It's Pete time...

SharkHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1ur6hzkj said:
It's on him now, he needs to right this, and soon.

Even before the offense took steps forwards against NE, the offense could always; run the ball, hit any pattern, could throw long WELL. The defense has the players and tools to play well. Plus, this team ALWAYS plays hard, in every facet of the game.

Playing hard usually will beat the likes of Detroit. The talent differential should've beaten the Rams. And, the offense seemed uninterested in winning the SF game (based on poor execution).

I look at a team like Miami, with SO much less, seemingly playing better and just as hard. And, they're winning, ON THE ROAD. So, for all the excuses of how better it is, how much brilliance Pete has shown putting this together, there's no more excuses for not winning.

Yesterday really pissed me off. That's a mentally soft team the Seahawks lost to. The perfect type of learning road win this teams NEEDS to get.

I'm appreciative of Pete. But, there's no more room for losses.

This times a billion. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":tjzjo7rq said:
Somehow, I just can't agree that a team which is one of the best (league leader, even?) at scoring 4th quarter points is mentally soft.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Hawks are averaging 5.5 points per game in the 4th quarter. Good for 22nd in the NFL. We're really bad in the 2nd quarter (31st).

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/4t ... s-per-game

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The 3rd and 11 play at 17-7 was key for me. I remember watching that thinking... 'get a stop here and get the ball back'. You start to consider a 20-7 or even 24-7 lead. And bang. One play and it's a three point game. That was a killer. I'm not sure how much of that was on Pete though or Gus Bradley and the players. Likewise the draw play that potentially cost us three points at the end of the first half. Is that Pete or Bevell/Cable?

Overall though it's hard to complain too much right now. I remember the road games where it was over at half time. If we'd have won all our road games so far, not sure anyone would've batted an eye lid. We're getting there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1yyze812 said:
pehawk":1yyze812 said:
Ask Earl Thomas. He stated paraphrasing; they could've/should've jumped on them early it would've been a blowout. I'm not the only one who thinks Detroit will cave if bad things occur early.

We were up 17-7 if that isn't jumping on them then what is. We had them right where you said they would fold and they didn't. WE did, and on defense, not offense.

Even if people agree that Detroit didn't fold like some thought, the fact is that Carroll went into "super conservative mode" with a lead, just like he always does.........as opposed to what GOOD teams do with a 17-7 lead, go for the jugular.

Is it cause he still doesn't trust Wilson to not make mistakes? Is it that he thinks his defense is so good that they should be able to hold this sort of a lead? Not sure, only Carroll can answer these questions.

But it pisses me off that when this team has a lead they go through long conservative stretches of the game (usually the 2nd and 3rd quarters) where they don't step on the other team's throat. It's a loser mentality, and it has to stop.

drdiags

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2s07tq9l said:
Sarlacc83":2s07tq9l said:
Somehow, I just can't agree that a team which is one of the best (league leader, even?) at scoring 4th quarter points is mentally soft.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Hawks are averaging 5.5 points per game in the 4th quarter. Good for 22nd in the NFL. We're really bad in the 2nd quarter (31st).

I may be missing something, but I think he was saying the Lions are the league leader in 4th quarter scoring?

Smoke

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":13nwbipe said:
The 3rd and 11 play at 17-7 was key for me. I remember watching that thinking... 'get a stop here and get the ball back'. You start to consider a 20-7 or even 24-7 lead. And bang. One play and it's a three point game. That was a killer. I'm not sure how much of that was on Pete though or Gus Bradley and the players. Likewise the draw play that potentially cost us three points at the end of the first half. Is that Pete or Bevell/Cable?

Overall though it's hard to complain too much right now. I remember the road games where it was over at half time. If we'd have won all our road games so far, not sure anyone would've batted an eye lid. We're getting there.

I agree with this fully.

I feel as though this team is on the verge of consistently winning. We still have mostly 2, and 3rd year players on this roster. The game hasn't slowed down for everyone yet. A lot of the plays that we got killed on were do to over pursuit on Defense and simply being behind a step. Small nuances that 2nd and 3rd year players are just starting to learn. Even our O-line which now has only played 5 games together is starting to come around and play on each others level.

Pete started from Scratch, 3 years ago. He has hedged his bets knowing that a Defense and running game typically develops faster than a passing game, a passing game which they haven't even started to build around yet, and we still are competitive. These have been some of the funnest games to watch, and that I giv Pete total props for.

We just haven't clicked yet, maybe we will this year, maybe we wont. I would bet though that given the progression we have seen, its going to be happening, and fast.

kf3339

Reaction score
pehawk":3iuudtud said:
It's on him now, he needs to right this, and soon.

Even before the offense took steps forwards against NE, the offense could always; run the ball, hit any pattern, could throw long WELL. The defense has the players and tools to play well. Plus, this team ALWAYS plays hard, in every facet of the game.

Playing hard usually will beat the likes of Detroit. The talent differential should've beaten the Rams. And, the offense seemed uninterested in winning the SF game (based on poor execution).

I look at a team like Miami, with SO much less, seemingly playing better and just as hard. And, they're winning, ON THE ROAD. So, for all the excuses of how better it is, how much brilliance Pete has shown putting this together, there's no more excuses for not winning.

Yesterday really pissed me off. That's a mentally soft team the Seahawks lost to. The perfect type of learning road win this teams NEEDS to get.

I'm appreciative of Pete. But, there's no more room for losses.

I also have to agree with you on this one. It just pisses me off how we can be out coached in games we should be able to easily win. I really like PC, but he needs to do a reality check on himself. I personally think he needs to really good and experienced coordinators working for him that really know how to scheme against opponents both before and especially during games.

If this keeps up I do see him on a very hot seat after next year. Even Paul Allen can see that there is something wrong by now.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Smoke":uigfc0iv said:
theENGLISHseahawk":uigfc0iv said:

I agree with this fully.

I feel as though this team is on the verge of consistently winning. We still have mostly 2, and 3rd year players on this roster. The game hasn't slowed down for everyone yet. A lot of the plays that we got killed on were do to over pursuit on Defense and simply being behind a step. Small nuances that 2nd and 3rd year players are just starting to learn. Even our O-line which now has only played 5 games together is starting to come around and play on each others level.

Pete started from Scratch, 3 years ago. He has hedged his bets knowing that a Defense and running game typically develops faster than a passing game, a passing game which they haven't even started to build around yet, and we still are competitive. These have been some of the funnest games to watch, and that I giv Pete total props for.

We just haven't clicked yet, maybe we will this year, maybe we wont. I would bet though that given the progression we have seen, its going to be happening, and fast.

Amen brothers. Thanks for not being nancies.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
drdiags":19icduwf said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":19icduwf said:
Sarlacc83":19icduwf said:

I may be missing something, but I think he was saying the Lions are the league leader in 4th quarter scoring?

This is correct and the provided link bears it out.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Why haven't they clicked, is my question? The Bronco's clicked, a year after sucking, with the worst QB ever known, while devising new offensive and defensive schemes through the season. This year and last.

The Dolphins this year are doing more with less. They're younger and less talented - in vastly different systems.

And it still doesn't change the point that the coaches I mentioned would be winning, period. Lynch topped 100 in SF, Stl and now Detroit, but they're all losses.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Pete turned the 2009 Seahawks team into the team you see today, that he claims is still on year 3 out of 4, and people STILL want to throw him under the bus? Even worse, were blaming our offense when they had probably their best game of the year, and it was our DEFENSE that failed to stop the Lions offense TWICE on 3rd down in the redzone with less than a minute left?

Knee jerk is almost an understatement

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pstark3":3vz6okcq said:
Pete turned the 2009 Seahawks team into the team you see today

Improvement doesn't count until it shows up in the wins and loss column. Pete's first year he went 4-4 in the first eight games. This year, same thing.

Do I think Carroll's infused this team with great young talent? Yes. But like I said, that's all window dressing until it results in wins..........and so far this year, it hasn't.

Btw, people forget that Carroll is the 2nd highest paid coach in the NFL, only 500k less than Belichick. Do you think he's worth it? If I'm Paul Allen and I'm paying my coach $7,000,000 a year in his 3rd year, I better damn well be seeing some results by now.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
Pstark3":1os0l1uj said:
Pete turned the 2009 Seahawks team into the team you see today, that he claims is still on year 3 out of 4, and people STILL want to throw him under the bus? Even worse, were blaming our offense when they had probably their best game of the year, and it was our DEFENSE that failed to stop the Lions offense TWICE on 3rd down in the redzone with less than a minute left?

Knee jerk is almost an understatement

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Nobody is throwing him under the bus. At least not the OP. He's saying you built this team, now win with it. Seems fair to me. No, he didn't walk into a Harbaugh situation, but he has that much talent NOW. So he should be beating 2-4 teams. Simple as that.

Pstark3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39hz6awl said:
If I'm Paul Allen and I'm paying my coach $7,000,000 a year in his 3rd year, I better damn well be seeing some results by now.
Even though He and JS have brought in ridiculous amounts of cheap, young talent resulting in us being one of the youngest, most physical up and comers of the NFL? If thats not enough to make you believe PC&JS when they say this is a 4 year plan, probably nothing will.

Idk about you, but I do NOT want some other coach coming in here and f***ing this thing we have going here up.

Smoke

Reaction score
pehawk":1cro8l8w said:
Why haven't they clicked, is my question? The Bronco's clicked, a year after sucking, with the worst QB ever known, while devising new offensive and defensive schemes through the season. This year and last.

The Dolphins this year are doing more with less. They're younger and less talented - in vastly different systems.

And it still doesn't change the point that the coaches I mentioned would be winning, period. Lynch topped 100 in SF, Stl and now Detroit, but they're all losses.

From where I stand, the reason the hawks have instantly clicked is because we are being built for long term success..We are almost there, we just have to let the team mature. There is only so much that Pete can do. It seems like Pete and company are good talent evaluators, and I am guessing that they probably have a very good grip on what our team can and can't do. Im pretty sure that gameplanning is done in line with understanding of what our team is and isn't good at. We have been in everygame, and every game has looked almost the same. Ever notice that? We have been the controllers of the tempo. That is all Pete's doing, and save for one or two plays swinging the wrong way in losses we could have won every game.

That is a far cry from being blown out by 20 or 30 points most everygame. That is progression.

Bottom line, once the offense starts showing maturity its going to be hard to beat us, and we will start having those 20 to 30 point wins.

It just takes time.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I am going to go on the record and say 90% of the fans (and a higher percentage here) want nothing of the sort (switching up head coaches). They just want to see Pete perform as a coach as he is capable of and that his players turn the corner.... just as he did in his 3rd year at USC. You saw a real significant transformation. We want to see that similar change happen here. We've got the talent. Let's see it happen.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":efsfpuoz said:
I am going to go on the record and say 90% of the fans (and a higher percentage here) want nothing of the sort (switching up head coaches). They just want to see Pete perform as a coach as he is capable of and that his players turn the corner.... just as he did in his 3rd year at USC. You saw a real significant transformation. We want to see that similar change happen here. We've got the talent. Let's see it happen.

Yes, this is what I think.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Smoke":xnsilvfm said:
pehawk":xnsilvfm said:

From where I stand, the reason the hawks have instantly clicked is because we are being built for long term success..We are almost there, we just have to let the team mature. There is only so much that Pete can do. It seems like Pete and company are good talent evaluators, and I am guessing that they probably have a very good grip on what our team can and can't do. Im pretty sure that gameplanning is done in line with understanding of what our team is and isn't good at. We have been in everygame, and every game and everygame has looked almost the same. Ever notice that? We have been the controllers of the tempo. That is all Pete's doing, and save for one or two plays swinging the wrong way in losses we could have won every game.

That is a far cry from being blown out by 20 or 30 points most everygame. That is progression.

Bottom line, once the offense starts showing maturity its going to be hard to beat us, and we will start having those 20 to 30 point wins.

It just takes time.

GREAT GAWD DAMN POST.

Logically I want to nod yes, emotionally I want to cry and say "but other teams dont have to rebuild!"

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l6f6p5i said:
Improvement doesn't count until it shows up in the wins and loss column. Pete's first year he went 4-4 in the first eight games. This year, same thing.

That's a very narrow minded way of looking at things. This team is a damn site better than the 2010 version, and I'd argue the 2011 version too. And that improvement should be celebrated. You don't suddenly wake up one day and become a contender. It can be a slow process. Especially when you have a rookie QB and a lot of young players. To ignore the improvement because the team is 'only' 4-4 at the midway point is OTT.