So what receiver do we sign tomorrow? Or do we go PS?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
It's arguable whether we need another WR. BUT, how amazing would this team look with a big, stellar WR? VERY amazing.

I suppose any team could say the same. So where do we get a guy who commands respect from opposing D's? Not to hijack the question at hand, but if there's nobody available now, is there anyone available after this season who could seriously improve our offense?

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Probably from the college ranks. This is a pretty strong class of receivers in college right now, and it looks even stronger when comparing it to who will be on the open market in the NFL this offseason. There just aren't many good receivers that are heading into free agency, unless there are some serious surprises as far as cuts go. I know Bowe wants out of KC, but he's getting up there in age (somewhere around 27 or 28 years old). There is also the Mike Wallace situation in Pittsburgh, but again... I think he's not as great as advertised. I think the best bet is to get a guy from the college ranks.

I'd love it if the Hawks got a guy from my old school - BYU - named Cody Hoffman. He's about 6'4" and 220 and catches everything thrown at him. Many times he's got 8 or 9 catches piled up on slants and short outs before he burns a team long with his deceptive speed. He reminds me of Sidney on that play against New England where he just split the defenders and ran right by everybody. I think his going pro will depend on where he can go in the draft (he's a junior). He's never had a good QB throwing to him, and is still a spectacular player. Last year on a team that was primarily running the option he had about 60 grabs for close to 1,000 yards and I think 10 TD's. This year the QB play has been even worse and he's well on his way to having better statistics, and he's done it against some VERY good teams (anybody who watched BYU play Notre Dame, I'm sure you saw #2 at receiver for BYU... that's Cody, and he's the real deal). So I think we'll be able to snag a receiver or two in the draft this year that should play well. That was what New Orleans did when they got Mecham and Colston, and they have both paid huge dividends, especially getting Colston in the 7th. Hoffman reminds me very much of Colston actually. Big, strong, and sure-handed.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Today took us a bit closer to being in a position to draft Robert Woods. IF he is available, or we don't have to trade too far up to get him, we'd be crazy to pass on him. Woods runs better routes than any WR currently on our roster, including Rice, IMO.

Wilson is a QB that needs his receivers to be exactly where they are supposed to be for him to be successful. He will have that in Woods and his addition would take this unit from good...to excellent. Rice and Woods will open up the underneath for Tate/Baldwin and Lynch and Turbin will instantly benefit as well.

WR, LB, OL BPA BPA BPA BPA (thinks me)

pehawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1ej24rdx said:
Wilson is a QB that needs his receivers to be exactly where they are supposed to be for him to be successful. He will have that in Woods and his addition would take this unit from good...to excellent. Rice and Woods will open up the underneath for Tate/Baldwin and Lynch and Turbin will instantly benefit as well.

WR, LB, OL BPA BPA BPA BPA (thinks me)

No Wilson is not. He threw open Turbin, Moore, Tate (2 times last week). And, threw open Zach today, nicely.

Just because some knucklehead says that about Wilson, doesn't mean repeat it. He's far from a spot throwing QB.

Uggh, this place.

pehawk

Reaction score
Rice's dropped bomb was Wilson throwing him open today too.

Where do people come up with this nonsense?

OP
OP
SharkHawk

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Concur PE. Wilson has shown that one of his real amazing skills is his ability to place the ball where it needs to be. He isn't throwing it where a guy is... he's throwing it where the guy needs to be. Sidney spoke on that very subject post Patriots game saying he was watching that beautiful ball sailing and knew he just had to get there. Russell put it exactly where his receiver HAD to be. Had he thrown it to where Sidney was, it would have been underthrown, or it would have been more toward the defender on Sid's right side and he'd have had to fight for the ball. Sidney had to move in to the middle and get under that ball. Your example on Miller is another prime one. I couldn't agree more.

Too many guys read the Kiper stuff and keep it locked in their heads. You guys here that are posting and reading are smart. You know what you're seeing. Don't assume that because some "expert" said it that they're right, and what you're seeing is somehow incorrect.

I learned a great lesson from a national media head once when Keith Olbermann was in his earlier days with ESPN and was subbing for somebody on their national morning radio show (it may have been Dan Patrick's first radio show). Somebody that was a fan of the Packers called and asked Keith what he thought of some young player, and Keith said, "How about this.... YOU tell me about the player. You watch the Packers every week. I don't. I try to keep track of every single team so I can give you a minute of highlights on Sportscenter. That's about as much as I can do. You guys follow them from draft day and every day of practice, games, etc. So... from now on, if you call in and want to talk about a specific player or team, I want to hear what YOU think so you can teach ME about the team. I just work in the national media. It doesn't mean I know anything."

I was impressed, and I listened for 3 hours and learned a ton about players from all around the league and really enjoyed watching that season. I can remember a Rams fan calling in and saying they had a young kid named Isaac Bruce who was one to watch, and the guy went through all of these specifics that he'd seen and that he thought Bruce wasn't a backup type player, and would be a star. Keith was like, "wow, thanks for the information. I'm writing it down and we'll keep our eyes on Mr. Bruce, thanks for the heads-up." Wouldn't you know it... the caller was 100% right, and if it wasn't for Keith opening the show up to that, I don't know that I would have noticed Isaac Bruce so fast and enjoyed watching him play. As much as I hated the Rams, that guy was a joy to watch play the game. He was everything the fan said he was, and everything the opposite of what the draftniks and Keith's coworkers had said.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Shark, that was really cool to read. Props, and thanks for sharing. It's those little moments in sports fandom that count the most.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, Shark's on it. And, I'm glad. Our Mountain West/WAC scout needs to post outside of those duties, more often.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
pehawk":1dmblv9q said:
Yeah, Shark's on it. And, I'm glad. Our Mountain West/WAC scout needs to post outside of those duties, more often.

:twisted: :mrgreen: