Sidney Rice Drop

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Sidney Rice Drop
Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am
  • I was on an airplane during the game on my way down to Phoenix..Everyone keeps talking about this pivotal drop Rice had...I've tried to look around for the full game or a video of the drop, but can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have a video link or GIF?

thanks.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Re: Sidney Rice Drop
Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 am
  • I don't have a video, but I seem to be one of the few that doesn't believe it was a drop. It barely touched his outstretched finger tips. Just because it technically makes physical contact with you doesn't make it a drop, the throw was just a foot too far
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am
  • It wasn't really a "drop" - just a catch he 'could' have made. It looked like a poor site adjust to the ball in flight.

Would have been a nice catch either way. Sidney talked about it on 710 yesterday and he definitely feels he should have caught it.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:It wasn't really a "drop" - just a catch he 'could' have made. It looked like a poor site adjust to the ball in flight.

Would have been a nice catch either way. Sidney talked about it on 710 yesterday and he definitely feels he should have caught it.

Exactly. Wilson threw a great ball. To suggest that Wilson was at fault I think is silly. I think Rice misjudged the ball coming down and had to adjust at the last moment. He got his hands on the ball and it would have been a spectacular catch. But I think Wilson put it in the spot where it needed to be to make the completion. Rice just couldn't come down with it.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 am
  • It was not a flat-out drop. It was a tough catch, maybe Rice should have run through the pass more, but it was just a close play that didn't happen more than a drop by Sidney. Right through his fingertips.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:05 am
  • not a drop, spectacular catch if made, would like to start seeing some of those by the way... but not a drop
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:07 am
  • I stilll contend Rice changed his route, slowed up, something.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:08 am
  • Here are some snapshots
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:09 am
  • pehawk wrote:I stilll contend Rice changed his route, slowed up, something.

Yeah, something didn't look smoothe.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:10 am
  • TO woulda caught it.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 am
  • It quite possible he lost the ball in the lights/background. That's what it looked like to me.

There is no it's so and so's fault with a play of this type. A play that misses by mere inches on a throw of 40-50 yards is no one's fault.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 am
  • Wilson overthrew it. The fact Rice still nearly came up with the catch is pretty impressive.

That would have been a game changing play too.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:55 am
  • How the hell do you call that an 'over throw'?

Look at the screen grabs - two defensive backs right behind Rice. If he threw that any lighter it probably would've been picked. Great throw, decent attempt by Rice. Could've had it but he didn't. It happens.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:13 am
  • It was reported that there was a "momentary hitch" in his running stride from running too long with his head turned back to the ball. It probably cost him a half a step....just enough to make that catch.
    Bigpumpkin
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:20 am
  • That's a catch he possibly should have made but I've seen much, much worse "drops" than that play. The story of this game is not a drop by our receiver, it's all on the defense that couldn't stop the Lions on their game-winning drive at the end. Unfortunately there was not enough time for us to make a dramatic comeback of our own.

Third Down Defense. That was the story of our loss on Sunday.

"We're picking up speed. The train is coming." - Earl Thomas 11/15/14
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:27 am
  • i remember seeing Rice slow down for a brief moment for some reason while the ball was in the air. he sped back up but the damage was done. he barely missed it
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:58 am
  • Aros wrote:That's a catch he possibly should have made but I've seen much, much worse "drops" than that play. The story of this game is not a drop by our receiver, it's all on the defense that couldn't stop the Lions on their game-winning drive at the end. Unfortunately there was not enough time for us to make a dramatic comeback of our own.

Third Down Defense. That was the story of our loss on Sunday.

Exactly.

They put together a monster drive that you could tell had been masterly-planned and exectuted in a way that found every hole we had in the coverage. It was ugly for us, but really a thing of football beauty from the Lions O.
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:00 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Wilson overthrew it. The fact Rice still nearly came up with the catch is pretty impressive.

Change the record...jeez...
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:07 pm
  • MrCarey wrote:TO woulda caught it.

Nope, TO woulda run the route perfectly and been right under the ball as it came down only to drop it as it hit his hands of stone.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:27 pm
  • A ball is not overthrown when it is 1-2 inches from the WR's hands on a 40 yard bomb.

You line up every NFL QB and draw a mark on the field 40 yards down field I doubt that any of them hits your mark exactly. Many will be close but not on the exact mark so you can't say that this was overthrown.

I think it was a great route, great play and great throw - darn shame it wasn't 7 points. Long pass plays are lower percentage plays but we have shown the last three weeks the ability to execute them - a few drops (SF game) and a few inches away from a lot more of them being completed. This team will keep trying to hit these bombs and when they are all on the exact same page the percentages will go up and it will help the plays over the middle and it will help the running game.

Just so I also chime in - I think Rice turns his head to early and that makes him slowdown. The issue with that belief is that I don't know how the play was planned and practiced maybe he needed to turn his head as the ball could have come out sooner based on pressure etc - who knows it almost worked and that is what you hope for in these situations.......
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Wilson overthrew it. The fact Rice still nearly came up with the catch is pretty impressive.

This from the man who thinks QB's and WR's don't use hand signals.

We get it, you hate Wilson.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 pm
  • I don't think anyone's at fault here, it was a bang bang play that missed connecting by maybe an inch
    You're going to see that happen in any game between any QB or wideout. It might come as a shock to some here but throwing a football is NOT an exact science. You put the ball up there where you thing the receiver can get it. And/or the receiver goes to where he thinks the QB will throw it.

Blaming either player for a play that missed by an inch is sheer dumbassedness.

:141847_bnono:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:32 pm
  • If Rice makes that catch then we'd know he used stickum.

Saying he should have made that catch is like saying Willie Mays "should" have made that catch and throw. Sure Mays DID it, but that's why it's one of the amazing plays of all time.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 pm
  • Again I was in tht endzone seating and he just lunged too soon bu for our defense not blitz or get to stafford was why we lost. Looked like holgren coaching. The drunk idiot next to me says like the new jersey but can you please let us win lol. I said if stafford keeps dinking and dunking in the middle you will have you wish. Look wht happened. I was pissed we didn't finish like we started again. Like in sf.
    streets24
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 pm
  • Just saw it on nfl replay. More on Rice than Wilson. Man, Rice MUST make those plays. Damn game changer there...
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:29 pm
  • The Radish wrote:I don't think anyone's at fault here, it was a bang bang play that missed connecting by maybe an inch
    You're going to see that happen in any game between any QB or wideout. It might come as a shock to some here but throwing a football is NOT an exact science. You put the ball up there where you thing the receiver can get it. And/or the receiver goes to where he thinks the QB will throw it.

Blaming either player for a play that missed by an inch is sheer dumbassedness.

:141847_bnono:

Couldn't agree more! It was a very near connection on a low percentage play.
    Can't blame either of them.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm
  • The title to this thread is unfortunate. Because that was not a drop. It was a catchable ball that Rice should've made a play on. Rice himself said as much. Sadly this thread title only leads to ridiculous posts from patented Wilson haters of the board.

Serious, Salish. Comparing that catch to Willie Mays? Get real. Rice, along with most starting wr's in the league, make that catch at least half of the time.

And as for Hasselbeck calling it overthrown. WOW DUDE. Do you have any idea how much a caricature you have become? I don't think you have any idea just how many eye rolls your Wilson posts elicit from the members of this site. Really dude. Youre going to pull something with so much stretching, trying to prove yourself right all the time. Give it up.
    Hawkadeus
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 pm
  • Sidney Rice did not run the route completely, I believe he stopped and then went through again after waiving his hand if I am right, what the commentators said was if he had continued, he would have got the ball exactly where RW put it and with enough separation from the defender. It was a well thrown ball.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:08 pm
  • Hawkadeus wrote:The title to this thread is unfortunate. Because that was not a drop. It was a catchable ball that Rice should've made a play on. Rice himself said as much. Sadly this thread title only leads to ridiculous posts from patented Wilson haters of the board.

Serious, Salish. Comparing that catch to Willie Mays? Get real. Rice, along with most starting wr's in the league, make that catch at least half of the time.

And as for Hasselbeck calling it overthrown. WOW DUDE. Do you have any idea how much a caricature you have become? I don't think you have any idea just how many eye rolls your Wilson posts elicit from the members of this site. Really dude. Youre going to pull something with so much stretching, trying to prove yourself right all the time. Give it up.

If you read the initial post you would know that the entire reason for the thread was so that I could actually see the video for the first time. Other posts referenced it as a missed opportunity or a drop. I can change the thread to "Sidney Rice missed opportunity" but I feel that would be more ambiguous and misleading..Or "Sidney Rice's almost really nice catch"...

Anyways, back to the point....does anyone have a video link or GIF of this play?

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:35 am
  • I am not blaming either one on the play. Was a tough catch but watching Rewind Rice does get his right hand completely underneath the ball but his arm was completely outstretched. would have taken a lot of body control running full speed to bring it in. Nice seeing an offense that can make explosive quick strike plays. Offense is doing a lot better despite would people think about the 49ers game.
    Kelly.Orr
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:48 am

U say that so matter of fact like. I'm not convinced. I'm in the sight-adjusment-error crowd. Sidney himself said that was a catch he normally makes and should have had. He had plenty of reserve speed to get underneath that pass, but simply misjudged. How's that for a matter-of-fact tone? :th2thumbs:
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm
  • "I was running it down and misjudged it and didn't get my arms out there far enough," Rice told "Bob and Groz" on Monday. "That's one we would definitely like to have back – or I would."

http://mynorthwest.com/719/2005991/Improved-passing-offense-a-silver-lining-for-Seahawks
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 pm
  • The same Rice who caught the winning TD. He's by far our best WR. It looked like he slowed up just a tad. However, that ball could have a little more arc on it as well. They BOTH contributed to that miss imo.
    60 percent of the time..........it works........every time
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information