So what receiver do we sign tomorrow? Or do we go PS?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I can see a few free agent receivers that might be a help right now. I personally would like to see Mike Williams return. He's a possession guy. He's tall. He might work well with RW3 for a couple of weeks while Baldwin and Edwards heal. Or do we just bring up Kearse? It seeems to me like Martin doesn't really offer anything. Not particularly fast, tall, etc. Has good hands, but we need somebody that can get open and get the ball. Williams is like a WR version of Miller, and Russ seems to be getting the hang of throwing to him. Is Mike just not ready to play or has he officially retired or what? I see a couple of other guys that are available that would be helpful, but if we are going to go with a lot of short passes (as we have been) then BMW makes some sense, and then throw long to Sid and Tate.
    R.I.P. Dad. I miss you. You will never be forgotten
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Maybe Butler?

Agreed with Martin - he had a good pre-season but it seems like the game is a little too big for him.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Butler sounds good. Young, fast, good hands, has a career ahead of him. He is a pretty good replacement for Baldwin for the time being I believe. They are pretty similar in size and work ethic.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• If we use Butler as a possession guy instead of what we "thought" he would be -- a down field threat because of his straight line speed - he might do some good.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I always thought Butler looked good in a role like Obomanu is used. He's sneaky. He can elevate and go low and catch the ball on short routes. I don't see any difference between him physically and that Mr. What's his head Sr. that tore us up today. Why we wouldn't have kept him around and instead kept Martin is getting more baffling by the week. Butler had an injury and wasn't drafted by this braintrust, but he is a hard worker and can catch the ball and run after the catch. Isn't this the kind of guy you want when you're working your short passing game 90% of the time when you are passing?
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• I remain surprized we (or anyone else) have not brought Burress in for a look. I doubt he's any worse than Edwards (or T.O.) and I doubt he'll ever shoot himself in the crotch again.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• Hmmm... during the game, I wondered about receiver help, and I found myself wishing we still had Ricardo Lockett.
    49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
    49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.
    BlueTalon
    * NET Curmudgeon *
    * NET Curmudgeon *

• I think everybody assumed the Jets were ready to sign him considering how bad their offense is. When they didn't, then I think everybody decided there was something seriously wrong with his health or conditioning or attitude and he wasn't worth a look. I don't doubt he could really help a team, but after the Jets and Giants both passed then I felt the same thing I'm sure many GM's did.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Tuinei for the win! (edit: is he even available?)
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• Receiver really wasn't an area of concern for this game.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I noticed we were short as Turbin was lining up at WR several times when we went to 4 WR's and he was hurt at the time (he had injured his leg and had a hard time running). We are two receivers short right now roster wise though with both Edwards out and Baldwin out for an extended period. Edwards could very well return this week, but he could also have to undergo an arthroscopy on his knee to at the very least drain it and find out why it keeps swelling up. We're going to have to add somebody just to fill out the roster this week to replace Baldwin I think. Activating Martin helps, but he's just not that good unfortunately and usually doesn't play.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• SharkHawk wrote:I think everybody assumed the Jets were ready to sign him considering how bad their offense is. When they didn't, then I think everybody decided there was something seriously wrong with his health or conditioning or attitude and he wasn't worth a look. I don't doubt he could really help a team, but after the Jets and Giants both passed then I felt the same thing I'm sure many GM's did.

I considered this but there was some special on Burress last week (or ?) that suggested he was fit and as solid as ever (!?). Apparently this show failed to impress even one GM so I think your theory holds much water.

I've been a fan of Butler's since PSU. I sincerely hope he gets another shot and believe there is a place for him in this league. Just unsure if it is with us (long term), not as long as we have Tate and Baldwin. That's too many non-giants for the taller plans of PC.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• totally agree shark,why was mw not signed in first place? what was issue there?
    canadian seahawker
    NET Bench Warmer

• I sometimes wonder how good this team could be if we had one of those young guys like Green or Jones to just chuck the ball up to.

We already kind of do it with Tate, but he's 4-5 inches shorter than them.
    BillHawks
    NET Starter

• We have a guy like that in Rice. He's big, great hands, fast. He just needs other guys to take pressure off of him, as he did in Minnesota. They had a great running back a real impressive pass catching TE, and a QB that wasn't afraid to just chuck the ball up to him. He really put up some massive numbers in that season.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• If there were a great WR .. he wouldn't be a FA.

Again - our problems aren't at WR. They had one bad game collectively against the 49ers.. aside from that they've been fine.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• With Baldwin out and Edwards knee flaring up, we have to sign someone just for numbers.

I like Butler -- but it could be Durham or one of the free agents.

No way we sign Owens .. I think he's totally done
    * NET Staff *

• Another WR is not needed. The guys on the team are getting better every week. This team is gradually getting better the longer they play together. Short and intermediate passes were lacking prior to this game and the offense took another step forward this week by including more of them. The Seahawks are in the midst of creating a new identity on offense. They want to be a balanced team and are doing what they can to take the steps needed to get there. The Seahawks fell short today, but overall the offense took a big step forward.

With the difficult part of the schedule out of the way, it will be smoother sailing from here on out. Plus, with the offense stepping up each week, by the time the playoffs roll around, Seattle will be poised to make a deep playoff run.

Step away from the W-L record as of now and look at the TEAM overall. They're actually doing quite well with a rookie at QB and are progressing nicely. Go back and watch every game in the order played and you'll definitely see it. I saw Russell more comfortable in the pocket this week than I've ever seen him.

It STILL feels like it's going to be a special season for the Seahawks to me.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

• Thanks Hawkstorian. That's all I'm saying. We're short at receiver now due to 2 players being physically unable to play. I wasn't blaming the game on the WR's. The offense put up 28 points. This was strictly a discussion on the roster being down 2 men that play WR coming into today's game and at least one of them who is expected to be out longer term. I'm sure the plan for today was just to activate Charley (which they did ) and Edwards would step in as a starter or at least get the majority of the reps in place of Baldwin (or whoever replaced Baldwin). Now we're just looking at numbers. I don't expect to sign a future superstar, but the management team has been good about finding some diamonds. I'm just wondering if any of our former guys (specifically BWM and Deon Butler) might be a wise choice to fill a slot for a few weeks, or if the team will just elevate Kearse from the PS and go with who we have.

I didn't bring it up... but, there is also a trade deadline coming up. Any "great" receivers available who have a team ready to dump them? I know that guy for the Jets is severely overrated and they've wanted out of his contract since before the ink dried (Santonio?), but I'd avoid him. He's overrated. Mike Walllace will likely be gone from Pitssburgh, but I'm not sure if he's worth risking any picks over, since he could leave at the end of the year and to me the guy is just Deion Branch part 2. Total system guy. I'm trying to think of a really good possession guy like Baldwin that may be up there in years and could be had on the cheap from a team going nowhere. Sort of a guy like Derek Mason was on the Ravens... a guy who was wrapping up his career, but still had enough in the tank to help for a few weeks and help get the team through the rough patch and also provide some leadership.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• rideaducati -- we have 4 healthy receivers right now -- there will be an addiition -- even if it's just someone off the PS.

SharkHawk -- I seriously doubt the Seahawks make a trade based on short term health issues. Just not their style.
    * NET Staff *

• It's arguable whether we need another WR. BUT, how amazing would this team look with a big, stellar WR? VERY amazing.

I suppose any team could say the same. So where do we get a guy who commands respect from opposing D's? Not to hijack the question at hand, but if there's nobody available now, is there anyone available after this season who could seriously improve our offense?
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• I like this rideaducati guy!
    largenutz
    NET Veteran

• Probably from the college ranks. This is a pretty strong class of receivers in college right now, and it looks even stronger when comparing it to who will be on the open market in the NFL this offseason. There just aren't many good receivers that are heading into free agency, unless there are some serious surprises as far as cuts go. I know Bowe wants out of KC, but he's getting up there in age (somewhere around 27 or 28 years old). There is also the Mike Wallace situation in Pittsburgh, but again... I think he's not as great as advertised. I think the best bet is to get a guy from the college ranks.

I'd love it if the Hawks got a guy from my old school - BYU - named Cody Hoffman. He's about 6'4" and 220 and catches everything thrown at him. Many times he's got 8 or 9 catches piled up on slants and short outs before he burns a team long with his deceptive speed. He reminds me of Sidney on that play against New England where he just split the defenders and ran right by everybody. I think his going pro will depend on where he can go in the draft (he's a junior). He's never had a good QB throwing to him, and is still a spectacular player. Last year on a team that was primarily running the option he had about 60 grabs for close to 1,000 yards and I think 10 TD's. This year the QB play has been even worse and he's well on his way to having better statistics, and he's done it against some VERY good teams (anybody who watched BYU play Notre Dame, I'm sure you saw #2 at receiver for BYU... that's Cody, and he's the real deal). So I think we'll be able to snag a receiver or two in the draft this year that should play well. That was what New Orleans did when they got Mecham and Colston, and they have both paid huge dividends, especially getting Colston in the 7th. Hoffman reminds me very much of Colston actually. Big, strong, and sure-handed.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Today took us a bit closer to being in a position to draft Robert Woods. IF he is available, or we don't have to trade too far up to get him, we'd be crazy to pass on him. Woods runs better routes than any WR currently on our roster, including Rice, IMO.

Wilson is a QB that needs his receivers to be exactly where they are supposed to be for him to be successful. He will have that in Woods and his addition would take this unit from good...to excellent. Rice and Woods will open up the underneath for Tate/Baldwin and Lynch and Turbin will instantly benefit as well.

WR, LB, OL BPA BPA BPA BPA (thinks me)
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:
    Wilson is a QB that needs his receivers to be exactly where they are supposed to be for him to be successful. He will have that in Woods and his addition would take this unit from good...to excellent. Rice and Woods will open up the underneath for Tate/Baldwin and Lynch and Turbin will instantly benefit as well.

WR, LB, OL BPA BPA BPA BPA (thinks me)

No Wilson is not. He threw open Turbin, Moore, Tate (2 times last week). And, threw open Zach today, nicely.

Just because some knucklehead says that about Wilson, doesn't mean repeat it. He's far from a spot throwing QB.

Uggh, this place.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Yea, if anything I would say that Wilsons strength is in improvization.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Rice's dropped bomb was Wilson throwing him open today too.

Where do people come up with this nonsense?
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Concur PE. Wilson has shown that one of his real amazing skills is his ability to place the ball where it needs to be. He isn't throwing it where a guy is... he's throwing it where the guy needs to be. Sidney spoke on that very subject post Patriots game saying he was watching that beautiful ball sailing and knew he just had to get there. Russell put it exactly where his receiver HAD to be. Had he thrown it to where Sidney was, it would have been underthrown, or it would have been more toward the defender on Sid's right side and he'd have had to fight for the ball. Sidney had to move in to the middle and get under that ball. Your example on Miller is another prime one. I couldn't agree more.

Too many guys read the Kiper stuff and keep it locked in their heads. You guys here that are posting and reading are smart. You know what you're seeing. Don't assume that because some "expert" said it that they're right, and what you're seeing is somehow incorrect.

I learned a great lesson from a national media head once when Keith Olbermann was in his earlier days with ESPN and was subbing for somebody on their national morning radio show (it may have been Dan Patrick's first radio show). Somebody that was a fan of the Packers called and asked Keith what he thought of some young player, and Keith said, "How about this.... YOU tell me about the player. You watch the Packers every week. I don't. I try to keep track of every single team so I can give you a minute of highlights on Sportscenter. That's about as much as I can do. You guys follow them from draft day and every day of practice, games, etc. So... from now on, if you call in and want to talk about a specific player or team, I want to hear what YOU think so you can teach ME about the team. I just work in the national media. It doesn't mean I know anything."

I was impressed, and I listened for 3 hours and learned a ton about players from all around the league and really enjoyed watching that season. I can remember a Rams fan calling in and saying they had a young kid named Isaac Bruce who was one to watch, and the guy went through all of these specifics that he'd seen and that he thought Bruce wasn't a backup type player, and would be a star. Keith was like, "wow, thanks for the information. I'm writing it down and we'll keep our eyes on Mr. Bruce, thanks for the heads-up." Wouldn't you know it... the caller was 100% right, and if it wasn't for Keith opening the show up to that, I don't know that I would have noticed Isaac Bruce so fast and enjoyed watching him play. As much as I hated the Rams, that guy was a joy to watch play the game. He was everything the fan said he was, and everything the opposite of what the draftniks and Keith's coworkers had said.
    1/12/39 - 8/7/08
    SharkHawk
    * NET Alumni *

• Shark, that was really cool to read. Props, and thanks for sharing. It's those little moments in sports fandom that count the most.
    HawkAroundTheClock
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, Shark's on it. And, I'm glad. Our Mountain West/WAC scout needs to post outside of those duties, more often.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:Yeah, Shark's on it. And, I'm glad. Our Mountain West/WAC scout needs to post outside of those duties, more often.

:twisted: :mrgreen:
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:57 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information