Our Secondary

jlwaters1

Reaction score
rlkats":ru5g1k1v said:
Hey hawker I remember Niners secondary stopping Detroit and winning. Soooo explain that.

They were also at HOME for that game. Seattle was on the road. Just saying. Home matters in the NFL.
(infact alot of their hardest games are at home-- Ie. Lions, Giants, , Bears-- The only challenging road game aside from Seattle is New England later on)
The 49ers really got handed by Minnesota. They lost by 11 and got destroyed by the G-Men at home. IMO the 49ers are NOT unbeatable, we can beat them. Both of their losses were by more than 2 scores. Seattle biggest lost was by a single score.

I foresee this team taking a big step forward the 2nd half of the year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawkMania":1ct85892 said:
-The Glove-":1ct85892 said:
rlkats":1ct85892 said:
Hey hawker I remember Niners secondary stopping Detroit and winning. Soooo explain that.
And I remember the Seahawks secondary stopping New England and winning.
Exactly. Stafford is no Brady. Detriot got the ball last, chewed up a bunch of clock, and our D did not come up with stop.
Yup. Our secondary isn't NOT good because they had a bad game, which I'd most likely blame on the scheme. Teams have bad games, even really good teams. I just hope the players and the coaches respond to it and fix the problems.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
If you replaced SF's backfield with our backfield they'd be an even better defense than they are. We have the best backfield in the league, handsdown imo.

How do you guys think a coaches poll would go if asked if they could choose any team's backfield?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
HawkMania":3h8qe8dm said:
-The Glove-":3h8qe8dm said:
rlkats":3h8qe8dm said:
And I remember the Seahawks secondary stopping New England and winning.
Exactly. Stafford is no Brady. Detriot got the ball last, chewed up a bunch of clock, and our D did not come up with stop.

Stafford had a better game against us than Brady did. Brady threw five passes at Seattle's secondary that either were or should have been interceptions; Stafford only threw one that I remember.

I would take Seattle's secondary all day. Richard Sherman has had elite WR's thrown at him all day and has shut down every single one of them. Browner has improved and gotten his share of picks. ET has been all over the place and would have about ten picks if he didn't have the hands of Koren Robinson. Chancellor has had a huge amount of draining hits on people.

And if you want numbers, Seattle has allowed 9 passing TD's and 7 INT's to the 49ers' to 6 and 6. Seattle has held opponent QB's to a 78.6 QB rating, San Francisco to 72.7. Seattle has allowed 23 passes of 20 yards or more through eight games, San Francisco has allowed 18. Those are very good numbers for both teams and reflects very well on both secondaries; SF has the statistical edge, but it's not really a significant one.

In the end, DVOA has us ranked as the 4th best pass defense while San Francisco is ranked 7th. Our secondary is awesome. The fact that QB's have been forced to dink-and-dunk against us is an indication that our secondary is shutting down everything downfield. The fact that those QB's have still done well is a testament to them, not a diss on our secondary. (And a statement on the youth and inexperience of our linebackers. If we have a real problem, it's there.)

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think what makes 49ers stand apart from us is the absolutely beauty in their scheming in games and making adjustments. They scheme really well and the players are adapting to their schemes. Our team being young may not be ready yet to understand all the schemes that are thrown out to them. Its always a chess game, so making adjustments and having the schemes in place for every game is critical in my mind.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'd also like to point out the 49ers secondary benefits a lot from having Willis, Bowman, and the 2 Smith's on their defense as well. I'd take our secondary over SF's, but SF's defense is superior.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Throwdown":1yci2y52 said:
I'd also like to point out the 49ers secondary benefits a lot from having Willis, Bowman, and the 2 Smith's on their defense as well. I'd take our secondary over SF's, but SF's defense is superior.

Good point Bowman and Willis are extremely talented. KJ and Wagner are also very talented, it's just they are in year's 2 and 1 in their career's. Bowman is in year 3 and Willis is in year 6 IIRC. More experience means more consistent play. I like what we've got going forward. they just need more experience.

hawker84

Reaction score
i wouldn't necessarily blame staffords success on our db's, alot of those passes were short over the middle stuff, every teams gives that up, the YAC was the problem with those... Stafford had 50+ attempts for 300 yrds if memory serves me..take away the long pass, that's less than 5 yrds per catch... you want to stop that , they would have to play a different scheme.. the last td pass i put on browner.. you cannot give up the middle slant on the goal line, that was bad.

did they have a great game, not even close by their standards, did niners db have a great game against the vikes, giants.. it happens... if you look at all 8 games, and i don't know the stats, i think you will find seattle db's are more cosistant as far as not giving up big plays and td's. JMO but i would take our unit as a whole over anybody's in the league..

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Want to touch on a few points.

For one, I think the 49ers D, specifically the pass D, played a great game against the Giants. Eli and Hixon connected on two throws of 39 and 16 yards there were literally undefendable. Just unbelievable throws and catches. Even that TD to Cruz was phenomenal. Not too many players could defend that.

Besides that drive, the 49ers only gave up one other TD- a drive the Giants started in the 49ers redone after a turnover. The rest was 4 field goals, and even then the Giants had great field position all game.

Eli finished with these stats: 15/28 193 1 TD 0 INT 87.4 Passer Rating

Thought the 49ers secondary played lights out. The Giants even had a good running game going, so the threat of play action was there. Wasn't like they were anticipating pass the whole game, had to help out on the run.

BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC

My opinion is kind of a paradox. For one, I think the Seahawks have younger, physically gifted talent players, which renders LoB as the most talented secondary in the league. But, I would still take the 49ers. If I had to choose an All Star secondary between these two teams, I'd pick:

FS: I'd take Dashon Goldson. It is well documented that I think Earl Thomas is one of the best defensive players in the game. But Goldson is the center point of not only 49ers secondary, but the entire Defense. He plays the run better than anyone, and has been amazing in coverage all year.

Corners: I'd take both Sherman and Browner individually over the 49ers corners based on their talent. But, Rogers and Brown's saviness is not far behind.

SS: Wash. Whitner has played well. I hear Kam Chancellor hasn't been really a presence. Still have respect for him as a monster, prototypical SS, but Whitner is good player.

I think the 49ers, as of right now, are a better unit, but that's just based on experience. Rogers, Brown, Goldson, and Whitner have all started for over 5 years.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":2icolaq7 said:
Want to touch on a few points.

For one, I think the 49ers D, specifically the pass D, played a great game against the Giants. Eli and Hixon connected on two throws of 39 and 16 yards there were literally undefendable. Just unbelievable throws and catches. Even that TD to Cruz was phenomenal. Not too many players could defend that.

Besides that drive, the 49ers only gave up one other TD- a drive the Giants started in the 49ers redone after a turnover. The rest was 4 field goals, and even then the Giants had great field position all game.

Eli finished with these stats: 15/28 193 1 TD 0 INT 87.4 Passer Rating

Thought the 49ers secondary played lights out. The Giants even had a good running game going, so the threat of play action was there. Wasn't like they were anticipating pass the whole game, had to help out on the run.

BACK TO THE THREAD TOPIC

My opinion is kind of a paradox. For one, I think the Seahawks have younger, physically gifted talent players, which renders LoB as the most talented secondary in the league. But, I would still take the 49ers. If I had to choose an All Star secondary between these two teams, I'd pick:

FS: I'd take Dashon Goldson. It is well documented that I think Earl Thomas is one of the best defensive players in the game. But Goldson is the center point of not only 49ers secondary, but the entire Defense. He plays the run better than anyone, and has been amazing in coverage all year.

Corners: I'd take both Sherman and Browner individually over the 49ers corners based on their talent. But, Rogers and Brown's saviness is not far behind.

SS: Wash. Whitner has played well. I hear Kam Chancellor hasn't been really a presence. Still have respect for him as a monster, prototypical SS, but Whitner is good player.

I think the 49ers, as of right now, are a better unit, but that's just based on experience. Rogers, Brown, Goldson, and Whitner have all started for over 5 years.

Good, fair analysis. We need more of you's around here.