Finally Competitive

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Finally Competitive
Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:58 am
  • I know there is a lot of hand wringing and angst about the recent 2 game slide and 4-4 start. We have been inconsistent (as most near .500 teams are) but one thing that has improved from the last few years is the teams competitive balance on the road and in loss.

The first couple Carroll era years were dotted with blowout losses, both home and on the road. However, aswe look at this season, all four losses have come down to the last drive, all within one score. Our big wins over signature teams have also been tight, hard fought competitive games.

This is new to Carrolls Seahawks and something I believe signals the true direction of the team. Carroll recently came out and said the team was "so close to 8-0" . Its been inconsistency from younger players that have attributed to those losses. But the lessons learned hopefully can help us. To turning those into wins in the second half and into next season.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Re: Finally Competitive
Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:05 am
  • I agree completely, we look poised for a great stretch of winning seasons. A little more maturity and development, some more experience and confidence...and we are there I think. I think we really start to kick it into gear- consistently- in the next 10-20 games. And then we'll be there as long as we can retain, restock, and reload talent.
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Rookie

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:05 am
  • what i would give to be 8-0..
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:08 am
  • Pstark3 wrote:what i would give to be 8-0..

Next year, with an improved offense and holes patched on defense, you might not have to say that. This team is indeed about four plays from 8-0, as weird as that sounds.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:18 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Pstark3 wrote:what i would give to be 8-0..

Next year, with an improved offense and holes patched on defense, you might not have to say that. This team is indeed about four plays from 8-0, as weird as that sounds.

If were 4 plays from being 8-0, then why couldnt we also be contenders this year? Put us up against any team in the playoffs and I think it would come down to the last drive
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:11 am
  • Just as the Offense seems to be coming around, the 'D' play appears to be sagging just a bit. Not really with the underneath stuff as that has been a problem from the beginning, but with giving up TD's and uncharacteristic blown coverage on big plays. I'm counting on home games and the bye week to bail us out and get us back on track.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:37 am
  • HawKnPeppa wrote:Just as the Offense seems to be coming around, the 'D' play appears to be sagging just a bit. Not really with the underneath stuff as that has been a problem from the beginning, but with giving up TD's and uncharacteristic blown coverage on big plays. I'm counting on home games and the bye week to bail us out and get us back on track.

Well at least now we know both our Offense and defense are more than capable of being great. Now we need to have them both be great consistantly. If we do that, who can stop us?
    Pstark3
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:38 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I know there is a lot of hand wringing and angst about the recent 2 game slide and 4-4 start. We have been inconsistent (as most near .500 teams are) but one thing that has improved from the last few years is the teams competitive balance on the road and in loss.

The first couple Carroll era years were dotted with blowout losses, both home and on the road. However, aswe look at this season, all four losses have come down to the last drive, all within one score. Our big wins over signature teams have also been tight, hard fought competitive games.

This is new to Carrolls Seahawks and something I believe signals the true direction of the team. Carroll recently came out and said the team was "so close to 8-0" . Its been inconsistency from younger players that have attributed to those losses. But the lessons learned hopefully can help us. To turning those into wins in the second half and into next season.

This is true. However I get tired of hearing that 'so close to 8-0' argument. This team is equally as close to being 1-7.

The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve.
    heyu123
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:06 am
  • "The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve."

Well, what "we" deserve is an undefeated season followed by a Super Bowl win :roll:
    Why is it when I try to come off as a smart ass, the opposite happens? :-(
    grizbob
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:32 am
  • against Pittsburgh.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 am
  • grizbob wrote:"The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve."

Well, what "we" deserve is an undefeated season followed by a Super Bowl win :roll:

I think we deserved a Super Bowl win with the 2005 team, not with this one. Maybe I'm being too greedy, but I'd rather be a dominant team and win the Super Bowl than a #6 seed that benefits from lousy officiating. The celebration after a disputed win is not nearly as satisfying (i.e. Green Bay game)
    usc17hawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 am
  • usc17hawk wrote:
    grizbob wrote:"The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve."

I think we deserved a Super Bowl win with the 2005 team, not with this one. Maybe I'm being too greedy, but I'd rather be a dominant team and win the Super Bowl than a #6 seed that benefits from lousy officiating. The celebration after a disputed win is not nearly as satisfying (i.e. Green Bay game)

There is no dispute about the Green Bay game. We won it and have moved on to the rest of the season. (As has GB, I'm guessing.)
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 am
  • Sarlacc83 wrote:
    usc17hawk wrote:
    grizbob wrote:"The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve."

There is no dispute about the Green Bay game. We won it and have moved on to the rest of the season. (As has GB, I'm guessing.)

In the same way that Pittsburgh has moved on from Super Bowl XL?
    usc17hawk
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 am
  • usc17hawk wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:
    usc17hawk wrote:[quote="grizbob"]"The record of 4-4 right now is an accurate portrayal of what they deserve."

In the same way that Pittsburgh has moved on from Super Bowl XL?[/quote]
    You think they're losing any sleep over what we think?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:42 am
  • The closer we get, the more impatient I get. So close you can taste it. If we just fix this, that and the other we are there syndrome. The direction is good, the type of team most wanted is being created, it's the waiting for it all to come together part that is hard sometimes. Rebuilds are tough to go through as a fan.
    Shane Falco
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:42 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information