I Hope Our D (AND Bradley!) Is Watching San Fran's Tonight

JSeahawks

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2u2fs6pn said:
kmedic":2u2fs6pn said:
Carroll doesn't call the blitzes or pressures during the game. I'm sure he is heavily involved in designing the plays as well as deciding on personnel packages. However, I don't think he's calling a blitz into Wagner's headset, that's Bradley's job. Bradley was also doing that when Mora was here as well. To my very limited eye, it appears that Bradley starts every game out very conservative, no matter the opponent. He'll only rush 4, even on third and longs, until at least the 2nd quarter. Only then do I start seeing some exotic blitzes, which increase as the game goes along. Now, that's not necessarily a bad philosophy to have in general. But I do think that against some teams you need to come out aggressive from the beginning. You can't be so predictable.

Pittsburgh is a team that seems the opposite to me. There are games when I see them blitzing from the first snap from every direction on seemingly every down. Their ability to be unpredictable is what has kept them elite for so long IMO. They don't necessarily have better talent than our defense, but they damn sure have a better play caller.

Well. The Carroll/Bradley defensive authorship question is an important and interesting one to me. I dont have the answer. I dont think anyone here does either. But it seems when our defense is achieving I see Carroll routinely praised. When our defense shows flaws I see Bradley criticized.

As to your observations. The way we have started games 'scheme wise' has been perfect in my mind. We have scored first and had the lead in 8 of 8 games this year.

I mostly agree with you on this and about the blame going to Bradley and the praise going to Carroll, but Bradley has been getting quite a bit of praise here this year as well. In the last couple of weeks there have been a few threads talking about him as a future head coach, i'm assuming because of the work he's done with our defense.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not an X's and O's guy. Never have been, never will. I respect the opinions of those here that are because I know they have put the time and intelligence in to understand schemes and levels of breaking down plays that I simply will never understand. What I do understand is chemistry and intensity. This team is oozing the former and has brilliant - but fleeting - sparks of the latter. I may not understand terminology or schemes but I have excellent vision for when my team plays with that fierce competitive level of intensity. We've seen our defense play that way at home, but too often (regardless of what Era/Coach/System/Players in place) on the road, they simply don't bring that same level of intensity like we saw the 49ers do tonight on the road.

Why is that?

It can't be just pass rush. There's got to be more to it than that. Certainly, having a dominant pass rush makes everybody's job on defense that much easier, I get that, but there's more of a psychological layer here that I'm trying to define and I'll be damned if I can't pin-point it 36 years later.

It's not like they are walking out to the games on the road with their heads down. Anybody watching Inside The Seahawks each week can see how fired up Robinson and Bryant and some others are getting their fellow teammates. ("Who's got my back!" (("I've got your back!!")) "Who's got my back!" (("I've got your back!!")) "Who's got my back!" (("I've got your back!!")) and so on... And yet, 8 times out of 10 on the road, there's this collective, fire, intensity, DESIRE to beat the man opposite you...Missing.

We all know this defense has SICK potential. Not just decent, but SICK potential. To be even better than the 49ers defense one day. Our secondary is second-to-none. Big, physical beasts that usually like to lay the wood.

I'll definitely agree that scheme and lack of a consistent pass rush is part of the problem. But there's another element and that's WILL. No matter the obstacle, the opponent, the innate desire in each and every player suiting up for us to salivate to get out there and DRILL their opponent into submission. One of my neighbors said to me today..."The Seahawks defense simply looked like they didn't want to be there."

That's a problem. And one I hope is fixed sooner rather than later.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think it has a lot to do with opponent. I think we saw almost all of what you're talking about from our defense, on the road, at Carolina. Our D was physically and mentally dominating the Panthers that day.

I would say our D also was just as dominating against Skelton and the Cards as the 49ers were. It wasnt until Kolb came in taht they really moved the ball on us.

Lastly, i would say that success breeds swagger and intensity. If youre getting your ass kicked all over the field like we were against Detroit yesterday youre not going to see the D amped up like they were when they were kicking Carolina's ass all over the field.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
JSeahawks":xzkvxo19 said:
I think it has a lot to do with opponent. I think we saw almost all of what you're talking about from our defense, on the road, at Carolina. Our D was physically and mentally dominating the Panthers that day.

I would say our D also was just as dominating against Skelton and the Cards as the 49ers were. It wasnt until Kolb came in taht they really moved the ball on us.

So those two games would count for the 8 out of the 10 I mentioned then. Great, now I might as well not even watch the last three away games. :lol:

kmedic

Reaction score
I definitely agree that mental focus and intensity has a lot to do with success, and sure a lot of that goes on the players but I think the coaches can help create "intensity" by knowing when to be aggressive and when to dial it down on the play calling. I think that Carroll and Bradley have too much faith in just rushing their front four, particularly on the road. IMO there needs to be not only more blitzes and pressures but they also need to come
at unpredictable times. There is a definite chess match that goes on every Sunday between offensive and defensive coordinators. I think Bradley (or whoever is calling the plays for us) is not doing a very good job in that aspect. I will say that there have been some brilliant games called though in the Carroll era. The one that comes to mind is the Chicago game two years ago when we sacked Cutler 8 times. That was a game where blitzes and pressure seemingly came from every direction almost every down. We even had a sack for a safety! It was a masterpiece of creating pressure with a front 7 that wasn't nearly as talented as the front 7 we have this year. That proves that intragame coaching and calling the right plays can make a difference.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2uwzapbr said:
Hawkadeus":2uwzapbr said:
bestfightstory":2uwzapbr said:
I just don't understand how this board attributes any defensive success to Carroll and any defensive failure to Bradley.

Maybe its not always the same people. if so, it's schizoid.

I don't see that at all. Gus Bradley was getting a lot of credit around here earlier in the season.

From reading you on this board, you seem to key in on posters who you vehemently disagree with and gloss over the rest. At least thats how your posts come off. That might be why you think this.

Once again, its the White Knight. Hey, man. You have no idea who on this board I have relationships with and what the nature of those relationships are. Your analysis of me is worthless. And quite unwelcome.

Again with the "You don't know who you're talking to" bullying? Give it a rest, guy. I get it. You think you're above reproach and some sort of deity. That's cute. I however don't care who you are or who you know. I judge everyone I read based off their posts and contribution to the board. Not who's grandson you are. So far, all I've seen from you is taunting your own fans, ripping people for thinking different than you, intimidation tactics, oh, and you getting banned for doing said things. Give me a break, dude. Focus on the Hawks, get over this you feeling the need to tell off other posters every time you dont agree with them. And yes, I have done it to you. Funny how you can't take your own medicine.

As for your intitial comment. Are you new or something? Since the dawn of time, offensive and defensive coordinators have been the go to scape goat for a team's struggles over the head coach. Because it's a lot easier to say "we need to replace that one assistant!" than it is begin the discussion of replacing your head coach/starting everything over. It's the same reason qb's get an inordinate amount of blame. Easier to think it's one guy holding you back, as opposed to many. A football fan of your status knows this. And only acts otherwise when criticising others on a message board for saying things they do not agree with. Come on, man.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think the 49ers took their manhood a little bit that Thursday night. Might take a bit to get it back.

hawker84

Reaction score
as good as the 49ers looked tonight on D, and let it be clear, they are good on D, one thing to keep in mind is, Skelton is HORRENDIOUS, they,re O line is not good, 7 yards rushing, 7? as good as they are , and that was a great performance on the road, take nothing away from the whiners, that was a very bad offense from top to bottom tonight.... skelton is possibly the worst QB in the league, talk about errant passes from RW, good lord did you see some of those throws.....

mikeak

Reaction score
Funny my take-away was very different. During and after the game I was thinking about how during the first half the Seahawks OFFENSE were dominating that 49ers great defense. Tons of perfectly played long balls and the only hung stopping 21 pts on the board were droops and a no-call PI. So I am going to sleep feeling great about Seahawks offense from the past two weeks and knowing the defense will be back soon....

kearly

Reaction score
Our team played Arizona in wacky week 1 before their carriage turned into a pumpkin. Thank the schedule makers for that.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":ts9zm1yt said:
bestfightstory":ts9zm1yt said:
GeekHawk":ts9zm1yt said:
Because we saw nothing but defensive fails when it was Bradley/Mora, and way more success when it became Bradley/Carroll? And yet we still get to watch the same old pre-Carroll soft zone on 3rd and long giving it up easier than a two-dollar hooker?

Well, lets both assume you are only speaking for yourself when you say 'we' but doesn't Pete have some ownership for the failings on third and long or is that exclusively Bradley's department?

I don't think it's Bradleys department one bit. Pete runs the defense, just like he did at USC.
This is not correct. At USC Pete called the defensive plays. He's not doing that in Seattle.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
sc85sis":ny8gb2gu said:
Tech Worlds":ny8gb2gu said:
bestfightstory":ny8gb2gu said:
GeekHawk said:
Because we saw nothing but defensive fails when it was Bradley/Mora, and way more success when it became Bradley/Carroll? And yet we still get to watch the same old pre-Carroll soft zone on 3rd and long giving it up easier than a two-dollar hooker?

Well, lets both assume you are only speaking for yourself when you say 'we' but doesn't Pete have some ownership for the failings on third and long or is that exclusively Bradley's department?

I don't think it's Bradleys department one bit. Pete runs the defense, just like he did at USC.
This is not correct. At USC Pete called the defensive plays. He's not doing that in Seattle.

How do you know this? Honestly I want to know. Is there a link or something where I can find it?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1zl2usue said:
Irvin & Clemons <<<< Smith & Smith

Yep, that's a good start. That's how they consistently get it done with the front four. Then we move to the linebackers, who are bigger, just as athletic and more physical...not to mention BETTER in pass coverage. Wagner and KJ come within shouting distance, but Hill can't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Our guys can go a long way by continuing to hone their skils with experience and playing with a bit more gap discipline, but SF's horses (especially on the DL) are better. Irvin has a high-motor and is fast, but that advantage is mostly nullified away from home. Irvin would do well to pack some more muscle on his frame, and there's actually a lot of room for that. Clemons is much more of a total package than Irvin right now, but he can't consistently get home without any help.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3bepmkgc said:
bestfightstory":3bepmkgc said:
GeekHawk":3bepmkgc said:

Can you confirm this with a link .... or is it just your opinion? Im curious.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1flolllu said:
sc85sis":1flolllu said:
Tech Worlds":1flolllu said:

How do you know this? Honestly I want to know. Is there a link or something where I can find it?

I remember an interview around the season's beginning where Pete said he has to resist the urge to call the defensive plays and leave it to Gus. But he does over rule Gus sometimes.

It's Pete's D. Anyone blaming Gus is being thick. Ultimately, who gave gus his job?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Youth has to be part of the explanation. The 49ers have a veteran unit across the board, and we have a bunch of young guns. The former is likely better at maintaining discipline and focus. Also, I think our defense gets in a "play not to lose" mindset once in awhile.

Rainger

Reaction score
Aros":2am0r0eb said:
That, my friends, is what I expected OUR defense to look like on the road. The intensity, the big hits...WTF has happened to our guys??

I really want to know. The drop off has been profound over the past month.

It pains me to be envious about the 49ers but galldang! THAT is how you play defense ON THE ROAD!!

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!!

Please boys, take notes. Get pissed. Whatever it takes. I know you have the talent to do it.

JUST. DO. IT.
We do just fine for two downs with attack and every third and long Bradley puts us in soft zone abandons the man coverage and the good QB's pick apart the holes in the zone.

Latest posts