Russell Wilson had a great game.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":18t7bzsz said:
Q B O T F

We are at the very beginning of a new era. Great game for this point in his career. A year from now, I expect better. A year after that, I expect pro-bowl performances. For years to come.

Wouldn't that be something! Very excited by his progress and basically the only salve for this game.

TLD0550

Reaction score
Sprfunk":2qjjazfw said:
All three phases...
Can we please have a total game from O D and ST?
Still a lot of time left though.
Can anyone share the last time we played a reputable team and won with a total game ????

legend38

Reaction score
I will say that is nice to have a Seahawks qb that can throw the long ball.Love that Wilson goes deeeep at least once a game.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1vj635ke said:
mikeak":1vj635ke said:
So for those that say it wasn't good / great. Dies your opinion change if the deep pass to Rice is 2 inches shorter / Rice waits another second to turn his head and
catches that deep ball?

Ah.. yup.

We lost by 4.. Wilson left at least 10 points out there.

And this is what I disagree with. Receiver starts looking early slows down or a pass is a few inches overthrown due to a myriad of reason. This can change the outcome of the game but does not alter if a qb played good. Unless it is a continuous issue...

The first drive run 1st, run 2nd pass 3rd. Not critiquing the call (even if I didn't like it) but you can't blame the qb. The redline is tight and especially within the last 10 yards. To have one attempt is not leaving points on the field...

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Wilson is now playing at the adequate level we need for this team to win with the defense we had. Unfortunately, now that defense seems to have been exposed due to an inability to stop the dink and dunk. I also think the loss of Jones hurt us immensely. Our 4 man rush was enough with him out there, now it isn't.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He's improving and that's what he needed to show as a rookie. We can't ask for much more than that.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Bakergirl":3uaerkk0 said:
JSeahawks":3uaerkk0 said:
The int was pretty bad, but otherwise he was solid.

I don't think it was all that bad. Int on a long ball attempt...could have happened to anyone really.

On a side note, I see there are still a lot of people around here wearing Flynn colored glasses.

It was bad because there was a very large window where he could make a much safer throw and still get a big gain. He waited too long and even then if he throws a little short it's probably a long completion, but instead he goes too deep and doesn't notice the safety waiting there to rob him. It was his biggest mistake of the game and it cost us, but it didn't cost us the game. 1 big mistake in an overall very well played game by the young QB.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
I believe today's game proves RW3 should immediately be enshrined in the HOF and Ring of Honor.....oh, yeah, and retire his number too.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Ah, c'mon. Put it into context and he was gr8 like Sugar Frosted Flakes!

He was:
-Great compared to his week one performance.
-Great compared to most any 3rd round rookie starter
-Great in the pocket compared to most ANY rookie starter
-Great composure for a rookie

A great NFL QB? Not yet, as he will readily admit. Can we stop with the Hyperbole? I don't recall any posts in this thread stating that RW has reached great NFL QB status, is an HOFer, has become an all-pro or otherwise.

For all of you that just like to strike out at something after a loss, the 'D' (or lack of) is a much more deserving target, IMO. To the Flynn boosters, sorry, I don't have an answer for that obsession.

rsRyno

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":36qw6jl4 said:
Ah, c'mon. Put it into context and he was gr8 like Sugar Frosted Flakes!

He was:
-Great compared to his week one performance.
-Great compared to most any 3rd round rookie starter
-Great in the pocket compared to most ANY rookie starter
-Great composure for a rookie

A great NFL QB? Not yet, as he will readily admit. Can we stop with the Hyperbole? I don't recall any posts in this thread stating that RW has reached great NFL QB status, is an HOFer, has become an all-pro or otherwise.

For all of you that just like to strike out at something after a loss, the 'D' (or lack of) is a much more deserving target, IMO. To the Flynn boosters, sorry, I don't have an answer for that obsession.

Saying he was great because "compared to how he played before" is like saying Ryan Leaf was great because he threw less INT than a previous game or kicked and screamed less than he had two weeks prior.

While I agree that he looked very good and like a starting caliber QB, we have to also understand this was against a terrible Detroit passing D, then also realize they were missing multiple starters in their secondary. He was great compared to how he has looked on the road, but in real terms, he was merely adequate.

Wilson appears to be making strides, which is exciting. But he also keeps making a lot of mistakes. That INT should have been thrown 5-10 yards shorter and 3 seconds earlier where/when Rice was actually wide open, screaming for the ball. It was a rookie mistake, I get that, but it was still a terrible choice and not one a QB that played a great game makes.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
rsRyno":vc8s9hdx said:
we have to also understand this was against a terrible Detroit passing D, then also realize they were missing multiple starters in their secondary. He was great compared to how he has looked on the road, but in real terms, he was merely adequate.

Just to correct some misconceptions here, according to the stats, the Detroit passing defense was ranked as a top 10 unit in yards allowed this season. In 6 games, they had allowed over 250 yards only twice, and had held opponents to under 200 yards on 3 different occasions. Their biggest problem is that they're not forcing turnovers.

Uffda

Reaction score
Looked ok, not great... offense scored enough to win it but he really looked like a great rookie.

I'm not a hater, just calling it.

pehawk

Reaction score
Umm, Wilson DIDN'T overthrow Rice. Rice messed up that route, period. I swear, some of you just make isht up/

Also, the INT, according to Wilson, Sydney put his hand up which means "I'm going to go on a go route", but in that instance Sydney just meant, "throw it now". Miscommunication which wont happen again - I dont see RW duplicating mistakes.

But, Wilson overthrew RICE on that drop? Dude, in film today, Rice will be getting ripped, not Wilson.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pehawk":2lkn4mt3 said:
Umm, Wilson DIDN'T overthrow Rice. Rice messed up that route, period. I swear, some of you just make isht up/

Also, the INT, according to Wilson, Sydney put his hand up which means "I'm going to go on a go route", but in that instance Sydney just meant, "throw it now". Miscommunication which wont happen again - I dont see RW duplicating mistakes.

But, Wilson overthrew RICE on that drop? Dude, in film today, Rice will be getting ripped, not Wilson.

Wilson gave rice a chance and trusted he would get the ball. Rice didn't see the safety.........

Its really on Rice to go up and grab that ball.

pehawk

Reaction score
I think we're talking seperate plays. I put the INT 80/20 Wilson and Rice.

But, the post (I think it was), early, Rice loafed on his route.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
A great game for Wilson is different than a great game for Rodgers or Brady. Russ played great considering where he is at and what we can ask of him, and played a pretty good game for most NFL QB's.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Wilson is getting better and better, which is exciting. Considering we were playing without Baldwin and Edwards yesterday, I'll take the day he put up.

It was nice to see McCoy get involved in the offense again, and of course to see Miller finally hit pay dirt.

There are still refinements - we all won't agree on the interception but I personally felt if Wilson throws that on a line there instead of floating it a bit that has a better chance.

I will say this - his pocket presence and decision making is way better than week #1. He obviously learns from his mistakes, which is a great sign. Not a surprise to me - I clamored for him in the draft for a reason after watching him the last few seasons.

The ONLY thing that worries me about Wilson right now is the tendency to always escape the pocket to the right when he feels pressure in his face. The commentator yesterday (I believe Tim Ryan) mentioned that he noticed it watching film as well.

pehawk

Reaction score
On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

The WR's will learn to run through the ENTIRE play, that Wilson will keep things alive, and they will be found.

It's just unfamiliarity at this point. Would be the same thing with Flynn too.

OP
OP
ImTheScientist

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
pehawk":29yn230b said:
On the dropped post to Rice and even the TD to Miller, each was a case of the WR needing to trust their QB more. In each case, the receiver assumed the play had stopped behind them. Miller recovered, Rice didn't, unfortunately.

The WR's will learn to run through the ENTIRE play, that Wilson will keep things alive, and they will be found.

Who? Its safe to say we don't need to talk about him anymore.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":l43inp0g said:
pehawk":l43inp0g said:

Who? Its safe to say we don't need to talk about him anymore.

Why not? He is on the team, we need a solid backup as who knows what could happen.