STOP WR SCREEN CALLS

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm so sick of wide receiver screens, running them back to back for nearly 2 first downs and running a wr screen and then pass to zach miller? What are these play calls... You guys have finally convinced me. Jeez.

:sarcasm_on:

OP
OP
BigMeach

BigMeach

Reaction score
As I've said before, the play call wasn't the problem. It was the blocks being let go of or missed. When they are hit , it changes everything. Screens are the kind of plays that look really dumb if not executed properly. But when they are it looks genius.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I thought they looked really good. In particular we threw to Tate on the right. Then on the left. Both worked, and it completely loosened up the defense. They are as much to keep pressure off as anything else. It's a good tactical decision I think.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
i was with u until today... and maybe for the rest of the season. But today, they really seemed to work and they also seemed to look more casual than forced. I'm not a huge fan of them, especially on 2nd and short, but i think they open the passing lanes with PA and help the running attack.

Even if they don't gain a lot of yardage doesn't mean they aren't valuable to the offense. And when they do break, its gravy. Just wait till we draft a stud WR and we won't be complaining.

sutz

Reaction score
BigMeach":11qbiqvg said:
As I've said before, the play call wasn't the problem. It was the blocks being let go of or missed. When they are hit , it changes everything. Screens are the kind of plays that look really dumb if not executed properly. But when they are it looks genius.
It's also on Wilson, he has to see and know if the D has it covered. If so, he has to go elsewhere or throw it over the WR's head and out of bounds.

But you can see what Bevel was doing, though. Having thrown a lot of these recently, we were set up to run these trick plays out of that situation.

Starrman44

Reaction score
Make em guard the receivers from 5 yards in the backfield all the way to the endline in the endzone!! Open that field up...

SharkHawk

Reaction score
It really opened up the middle for the run too. You could see their LB's cheating to the edges, Greenway in particular because of Russ's rollouts and the screen plays. That flea flicker to Rice in particular seemed to really mess with them.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Notice how we went WR screens to Tate and had Rice blocking? Worked a lot better than the other way around.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
they are potential fumbles , we were lucky one of them bounced out of bounds. im down to throw that play out.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, screens are awful. Remember that one to Rice where he threw it to Miller? Atrocious. Never do it again! Those two to Tate on consecutive plays to break down the Vikes D? AWFUL! What are the coaches thinking running a play that works? Throw it out, and replace it with something better like that wide and slow developing toss to the RB on short situations.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Anyone else notice, when we still had Obo, that if he was the blocker and Rice or Tate the catcher the play was positive. Other way around and it was real iffy.

JKent82

Reaction score
Well this was the first game I was happy with the WR screens.

I just don't like laterals. I'd like them to never do those. EVER.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'm assuming Pete watched the Ducks offense rolling up and down the field on his Trojans last night. Got some tips on how to run that play. Even saw a Ducks zone read run play from Wilson tonight.