Wilson just had the best game of his career

MLOhawks

Reaction score
He definitely has potential. I would like to see our line give him more time, I think he needs more time in the pocket to be truly good.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
We needed him to-He faced a very bad secondary. That aside, I loved his performance even without seeing the QBR. The guy has a rifle when he is throwing in rhythm and without hesitancy. Good to see.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
MLOhawks":2rufb58t said:
He definitely has potential. I would like to see our line give him more time, I think he needs more time in the pocket to be truly good.

The line didn't give up any sacks yesterday. I think that's pretty good time. I thought he played well. Even the INT it was a yard overthrown and it looked like Rice could have gotten a hand on it.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
And if Rice makes that catch, it's a whole different story. He would have had another near 300-yard day and a third TD, not to mention (more importantly) the points for us.

bellingerga

Reaction score
WR's have been letting him, the team, and us down all year. He would be having a pretty decent rookie campaign if not for the dropsies and the tip ups there'd be fewer ints, more catches, and more td's.

edogg23

Reaction score
Tips and drops are just part of the game though, they happen to every QB. Megaton had 2 or 3 that game and he is one of the best in the game right now.

suppaball

Reaction score
Every game I see RW just tring to make more plays and keep getting better. Just going one play at a time and doing the best he can at putting the ball in a postion for his guy to make a play on it.

GO HAWKS!!

pehawk

Reaction score
I think Sunday, he played above the level of his WR's. Nothing to back that up, just a gut feel.

Once the WR's and him get into a little better rythm, he'll elevate their play. We all saw firsthand how good Brady can make WR's appear (Branch). Eli does the same with WR's who the team hasn't invested any FA dollars or high picks into.

Yes, I'm comfortable projecting Wilson into the Brady and Eli area. Really comfortable.

OP
OP
hawksfan515

hawksfan515

Reaction score
pehawk":1q5qn1b3 said:
I think Sunday, he played above the level of his WR's. Nothing to back that up, just a gut feel.

Once the WR's and him get into a little better rythm, he'll elevate their play. We all saw firsthand how good Brady can make WR's appear (Branch). Eli does the same with WR's who the team hasn't invested any FA dollars or high picks into.

Yes, I'm comfortable projecting Wilson into the Brady and Eli area. Really comfortable.

I think he's got that undeniable clutch factor, and here's an example I will take from where it didn't work out, but he did a great job to try.

In the last offensive down of ours at SF, it was 4th and 22. No hope right? Wilson, under almost no help from his WR's, manages to complete a pass right next to the sticks, except Obo didn't extend. WHO DOES THAT? How did he do that? It's just like he can't fail......... I was just thinking afterwards, wow, how do you go from not completing one pass to that?

This kid just gets better when the pressure's on.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Just think of what Flynn would have done against that secondary. :stirthepot:

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
All he has done is improve by leaps every game. There are not many players who actually have ever played this well ever by their 8th game. I love watching him play and progress. No gimmicks either - just plain reads and arm.

HawkWow

Reaction score
pehawk":mkhpurit said:

Are you saying you believe Wilson is the next Brady / Manning.....or are you merely stating he has the ability to make his receivers better?

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":khv0tgmf said:
pehawk":khv0tgmf said:

Are you saying you believe Wilson is the next Brady / Manning.....or are you merely stating he has the ability to make his receivers better?

One goes with the other, but, both. I think sky's the limit.

I'm more giddy for Wilson than I've ever been for any Hawks QB, ever. More than Hass. I dont think I'm alone.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I like your enthusiasm.

We've sucked so bad for so long at the position, It's definitely not a stretch believing Wilson could ultimately be our best ever. Not taking anything away from him, but the watermark isn't all too high. Hass sets the bar, IMO.

History is against him, though. He would become the ONLY good QB drafted by this franchise. Ever. I suppose Pete deserves more props than he gets for selecting him.

I'm just real happy with the kid and think his upside is huge. But I'm also happy Flynn is behind him. Another luxury this team has never had. We've had several QB controversies, none of them good.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think there's quite a few other smart/respectable posters here, beat writers and even national types who think along the same lines. But, unlike them, I'm just a loudmouthed lil nothing, so no big deal if I'm wrong.

But, I just don't know how people that truly know the game, don't have HUGE excitement for the kid. There's too many signs pointing to him being elite. You can't quantify it by heigth, stats, QBR, completion %.

All I can do is use the Eli comparison. Watching him, I just had a feeling he was greater than the sum of his stats. I even said, with confidence, he'd end up with more rings than his brother entering that draft. I got a lot of grief for that - but it ended up being right.

There's a good chance I'm wrong on Wilson, but, I can't personally see how I am. Just my opnion though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I sure hope you're right.

I haven't thought this through, but I doubt there's many teams, if any, that has been as miserable (at the position) as us as a franchise. We've wasted no less than 19 picks on QBs. Many, if not most, high picks. You can't become a consistant contender wasting so many valuable spots...and still not have a QB to show for them.

I am a realist and reality is typically less than favorable regarding this club. But this time it just feels different and Wilson is definitely part of the reason. I'd like to be in the SB by 2014 and winning it all by 2015. Happy anniversary Pittsburgh Steelers. ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He has a better deep ball than any QB who has ever played in Seattle. When I see him looking deep, I just take a deep breath...and then exhale when another pass catcher looks like crap about half the time. Yeah, he has made some mistakes, but you can just see the kid growing at a clip that is amazing. Last week, stepping into and around in the pocket, you can see him learning on the job.

For years here, lots of posters have minimized the issue of arm strength. Clearly, you can have success without loads of it, but combine arm strength with some brains, and it changes what defenses do more than anything else. We lost the Detroit game because our coaches were too concerned about Stafford going deep at any time, and I am interested to see as Russell gets defenses to react like that. It will be interesting to watch how other players begin to prosper as secondaries begin to realize this kid can take the top off at any time.

Montana used to get ripped by a select few when he said Hasselbecks weak arm had become a liability. He wasn't wrong. I have been coveting an arm like this behind center for a while now, I just didn't know the arm would come attached to such a controversially short guy. Which I would say is becoming less of an issue week by week.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawksfan515":28fry3nm said:
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nfcwest&id=79804

At least according to the new QBR ( a rating i wholly agree with). He only trailed Peyton manning, Tom Brady, and Matt Ryan for best performance on the day. His QBR rating was 93.7 out of 100, well above all-pro level.

This kid just keeps getting better and better folks.
:13: Flynn who?

Its awesome to know we have our guy for the next 10-15 years. Exciting times are ahead for sure.

Latest posts