It's Pete time...

Smoke

Reaction score
SharkHawk":kl26yr92 said:
I am going to go on the record and say 90% of the fans (and a higher percentage here) want nothing of the sort (switching up head coaches). They just want to see Pete perform as a coach as he is capable of and that his players turn the corner.... just as he did in his 3rd year at USC. You saw a real significant transformation. We want to see that similar change happen here. We've got the talent. Let's see it happen.

I feel like our offense is right at the start of the transformation. Look at week 1 Russel, vs's week 8 Russel. Look at the Offensive line protection. This thing is on the verge, just like our D last year around this time was right on the verge. These losses have been some of the most encouraging losses I can remember in the history of watching the seahawks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Lions were 12 of 16 on third down. This has been happening ALL DAMNED SEASON!! Good coaching corrects these types of things. When are you going to get a handle on it Pete? It's been half the season now and NOTHING has changed in this area.
Yesterday was a game the Hawks just flat out should've won. I felt the same way after last year's Skins game. Youth or not, it's up to Pete Carroll to teach these young players how to win games against inferior opponents.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pstark3":2ukdl0gk said:
Sgt. Largent":2ukdl0gk said:
If I'm Paul Allen and I'm paying my coach $7,000,000 a year in his 3rd year, I better damn well be seeing some results by now.
Even though He and JS have brought in ridiculous amounts of cheap, young talent resulting in us being one of the youngest, most physical up and comers of the NFL? If thats not enough to make you believe PC&JS when they say this is a 4 year plan, probably nothing will.

Don't fool yourself, the Hawks currently only have $7,000,000 of cap space, that's nowhere near the bottom.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -nfl-teams

New England, Green Bay, Broncos, Vikings and Bengals all have more cap space than us.

Sure Carroll has found some diamonds in the rough in the late draft rounds. But he's also given out HUGE contracts to players like Rice, Miller, Lynch, Mebane, Jones and Clemons.........and guess what, all these "cheap, young talented players" are going to be free agents soon.......and guess what good free agents want? That's right more money. Are all these players going to be around for your 4 year plan?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3csotz0c said:
Sgt. Largent":3csotz0c said:
Improvement doesn't count until it shows up in the wins and loss column. Pete's first year he went 4-4 in the first eight games. This year, same thing.

That's a very narrow minded way of looking at things. This team is a damn site better than the 2010 version, and I'd argue the 2011 version too. And that improvement should be celebrated. You don't suddenly wake up one day and become a contender. It can be a slow process. Especially when you have a rookie QB and a lot of young players. To ignore the improvement because the team is 'only' 4-4 at the midway point is OTT.

I was going to respond to that bit, but you handled it much more diplomatically than I wanted to. Kudos, English.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
I hope Pete Carroll is not our Mike Singletary.

A coach of a very talented team that can't get them over the hump. Then another guy comes in and wins with the existing talent.

I like Pete. I want him to succeed but there may be the possibility that he is good at building an NFL team more then coaching one.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I just don't agree with the perception that the Lions are a mentally soft team. We were beaten by a good football team. Simple as that.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3hxf0l9q said:

A coach of a very talented team that can't get them over the hump. Then another guy comes in and wins with the existing talent.

Singletary was in charge of a shambolic mess. He was so unhinged, there was no way he should've ever been given the gig on a full time basis.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":za9d27km said:
Tech Worlds":za9d27km said:

Singletary was in charge of a shambolic mess. He was so unhinged, there was no way he should've ever been given the gig on a full time basis.

I understand that but he was still the coach of a very talented team. It took another coach to get them to perform

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":pvq79uey said:
theENGLISHseahawk":pvq79uey said:
Tech Worlds":pvq79uey said:

I understand that but he was still the coach of a very talented team. It took another coach to get them to perform

A talented team built built with multiple high picks which is now in its prime (and at the risk of falling off because of their age).

SharkHawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2d830eo7 said:
I just don't agree with the perception that the Lions are a mentally soft team. We were beaten by a good football team. Simple as that.

Good football teams don't come into this game 2-4. Simple as that.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3jhco1mo said:
Tech Worlds":3jhco1mo said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3jhco1mo said:
Tech Worlds said:

A talented team built built with multiple high picks which is now in its prime (and at the risk of falling off because of their age).

I don't want to hijack the thread but I don't think they are really that old.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1q1kj4ch said:

I like Pete. I want him to succeed but there may be the possibility that he is good at building an NFL team more then coaching one.

Well... we have Tom Cable on staff right now. He can coach a non-talented team to wins. I don't see why he couldn't do it with the talent we have. Gruden is also available. Do I want either thing happening? Not unless Pete decides he's done and just up and retires, but there are good options out there. Just so long as it isn't Mike Martz.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SharkHawk":2544e4qz said:
Tech Worlds":2544e4qz said:

Well... we have Tom Cable on staff right now. He can coach a non-talented team to wins. I don't see why he couldn't do it with the talent we have. Gruden is also available. Do I want either thing happening? Not unless Pete decides he's done and just up and retires, but there are good options out there. Just so long as it isn't Mike Martz.
You said "Good" options Shark. No need to mention Martz after that.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2r0ou86l said:

I think that's what people often forget when they start saying, "OMG the FO has had almost 3 full YEARS to turn the team around! Why aren't we blowing teams out left and right yet?!"

The 49ers had 8 straight seasons without a winning record, burning through 3 head coaches, and racking up high draft picks left and right. They had 6 top-12 picks over that timeframe (and don't forget the high 2nd, 3rd, etc. picks they had, too). It took years of good drafting and time for players to develop before all of that paid off - and it still required a HC who knew how to take advantage of all the talent.

I don't know if Carroll has the gameday chops to get us a Lombardi. But I do know that genuine, ground-up rebuilds take time, which is unfortunate for those fans whose expectations are aimed a bit too high (in my view).

(And please bear in mind that I said "expectations" rather than "desires/goals/etc." Of course the goal should always be a championship, but realistically, we're not quite ready to truly challenge for one.)

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I think you're short-changing me a bit Vols.

I understand, completely, the rebuild that was required and the job that's been done. My frustration is the fact I've seen more accomplished with less. And right now, this team can run the ball, throw deep, is respectable in other aspects of the passing game, has a talented and good defense and its .500.

I've seen teams win with less than that, period. I'm happy and understanding of the work Pete and staff have done, truly I am, but its time to win now. Teams with less find ways to win. Dolphins, Steelers to name 2 less talented teams winning now, with less.

Just because I'm a Seahawks fan, doesn't mean I need to have less expectations than other fans. If this team was in; Pitt or NY it wouldn't be acceptable, period. Because we're Seahawks fans we need to accept 4 year rebuild plans, that wouldn't fly in more established football towns?

Fact is; Harbaugh, Coughlin, Bellicheck, Tomlin, McCarthy WOULD have winning records with this team. That's what I want Pete to become. And, I think he can.

But this nonsense that Seattle has to judge differently than other NFL cities is just that, nonsense.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":27r7w5x0 said:
SharkHawk":27r7w5x0 said:
Tech Worlds":27r7w5x0 said:

You said "Good" options Shark. No need to mention Martz after that.

Haha. Right you are my friend. Right you are. Thanks for the good laugh. Sadly though, there are still people out there that think Martz can coach. I mean... fox thinks enough of the guy to let him call games. Make it stop. Make it stop!!! ;)

kearly

Reaction score
Probably too late to add anything meaningful to the discussion, but I would blame Sherman for the bomb to Young. He took his eyes off the WR completely and lost track of him.

What I would blame Pete for are the scheme issues that allow teams to throw 5 yard passes on 3rd and 10 and still get the 1st downs. I'm reasonably sure those plays are scheme issues and not talent issues- it's not like the lions were breaking tackles to get those extra 5-10 yards after the catch. The Lions did their homework and exploited the short-middle just like Arizona, St. Louis, Green Bay, and New England did.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
pe is correct. Unless you find our losses to lame-ass Arizona, weak-ass St Louis, punk-ass San Fran, and pussy-ass kitty's acceptable. In which case, you see us as over-achieving this year. And I can't hang with that.

drdiags

Reaction score
They should go bandit on 3rd and long, with Kam sniffing out the run. Okay, maybe not, but mix it up and get aggressive for the pass.

The Young TD was on Sherman/Chancellor. According to Pete, they relaxed, thinking the play was going somewhere else and got burned. Great pocket move by Stafford to step away from the sack attempt coming from behind him and delivering a good strike.

Coughlin was almost ran out of NY before he became the man with the plan. What helped him was Eli finally getting it as a starting QB. One could hope that Pete, for all his warts, can become that stabilizing force for the Seahawks. I'm Still In!

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm still in too doc. And, actually, I have a feeling Wilson will cover all Pete's warts as much as Eli covers Sweater Vests (Coughlins).