I Hope Our D (AND Bradley!) Is Watching San Fran's Tonight

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That, my friends, is what I expected OUR defense to look like on the road. The intensity, the big hits...WTF has happened to our guys??

I really want to know. The drop off has been profound over the past month.

It pains me to be envious about the 49ers but galldang! THAT is how you play defense ON THE ROAD!!

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!!

Please boys, take notes. Get pissed. Whatever it takes. I know you have the talent to do it.

JUST. DO. IT.

djb28

Reaction score
The Packer game seems like a lifetime ago, Doesn't it?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I think its more than just the players pass rushing. You see all of SF's stunts and alignment changes they do? They switch it up often and get creative. While we just walk up to the line and try a bull rush. Although I did see Clemons with a nice inside spin move, but the OL played it perfectly.

kmedic

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2597872u said:
I think its more than just the players pass rushing. You see all of SF's stunts and alignment changes they do? They switch it up often and get creative. While we just walk up to the line and try a bull rush. Although I did see Clemons with a nice inside spin move, but the OL played it perfectly.

I very much agree with this. I think Bradley is a great motivator of his players and has some nifty schemes but I don't think he calls a good game.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kmedic":1yta2uog said:
-The Glove-":1yta2uog said:

I very much agree with this. I think Bradley is a great motivator of his players and has some nifty schemes but I don't think he calls a good game.
I'm just tired of seeing a lack of adjustments in-game from him.

SeaMeat

Reaction score
-The Glove-":13aieol5 said:
kmedic":13aieol5 said:
-The Glove-":13aieol5 said:

I'm just tired of seeing a lack of adjustments in-game from him.

Bingo

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I just don't understand how this board attributes any defensive success to Carroll and any defensive failure to Bradley.

Maybe its not always the same people. if so, it's schizoid.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Because we saw nothing but defensive fails when it was Bradley/Mora, and way more success when it became Bradley/Carroll? And yet we still get to watch the same old pre-Carroll soft zone on 3rd and long giving it up easier than a two-dollar hooker?

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1c86c1kn said:
I just don't understand how this board attributes any defensive success to Carroll and any defensive failure to Bradley.

I don't see that at all. Gus Bradley was getting a lot of credit around here earlier in the season.

From reading you on this board, you seem to key in on posters who you vehemently disagree with and gloss over the rest. At least thats how your posts come off. That might be why you think this.

Hawks46

Reaction score
San Fran's D just did what they were supposed to: shut down a poor offensive team.

We don't ever seem to go that extra mile. Once we get folks down, we kinda let them back up. Maybe SF's defense has more pride than ours.

Maybe someone with more time than me should tweet Sherman and co. that.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hawkadeus":3uuehw8h said:
bestfightstory":3uuehw8h said:

I don't see that at all. Gus Bradley was getting a lot of credit around here earlier in the season.

From reading you on this board, you seem to key in on posters who you vehemently disagree with and gloss over the rest. At least thats how your posts come off. That might be why you think this.

Once again, its the White Knight. Hey, man. You have no idea who on this board I have relationships with and what the nature of those relationships are. Your analysis of me is worthless. And quite unwelcome.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2kayll5w said:
Because we saw nothing but defensive fails when it was Bradley/Mora, and way more success when it became Bradley/Carroll? And yet we still get to watch the same old pre-Carroll soft zone on 3rd and long giving it up easier than a two-dollar hooker?

Well, lets both assume you are only speaking for yourself when you say 'we' but doesn't Pete have some ownership for the failings on third and long or is that exclusively Bradley's department?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2qoomfzv said:
GeekHawk":2qoomfzv said:

Well, lets both assume you are only speaking for yourself when you say 'we' but doesn't Pete have some ownership for the failings on third and long or is that exclusively Bradley's department?

I don't think it's Bradleys department one bit. Pete runs the defense, just like he did at USC.

kmedic

Reaction score
Carroll doesn't call the blitzes or pressures during the game. I'm sure he is heavily involved in designing the plays as well as deciding on personnel packages. However, I don't think he's calling a blitz into Wagner's headset, that's Bradley's job. Bradley was also doing that when Mora was here as well. To my very limited eye, it appears that Bradley starts every game out very conservative, no matter the opponent. He'll only rush 4, even on third and longs, until at least the 2nd quarter. Only then do I start seeing some exotic blitzes, which increase as the game goes along. Now, that's not necessarily a bad philosophy to have in general. But I do think that against some teams you need to come out aggressive from the beginning. You can't be so predictable.

Pittsburgh is a team that seems the opposite to me. There are games when I see them blitzing from the first snap from every direction on seemingly every down. Their ability to be unpredictable is what has kept them elite for so long IMO. They don't necessarily have better talent than our defense, but they damn sure have a better play caller.

Ninerguy

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2pui47aw said:
I don't think it's Bradleys department one bit. Pete runs the defense, just like he did at USC.

We on the Niner board have this same argument but offensively...is it all Harbaughs offense or is it Romans...your is about defense, who really knows the answer to either question?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
kmedic":t9htzpxt said:
Carroll doesn't call the blitzes or pressures during the game. I'm sure he is heavily involved in designing the plays as well as deciding on personnel packages. However, I don't think he's calling a blitz into Wagner's headset, that's Bradley's job. Bradley was also doing that when Mora was here as well. To my very limited eye, it appears that Bradley starts every game out very conservative, no matter the opponent. He'll only rush 4, even on third and longs, until at least the 2nd quarter. Only then do I start seeing some exotic blitzes, which increase as the game goes along. Now, that's not necessarily a bad philosophy to have in general. But I do think that against some teams you need to come out aggressive from the beginning. You can't be so predictable.

Pittsburgh is a team that seems the opposite to me. There are games when I see them blitzing from the first snap from every direction on seemingly every down. Their ability to be unpredictable is what has kept them elite for so long IMO. They don't necessarily have better talent than our defense, but they damn sure have a better play caller.

How do you know this?

seedhawk

Reaction score
Pete has admitted to toning the O down. Hamstringing them if you will. Is he doing the same thing to our D?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
kmedic":akeotfnd said:

Well. The Carroll/Bradley defensive authorship question is an important and interesting one to me. I dont have the answer. I dont think anyone here does either. But it seems when our defense is achieving I see Carroll routinely praised. When our defense shows flaws I see Bradley criticized.

As to your observations. The way we have started games 'scheme wise' has been perfect in my mind. We have scored first and had the lead in 8 of 8 games this year.

Latest posts