Our Secondary

kmedic

Reaction score
is not as good as SF's. Is that a blasphemous statement?

Maybe, but all the hype has gotten into these guys's heads IMO. I'm watching a superb disciplined hard hitting performance being displayed by the SF secondary on Arizona tonight. Absolutely rock solid. Yes, it's Arizona, and Fitz is out, but they have completely shut down not only their passing game but their running game as well in their house.

I think the "Legion of Boom" needs to get their crap together and start playing with a chip on their shoulder, starting this Sunday. They got a lot of proving to do again in my eyes. Can someone wake up Kam for us please?

hawksfan515

Reaction score
kmedic":1yj66ura said:
is not as good as SF's. Is that a blasphemous statement?

Maybe, but all the hype has gotten into these guys's heads IMO. I'm watching a superb disciplined hard hitting performance being displayed by the SF secondary on Arizona tonight. Absolutely rock solid. Yes, it's Arizona, and Fitz is out, but they have completely shut down not only their passing game but their running game as well in their house.

I think the "Legion of Boom" needs to get their crap together and start playing with a chip on their shoulder, starting this Sunday. They got a lot of proving to do again in my eyes. Can someone wake up Kam for us please?

All I'm gonna say is.... There's a slight difference in talent level.

1: I assume the 49ers are creating tons of pressure on that sieve the Cardinals call an O-line, affecting the passes

2: If Fitz is out, that is one of the worst WR corps in the league. Yes, worse than ours.

3: They are playing against John freaking Skelton.

4: SF's offense helped them make Arizona one-dimensional early.

I think a lot of teams in the league would look good if they had this going for them.

suppaball

Reaction score
If the Legion of Boom are the compeditors I think they are this game woke them up. They will get beter out of pride alone. The WR situation can't be a help in practice either.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'd take our starting 4 DB's over any starting 4 in the league, without question. If you dont have a pass rush thats getting pressure you can have Deion, Revis and Champ Bailey back there and they'll still give up yards.

Now, if i had to choose our whole D or SF's whole D, i'd go with SF.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
The 49ers are just a solid team. They don't beat themselves and they impose their will on the opponents. Hate saying it because I hate them and the band wagon fans they have, but that's a really good football team. I'm going to drink now and hopefully forget I just wrote that.

Starrman44

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1aky8qzb said:
I'd take our starting 4 DB's over any starting 4 in the league, without question. If you dont have a pass rush thats getting pressure you can have Deion, Revis and Champ Bailey back there and they'll still give up yards.

I agree with you, J. Well said...

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
They are a class above all around, no question. They are one of the best teams in the league.

I think the LoB probably needed a dose of humility. I hope they can bear down and play like they are capable of the rest of the season

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
JSeahawks":30vak93i said:

I wasn't seeing a whole of pressure on Skelton tonight from the D-line. Frankly, I don't think SF's front four rushes the QB significantly better than our front four (ie. Irvin, Clem, Branch, and Jones). Being an elite secondary requires great discipline. The "Legion of Boom" may be younger and have more "talent" but they aren't as disciplined as SF's secondary, that's for sure. And to me that is just as if not more important.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The reality is after they sucked for so long, they accumulated lots of top picks and drafted wisely with them.

They have a lot of complimentary pieces that play well together, and let's face it - he's a whiny bitch but Harbaugh coaches them up well.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
This is true. It seems like 80% of their starting lineup are first rounders, and the rest second rounders. Even their free agent pickups are former first rounders. Ridiculous.

Hawkadeus

Reaction score
SF's defense is top to bottom better than ours. That fact allows their secondary to be better. On it's own, I'm not so sure. But it's better in conjunction with the rest of their d.

HawkWow

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2axewa0v said:

Well said.

But I like our situation, long term, better than I do SF's. I say this largely because we (likely) have our QBTF. While SF will eventually be (hopefully) wasting picks trying to find their's ...we will be using our picks to upgrade other positions. I think where SF really kicks our ass is offensive line. That's where we have some catching up to do.

Even without upgrading our D, if Wagner continues to progress and we get some Aldon Smith comparable play from Irvin, we will be close to SF's current D, if not equal, IMO.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I hope the Detroit game woke them up, and pissed the LoB off.

If we're comparing teams, San Fran has a better OL (they should, they've been working at it longer, and throwing more 1st round picks at it), and a better LB corps.

Thing is, a good LB corps is also part of the secondary on most plays now in the NFL. If your LB corps is weak in coverage, then your secondary is weaker in coverage.

Our LB corps is, right now, weak in coverage. KJ Wright isn't quite fast enough to pay in space, Hill is above average in coverage, and Wagner is still learning, but will probably be pretty good with his speed.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading into it too much but I didn't like how ET said after the Detroit game that "it should have been a blowout". Maybe it's just his way of coping with defeat but to me it seems that he (and likely his other secondary teammates) has a false sense of how good they really are. It was almost like he was shocked that they got taken to the woodshed like that. They better take a hard look in the mirror this week, hit the reset button, and start earning their stripes again.

Seeker

Reaction score
Didn't san fran get stomped out by the vikings, didn't they get beat by the giants at home on a game they had circled on the calendar since training camp? i think 3rd down is a problem, but not one that won't be sured up this week. we'll be fine but this is good perspective.

hawker84

Reaction score
i don't buy it, we torched that secondary with our rookie qb, let me correct myself... if not for the 234 dropped passes that game we would have torched that secondary... they are not better than our secondary in my opinion... maybe as good, but not better...and i don't think they are as good..... they were playing john skelton, how'd that secondary do against eli, nuff said....

rlkats

Reaction score
Hey hawker I remember Niners secondary stopping Detroit and winning. Soooo explain that.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I would take our starting 4DBs all day. Our defense as a whole is a lot younger..... .... experience is valuable.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
rlkats":356l5496 said:
Hey hawker I remember Niners secondary stopping Detroit and winning. Soooo explain that.
And I remember the Seahawks secondary stopping New England and winning.

HawkMania

Reaction score
-The Glove-":rz3ds5vm said:
rlkats":rz3ds5vm said:
And I remember the Seahawks secondary stopping New England and winning.
Exactly. Stafford is no Brady. Detriot got the ball last, chewed up a bunch of clock, and our D did not come up with stop.