Just so we're clear - Lions are the #4 Offense

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Over 400 yards given up. 4 TDs for 28 points given up. 12 out of 16 third down conversions given up. 100% rate for TDs in the red zone given up. This defense gave up one extra yard than they could afford almost every time the situation arose. "Elite" defenses don't do this. Elite defenses stall drives and limit points. On the last drive, the Lions were 3-3 for 18 yards and a TD on 3rd down. This is not "elite" - it's "elite at home."

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":97advnw0 said:
Over 400 yards given up. 4 TDs for 28 points given up. 12 out of 16 third down conversions given up. 100% rate for TDs in the red zone given up. This defense gave up one extra yard than they could afford almost every time the situation arose. "Elite" defenses don't do this. Elite defenses stall drives and limit points. On the last drive, the Lions were 3-3 for 18 yards and a TD on 3rd down. This is not "elite" - it's "elite at home."

Careful with bringing the truth...you might be labeled a doom and gloomer in here.

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
I agree with everyone in this thread except OP and ensett. I don't care if they're playing the Greatest Show on Turf, Montana's 49ers, the 2007 Patriots, etc...allowing 12/16 3rd down conversions is unacceptable. Elite defenses SHUT THE DOOR when given the lead in the 4th quarter.

ensett

Reaction score
All I'm trying to say is, even an elite defense can't do it every time. Even the 2000 ravens defense blew a 4th quarter lead against the Jaguars on a 40 yard TD pass with under 2 minutes to go. Fortunately for them their offense had enough time to recapture the lead. Just because we could have played better doesn't mean you can't give the lions some credit, our team isn't the only one out there.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Seeker":2nauu8vu said:
naw im not buying it, weren't we the number one defense just a few weeks ago?
now we supposed to get beat because they the number four offense?
didn't we go toe to toe with new england? the hands down #1 offense?

this team is good. Just not ready, not yet....

Fixed it for ya. ;)

TheHawkDoc

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":330c6axi said:
Let's just be clear - our defense is overrated.

Agreed. They've given up the lead in the 4th quarter in 3 games this year. Also allowed Bradford to convert 5 third downs of 8 yards or longer. Allowing ~44% third down's to be converted this year. Can't get to the QB on the road. Embarrassing.

hawker84

Reaction score
ensett":3nfrc15a said:
All I'm trying to say is, even an elite defense can't do it every time. Even the 2000 ravens defense blew a 4th quarter lead against the Jaguars on a 40 yard TD pass with under 2 minutes to go. Fortunately for them their offense had enough time to recapture the lead. Just because we could have played better doesn't mean you can't give the lions some credit, our team isn't the only one out there.

i'll give the lions credit for exploiting our seriously weak scheme at protecting the middle.. that's it.. there was no tenacity, no leadership, nobody getting in anybody's face, and telling them to step it up...i saw a lot of head shaking, heads down, looking hopelessly in the distance for their 12th man.... lions looked, stronger , faster, better than our defense... and i blame it all on our coaching staff, starting with the big guy....

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Well, they did shut down Megatron for most of the game. Too bad they forgot there are 10 other players for the Lions on offense. The defense lost this game. They had a lead and couldn't stop the Lions late. That's on the defense. Teams have figured out how to beat the Seahawks - short to mid passes, dink and dunk on them all game long. That's exactly what the Lions did. TE has burned the Seahawks in almost every game this year. Against the Cards, it was Heap destroying them, against the 49ers Walker (a TE) scored the only TD in the game, Lions - Pettigrew and Chandler had good efforts.

Hawks46

Reaction score
11 catches for 120 yards is what Detroit's TE's did to us.

So here's the question....Detroit had the 4th rated offense. The Saints had a 2nd rated offense. Denver's defense crushed them. I'm not sure, but I don't think they were a top 10 rated defense. So....does that mean that Denver's defense is now elite ? Or the Saints offense was overrated ? What it means to me is that any game can be an anomoly. They schemed well, and won the game in convincing fashion. They stopped an elite offense, and dictated the pace and tempo of what they could do. And that's a good defense, not elite.

Our defense definately isn't elite. We don't seem to scheme well, and the same things have been beating us all year. It's not different things, it's the same things. I'm starting to get a little worried about our game schemes and adjustments from our coaching staff. I will say that our D is young and can improve, but we know we have top 5 personnel talent.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3jnyi8m4 said:

Our "elite at home" defense gave up similar stats to Tom Brady and you didn't complain.

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":dsbqvo79 said:
Our "elite at home" defense gave up similar stats to Tom Brady and you didn't complain.

Lots of people did. Lots of people were concerned about that fact that despite big hits on Welker he had 100+ yards against us. All season long people here have been concerned about the plays across the middle for medium yardage killing us. Arizona game - loss, Detroit game - loss - same way move the ball slowly and methodically across the field for long sustained drives that not only exploits the defense but also tires them out

This was an offense that just got SHUT DOWN by Chicago. They were dominated last Monday night and now they were unstoppable?

Hawks46

Reaction score
"Our "elite at home" defense gave up similar stats to Tom Brady and you didn't complain"

I didn't complain about the yards, and I was happy with the score of the Pats. The Pats scored 23 against us, when they were averaging 29. They were the 2nd ranked offense points-wise in the league at the time. We held them to under their average and won.

Detroit scored 28 against us, when they were averaging 21.8. If we held them to their average, we'd have won. Detroit was around the 19th ranked team for scoring offense before the game. If we'd held them to that 22 points, we win. If we held them to 6 points under their average (like we did to the Pats), it would've been a 2 score win.

kearly

Reaction score
Matt Stafford had a GREAT game. Our defense didn't play it's very best, but that was arguably the best QB performance against us all year, IMO. He was feeling pressure, buying time, finding targets, and was unbelievably efficient on 3rd down. He made some really tough throws look routine.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1pncp6fm said:

THIS from the guy who can't stop making favorable comparisons to the Baltimore Ravens of 2000 and 2005 (aren't they the same?).

Make up your mind.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kmedic":1t2vwr46 said:
Absolutely worst game by our "vaunted" defense of the season. 10 freaking days to prepare too for this team. All I gotta say is this better not be a trend. Where was Kam and KJ today? They did absolutely nothing. Sherm got absolutely burned by Titus Young on their 2nd TD and Browner got caught with his pants down on the last drive. And our "stellar pass rush"? Irvin has been non-existent the past few weeks and Clem only had a few impact plays today. Horrible Pete, you better be kicking some ass this week in practice.
Yes, and some of the asses that need kicking FIRST, are HIS OWN, AND HIS Defensive COACHES
This was a sloppily called Defensive game, from stem to stern.
There sure are a lot of excuse makers for this game.
With 3 days to map out a win against the 49rs, and we lose a close one in their back yard.
With NINE days to FIX some problems, and shed the funk of that loss, we should have been way more prepared.
I honestly think that some of the Coaches were expecting the players to win, and I might be wrong, but think they may have taken this game for granted.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":2qnws8zc said:
Matt Stafford had a GREAT game. Our defense didn't play it's very best, but that was arguably the best QB performance against us all year, IMO. He was feeling pressure, buying time, finding targets, and was unbelievably efficient on 3rd down. He made some really tough throws look routine.
yes, and our Defense didn't have an answer to that ONE player.
The Lions obviously had a great game plan and Stafford executed it without any real hampering.
Stafford is no Brady, and he's no Rodgers.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":3hgc782l said:
Just like Kolb, just like Brady, just like Bradford....seeing a pattern here? It's not that the QB's had great games, it's that our defense ALLOWED them to have great games.