Not gonna buy the "overrated defense" theme this week.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
my biggest problem comes down to the last drive. The defense has to hold up. The offense did everything to win. The defense would have been better off letting them score unstead of holding them a yard short. But the biggest issue I have is with Browner. You simply CAN"T get beat on a slant rout when you inside the 3 yard line. Even if he's in zone coverage he can still reroute the WR to the outside and use the sideline to his advantage. Instead he got beat, just like he did in crticial situations last year.

Overall I like our team and if we're going to be playing close games all year than we have to expect to lose some close ones as well. I was just hoping the defense would shut the door on them like they did to Cam Newton.

This loss makes our HOME games all the valuable, If we want to make the playoffs we'll have to win ALL of our home games IMO. Or at least pick up 7 of 8 at home. The next 2 weeks will define the season IMO.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3gerpiyv said:
Like I said in another thread, we're a young team still learning how to win.

We'll be fine.

Btw, excellent post, hope it doesnt get buried in all the overreaction, whining and crying.

When are we no longer a young team learning how to win? When does that excuse no longer suffice?

Next year? The year after? Or will we be old then and rebuilding?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":jcgp93wo said:
JSeahawks":jcgp93wo said:

We'll be fine.

Btw, excellent post, hope it doesnt get buried in all the overreaction, whining and crying.

When are we no longer a young team learning how to win? When does that excuse no longer suffice?

I would say next year. Pete originally said it was a 4 year rebuilding cycle and next year is year 4. We also wont have the built in excuse of a rookie QB. Next year is win or its a big dissapointment. This year is get better every week and hopefully win most of them along the way. At least thats the way I see it.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
Yes this team has won some games. But this defense for them most part has been terrible on 3rd down this season. It has to get fixed ASAP.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I think we've been rated perfectly a top 5-10 defense.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Can we quit with the gender references? I swear--it's you guys who usually go off the deep end and want everyone fired after a loss.

As for the rest of Montana's post, I agree for the most part. Obviously there are issues with defensive third downs still, and the team needs to figure out how to better defend against the dink and dunk stuff. But the D didn't just suddenly end up in the tank because the Lions won the game. In spite of their record, they are a dangerous team offensively. Stafford has a great arm and can fit passes into very small windows. He had a terrific day today.

I hate losing. I still get depressed about certain losses. But all of us probably need to chill a bit when things don't go as expected.

kf3339

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2uymenih said:
JSeahawks":2uymenih said:

We'll be fine.

I think the thing we all must realize is that we are not built today to be a consistent winning team. At least not right now.

The very best teams have a really good mix of veteran leadership and youth that work well together. PC and JS basically got rid of the vast majority of our veterans to go young. I'm not saying it didn't need to happen, but it did leave a void which takes time to fill. We are not doing it in free agency as witnessed by out lack of activity last off season. Even Flynn could be taken more as a young player, as opposed to a veteran leader. So we need to wait for those young leaders to come forward in the next few years. It's going to take time, which is why I have mentioned several times on this board that we need to be prepared for 7-9 to 9-7 teams for this year and possibly even next year before things hopefully change for the better. Some are going to hate this comment, but it's where things stand.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2p3bggqj said:
JSeahawks":2p3bggqj said:

We'll be fine.

When it's no longer valid. When either we start winning consistently or, worst case scenario, we're no longer young an inexperienced but we're still not winning consistently.

Right now we're not winning consistently, but we're young an inexperienced. If that's not the real reason then we have real problems and since I can't change shit about what we're doing and how we're doing it I'm gonna go ahead and go with the excuse that makes me feel best about the future of this team. Holla.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3r4sulv0 said:
JSeahawks":3r4sulv0 said:

We'll be fine.

When we stop losing.

Throwdown

Reaction score
How do they fix the 3rd down defense? Does their need to be a change schematically? or personel wise like putting in Lane instead of Trufant?

The 3rd down defense is AWFUL and has been all season.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
scutterhawk":p41s8hrh said:
I love all the positives you mention, but they don't mean squat in a loss.
This isn't directed at you personally, but I'm getting tired of hearing this type of reasoning. The bright side/silver linings/positives aren't going to change an L into a W, or even into a lower case l -- but they certainly have meaning. They are some of the ways we can measure growth, when said growth is difficult to measure in wins and losses. This insistence on downplaying or denying any significance on the positives in a game, because of revulsion at mediocrity or morale victories or whatever, pushes the pendulum in the extreme other direction.

To follow that logic, it makes no difference if we lose by 1 or lose by 50, it still counts as a L. That's true... but only in the standings. It matters everywhere else.

For those that say it doesn't matter, do you really think the 2010 7-9 team and the 2011 7-9 team had no differences between them?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":3uxc9ejf said:
scutterhawk":3uxc9ejf said:
This isn't directed at you personally, but I'm getting tired of hearing this type of reasoning. The bright side/silver linings/positives aren't going to change an L into a W, or even into a lower case l -- but they certainly have meaning. They are some of the ways we can measure growth, when said growth is difficult to measure in wins and losses. This insistence on downplaying or denying any significance on the positives in a game, because of revulsion at mediocrity or morale victories or whatever, pushes the pendulum in the extreme other direction.

To follow that logic, it makes no difference if we lose by 1 or lose by 50, it still counts as a L. That's true... but only in the standings. It matters everywhere else.

For those that say it doesn't matter, do you really think the 2010 7-9 team and the 2011 7-9 team had no differences between them?
The positives that show Wilson making good strides in the right directions, but the Defense has been dismal at containment at key times, and that is poor Coaching as much as any of the players being out of position, or Coaching the wrong defensive schemes.
Also, we are unable to get past the three and outs, while our opponents are beating the hell out of us in that regards.

Our Defense needs to be Coached up, because I for one am getting pretty sick of the old "Prevent Defense" that didn't work for crap in all our losses in the past.
Pretty words and phrases don't take the sting out of a loss ,especially when it's mistakes that are being repeated time and again.
And the 2010 vs. the 2011 teams? different players, same Coaches, same results.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2msjpr7d said:
BlueTalon":2msjpr7d said:
scutterhawk":2msjpr7d said:

The positives that show Wilson making good strides in the right directions, but the Defense has been dismal at containment at key times, and that is poor Coaching as much as any of the players being out of position, or Coaching the wrong defensive schemes.
Also, we are unable to get past the three and outs, while our opponents are beating the hell out of us in that regards.

Our Defense needs to be Coached up, because I for one am getting pretty sick of the old "Prevent Defense" that didn't work for crap in all our losses in the past.
Pretty words and phrases don't take the sting out of a loss ,especially when it's mistakes that are being repeated time and again.
And the 2010 vs. the 2011 teams? different players, same Coaches, same results.

I agree. Moral victories mean a lot when your team started out where the 2009 Seahawks did. We're in such a better position now.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
The only thing that aggravates me is how ridiculously effective the short passing game is against us. You can throw 5-yard slants and the like on us alllllll day. : /

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16ddv3qx said:
The only thing that aggravates me is how ridiculously effective the short passing game is against us. You can throw 5-yard slants and the like on us alllllll day. : /

Even more aggravating is the fact that this is now the 3rd week in a row that other teams have exposed this weakness, yet Carroll and Bradley haven't fixed it.......or even slowed it down.