Would the dink and dunk work in Seattle?

HansGruber

Reaction score
So far, it looks like the only offensive scheme that works against the Seattle defense is the "dink-and-dunk" - lots of short passes at the line etc, to move the ball 5-6 yards a down. And if you look around the NFL, it seems like that's what is working best everywhere. New England is a great example.

So with a rookie QB and no WRs or TEs that seem capable of getting separation, wouldn't the "dink-and-dunk" seem to make some sense in Seattle? Maybe with a lot of hurry-up no-huddle to keep opponent defenses off-balance? We need to start sustaining drives, and our offense appears totally unable to do that this season.

NorCal

Reaction score
Funny how you call the West Coast Offense the "dink-and-dunk".

HawkWow

Reaction score
I think it was this that divided this forum regarding Wilson and Flynn. To me, I think Flynn is more adept at a dink and dunk WCO, type offense. I also felt that other than Rice, our receivers were more of that mold as well. I was personally frustrated watching Pete put Wilson in situations where it seemed likely Flynn would do better. That said, this is a new league and I will be the first to say I feel Wilson offers more than Flynn, as long as Pete lets him improvise (but I don't think there is much room for improvisation in a true WCO). As soon as Wilson starts hitting those underneath patterns and slants consistantly, I think this offense is going to be very hard to gameplan for and I assume Pete has some sort've schizo WCO in the works. I'm likin' it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The dink-and-dunk is not an offensive scheme. It's a failure for the offense, and a settling compromise for when their opponent takes away everything past 15 yards (or for when your QB lacks the requisite arm strength to threaten at deeper ranges). Forcing an offense to dink-and-dunk is usually quoted as a defensive strategy for stopping elite quarterbacks, because it requires said quarterback to repeatedly make quick, accurate throws into very tight windows and string together drives of 15 or more plays doing it. That increases the chance of a turnover by increasing the fatigue of the offense, manifesting in concentration failures like, oh I dunno, throwing a bad-decision interception to Earl Thomas or a wide-open #1 receiver dropping an easy TD pass. Have we seen that lately?

Only the elite quarterbacks can handle the pressure of a constant dink-and-dunk offense. It's not a desirable strategy at all. The fact that Seattle succeeded in forcing Detroit into it was a victory for our defense, even if there are improvements to be made.

HawkWow

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3544mbjk said:
The dink-and-dunk is not an offensive scheme. It's a failure for the offense, and a settling compromise for when their opponent takes away everything past 15 yards (or for when your QB lacks the requisite arm strength to threaten at deeper ranges). Forcing an offense to dink-and-dunk is usually quoted as a defensive strategy for stopping elite quarterbacks, because it requires said quarterback to repeatedly make quick, accurate throws into very tight windows and string together drives of 15 or more plays doing it. That increases the chance of a turnover by increasing the fatigue of the offense, manifesting in concentration failures like, oh I dunno, throwing a bad-decision interception to Earl Thomas or a wide-open #1 receiver dropping an easy TD pass. Have we seen that lately?

Only the elite quarterbacks can handle the pressure of a constant dink-and-dunk offense. It's not a desirable strategy at all. The fact that Seattle succeeded in forcing Detroit into it was a victory for our defense, even if there are improvements to be made.

Solid points. The a-hole that has / had his name most often tied to this style of play had receivers named Rice and Taylor. That inspired his many students to continue on with the plan, but they didn't have receivers named Rice and Taylor. This is why I am hopeful Pete has some sort've of alternate plan. Apparently he does, and it apparently starts with Russell Wilson.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Wilson has played both West Coast offense and more play action style offense in college between NC State and Wisconsin--he's perfectly comfortable with both.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Just watch Ponder this weekend, then tell me if you want a lot more dink and dunk.

Tical21

Reaction score
The problem is that when your running game is way more efficient than your passing game, the defense comes forward. They press the outside receivers, do everything they can to take away the quick and easy stuff, and dare you to beat them down the field. The "dink-and-dunk" game isn't available until Wilson proves he can burn teams down the field. Then the safeties have to stay on top, the corners have to respect the deeper routes, and the underneath stuff opens up. You have seen guys like Brady and Brees come full circle. When they started, they were crowded. Then, for a few years they made teams pay for this by throwing the deep ball. A few years later, teams adjusted and took that away, leaving the underneath stuff open. Now they just take whatever the defense gives them. If you crowd them, they'll hurt you deep. If you take that away, they'll rip you apart underneath. Right now, Wilson is still in phase one. He has a ways to go until the dink-and-dunk game will be effective for him.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Yes it would work. But why? We have Lynch and Turbin both good backs. We are weak at receiver

manders2600

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3uw8al8d said:

10+ play drives also tend to fatigue the defense, which sets up the run in the second half of games.

It is true that a team needs a QB and receivers capable of executing this type of attack. However, quick, short passes also take pressure off the offensive line, and these are higher-percentage throws than the deep ball.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
manders2600":jxkkxruj said:
10+ play drives also tend to fatigue the defense, which sets up the run in the second half of games.

It is true that a team needs a QB and receivers capable of executing this type of attack. However, quick, short passes also take pressure off the offensive line, and these are higher-percentage throws than the deep ball.

They may be higher-percentage, but a lot more of them have to be made than deep balls.

Also, quick passing games aren't exactly the same thing as dink-and-dunk. Quick passes can still be 10-15 yards and merely involve the QB getting the ball out to a receiver whose timing will have him right where he needs to. Dink-and-dunk might just involve repeatedly losing your deeper routes and settling for what's underneath.

Stafford had a lot of the latter Sunday night, IIRC. He held onto the ball quite a bit, indicating that the shorter routes weren't really the intention. Then he'd go for the underneath stuff and our zones would prove not to be a little too big.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HansGruber":1h8tcnkm said:
So far, it looks like the only offensive scheme that works against the Seattle defense is the "dink-and-dunk" - lots of short passes at the line etc, to move the ball 5-6 yards a down. And if you look around the NFL, it seems like that's what is working best everywhere. New England is a great example.

So with a rookie QB and no WRs or TEs that seem capable of getting separation, wouldn't the "dink-and-dunk" seem to make some sense in Seattle? Maybe with a lot of hurry-up no-huddle to keep opponent defenses off-balance? We need to start sustaining drives, and our offense appears totally unable to do that this season.

Early in the season fans were complaining Russell Wilson was "dinking-and-dunking" and not taking shots down field. Now we are throwing long and people want "dink-and-dunk".....confusing.

themunn

Reaction score
You need consistent WR's for the short passing game - if you go out on first down and throw a 5 yard pass, then on second down it's incomplete, you're left with an undesirable 3rd and 5 situation.

I'd prefer if we had a 40/40/20 split between running the ball, throwing it deep and throwing it short, particularly on first down.
Such a strategy would keep defenses honest, and as such mismatches would occur all over the field leading to big gains in all 3 areas

Basis4day

Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Many on this board were frustrated by dink and dunk and checkdowns early in the season... now it's what you want?

The second we start doing this, you will complain about the lack of chunk plays.

I'm starting to think that many will complain no matter what we do.

hawker84

Reaction score
i'm not seeing where our offense is a huge problem, we're moving the ball , cutting down on penalties, scoring td's , we're appearing to be getting better every week, not sure what you guys are looking for, we went down and scored a 4th qtr td last week for a win, and th D took a big dump... i would like to see the play calling mixed up a bit, and stop running on every 1st down, or every 3rd and long, but the offense is definately improving... just need to get better on 3rd downs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":220rxsj4 said:

Not if that's all you do,,It is just another gismo in the bag of tricks that the QB's can use to move the ball.
I don't believe that, by itself, it can be a sustainable plan of attack, because Defenses play your tendencies.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, for a lot of fans, it will never be good enough w/Wilson, they have already decided they want Flynn etc. I was thinking about how before the season a lot of ppl were saying they would be happy with 4-4 considering our schedule. Now it seems like a ton of ppl are pissed off about that exact record. It just is whining for the sake of whining imo.

NorCal

Reaction score
HawkWow":10xsaifc said:
MontanaHawk05":10xsaifc said:

Solid points. The a-hole that has / had his name most often tied to this style of play had receivers named Rice and Taylor. That inspired his many students to continue on with the plan, but they didn't have receivers named Rice and Taylor. This is why I am hopeful Pete has some sort've of alternate plan. Apparently he does, and it apparently starts with Russell Wilson.

Bill Walsh won 2 Super Bowls before Jerry Rice was even drafted. Just felt like I had to point that out to you.