Would the dink and dunk work in Seattle?

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":12g93khj said:
Unfortunately, for a lot of fans, it will never be good enough w/Wilson, they have already decided they want Flynn etc. I was thinking about how before the season a lot of ppl were saying they would be happy with 4-4 considering our schedule. Now it seems like a ton of ppl are pissed off about that exact record. It just is whining for the sake of whining imo.

They moved the goal posts when we beat DAL, GB and NE. For whatever reason people assumed we'd lose 2 or all 3 of those games and would beat AZ and STL on the road. Because we held at home, we have a bunch of captains hindsight saying "well then we shoulda won the 2 division road games if we're good enough to beat GB and NE!!"

I'd almost rather have this 4-4 than the alternatives that put us at 4-4. We have head-to-head wins over GB and Dallas, and will have it over the Vikes after this weekend. Those are the only teams that concern me about competing for a WC spot, since at this point I'd say the Hawks have about a 1% chance of winning the division. SF virtually owns every tie breaker if we both end up at 12-4. They'd have to lose 3.

All this talk about electively changing the passing game to dink and dunk due to receiver depth is bollocks. If you want to render the running game ineffective, then by all means go for it.

We're 2 losses in the hole because guys couldn't catch crucial throws or you have stupid penalties that bring back huge gains. You don't change your whole philosophy because of that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. Prior to that Niners game, we were the #1 team is catching the ball according to Clayton (as in NON drops)

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
I have to 100% agree with Montana. The "dink and dunk" is not a successful scheme. It's a sign of failure or a sign of playing a terrible defense. You aim that low, you will never go anywhere. And hello? What exactly were we doing at the start of the year that drove every fan insane? That was the definition of "dink and dunk".

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2dguh25h said:
Unfortunately, for a lot of fans, it will never be good enough w/Wilson, they have already decided they want Flynn etc. I was thinking about how before the season a lot of ppl were saying they would be happy with 4-4 considering our schedule. Now it seems like a ton of ppl are pissed off about that exact record. It just is whining for the sake of whining imo.

In time they will stop...then pretend they never acted the way they did and praise Russell as the man. Some of them will probably own a Wilson jersey ..... everyone will come around eventually. The national media all ready has come around on Wilson, the haters will be soon to follow.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2hjkgpj6 said:
Just watch Ponder this weekend, then tell me if you want a lot more dink and dunk.

Do you know who wants more 'dink and dunk' from Ponder?

IMG_2376.png

Samantha Steele of ESPN. Pretty good catch for a quarterback only in his second year huh?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21 beat me to it, and hit the nail on the head. With teams stacking the box against our run game, throwing quick passes into the teeth of the defense isn't exactly an optimal strategy.

I like what we're doing, and I like the offense once Bevell has opened it up a bit.

We have a good run game, and that rolls right into the play action that they like to run. It also allows for guys like Rice and Tate to get that extra separation for deep balls. It also opens up the intermediate routes for our TE's.

We've also been doing more roll outs, screens (although not always well executed), wheel routes by the RBs, etc. With a slightly better run game, our offense will be hard to stop, which is why it worked so well in Minny. Teams have to gameplan for Lynch like they did for Peterson.

The only think I'd really like to see is more true 2 TE sets, where we run the ball, then pass out of the same formation. I'd love to see a slightly uptemp run game with these 2 TE sets, wearing the defense down, then sending Miller and/or McCoy out in coverage against a team's base LBers, thus creating more mismatches

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":sf0c3ah3 said:
There is MAYBE, M A Y B E, 3 fans that fit this description, why don't you address THEM, and ask them to stop injecting the life serum into that DEAD HORSE that you and a couple others have been beating on.
This silly subject has been in about every single QB post on .NET.
You're not going to FORCE anyone that thinks that way about Flynn or Wilson, so what's your goal?
Your time would be better spent, yacking at a wall LOL

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm going more off of what I hear on the radio, I never once said anyone on here, I'm new here and don't really know anyone on here other than Skip. It's just an observation on reading stuff on blogs, FB, comments on KJR and ESPN, along w/just listening to ppl around town.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2abaccg8 said:
SoulfishHawk":2abaccg8 said:
There is MAYBE, M A Y B E, 3 fans that fit this description, why don't you address THEM, and ask them to stop injecting the life serum into that DEAD HORSE that you and a couple others have been beating on.
You're not going to FORCE anyone that thinks that way about Flynn or Wilson, so what's your goal?
What was your point? Soulfish doesn't have an ass-ton of posts on here, it is unlikely he he has beating on ANY dead horses.
Or did you just feel like lecturing somebody?

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":2u8wkst9 said:
I have to 100% agree with Montana. The "dink and dunk" is not a successful scheme. It's a sign of failure or a sign of playing a terrible defense. You aim that low, you will never go anywhere. And hello? What exactly were we doing at the start of the year that drove every fan insane? That was the definition of "dink and dunk".

Actually, at at the beginning of the season, we were running the ball a lot, and not a lot of passing. And when we did pass, it was a lot of mid-range routes, 10-20 yard seams, etc. That's not dink and dunk. "Dink and dunk" is a lot of underneath routes, screens, and quick passes at the LOS for 5-6 YAC. A true "dink and dunk" offense will throw the ball A LOT (>35 times a game), because you're only trying to get a handful of yards per passing down. And it's most often used against teams that have a strong defense, specifically teams that have a great pass rush and secondaries that play a lot of zone. It's also very effective at creating opportunities for your run game, as evidenced by the Patriots success at running up the middle this season. LBs start spreading out and playing coverage rather than rushing the passer or playing inside to stop the run.

And New England just totally blows up your theory. They're having HUGE success with the dink and dunk. In fact, they are the #1 ranked offense in the NFL for both yards AND points - 440 yards/game, and 32.8 pts/game. And they've done it against the best defenses in the NFL. They absolutely torched Seattle's defense when we were ranked #1 in the NFL. And they're doing it entirely with a dink and dunk approach, using those great TEs and a bunch of fast slot WRs from a fast-paced offense where Brady just snaps the ball and gets it out quick to whoever doesn't have a man on them at the LOS, letting the receivers pick up YAC. If you watched them play, you'd see Brady throwing the ball without even dropping back, he's literally taking the snap, standing up and firing it out immediately. And defenses are just getting blown away by it, nobody seems to be able to stop them.

And the comparison between WCO and "dink and dunk" couldn't be further from the truth. WCO (at least the classic Bill Walsh and Holmgren WCOs) is a scheme based on timing routes, uses a lot of 3-step and 5-step drops and generally requires the QB to stand in the pocket for a bit. The WCO also uses the run to setup passes (dink and dunk uses short passes to setup runs, generally up the middle because LBs are spread out trying to defend against the quick LOS passes). The only way I can conceive comparing the WCO to "dink and dunk" is that the Holmgren WCO has a lot of plays designed so that a couple slot receivers are available as underneath checkdown options while another receiver or two are going deep. Holmgren's theory was that this helps to neutralize a pass rush and also spreads out the secondary, specifically, it is designed to force DBs to choose a WR to cover, leaving at least one WR open on any given play. The biggest difference here is that the WCO is relying on open receivers up-field, at least 8-10 yards deep. The dink and dunk relies on open receivers at the LOS. I think the misunderstanding in this thread is based on how Holmgren used the WCO in Seattle, where he never really had any deep threats. He tended to call a lot of plays with multiple slot receivers because that's what we had. I remember all this from listening to him while he was coaching in Seattle, he was very open about his philosophy and his WCO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1aev8ar6 said:
scutterhawk":1aev8ar6 said:
SoulfishHawk":1aev8ar6 said:
What was your point? Soulfish doesn't have an ass-ton of posts on here, it is unlikely he he has beating on ANY dead horses.
Or did you just feel like lecturing somebody?
You know what?, screw it, why don't we just start another thread, another thread, another thread, another thread, another thread.
The original OP said nothing about Flynn............NOTHING, and I was under the impression that he wanted to discuss the dink and dunk option, and would it work here.
Seems like we've had to endure the same shit over and over again, BUT, if y'all wanna grab a club and join in then knock yourself out.

OP
OP
HansGruber

HansGruber

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1w5kttdk said:
You know what?, screw it, why don't we just start another thread, another thread, another thread, another thread, another thread.
The original OP said nothing about Flynn............NOTHING, and I was under the impression that he wanted to discuss the dink and dunk option, and would it work here.
Seems like we've had to endure the same shit over and over again, BUT, if y'all wanna grab a club and join in then knock yourself out.

Yeah you've got a point. The Flynn vs Wilson thing is all over the forum, but that's kind of to be expected with a rookie QB. It was the same with Dilfer and Hass. I'm not really offended or feel like it was hijacking. Although I do understand your annoyance, it's gotten to the point where when that comes up in a thread, I just close it and don't go back.

Considering that Flynn had a lot of success running a dink and dunk during his 6-TD performance in Green Bay, it actually kind of ties into the topic though. Seems like if Seattle went to more of a dink and dunk style offense, they'd build an offense that could adapt quickly to Flynn if he needed to start. Flynn seems to excel in that sort of system.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The "dink and dunk" is phenomenal when it's clicking. It's bo-ho-horrring though (Dr Cox voice). I very much prefer a more vertical passing offense but honestly I'll gladly take whichever is working.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, if it's working, go with it. I prefer the ground and pound, and sticking with it. Mainly because of the whole time of possession thing, keeping the D fresh etc. Dink and Dunk is fine though, and beats the hell out of the run, run, pass on 3rd and long, over and over again. Sometimes it's just better to take what the defense gives you. In fact, I think they need to start using Miller a hell of a lot more. And for the love of god, NO MORE BUBBLE SCREENS :141847_bnono:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":31z9p49l said:
The "dink and dunk" is phenomenal when it's clicking. It's bo-ho-horrring though (Dr Cox voice). I very much prefer a more vertical passing offense but honestly I'll gladly take whichever is working.
I think that the bordom of the dink and dunk is why most people hate it, and I have to say, that I really don't want to see too much of it either, but if used sparingly, and you have success with it, I'm ok with it.
Just mix it up Bevel, let's see what Wilson can do with another facet, just move the chains and we'll all be happy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":y83shfwc said:
No doubt, if it's working, go with it. I prefer the ground and pound, and sticking with it. Mainly because of the whole time of possession thing, keeping the D fresh etc. Dink and Dunk is fine though, and beats the hell out of the run, run, pass on 3rd and long, over and over again. Sometimes it's just better to take what the defense gives you. In fact, I think they need to start using Miller a hell of a lot more. And for the love of god, NO MORE BUBBLE SCREENS :141847_bnono:
Bubble screens?, please don't get me started on that tangent, I don't understand why they keep going with that when it really hasn't paid off :17:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Every time they do one, I guarantee 90 percent of the Hawks fans are screaming at the TV. It rarely works, and is a truly dangerous play, way too easy to fumble.

HawkWow

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2wwdv5pm said:
SoulfishHawk":2wwdv5pm said:

Yes. I don't understand the constant need for Wilson-adoration-validation. How many people are calling for Flynn these days? God forbid this should happen, but if Wilson gets dinged and Flynn is called upon, please refuse to support the team until Wilson is again healthy. I get the impression a few of these guys are Wilson 1st, Seahawks 2nd. Kinda' creepy, actually.