a naive approach to a topic. I could label it "arrogant" or worse, "Stupid", but that's just mean isn't it?

I think the defensive coaching is susceptible to far more criticism, as there have been a lack of schematic adjustments to how opponents are attacking them. Bevell is constantly adjusting and layering his playcalling.

It's totally result based, if the play doesn't work, then the play call must have been terrible, when chances are the execution failed. I find myself disagreeing with 3-4 of his calls a game, but I find it to be a matter of taste rather than myself being right and he being totally wrong.

On this board there is a greater emphasis on the offensive side of the ball on playcalling than execution, and thats naive.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
pehawk":1is0tfae said:
seahawk2k":1is0tfae said:

Well, the comment did come off a bit snarky.

And, the playcalling has been downright awful at times. After the game, Pete went out of his way to laud the playcalling, which tells me Pete's been dissapointed as well, at times.

Of course it did, because people are far more likely to take a statement personally than actually think about it.

Snarky? Or honest?

pehawk

Reaction score
If you paid attenition, some of us have been very specific and not result based in criticism of Bevell.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Blanket statements are naive. Not everyone that doesn't think Bevell might not be the best long term option at OC disregards the lack of execution.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Yes, the valiant few, that bring reasoning to an emotional place like this, and I appreciate it, but you've got to understand a lot of it reeks of hindsight criticism, and that's something I just can't stand.

I do pay attention, as I read far more than I post.

Latest posts