61 yrd field goal?

hawker84

Reaction score
i know this has very little to do with the outcome of today's game... but what in the world made the coaching staff think Houshcka can hit a 61 yrd field goal... he missed every attempt over 50 yrds in the pre-season. why would they think this dude can hit a 61 yarder? just another example of why this coaching staff has me scratching my head, well actually screaming cuss words at my tv every week... some of these decisions just blow me away... :?: i'm nervous when this dude tries anything over 40 yrds let alone 60... WOW

The Radish

Reaction score
There is a new post on this forum from a fan that was there and he said it was much closer than it looked on the jumbotron.

:les:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, lining up i thought there was a 0.01% chance of him making that. Looked to me like the ball didnt even reach the end line of the field before bouncing. He had a better chance of bouncing it off the turf and in (would taht be legal?) then actually kicking it 61 yards. I'm surprised the Lions didnt have somebody back there to try and return it.

I dont mean to knock Hauschka, i think he's a fine kicker, he's just not one of those big leg guys.

getnasty

Reaction score
The play calling to set up the FG is what was horrible. I can't be sure but i think we ran the ball with 20 sec left, lost 2 yards then had to use our last TO.

largenutz

Reaction score
Yea didn't like the draw to turbin, would have rather seen a hail Mary to Tate to end the half! Or a 10 yard pass then fg.

pinksheets

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2d6rrvdh said:
It was at the end of the first half...
Yeah, I don't think they'd have gone for a hail mary as an alternative to giving the FG a shot, I'd have expected a running plan to just wind down the clock. I don't think we missed out on anything.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
getnasty":2u10i2w0 said:
The play calling to set up the FG is what was horrible. I can't be sure but i think we ran the ball with 20 sec left, lost 2 yards then had to use our last TO.

Agree completely.

I completely disagree with the OP however. The way Pete handled this drive was absolutely terrible. Just awful. I don't mind the run call. But there wasn't much hurry up at the beginning of the drive. They should have emphasized the essence of time. Pete was being conservative though. Regardless, that drive was detrimental. Pete should have been taking the blame during the post-game conference. Failed to do so

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not sure what you wanted Carroll to do, throw a hail mary? It was the end of the half, 61 is long, but not impossible.....especially indoors.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gn4zt3re said:
Not sure what you wanted Carroll to do, throw a hail mary? It was the end of the half, 61 is long, but not impossible.....especially indoors.

I'd like him to not run the ball with time left on the clock and a timeout. Even if we gain 5 yards on a running play instead of losing 2, it's still a 54 yard FG, thats better but still no chip shot by any means.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":jpc05cq1 said:
Sgt. Largent":jpc05cq1 said:

I'd like him to not run the ball with time left on the clock and a timeout. Even if we gain 5 yards on a running play instead of losing 2, it's still a 54 yard FG, thats better but still no chip shot by any means.

I was Ok with it, we had the lead..........no need to press it and make a mistake right before the half.

getnasty

Reaction score
We weren't on our own 20, even if we throw a pick in that spot they don't have enough time to score. Playing it coservative cost us momentum and 3 points on the scoreboard.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
We ran EASY 12-15 yard pass plays before that run call. With one T.O. left, we had the whole field to work. All we needed was one more pass play like that to get closer to field goal range. The Lions were giving us that. It was there. Hauschka has a chance from 50-54. Not from 61. That run call was just baffling. I spent the whole half-time break utterly confused why our staff just gave up on trying to get a bonus field goal. I'm usually not one to second guess, but that felt like a big FAIL.

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
pinksheets":3mgexq4f said:
therealjohncarlson":3mgexq4f said:
It was at the end of the first half...
Yeah, I don't think they'd have gone for a hail mary as an alternative to giving the FG a shot, I'd have expected a running plan to just wind down the clock. I don't think we missed out on anything.

They went for a hail mary against ARI in the first half.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Are you guys upset about Pete running it on the play prior (which I think was dumb) or trying the 61 yard field goal? Cuz they are two separate events that you guys seem to be mixing together.

OP
OP
hawker84

hawker84

Reaction score
SoHo9erFan":qa3dy9yj said:
getnasty":qa3dy9yj said:

Agree completely.

I completely disagree with the OP however. The way Pete handled this drive was absolutely terrible. Just awful. I don't mind the run call. But there wasn't much hurry up at the beginning of the drive. They should have emphasized the essence of time. Pete was being conservative though. Regardless, that drive was detrimental. Pete should have been taking the blame during the post-game conference. Failed to do so

so you disagree with me on what subject... ? i mentioned nothing about the terrible play caling on the end of half drive, i'm just wondering why our coaches think a kicker who can't hit a 50 yarder would think he could hit a 61 yarder... i can see that it was at the end of the half , there was still a little time left on the clock though, i would have taken a shot down field, even a int is better would be just like a punt. plus on long field goals like that, there's good chance of a block..

Hawks46

Reaction score
Hawkaroundtheclock hit it on the head.

We were moving right down the field. We take a time out, then get cute and try to take them by surprise and run the ball, and it costs us the 3 points. Just one more pass and it would've been a probable FG.

I think Bevell outsmarted himself on that one. That was a terrible place for a run call, and it would've taken the defense by surprise, but Suh was playing the pass, so he was going for penetration anyways. He got it, and blew up the run play.

As for the FG itself, what else you going to do ? It's higher percentage than hucking a Hail Mary. You aren't going to punt. Nothing else you really do.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The announcers said he'd been able to hit from 57 in warm ups, so 61 was really pushing it....we were sitting at a 59 yarder when Detroit called a timeout. At this point, Wilson went to the sideline and spoke to Carroll....not Bevell. When they went back out there they tried to run the ball with Turbin and lost yardage AND a timeout. If we'd not ran that play we'd have been 2 yards closer and had at least time for one more play before we tried the field goal. This was on Pete, no if ands or buts about it. Besides the fact that Detroit was stuffing our inside runs ALL day long. I was so pissed when they ran the ball. It just was a bad idea when it happened and became a worse idea given the outcome

mikeak

Reaction score
By running with 12 secs you trade 2 plays for 1 play. You run, call time-out and kick - no other options

12 sec left you run a pass play. You have options that can go out of bounds or you accept something 10-15 down the middle. If you have an incomplete / go out of bounds play then you can run on the next play either way those are 2 plays which is greater than 1 play.

If you get it down the middle you use your time-out and significantly improved your chances.

By running you gave up one play and it was a HORRIFIC decision. It was so bad. If they had been 15 yards closer I get it to set things up but they were at the max / outside of the range and they just threw away a play and in this case the chance to get 3 points. I don't care how close it came or if he would have made it. THe play calling there was BAD

Latest posts