I Hope Our D (AND Bradley!) Is Watching San Fran's Tonight

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
rainger":2wp5rwcj said:
We do just fine for two downs with attack and every third and long Bradley puts us in soft zone abandons the man coverage and the good QB's pick apart the holes in the zone.

Yep.

For some reason Bradley (or Carroll.. whoever) takes the foot off the gas on 3rd and long. I get that blitzing can leave you open for a big play if it doesn't get there in time, but having the QB get 8 seconds to throw doesn't help either.

Case in point, Stafford's first TD to Titus Young..

drdiags

Reaction score
Though the Seahawks have a much more aggressive defensive playing style from the Holmgren days, they just seem paralyzed with fear of the big play. Same with the offense making the big mistake. Yet both units have given them up so is the caution worth the lost opportunity?

I always get lost when folks talk about the QB needing to trust his WRs but it is my opinion that Pete is trying to minimize silly mental lapses due to inexperience/youth and by holding on so tight, puts his players into the mind set of disciplined play above all else. As he grows to trust his core players and they in turn trust one another, the leash will loosen. Just idle speculation on my part but would have loved sitting in the meeting where he, John and Paul laid out the vision of what it would take to get to a Superbowl contending team.

There's a method to his madness and I think the playing style of both the defense and offense changes over time as he and his players get to the next level of what he envisions for this team. How close is the team to his expectations? That is something I would like to know without the coach speak.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":r3kz3lqk said:
I think it has a lot to do with opponent. I think we saw almost all of what you're talking about from our defense, on the road, at Carolina. Our D was physically and mentally dominating the Panthers that day.

I would say our D also was just as dominating against Skelton and the Cards as the 49ers were. It wasnt until Kolb came in taht they really moved the ball on us.

Lastly, i would say that success breeds swagger and intensity. If youre getting your ass kicked all over the field like we were against Detroit yesterday youre not going to see the D amped up like they were when they were kicking Carolina's ass all over the field.

I think the genesis of this thread is rooted in precisely what you're talking about, J.

First off, we still have a very, very good defense. No, it's not quite on par with San Francisco's defense yet, but the SF defense is more seasoned by far, so that plays into it. And it's probably better coached.

But consider that our defense did pretty damn well against Arizona in Week 1, and it fell apart when Kolb came in (and if I recall correctly, we started playing zone). As it turns out, stopping the Arizona offense really shouldn't be too complicated. SF performed better at that job than we did for a couple of reasons... they got the Cards in the middle of the season after the unpredictability of Week 1 was long gone, and they've got a better pass rush.

And now SF's performance on D is compounded by the fact that our D just laid a bit of an egg in Detroit. When lining those two games up side by side, all of a sudden you get the big "OMG our D is light-years behind the SF D!" type of posts, but it's not an appropriate comparison. The 49ers were playing a struggling Cards team while we were playing a desperate Lions team (again, a playoff team from last season) with a much, MUCH better offense.

Accounting for opponent, our defense isn't as far behind SF's as Week 8 made it seem. We've seen the Seattle defense put up stellar performances this season, both on the road and at home (though home is better, obviously). And I fully expect further stellar performances from them, with continued efforts to improve the pass rush and correct the 3rd down snafus.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I finally took some time to watch the first half of the Lions game.... I have to say, our defense definitely looked like they were asleep....listless and a half step slow in their thinking as well as their actual movements.

drdiags

Reaction score
I agree with Vols take of the state of the defenses. Sometimes it is when you play a team. You get more tape, injuries occur and struggling teams rebound while hot teams cool off. Folks look at how the Lions got beat by the 9ers earlier, how they should have lost at home to the Rams and think that was the same team we played on Sunday. But what about the win the Lions had against the Eagles in Philly.

Folks are looking at the Jets and how they got dominated by the 9ers and figure they should be a peace of cake in a week. You set yourself up for a letdown. If you look at the Vikings vs Tampa, you figure the Vikings will have a big problem passing. May not be reality.

The Packers, Patriots and Cowboys could be totally different results if played later in the season. All teams are evolving as the season progresses (either positively or negatively). Cardinals looked bad last night but I would put it out of my mind when the Seahawks play them.

VaSfan4life

Reaction score
drdiags":3aa2sl6t said:
I agree with Vols take of the state of the defenses. Sometimes it is when you play a team. You get more tape, injuries occur and struggling teams rebound while hot teams cool off. Folks look at how the Lions got beat by the 9ers earlier, how they should have lost at home to the Rams and think that was the same team we played on Sunday. But what about the win the Lions had against the Eagles in Philly.

Folks are looking at the Jets and how they got dominated by the 9ers and figure they should be a peace of cake in a week. You set yourself up for a letdown. If you look at the Vikings vs Tampa, you figure the Vikings will have a big problem passing. May not be reality.

The Packers, Patriots and Cowboys could be totally different results if played later in the season. All teams are evolving as the season progresses (either positively or negatively). Cardinals looked bad last night but I would put it out of my mind when the Seahawks play them.

VaSfan4life

Reaction score
drdiags":2twu4yt0 said:

so by your logic we shouldn't count our Loss to the Viking because they were playing better then than they are now... and you guys are getting a much easier game at home against a struggling team.. while we had to go to the Vikings house to play and up and coming team...

Sounds ridiculous... its the NFL we can't pick and chose who we play and when we get to play them we just play them when the date comes

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":3ivsaoon said:
I finally took some time to watch the first half of the Lions game.... I have to say, our defense definitely looked like they were asleep....listless and a half step slow in their thinking as well as their actual movements.

I didn't see that. I saw a defensive that went into the game with the game plan of having a safety in the box to take away the run, playing man on man on the outside, and soft zone in the middle.

The fatal flaw with this gameplan was our D Line getting ZERO pressure on Stafford, which allowed his TE's and slot receiver (Young) to get open often.

Then we had to send blitzers to get pressure, which meant more open space in the middle. Thus the snowball effect of giving up 350 yards passing and three passing TD's.

Moral of the story? Our defense is average at best if our front four D linemen can't get pressure on the QB.

drdiags

Reaction score
VaSfan4life":1nx63wi3 said:
so by your logic we shouldn't count our Loss to the Viking because they were playing better then than they are now... and you guys are getting a much easier game at home against a struggling team.. while we had to go to the Vikings house to play and up and coming team...

Sounds ridiculous... its the NFL we can't pick and chose who we play and when we get to play them we just play them when the date comes

Not at all. Not trying to minimize anything your sacred 9ers are doing. Speaking only about my team that I care about. I am saying that I do not judge how my team plays against a common opponent against the greatness that is the 9ers. Please just go away. I care nothing about your team nor do I fear them, envy them, hate your coach or the players. So don't put words in my mouth. You are a legend in your own mind.

You are looking for a sleight and none was intended. I only care about my team not yours. Okay. And I would never discredit another team's accomplishment just to feel good about my own team. Are we clear now?

seahawks08

Reaction score
Teams figure out schemes when we are half way through, they have enough tape and footage to see what works and what doesn't. Our schemes should always outplay the opponents, that's the point. I think last year we had a good run the last half, I am sure Seahawks will make the adjustments and move forward full steam. A young team feeds off the home team advantage, we have a young team, that's why our away games are not getting the wins for now. As many people pointed out, experience comes only through play time and the number of games played. Just watching RW grow in each of these games makes me feel the team will grow around him. I am still stoked for this season and hopefully make the playoffs.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Hawksfan515:

Did you really need to create a new thread to call me out on this comment.

I'm just tired of seeing a lack of in game adjustments from him

Really? Who the hell should I blame then? Does Bradley not make the playcalls? This isn't the first time I've said this. I haven't been on this forum for long but I've always wondered why we always got beat by TE's and RB's with short passes down the middle. This is nothing new.

And give me a break with the "this is a product of losing". Like I said, I've been saying this for years. So instead of crying like a little girl because I offended you for attacking Bradley, and come up with a decent response.

I also blamed PC, so don't act like I'm only focusing on Bradley. I've been noticing lately that Carroll's get to caught up in the moment and gets outcoached.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
VaSfan4life":25nw03ej said:
drdiags":25nw03ej said:

Speaking of sounds ridiculous. Read your post. This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board. You totally misread what the poster said and the thing just reads like a big whine-fest, when he was really saying that week to week the circumstances change.